New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  23:29:41  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
I looked in the first pages of the "Frank Black Making Noise" forum, and the "Here Comes Your Subbacultcha" forum, and I did not see mention of this article. Though this article provides us with virtually no information that we didn't already know, I had a theory that we should get this "Planet of Sound" forum recognized, for there is only 5 posts so far. I personally think that it would be good to enforce the habit of posting PIXIES NEWS here, PIXIES DISSCUSSION in "Here Comes Your Subbacultcha", FRANK NEWS in "Frank Black Making Noise", and FRANK DISCUSSION in "General Frank Black Chat". Below is a link to the article.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=19283

The following is the text of the link.

The Pixies Reunite for Tour

Alterna-rock legends back after twelve-year break

Three years ago, Frank Black told Rolling Stone he'd be game for a Pixies reunion "if I were penniless or a family member needed a kidney transplant." Last year, the answer was "I can't say it won't happen, but I won't say it will." Today, after weeks of speculation that the group would make a May appearance at the Coachella Festival in California, the Pixies officially announced that they would reunite.

The group -- Black, bassist Kim Deal, guitarist Joey Santiago and drummer David Lovering -- is planning an eleven-city North American tour in April, wrapping with Coachella on May 1st, and followed by a set of European dates running from May 28th through July 10th. The dates are the Pixies' first since they opened for U2 on the Zoo TV tour in 1992.

The Pixies formed in Boston in 1986 and released four albums and an EP before splitting in a notoriously nasty fashion. The band never managed much in the way of mainstream sales clout but found a rabid and loyal following, which included Kurt Cobain (who claimed that his hit "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was a Pixies rip-off) and David Bowie (who covered "Cactus" two years ago). The prolific Black, who has released nine albums in the time since the band's demise, never completely severed ties with the Pixies catalog, always dropping a few old tunes into his solo sets over the past decade. But he also never seemed completely comfortable with the weight of the band's legacy.

"I've been disappointed with a lot of those songs," he told Rolling Stone late last year. "Not the band or the recordings of the music, but mostly in terms of my lyrics. I think I hit my stride on a few songs with the Pixies. But a lot of them we were spitting them out too fast because everyone was saying, 'You're great, give us more.' I wish I could have slowed down the pace, in retrospect, and I'd have less cringe-y moments."

A Pixies DVD is also in the works. The group's former label, 4AD, has collected all eight of the band's videos, a 1988 concert from London, the Gouge band documentary, and other odds and ends for Pixies, to be released later this year. A twenty-three-track compilation is also planned.

Dates and cities for the upcoming tour have not yet been confirmed.

Tim, the only one who laughs

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  00:09:34  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Sorry, this was post already in...jk. ;)

Nice quotes...

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  10:45:26  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by IceCream

"I've been disappointed with a lot of those songs," he told Rolling Stone late last year. "Not the band or the recordings of the music, but mostly in terms of my lyrics. I think I hit my stride on a few songs with the Pixies. But a lot of them we were spitting them out too fast because everyone was saying, 'You're great, give us more.' I wish I could have slowed down the pace, in retrospect, and I'd have less cringe-y moments."

That's kind of scary. Is he, during this reunion, only going to want to play the few songs he's been playing with the Catholics or something?

-=Apesy

Edited by - Apesy on 02/08/2004 10:46:51
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  12:00:51  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
quote:

The Pixies formed in Boston in 1986 and released four albums and an EP before splitting in a notoriously nasty fashion.

I wish people would start acknowledging that Come on Pilgrim isn't a bloody EP!

Join my Cult of ~P~ / I have a logo and everything....
Go to Top of Page

king_pleasant
- FB Fan -

3 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  14:23:09  Show Profile
It's ridiculous to think they wouldn't play the east coast, that's where they formed. My prediction is they're saving east coast venues for a post-European "Homecoming" extravaganza.
Go to Top of Page

model consumer
- FB Fan -

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  18:36:05  Show Profile
Yeah... I mean fuck. I'm pretty sure it's a safe bet they will do a proper US/North America tour when they are done with the European tour. Why would they play all those Canadian dates but not do Toronto? And you would think they'd play Boston and NYC as you correctly point out, Mr. king. And if god loves those of us in the southeast they will play Atlanta. Or somewhere in NC or SC. Or Chattanooga or Nashville or Memphis. Or all of them. Hopefully for me though Atlanta.... they must they must they must they must.

--
"What's all I listen to? It's all freedom rock!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000