New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Steev
- FB Fan -

39 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  20:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Steev's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I downloaded this from iTunes this morning, and I feel like I just wasted $25.

I'm all for experimentation and all... disc 1 is okay to have, I guess, from a collector's standpoint.

But disc 2... holy boring. Velouria is the only track that I've listened to the whole way through. The rest were too painful to listen to.

Ah, well. There's always Honeycomb!

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  22:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steev

I downloaded this from iTunes this morning, and I feel like I just wasted $25.

From what I understand, the double CD is being sold at a single CD price ($12.99-$15.99 in most stores). So you woulda paid less if you'd bought a hard copy... and if you didn't like it, you would've at least had something to sell back.

Today I waddled into my nice cozy local independent CD store to buy Frank Black Francis... and they didn't have it.
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  23:34:41  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

But disc 2... holy boring. Velouria is the only track that I've listened to the whole way through. The rest were too painful to listen to.

Why didn't you preview them first...?

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  03:39:13  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Today I waddled into my nice cozy local independent CD store to buy Frank Black Francis... and they didn't have it.

...yea....I was told by my little independent dtore that it would be a week or two, from the big record stores, I got the same shithead response....the assumption was that there was no new Frank Black cd coming out, and that I didnt know what the hell I was talking about.

Edited by - frank_black_francis on 10/13/2004 03:39:51
Go to Top of Page

Steev
- FB Fan -

39 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  05:14:09  Show Profile  Visit Steev's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did preview it. Again, I'm an obsessive collector... so I had to have it. Maybe it will grow on me.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  05:58:23  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't know, maybe it's just be, but I don't get the whole itunes thing. Isn't what they sell you, on itunes, an mp3 or do they actually let you download a "very good sounding" song. Also wouldn't it be "collecting" if itunes sent you a hardcopy CD of the tracks you purchased on a disc or do they? I like CD packaging so clue me in maybe I just don't know. It just seems silly to spend 99 cents for 28 songs that go onto your computer.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  06:40:55  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's not actually in stores until next week, correct?

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  06:54:48  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no stores i contacted in my area had it, so i iTunes'd it and plan on buying a hard copy next time i'm in manhattan. i personally like the album quite a bit - but it is just an archival release, it doesn't have nearly the appeal of honeycomb or a new pixies record - its a nice piece for the collection though.

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  06:58:38  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No it was released yesterday the 12th. I went to my local Best Buy and he did a search in his database and there was only one CD released on Long Island. I ain't telling anyone which store it's in just in case I actually get there after work and find it. Maaawwaahhhhaaaaaaa

Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  07:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to my Best Buy in Bay Shore Long Island, and no disc was on the floor. The guy said it would probably be out on thursday. So then I went down the street to the mall, to that horrible store FYE. They had four copies. I got mine. I like it a lot.
Go to Top of Page

ShakeyShake
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1058 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  07:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[br

Wow I found Velouria to be the only song on there that I can't stand,really though it is quite terrible.

Shemales have rights too...
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  07:32:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have to wait until the end of the week for my local cool record shop to get them in, but I'm looking forward. Also buying the Together We're Heavy on DVD-A. Such a great record.

"Join the Cult of Frank 2.0 / And you'll be enlightened (free for 1.x members)"
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  08:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I downloaded a couple of the disk 1 demos from a newsgroup, listened, then deleted them. I realized I'm far too burned out on those Pixies songs to care about this release.
Go to Top of Page

abegrand
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  14:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had the album for a week now, and I've got to say I like it a whole lot better than I did when I first heard it. The demos are fun, pretty much what you'd expect, just an informal run-through of the early Pixies material (I got a kick out of when he says he wants "Caribou" to sound like Husker Du), with the phone ringing in the background at one point.

The remakes are tough to get into at first, but for the most part, they succeed, especially "Caribou", "Where is My Mind" (although it can't top the original, it sounds even more desolate), "Levitate Me", "Velouria" (terrific vocal performance by Black), and the creepy New Orleans funeral jazz of "Nimrod's Son". It's not perfect, as "Cactus" and "Subbacultcha" falter, and "Planet of Sound" is an absolutely excruciating, 13+ minute exercise in self-indulgence. Still, Diagram and Moline do an admirable job deconstructing the songs, stripping them bare and adding a big, post rock, Disco Inferno influence. Last week, I had the cd at about 5 or 6 out of ten, but after giving it more of a chance, it's a solid, repectable 7. If you can find the album for the price of a single disc, hell yeah, it's worth it.

Edit: the packaging is nice, but I accidentally put a permanent crase in the digipak trying to wrench one of the cd's out of the damn thing...

Edited by - abegrand on 10/13/2004 14:46:40
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  17:58:27  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The small store I work at got 3 copies on monday, and we've sold 2. I know the 2 mall stores don't have it. Yeah, we rock. (I gotta wait til payday, dang it).
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  19:11:35  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well I went to the Best Buy in Westbury and sure enough they had the one CD on Long Island.

Gotta tell you while listening to the demo's I was just like, okay that's what I expected but nothing to amazing. The real surprise was really liking the second cd. I mean all of it. It was soothing even the 15 minute Planet of Sound. It's almost like those mood music cd's you find at a health food store, but your favorite artist is singing to it. It's surreal.

I wish there was a way we could get a hold of his vocal loops from that session and make our own mixes with them. Something we could use with Sonic Foundry's ACID.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  19:36:03  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas

I wish there was a way we could get a hold of his vocal loops from that session and make our own mixes with them. Something we could use with Sonic Foundry's ACID.

That would be awesome. I'd totally be down for some homegrown remixes

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  20:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to CD Warehouse and TWO Best Buys today. No FRANK BLACK FRANCIS to be found. So that's four stores and nothin'.

I even look in the 'F' section in case it's filed under 'Francis'. And also I check the Pixies section.

The Man is tryin' to keep these CDs away from me. But I'm gonna win this game. Someday.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2004 :  20:07:35  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It was a delightful evening, as I found both Frank Black Francis and the new Camper Van Beethoven album at the Best Buy in South Da-freakin'-kota. Funny what you'll find here. (And it was only $13.99!) I'm quite pleased with these songs. Haven't heard all of the second disc yet, but I'm not disappointed so far. I'm amazed (no pun intended) by the quality of the first disc. I've made many a recordings on a every kind of portable cassette recorder, but the sound and blend is beautiful. It's a real treat to hear these solo interpretations immediately prior to their recording. Again, nothing really new (aside of the first real release of Boom Chickaboom) but it's worth it either way. As far as the second disc goes, it really takes balls to go and do something as drastic as that with songs people hold so close to their hearts. Those pale boys are very talented, and like it's been said, they did a great job of tearing down and rebuilding those song. I'm looking forward to hearing them stretch out Planet of Sound to fifteen minutes. I understand that these songs are by no means the definitive versions, and with that in mind, it's nothin' but ear candy for me. They're not trying to be the Pixies, which is important. I can completely understand why some would be totally turned off by this second disc. To each his own. And I really agree with Thomas in the surreal factor. I'm listening to Subbacultcha now. Holy weird. But the fact that the man who originally recorded those demos in Gary Smith's living room could go on to work out something like this, record Honeycomb, and bring back the Pixies (flawlessly in my opinion) all in a year's time, adding that to his entire body of work, has got to say something about the man. All I'm saying is he's got my vote for President.
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  03:19:01  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found it wednesday....woo hoo!
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  07:31:52  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love Frank Black Francis!!! Charles really knows how to mess with the gospel and delight some of us who appreciate the wild twist on the classics in the 2nd disc.I can already imagine some of these versions in movie soundtracks.The Demos disc is a must have to all fans I got mine on release date here in Puerto Rico at one of our two Borders stores.
Go to Top of Page

paintmeister
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  20:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked up FBF after I got off work. My CD shop called me during lunch to let me know it was in. The demos are fantastic. I especially get a kick out the parts where you are anticipating one of his screams and instead you hear a moderate "ah ha". Even though I already knew it, it shows how incredible he was (and is) on the guitar.

Go to Top of Page

mattb
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
474 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  12:29:48  Show Profile  Visit mattb's Homepage  Click to see mattb's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

I have to wait until the end of the week for my local cool record shop to get them in, but I'm looking forward. Also buying the Together We're Heavy on DVD-A. Such a great record.

"Join the Cult of Frank 2.0 / And you'll be enlightened (free for 1.x members)"

Wow, I didn't know that was coming out on DVD audio, you mean the polyphonic spree album right?

-----------------------
http://www.broszkowski.com
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4894 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  18:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is it available in the UK yet? I refuse to touch itunes, I hate it. I want a pretty cd, I'm not having much luck in my exploration of this matter

I look like the kind of guy who pimps his sister not just for the money, but because he hates her
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  20:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone here ordered from Cooking Vinyl and had it shipped to the US? I am guessing it might take a while to ship here. Let me know if you get yours though :) I can't wait to hear it.
Go to Top of Page

Sir Mike
- FB Fan -

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  20:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disc 1 is great! It's got the classic Black Francis sound to it in its purest form. The demo Holiday Song is downright awesome. Most people with their demo tapes try to polish the music up and make it sound professional. Yet, what shines about Disc 1 and especially the Holiday Song on it is that what carries the disc is not the attempt to produce a "polished" (demo tapes are an essential paradox on this often) but rather the soul of the music and the sheer effort and force of the artist. It's got a certain youthfulness too it and an energy that really makes Disc 1 a great addition. So what if the sound quality is low, it's the classic Black Francis sound in its original form.

That said, I'm not fond of Disc 2. Certainly some great talent and playing on there and some classic songs. I have some respect for those guys trying something new with those songs. Whenever you perform or record you're putting yourself to the fire so to speak. Experimentation and innovation is cool. Just not a brass fan myself.

Edited by - Sir Mike on 10/15/2004 21:26:03
Go to Top of Page

Excuse me please
- FB Fan -

23 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  21:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that disc 1 was great. The raw power of those songs, at such an early stage, is pretty cool to hear.

Disc 2 is some of the worst crap that I've ever heard. I felt like I was listening to an old Art of Noise record or something. Those songs and that sound just don't mix. Hell, any songs and that sound don't mix. Those guys might be talented, but I still think it sucks. And I've never thought that about anything Frank has been a part of before. I had never heard any of FBF before I bought it, and I wish it would have stayed that way.

But it was still worth it for disc 1.
Go to Top of Page

miserygoat
- FB Fan -

3 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  23:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, since y'all are diggin' on the Pale Boys, here's a pretty good review of their other new album (and Tom Waits new one): http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0441/041013_music_waitsthomas.php

Re this gem: "Those songs and that sound just don't mix. Hell, any songs and that sound don't mix." -- what first struck me as stupidity might be sorta right. An important premise one must accept to like the Pale Boys--and most things worth liking, for that matter--is that songs ain't nothin' but sounds. If you believe music means songs and songs are fairly tightly structured things--you miss out. If you give up on songs and embrace sound--noise, even--you get a broader sense of music's expressive possibilities... and if you get the Pale Boys--well, maybe not so much this one as Surf's Up! or the other David Thomas projex, but the possibilities are evident even with the limitations of FBF--you probably have a couple of the ten thousand or so most sensitive ears on the planet...

P.

i'm not one of those stabbin' hobos-- i'm a singin' hobo
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2452 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  07:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not available in Virgin Megastore in the UK til Monday, I found out today.

I can't wait to hear the demos, and will politely give the second disk the benefit of the doubt too. I did, however, hear the horrible version of 'Cactus' a while back. I'd buy the disk if only for the 1986 tapes, though.
Go to Top of Page

vb7000
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  07:16:39  Show Profile  Visit vb7000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Also buying the Together We're Heavy on DVD-A. Such a great record.

I totally agree-it's really amazing.I urge all you kids to go get it now.I wish I had surround sound so I could buy this.

(We're talking about The Polyphonic Spree by the way!)
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  10:50:33  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I didn't have any trouble finding it, suprisingly. It was in a Best Buy, and they had several copies. There was even a divider for "Frank Black Francis." I've only listened to Disc 1 once and haven't even heard Disc 2 all the way through, though (too busy absorbing the new Camper Van Beethoven album that Prozacrat mentioned), so I don't have any specific comments as of yet.

quote:
Isn't what they sell you, on itunes, an mp3 or do they actually let you download a "very good sounding" song. Also wouldn't it be "collecting" if itunes sent you a hardcopy CD of the tracks you purchased on a disc or do they? I like CD packaging so clue me in maybe I just don't know. It just seems silly to spend 99 cents for 28 songs that go onto your computer.

I don't think they're even MP3s, but rather some other format that you can burn to a CD or play on the iTunes player, but can't do anything else with. I don't know for sure, though, since I don't have iTunes. For what it's worth, I'm not opposed to paying for music downloads. I got three Frank albums through eMusic, and I don't plan on buying the CDs unless I can find them for cheap. Still, I prefer to buy the CDs when I can, because I like having a hard copy, as well as liner notes and album art. I like the fact that downloads are available, but I don't like the idea of songs that are ONLY available for download, and not on CD.

iTunes really does seem to be overly expensive, what with charging 99 cents for one song. I think there is a discount if you buy an entire album, though.

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  14:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered mine today, they told me that I might have it in two weeks. And the guy at the store when he did the search about the album, he said something like, pre Pixies demo tapes!? and then he said,is it this one? And I told him that was that, he said again ...they went into the old trunk this time! With a smile on his face...I guess I was the first one asking for it!

...The majority of people are just like, `Play the monkey song!'
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  10:02:43  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Disc 2 needs some good reggae drums, like U-Roy dub stuff. It's almost awesome, but it needs a solid percussive background.
Go to Top of Page

DrWorm
- FB Fan -

81 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  12:45:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it, I just got the last copy from Best Buy.. actually it was teh only Frank Black Cd they had period. Listened to it once so far (treated CD) and I like a few tracks, they all have the same sound.. kinda slow and drawn out. It works on a few tracks, but but for a whole CD i'm not sure. Ask me again in a week and i'll have a entirely different opinion...

I'm going to the Pixies Dallas show in 2 days !!

"Mister, would you please help my pony? / I think it's his lung"
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  12:49:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DrWorm:
Did you go to a Dallas-area Best Buy for it? I went to the Best Buy in Lewisville and the one in Dallas on 635 & Midway and didn't find FBF.

Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  12:50:11  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think it was the only Frank album at the Best Buy where I bought it, too. I had bought Show Me Your Tears there last year, though, so it wasn't the only Frank album they'd EVER had, obviously.

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000