Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 It's Finally Official: the Pixies are reuniting!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  15:21:46  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
http://www.frankblack.net/news/#125

You read it here first. Or at least you should have. ;)

PearlJamaholic
- FB Fan -

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  15:23:30  Show Profile
im not that happy about the news
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  15:24:09  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
Craziness. I really hope they do some small venues...Atleast I'll be able to see them, though. Cool stuff.

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  15:34:05  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
Wow...I'd expect more people to be posting in this thread...hmm. Dum de dum...

So any clue when the DVD is supposed to be released?

*whistles Debaser*

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  15:35:25  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Wow. I'm speechless.

Ok, now I'm not. I feel greedily and giddily happy and full of angst and confused disappointment at the same time. I wish the reunion all the best. I won't go to any giant concerts/festivals, but if they play closer to home and in a smaller venue, I'll be like a crackhead to the pipe. Or..err, something.

"Wir müssen wissen. Wir werden wissen."/"Our house has seven doors, all are green...except one, which is yellow."
Go to Top of Page

Conrad
- FB Fan -

Iceland
89 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  15:36:16  Show Profile  Visit Conrad's Homepage  Click to see Conrad's MSN Messenger address
Cool.
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  15:37:23  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
apl4eris...if they do some concerts here in Ohio we should definitely go together. hehe and is AIM crudding out again?

Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  15:40:24  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Lame.

"Join the Cult of Brit / And let your oral hygiene go out the window."
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  15:47:29  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
bit disappointed too. will be great to see them live (as i never did, too young!) but at the same time, they seemed more special that way... i don't know, i just don't know if they'll live up to expectations...

~~~
I'm flat out, you're so beautiful to look at when you cry. Freeze, don't move, you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequal to your life. Shady Lane, everybody wants one, Shady Lane, everybody needs one.
Go to Top of Page

Useyourname
- FB Fan -

185 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  15:48:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto

Lame.

I agree

jimmy
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  15:51:13  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
I hope they don't fuck up their integrity.......they'd better not sell out.

Go to Top of Page

SelfEscape
- FB Fan -

83 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  15:56:36  Show Profile  Visit SelfEscape's Homepage
So what/who offically confirmed this to make you post it Dave?

w000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000t
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  16:12:23  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by TheCroutonFuton

I hope they don't fuck up their integrity.......they'd better not sell out.

Too late.

"Join the Cult of Brit / And let your oral hygiene go out the window."
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  16:13:25  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
My reaction when Dave told me the news was the following:

SSSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH-frickin-WEET!

Or Weet! for short.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Shepherd
- FB Fan -

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  16:16:24  Show Profile  Visit Bryan Shepherd's Homepage
Never saw 'em in their prime, but based on all the live audio & video I've heard/seen they were a top-notch live act. I know Francis can turn it out on stage! Try not to be too cynical; life isn't always disappointing. I belive a little cautious optimism is in order. Or better yet, fuck caution. THIS ROCKS! THE PIXIES ARE REUNITING! Repeat to yourself until a smile is on your face. I'll see all of you there!

I'm the guy from wonderland...& you will never understand...
Go to Top of Page

monitormodule
- FB Fan -

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  16:33:35  Show Profile
wow-goin on alittle pixies roadtrippin-glad to hear-time to show the world``
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  16:48:53  Show Profile
A little anticlimactic, innit?

I agree: LAME.
Go to Top of Page

JamesM
= Cult of Ray =

308 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  16:53:42  Show Profile
Jesus Christ, this news is practically old hat; if you weren't crying "lame" then, you sure as fuck better not be crying "lame" now. Anyway, truth be known, I'd wish they -wouldn't- get back together, but there's nothing I can do about it, but, hey - guess what? Enjoy it! How many of you people crying sellout are going to be buying tickets? Truthfully now.

-Jimmy M.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  17:03:29  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
I didn't think i'd be, but now i'm excited. I'm sure this will absolutely kick ass.

FB ain't no chump, and i'm sure he'll give us the goods.
Go to Top of Page

csmall09
- FB Fan -

32 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  17:10:19  Show Profile
Very disappointed. He shouldn't be looking back, he should be looking forward in my opinion. Still, I wish Frank and the others all the best for their reunion. This is the end of the road for me as far as Mr Black goes...
Go to Top of Page

someguy51
- FB Fan -

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  17:11:06  Show Profile  Visit someguy51's Homepage
Well, I'm so excited. Hope they come to Western Canada. Just wondering, is there an official press release somewhere?
Go to Top of Page

MangyKid
- FB Fan -

170 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  17:26:14  Show Profile
Yeah this is about as lame as finally being able to see my favorite band live. Goddamnit. (w00t)
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  17:27:42  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
What you read on the news page is about as official as it gets and I believe we're the only ones to have official confirmation at this time.

Go to Top of Page

someguy51
- FB Fan -

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  17:33:32  Show Profile  Visit someguy51's Homepage
Thats cool. Can't wait! I finally got to see FB play last spring and now this! As soon as I find out the closest gig to Calgary, I'm booking time off work!
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  17:43:19  Show Profile
I can't believe it either. I mean I can, I trust Dave but . . you know what I mean. I didn't want them to get back together and still don't but then again, it must be pretty shitty for them to see/read that so many fans thinks it's a shitty decision. Of course I wish them the best but I hope it's just a brief thing for fun. I don't think they would ever intentionally sell out but they could easily fuck up. Good luck Pixies, you have an obligation to not disappoint.

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"
Go to Top of Page

Robert Onion
- FB Fan -

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  17:56:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

What you read on the news page is about as official as it gets and I believe we're the only ones to have official confirmation at this time.

where does this site get the 'official' word that the Pixies are reforming?
Go to Top of Page

lofiscifi
- FB Fan -

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  17:57:26  Show Profile
i've seen the pixies a few times in the past... and i'm pretty damn excited that i'll be able to see them again.
as dave said, "fb ain't no chump" - i'm sure they'll deliver.

- lofiscifi
Go to Top of Page

jet1972
- FB Fan -

Australia
8 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  17:58:47  Show Profile
just remember there are people who won't ever get to see them....there's no way they'll come to Oz or NZ!!!!!

======================
great....coming to Australia, then??? hmmm, didn't think so
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  18:47:11  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address
I would also like to know where the "official" word comes from. I'm giving this site the benifit of the doubt and believe it, but I'm just curious. And I think Mr. Black is making the right decision. I don't think he's looking back, or dwelling on things that are over. I think the Pixies are a part of his future. So are the Catholics. I don't think he's comprimising anything by this. Same with the other members. I just think that now they can appreciate how good they had it. It's all good. And someguy51, I'm sure they'll make their way up near Calgary. But regardless you should try to catch Camper Van Beethoven their next week. I'm considering making the nearly 30 hour drive to see them there.

"And her head has no room."
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  18:51:47  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
I can't help but feel that all the people who are crying "lame" and "sellout" over the Pixies reunion are similar in spirit to the people who cried "lame" and "sellout" when Frank started a solo career. Get over it! The man just made what is arguably the best album of his career and you worry whether the same man is making the right decision by reforming his old band! Okay, that sounded a little contradictory. All I'm saying is this - give FB some credit! He's a smart, talented sumbitch, and reforming the Pixies is not going to change that simple fact.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  18:58:36  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address
Well said, Chris Knight.

"And her head has no room."
Go to Top of Page

MangyKid
- FB Fan -

170 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  19:13:11  Show Profile
I'm not too concerned if some guy thinks the pixies sold out or lost some "specialness", I want to see them get up there and kick some ass.
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  19:23:46  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
I think that what we're really afraid of is this:

1. The Pixies got their credit after they broke up. They already had integrity, but gained more once they were hailed as "legends". The media is going to beat the shit out of this story and get as much from it as they can, as we've already seen. Our generations blow when it comes to music; only we have an understanding and true respect for it. The rest of our peers are going to be watching MTV and see that the Pixies are going to tour and that they were "the breakthrough band for alternative rock!". They'll be thinking "Alternative rock? Like Linkin Park and Hoobastank! I've gotta see them!". That sucks for us true fans. We'll be in huge venues surrounded by teenieboppers in their Blink 182 shirts who claim they're fans. They're just posers.

2 Because of number 1 the Pixies will more than likely become mainstream. They'll be selling Pixies shirts at Hot Topic and all of the "punks" will be wearing them. I can't even stand the thought of that. Nirvana ran into that problem when Nevermind was released. Kurt hated it and made In Utero a nice meaty rough production to scare them off. In Utero is amazing, but the Pixies are only planning this as a one time thing. They aren't going to get to make their In Utero, so to say.

3. Let's imagine that the group plans to stay together for a long time. We're afraid that if that happens we're going to lose our Catholics and Breeders. I enjoy Frankie with the Catholics as much as I did when he was in the Pixies, if not more. The same goes for the Breeders. We don't want to lose two great bands.

Those are the main reasons we are afraid that I could come up with off the top of my head. Although, the true return of Joey Santiago makes me ecstatic. Instead of hearing him on one or two Catholics' songs we'll get to hear him in his full glory.

I was also thinking about the rumor that Kim may not be participating in this; assuming it's true, this is what I've come up with: Joey's wife Linda Mallari! She has a great voice! In fact, before the Pixies played a single show she offered to contribute her voice for backup vocals, but Joey reclined telling her that they already had a female vocalist. That's my theory for what will happen if the rumor turns out to be true.

That's my two cents...

Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  19:33:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Knight

I can't help but feel that all the people who are crying "lame" and "sellout" over the Pixies reunion are similar in spirit to the people who cried "lame" and "sellout" when Frank started a solo career. Get over it!

Lame. Sellout.
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  19:42:42  Show Profile
Well, while all you anti-Pixies-Pixies fans are whining and complaining about 'integrity' and 'sell-out', I'll be having a friggin' blast down in the front row with all the rest of the people who realize the importance of ditching politics where art is concerned.

Hey, while you're at it, why don't you all get out your Beatles CD's and have a big bonfire?

Catchin' blue in his eyes that were brown

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

model consumer
- FB Fan -

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  19:44:52  Show Profile
I don't care to rehash the lame vs cool debate but geez... If the Stooges can do it then damnit the Pixies can. I'm tempted to take some cheap shots, like questioning the judgement of anyone who claims to like Pearl Jam. But that would be lame of me, and I'd only be kidding. I think it is equally dubious to assume that those who are talking shit about the reunion would have been doing the same when FB went solo.

All I have to say is this: Ye who cry "lame," will you go to the show(s) or not?

--
"What's all I listen to? It's all freedom rock!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000