Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  15:41:58  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got my copy in-store on friday and I did enjoy it. Disc 1 is great to have the old demos. Excellent but something that may well have been a bootleg like he said in the liners. As for Disc 2. I thought it was great. I will admit that one or two were pretty annoying but I was really into the majority of it. I love that some sound like Marching Band treatments and others were more Noir-ish and loungey.

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  00:13:08  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the treated disc, they could have extened Planet of Sound without the repetition. The first disc is interesting for us Uber fans.

As an Uber fan I've had time to think this through
Pixies catalogue = gospel
Purple Tapes/Come on Pilgrim = Book of Black
Surfer Rosa = Book of Kim
Doolittle = Book of Joey
Bossanova = Book of David
Planet of Sound = Book of Eric
Go to Top of Page

tommmm
- FB Fan -

Australia
22 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  00:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
trompe le monde you mean?
Go to Top of Page

whoreatthedoor
> Teenager of the Year <

Spain
2873 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  05:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should be:
Surfer Rosa = Book of Dave

"¡¡¡Bien!!!, dame el ritmo. Así es mejor" - Jonathan Richman
Go to Top of Page

Zsolt G.
- FB Fan -

117 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  11:00:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FBF is worst Frank or Pixies release ever. Period.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  13:29:19  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is Frank's solo work the New Testament, then?

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
Go to Top of Page

Antoinette
- FB Fan -

64 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  13:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually really dig Disc 2, a lot. Fun fun fun, and Monkey Gone to Heaven is beautiful as always. Lighten up dudes
Go to Top of Page

ispini tapaidh
- FB Fan -

Ireland
122 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  07:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first disc is fantastic. I've only listened to disc 2 once, so I ain't gonna judge it yet. Sounds okay though.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  15:37:25  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Okay, I've had some time to digest the two CDs, and here are my thoughts:

Disc 1: It's interesting to hear how the songs developed, and Frank's comments and singing of drum and guitar parts is amusing. The sound quality is surprisingly good.
Disc 2: Kind of an odd concept, since I get the idea that one of the main things people like about the Pixies is the relentless energy of their songs. "Velouria" and "Holiday Song" are pretty good, and I like the fake bell sounds on "Levitate Me," and the fake violin on "Into The White." "Monkey Gone To Heaven" and "Nimrod's Son" are pretty weak, and "Planet Of Sound" is just too much.

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  10:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad I bought it because it's yet another way to support Frank. I do like what someone termed the Syd-Barrett-like first disc, can only deal with occasional listening sessions of the second disc. Overall, it's a novelty item more than anything else.

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Frank
Go to Top of Page

the tolerant
= Cult of Ray =

298 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  11:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zsolt G.

FBF is worst Frank or Pixies release ever. Period.

you could say that (you did!), but its not suppose to be viewed as another FB record with the likes of Surfer, Cult, Pistolero or SMYT. as a player of the guitar its just awesome to have just Black Francis and his playing the songs as he wrote them. just the two of them.
to me its priceless. he didnt have to release these versions, but he has. and i couldnt be happier. what a treat to warm up my f**kin cold winter.

oh. and its another few bucks in the mans back pocket. he deserves more.

Edited by - the tolerant on 10/21/2004 11:28:53
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  11:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'd rather give money to the homeless. actually, until they write a song as good as Hey or something, fuck 'em.

anyway, i ordered it online on monday (after having a look to see if HMV or Virgin had it - nope)... hope to get it tomorrow.

Edited by - PixieSteve on 10/21/2004 11:34:04
Go to Top of Page

the tolerant
= Cult of Ray =

298 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  11:41:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh i give my money to the homeless too, more than the government does i guess. i dug their last release. what was it again? =)

yeah i checked out few record shops locally, then while up Blackpool last weekend i sussed out HMV and the rest but no sign of FBF.
i always have the experience of having to check the F, B and P sections for Frank records? what does Frank come under. someone should let these shops know.

Edited by - the tolerant on 10/21/2004 11:42:57
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  18:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
101cd.com took ages to get this to me (could have bought it 5 days ago locally) -- and still haven't replied to my 'where is it' email sent 2 days ago -- but...

Oh My Golly with the different lyrics rules. Interestingly, I'm Amazed seems to have been edited, as it's the same version as that of the 'Golden Ticket' Death to the Pixies version, but he doesn't fuck up and restart on the 'packed it up, up, up' part...

I'm amazed (ha) also that he can pull off Subbacultcha and Vamos solo!

--
"Nothing to do about it..."
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2004 :  07:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i ordered on monday night from 101cd.com, got an email late afternoon on tuesday saying it had been processed and that usually it get's dispatched the same day. it didn't come til saturday. even if it wasn't dispatched til wednesday morning, 3 days in the the post for what i believe is meant to be 1st class... hmm.... maybe it was just a problem with the post. but anyway, it was cheap and i'm nto really bothered, hah.

i actually quite like the second disc.
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2004 :  08:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got mine a few days ago and like both discs very much. Always wanted Frank to reinterpret some of his stuff but never expected him to go that way. If the guy ever runs out of new materal (ha!) he could make a career out reworking his catalog. And the demo disc! Last night I kept breaking into "Boom Chickaboom" during the baseball game. Only listened to both discs twice as I received "Smile" in the same delivery so I've had to split my attention, and double my fun. "Smile" is much greater than I expected. Really sheds light on the whole Olivia Tremor Control kind of act, adding to that other, Beach Boys, strain of sixties psych-pop that stands in healthy complement to the Beatles. What an wonderfully odd time-capsule, both a pity in that it waited over thirty years and a joy that we have it at all. Fresh FB and Brian, not a bad week.
Go to Top of Page

therewererumours
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1240 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2004 :  21:17:35  Show Profile  Visit therewererumours's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! Got FBF the other day. Franks acoustic demos are beautiful, makes me wish he'd do an acoustic album. Disc two is amazing! I can't stop listing to Nimrods Son, Monkey Gone to Heaven,The Holiday Song, Into The White and Planet of Sound. It all sounds like Tom Waits meets Tortoise, but it's Frank(not Black Francis) singing Pixies songs!, I love it! and I love Frank for doing it!, and will be listening to it for a very long time!!!

Go to Top of Page

the thing
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  02:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally got hold of FBF - only 2 weeks later than anticipated (Play.com still haven't got my copy in stock).

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting much, more of a completist purchase than anything else, but my God that first disc is pure gold, it's a timecapsule piece, sure, but in the best sense of the term, encapsulating all the vigour and excitement of the beginning of something very special. I think this session is far more fascinating than the Purple Tape, Subbacultcha is stunning and hearing the evolution of songs like Oh My Golly and finally a "proper" version of Boom Chicka Boom make this fairly indispensible. I was expecting something like the "Dream is Over" bootleg, good but with something missing, and sure this isn't "Pixies", but its embryonic rather than amputated, and as such far more satisfying.

And the second disc? Jurys still out, half of me thinks they are amazing and fascinating, and the other half knows that listening to a whole disc of it drives me up the wall. The Pale Boys have said that they intend their music to be best on the first two listens - and the same could be said of these offerings, fascinating and exciting on the first few listens, jarring and even slightly dull on repeated airings, something to be savoured on trawls through the back catalogue, but never an a-list contender - but then I dont think that was the Mans intention anyway.

"This one is meant to sound like Husker Du..." I mean come on guys - shivers down the spine, surely???

Forget the cults I got me a whole church!
Go to Top of Page

Hantra
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  06:57:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's what I don't understand about that whole FBF thing.

First off, I love the first disc. It's raw, and I think it is awesome that this was released.

On to the Trashed. . I mean. . Treated disc. . .

FB's explanation on doing the treated disc is that he felt new fans might feel shortchanged because of the quality if he JUST released the demo disc alone. So he did the pale thing, and did this disc to combat THAT?

I don't know about you all, but I consider myself a pretty hardcore fan, and I run screaming away from my stereo when this disc is in rotation! I can only IMAGINE what a new fan must be thinking. This has GOT to alienate the new fan much worse than the demo disc alone would have.

And if I was a Pixies member, I'd be pissed that these songs are so trashed.

Whew. . I feel better. . . LOL!
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  07:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "treated" disc in getting lots of good reviews in the press and I've read people on other boards say good things about it. Some folks here were predicting mass hatred for it outside of the fanboy dorksquad circle and in the reviews. It's nice to see that isn't so.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  12:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, it's all starting to grow on me now.
Both discs sound better the more I listen. Can we get a
Catholics album next?

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3426 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  13:37:45  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
listening to disc one has got me a bit confused.
i thought these were the same sessions that i'm amazed/broken face came from that were released on the vinyls on DTTP, but if you listen to i'm amazed, he doesn't fuck up like on the dttp version, but everything else sounds exactly the same - so have the fbf versions been edited to take out the mistakes, and why aren't the tracks running concurrently, which they obviously do from listening to the dttp versions?
anyone?
not important i know, but was the first things that struck me when listening to them...

and for the record, i'm digging the 2nd disc more than the first right now.

Join the Cult of Cartman! Respect my Authoritaah!!!
Go to Top of Page

Avid-Fan
- FB Fan -

100 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  04:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally got FBF [USA/spinart version] in the post today, opened it up and......... I got 2 x demo discs & no treated disc.
Did anyone else have a similar problem to this, or am I the only poor fool who received the wrong discs!?
and btw, yes it was a sealed copy...

(( I talk plain talk ))
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  04:51:53  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that sucks avid-fan, horrible mistake

anyway I got FBF yesterday
and I like it
I look at it in the same way as I look at The Black Sessions/Kitchen Tapes
and maybe even Oddballs

just a quickie between two albums
nothing super special
although I have to say that I don't get the Two Pale Boys bashing
I think what they did is perfect
I'm not really into it
but it's better than expect after all that moaning from other fans
well, maybe it's not there cup of tea
that's possible

For Demo part, well there are just demos
I heard the golden ticket version of I'm Amazed
and with the mistake it's better than without the mistake
(I believe that that's one of the editing jobs Joey did)
I like a bit diversity, a mistake makes it more special
in the same vein as the telephone in nimrod, and frank's explaining the drum parts
I wished they had let the mistake that I know of in the song, and maybe some other mistakes too

BTW the mastering was done by a guy Mylos Something
isn't that the guy from the Pixies DVD?

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  12:58:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine arrived today, here in Portugal things get a little delayed...but I didn´t mind because I had listened to it already.
The CD cover is very nice, I didn´t knew it was Jean´s artwork!

No peito dos desafinados
Também bate um coração
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  15:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It just keeps growing on me. I am diggin' it.

Go to Top of Page

Foucaults Dog
- FB Fan -

Ireland
124 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  17:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FBF finally came two weeks late from CD WoW, and wow, worth the wait.

The first disc is fantastic in a really nostalgic kinda way, plus it offers a whole repetoire for busking pixies tunes.

Disc two is exquisite, Frank is an ARTIST and has proved it here. The brass really gives an hispanic flavour to the tunes and the ambience of the whole recording is just sublime. Only one track fails for me, but the reworkings just prove the point that whatever you do to a great song it retains its beauty.

Also, the improved diction/clarity answers all those lyrical riddles that I'd been pondering.

Nice one Charles, you never let me down.
Go to Top of Page

twist
- FB Fan -

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  20:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After giving FBF a fair shot at it disc 1 remains in the carousel as part of the shuffle mix, I think it's great and more than a novelty. Disc 2 proves CT has finally gone insane, but I'll buy his music even when he's following his muse into the sanatorium.
Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2004 :  21:17:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being a fan of Pere Ubu and David Thomas' Work, I have to admit that Frank Black Francis is the best album of the 2 Pale Boys I heard, probably because the songs are real songs, while David Thomas ones sound more like evil though groovy litanies, check out "Erewhon" 1995, which is the best they recorded with Thomas.

HW
Go to Top of Page

godin radiator
- FB Fan -

Netherlands
7 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  00:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty pleased with the discs. Disc one is a true addition to my pixies collection. I did not know what to expect from the second cd. It's a welcome twist to some of my favorite songs. It's pretty sedate, I think it will do just fine in my car stereo. It will save me al lot of fuel!

And this is for all you downloaders: MP3 ruins music. 128kbs is not enough to express music. It shallows it down to an efficient code, but it loses it's soul that a cd can reproduce (not as vinyl though)

rock me joe
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  03:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don´t know what is happening but this is the first time that I buy a Cd that has some problems...I can´t listen disc2. I will have to replace it and wait some more time untill the store gets another...Weird thing!

No peito dos desafinados
Também bate um coração
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  10:46:31  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
And this is for all you downloaders: MP3 ruins music. 128kbs is not enough to express music. It shallows it down to an efficient code, but it loses it's soul that a cd can reproduce (not as vinyl though)

Eh, if music has enough soul, then that can show through despite compression and "lossiness" and all that other audiophile garbage. Mind you, I'd rather have the CD, too, but for different reasons. I mean, sound quality is important, but I sometimes think the people who are all, "I don't think the production is very good here, and it's too compressed, and blah blah blah" are only hurting themselves.

Go to Top of Page

godin radiator
- FB Fan -

Netherlands
7 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  13:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not at all. I started using MP3 and just wasn't satisfied. It's not audiophile snobism. You just loose out on dynamics. I've compressed songs to 256kbs for use my car, it just sounds awfull compared to the uncompressed music. Especially the drum and guitar riffs. I must admit that i'm cursed with good ears. But the digital evolution has taken a path in favour of lazyness and cheapness at the expense of quality.
It just doesn't work for me.

rock me joe
Go to Top of Page

rocknrolldan
- FB Fan -

Australia
28 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  04:26:04  Show Profile  Visit rocknrolldan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I searched record stores trying to find it for the past 2, 3 weeks. FB's solo records are hard to come by in Australia. My local Independent store finally got it in yesterday. When I first listened to it I thought it was horrible, but it's starting to grow on me now.
The demo is good to have, not something I’d listen to frequently but shows how some of the Pixies best songs, some of my all time favourite songs were born.

The 2nd CD has its moments, I like 'Levitate Me' and 'Veloria'. I figured when I bought the CD that the songs won't work without Kim, Joey and Dave. It's just over-produced and lacks the raw, unpretentious, loudness that makes the pixies so damn awesome. 'Nimrods Son' and 'Planet of Sound' make me cringe, the originals are so good, mess with gospel but don't demolish it.

"I like Lou Reed" she said...
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  06:13:59  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I love the songs with the trumpets
Nimrod's Son and Holiday Son
are great

I love everything frank does btw

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page