Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 What is the best FB song you've heard live?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  13:45:52  Show Profile
What's the best FB song you've heard him play live, and why?

I'll start:
For me, If It Takes All Night sticks out in my mind...We saw him at First Ave. in Minneapolis, April 2001, and they ended they're encore with that song...I've never seen the band as energized while performing a song...the crowd responded in like.

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  15:32:29  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Oooh, good topic. I think the one that will always win it for me was Man Of Steel, from July 8, 1999. This was my first Frank Black show, and this is the song they opened with. It was fucking mind blowing....it's such a beautiful song. I nearly cried. I'll never forget the opening to that song and how powerful it was when the whole band joined in.

"Join the Cult of Brit / And let your oral hygiene go out the window."
Go to Top of Page

George42
- FB Fan -

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  15:33:35  Show Profile
If It Takes All Nite is very good live. also awesome live: Steak n' Sabre, Los Angeles, Fields of Marigold, Robert Onion.
Go to Top of Page

George42
- FB Fan -

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  15:35:14  Show Profile
.....Marigold and LA because both songs have such kickass riffs. Onion just slowly builds in excitement and then explodes.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  15:36:07  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
Six Sixty-Six was trouser-flappingly awesome, and Headache and I Need Peace always go down a treat.
Hermaphroditos and Freedom Rock also deserve an honourable mention.

"I joined the Cult Of Strachan/Cos Hoddle just ain't right!"
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  16:03:28  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
I love Robert Onion (with those Catholic boys all lining up doing the "LAYERS AND LAYERS" part), Hermaphroditos, Thallosocracy, and I Need Peace live.

I'm trying to think of something not already mentioned, and Velvety is a good one. They played that first in London and we all freaked out (all the forum folks I was with in the front row, that is) and screamed every word.

"Music does not drag me down. Music lifts me up." - Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  16:11:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto

Oooh, good topic. I think the one that will always win it for me was Man Of Steel, from July 8, 1999. [/i]

When I saw the thread heading this is the one I thought of first, except that I heard it about ten days earlier.

Mustn't forget I Want Rock and Roll from last year, for me in Santa Cruz.
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  16:16:42  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
i loved The Snake.i never considered that song but it was a surprise.

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  18:04:56  Show Profile
So. Bay, So. Bay, So. Bay...
Go to Top of Page

switchy
- Gigographer -

324 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  19:03:56  Show Profile  Visit switchy's Homepage
For me, it's "velvety" at the Belly Up Tavern on 4/14/02. the band had just come back from the encore break. i was right up front in front of Frank. I'm not normally one to call out requests, but i yelled out "VELVETY!" as loud as I could. and right on cue, Frank started it up. I just about shit myself with joy. this was before the album came out, and i was very anxious and curious to hear the song with the new vocals, and it didn't disappoint. Frank doesn't seem to take requests very often, so i was feeling pretty lucky. though perhaps he was going to play it anyways and me yelling it was just a coincidence. but who cares. my grampa who i was close with had just died the day before, so the whole show was great to blow off some steam, and that moment of him doing "velvety" was the pinnacle of an amazing night.
sorry to ramble on.
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  01:29:13  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
Though not my favorites on SMYT, Nadine, Horrible Day & This Old Heartache really impressed me when I heard them live (twice) 3 months ago.

But the greatest moment I remember is the encore of a gig I attended in 1994 - my very first FB gig -, when Frank came back alone to play acoustic, delightful versions of Abstract Plain and (if my memory is correct) Headache. That was... well, not so impressive I think, but simply, really magic. And very unexpected to me then. I remember thinking "This guy will never cease to amaze me..." He didn't.

"Welcome back to the 10th grade!"

Edited by - Frog in the Sand on 02/13/2004 01:31:25
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  01:49:00  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
From the last tour, my vote goes to Freedom Rock. I was dying to hear this song live, and it was amazing.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Scarla O
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  01:54:11  Show Profile  Visit Scarla O's Homepage

I agree with denis, though i was very pleased to hear 'Whiskey In My Shoes' too.

Edited by - Scarla O on 02/13/2004 01:54:56
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  03:37:55  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage
Annoucement without a doubt.

The Snake was indeed a pleasant surprise from last tour.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5994 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  04:29:58  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
Nadine rocks
so does Robert Onion
Headache is always a tearjerker

"I joined the Cult of Frank/Nobody wanted to join my Culf"
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  04:42:52  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
I think Bullet is the best live song...i love the scott/frank drum/acoustic interplay in the middle.
and although i never saw the snake played live, it sounds great...

related (but wrong forum): is the 28/11/03 Amsterdam recording the only one that includes the snake?
i know the 26/11/03 and 03/12/03 don't...
also: are these three the only recordings from the European/UK tour?

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  05:08:20  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by benji

I think Bullet is the best live song...i love the scott/frank drum/acoustic interplay in the middle.
and although i never saw the snake played live, it sounds great...

related (but wrong forum): is the 28/11/03 Amsterdam recording the only one that includes the snake?
i know the 26/11/03 and 03/12/03 don't...
also: are these three the only recordings from the European/UK tour?

i taped the 2 italian shows 26\27-10-03.they played the snake at turin but not at milan where they opened for placebo(they played only 11 songs there).

Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  05:25:21  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage
quote:

I think Bullet is the best live song...

How could I forget Bullet?!?
I agree, it's the best live, at least from recent tours.
But do they play songs that don't rock live ?
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  05:28:49  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by mun chien andalusia
i taped the 2 italian shows 26\27-10-03.they played the snake at turin but not at milan where they opened for placebo(they played only 11 songs there).

what did they turn out like?

...the 28/11/03 recording is one of the best audience recordings of any band i have ever heard...

Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  05:44:09  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by mun chien andalusia

what did they turn out like?

...the 28/11/03 recording is one of the best audience recordings of any band i have ever heard...

not bad.i'd say a b+.

Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  05:46:43  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
Man, this is a good topic

And a god-damn hard one at that...

So. Bay is definitely up there. The first time I saw them play it live, I was floored. Plus, I almost shit myself because its one of my favorite Catholics songs.

Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  07:51:13  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
I prefer seeing the Catholics live to just Frank playing accoustic - but, that said, hearing him play Dog Gone solo made it one of my very favorite songs ever. And also, (I just have to add!) he played Valentine & Garuda for me and told some of the story behind it, and that was a pretty cool moment.

Go to Top of Page

ispini tapaidh
- FB Fan -

Ireland
122 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  08:03:36  Show Profile
The Swimmer at the solo gig in Dublin last year was special. And Freedom Rock with the Catholics when they came back out after the 'Dirty Auld Town' reverse-encore. Think that's when they played it anyway. I was slightly intoxicated.
----

Just coz I'm new doesn't mean I'm just here for the Pixies updates.
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  09:30:01  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
Well, I think that Jacques Tati is the best live performance, it's such a funny song...

Pump the Jam
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  09:33:23  Show Profile
One's I would like to hear live are:
Don't Ya Rile Em
Punk Rock City
Thallasocracy
Space Is Gonna Do Me Good
Czar
Valentine & Garuda
Go to Top of Page

steveplymouthuk
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  10:53:09  Show Profile  Visit steveplymouthuk's Homepage
Black letter day!

-----------------------------------------
[Insert random Frank Black lyric]
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  11:07:19  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage
I have seen him once, one of the very first dates for Dog in the Sand (which is one of my favs). It was just him, solo for two hours in Philly and I didn't hear what I really wanted to hear, St. Francis Dam Disaster. However, Bullet was excellent, especially with the little story about his dad dying. He closed with Where is my Mind and the venue was incredibly ethereal. And Los Angeles breaking into Coming to Los Angeles.
Go to Top of Page

holidaysong
- FB Fan -

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  12:17:05  Show Profile
yeah ispini freedom rock was great - my fav FB song...ispini that means sausage right?
Go to Top of Page

The Calistanian
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1342 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  12:19:10  Show Profile
Any song Rich Gilbert plays with a beer bottle is a good song too.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  16:33:15  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
quote:
And also, (I just have to add!) he played Valentine & Garuda for me and told some of the story behind it, and that was a pretty cool moment.

So what IS the story behind it?

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dyperman
- FB Fan -

87 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  20:43:52  Show Profile  Click to see dyperman's MSN Messenger address
It was during the Trompe Le Monde tour at Oberlin College in Western Ohio. We went to the show early because I know Charles and I always go to the warm up.. We walked in the building to the roar of Planet of Sound. We opened the door to the auditorium and there was no one in the room except me, my friend, the Pixies and the crew (of which I would like to mention one very awesome individual Miles Mangino) and this little kid (about 12) I dont know whose kid he was but he was seriously skanking to the song in this gym all by himself. The Pixies were feeding off of it and the song ripped....David Bowie was an anonymous fan at that show. We met him after the show backstage. He had on a sweat jacket and this huge Fishbone hat. He walked in the room and you could hear a pin drop. Just an Aura of superstardom
Go to Top of Page

Treo Black
- FB Fan -

Finland
26 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  02:27:23  Show Profile
Only saw FB&C once, last year in Amsterdam, and almost exploded during every song. Abstract Plain as one of the encores has a special place in my heart.

Now I'm just employed
Go to Top of Page

"French" Black
- FB Fan -

France
1 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  03:57:30  Show Profile
I would say, for particular reasons, I Love Your Brain.
It was in Paris at the Elysee Montmartre during the Pistolero European Tour.It had been a long time since the band had not been around : the previous tour had been cancelled.I was really looking forward to attending their gig so my brother and I were already there by 3 PM. We had nothing to do but wait for 6 hours and eventually come across Frank or one of the Catholics in one of the streets nearby. The place was open and we went in and upstairs towards the concert hall just to have a look inside. As we approached the doors, we could hear some chords and mic tests. I opened the door and the whole band was there on stage for the sound check.
OK, we knew we shouldn't have been there but we couldn't help staying there and they began to play I Love Your Brain which is one of my favourite songs on this album. It was a real surprise to see them there at this time. So there was my favourite band I had not seen for years, playing one of my favourite songs and there was no one but my brother, myself and a couple of sound engineers to listen to it.
I must say I felt both privileged and kind of embarrassed because I had no right to be there and I would have found it normal to be asked to leave the place. Anyway, the sound was fantastic and we tried to be as discreet as possible. They began to play I Want Rock and Roll and we left the place during this song, really willing not to disturb them. A great memory.
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  06:26:26  Show Profile
So many to choose from. My all-time favorite is Whatever Happened To Pong/Thalosocracy. Lyle Workman used to do this funny little hip sway to Pong, a nod to the paddles I guess. Recent favorites: I Want Rock and Roll, California Bound, Velvety...I could go on and on.
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  11:10:37  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Can't believe I forgot Massif Centrale. For shame!

Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  11:27:25  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Treo Black

Only saw FB&C once, last year in Amsterdam, and almost exploded during every song. Abstract Plain as one of the encores has a special place in my heart.

What a great gig this was!!!
I was completely stunned when they started the Abstract plain intro. Everyone next to me must have heard me, yelling: oh yeah, oh yeah...
The version of Caribou was probably even better, and made me realize how great that song is.
A few months ago I decided that it's my favourite song of all time.
But God!, it sucks that I missed Freedom rock that night...!

I'm bored with the valleys and bored by the peaks. So I bought a ticket to the freaks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000