Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 What is the best FB song you've heard live?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Treo Black
- FB Fan -

Finland
26 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  13:24:11  Show Profile
Stunned/stoned? I missed Freedon rock as well, heard it though. Had to leave my jacket at the entrance and it took time. What a feeling it was standing there, so close but yet so far. Then finally, when fourth song of the gig -Monkey gone to heaven- started, and I got in with my friend, I felt I was the monkey which just entered heaven.

Now I'm just employed
Go to Top of Page

dogjones
- FB Fan -

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  14:25:39  Show Profile
"the vanishing spies"...too lazy to hunt down the date but it was his first solo show in chap.hill/carboro (NC) at the "new" cat's cradle. ever see a punk rock kid swoon? that song hit some people there in a weird weird way.
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  16:05:08  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by dogjones

"the vanishing spies"...too lazy to hunt down the date but it was his first solo show in chap.hill/carboro (NC) at the "new" cat's cradle. ever see a punk rock kid swoon? that song hit some people there in a weird weird way.

headache is always good... erm, i can't remember what my fave was, i love it when he plays anything off TOTY, and Los Angeles is always great to hear live! I was hoping for Manitoba or Massif Centrale, or even The Snake when I saw him last, but alas no!

--
"Just let her go into the darkness, let her learn from all the things there, let her go into the darkness, let her go, let her go, let her go... <guitar solo>" - Mr. Jonathan Richman I salute you.
Go to Top of Page

dougit
- FB Fan -

87 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  18:12:06  Show Profile
solid gold

lyle playing G.

Tucson-FB&C self titled US tour 199...something
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
- FB Fan -

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  18:43:54  Show Profile  Visit Mickey's Homepage
A couple years ago, during the Dog in Sand tour the band played a couple of shows at Slim's in San Francisco. I think it was the second night, during the Holiday Song one guy tried to start a mosh pit and no one was going along with it. Frank got really pissed and after saying something like "this isn't that kind of show" stormed off stage. The rest of the band just kind of shrugged and followed him. The crowd stood around kind of shocked and dissapointed for about five minutes. The band came back out and Frank, beer in hand, wasn't too far behind. The band played, with the most passionate fury I have ever seen from any band, I Switched you and Remake/Remodel. Frank didn't play the guitar, he just yelled and screamed as he prowled around the stage taking swiggs from his bottle. Man, just truly incredible.

-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

Picapiedra
- FB Fan -

121 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  20:50:49  Show Profile
Calistan was pretty rock'n. But hearing Gouge Away live just blew my mind.
-roger.

"Drug run'n on this Panamanian schooner."
Go to Top of Page

andyn
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  02:00:25  Show Profile
Last tour - California Bound
One before that - Stupid Me
One before that - Big Red
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  02:08:06  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by chickenwithtwoheads

quote:
Originally posted by Treo Black

Only saw FB&C once, last year in Amsterdam, and almost exploded during every song. Abstract Plain as one of the encores has a special place in my heart.

What a great gig this was!!!
I was completely stunned when they started the Abstract plain intro. Everyone next to me must have heard me, yelling: oh yeah, oh yeah...
The version of Caribou was probably even better, and made me realize how great that song is.
A few months ago I decided that it's my favourite song of all time.
But God!, it sucks that I missed Freedom rock that night...!

this amsterdam gig does seem like a cracker from the recording i have.
freedom rock is a fantastic opener.
my fav sequence was this old heartache/nimrods son/wave of mutilation/bullet
and for sheer power and intensity velvety/the snake/i want rock & roll

fantastic....

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"
Go to Top of Page

mattb
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
474 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  10:39:21  Show Profile  Visit mattb's Homepage  Click to see mattb's MSN Messenger address
For me it was in Toronto on the first tour when he played Parry the Wind. I was a kid and into "moshing" in those days. The energy in the pit was insane when he was playing that.
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  11:06:29  Show Profile
cold heart of stone in chicago spring '03
-i saw an earlier catholics gig back when
rich gilbert had just joined and there was no
dave philips but i was rip snorting drunk.
i was in a good spot and a good space
at the '03 gig as i had no drink that night.
the show was definitely all good but that song
rang heavy in the air if you know what i mean.
-'where is my mind?' got a huge response and rockin'
wise was probably the top pick but 'cold heart' got
me.

now is the time
Go to Top of Page

ELoRPS
- FB Fan -

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  08:56:05  Show Profile  Visit ELoRPS's Homepage
He sure as hell fucked the hell out of my ears with "Los Angeles" last year,..

"Some people like cupcakes better,..I for one care less for them!"
Go to Top of Page

ELoRPS
- FB Fan -

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  08:59:41  Show Profile  Visit ELoRPS's Homepage
Of course I was waiting to hear "What Ever Happened To Pong" and half of TOTY,..but it never happened.

"Some people like cupcakes better,..I for one care less for them!"
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  09:33:25  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address
My votes would have to be either Man Of Steel in October of '98 in Minneapolis (very very awesome song in an awesome club with an awesome crowd. Awesome.) And my other vote would have to be the one time they came to Sioux Falls, South Dakota (roughly where I'm from). I was doing some roadie work for them and they did their soundcheck. It was me, one sound man and the band. They did The Swimmer (this was before they recorded Dog In The Sand). I just sat in a chair and nearly shat my pants. It was the first time I heard it. That's gotta be one of the best. And even though I've only seen them six times, there's been a LOT of good stuff.

"And her head has no room."
Go to Top of Page

The lemur
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  09:04:09  Show Profile
My personal favourite moment was when they kicked off with Velvety and Bullet in Glasgow in November.
Became more of a religious experience from then on.
Go to Top of Page

DrWorm
- FB Fan -

81 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  10:40:39  Show Profile
Bullet or Crackity Jones

"Mister, would you please help my pony? / I think it's his lung"
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  06:49:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey

A couple years ago, during the Dog in Sand tour the band played a couple of shows at Slim's in San Francisco. I think it was the second night, during the Holiday Song one guy tried to start a mosh pit and no one was going along with it. Frank got really pissed and after saying something like "this isn't that kind of show" stormed off stage. The rest of the band just kind of shrugged and followed him. The crowd stood around kind of shocked and dissapointed for about five minutes. The band came back out and Frank, beer in hand, wasn't too far behind. The band played, with the most passionate fury I have ever seen from any band, I Switched you and Remake/Remodel. Frank didn't play the guitar, he just yelled and screamed as he prowled around the stage taking swiggs from his bottle. Man, just truly incredible.

-Mickey

-That does sound like a Kodak moment for sure!
a few odd thoughts about C. Thompson's career in
music/art pop to mind when i hear stories like that
and put the peices together.
As with most great artists there is tumult and chaos
around him and his greatest power seems to be channeling
it into word and rythm.
One can only wonder how his stuff would come out if
he were serenely sober and away from chaos.....

now is the time
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  06:52:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by The lemur

My personal favourite moment was when they kicked off with Velvety and Bullet in Glasgow in November.
Became more of a religious experience from then on.

-.-.-.-
if i could hear them blaze thru velvety
and then segue into prey for the girls (last night i had the strangest dream) -i could exit happily.

now is the time
Go to Top of Page

Doryphore
- FB Fan -

Belgium
111 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  07:11:15  Show Profile
In Amsterdam (or maybe it was Brussels...?) Frank and Rich played The Farewelll Bend, just the two of them. I love that song anyway, but it was all the better because Rich was doing all this cool stuff on his little ugly red guitar.

"Your friends say that I'm strange"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000