Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chango
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  08:18:44  Show Profile
done with one, on to another... sorry, billboard won' t let me cut and paste the whole article, here's the link:
http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=2079376

it wasn't anything about anything

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  08:22:32  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
Frank Black will return in late spring with "Frank Black Francis." The title plays on the monikers the veteran artist, whose given name is Charles Thompson, has used as a solo act and as the a member of seminal modern rock act the Pixies. Sources say the double-disc set is being targeted for an April release via spinART, but that the date could be pushed back.

In fact, the wildly prolific Black has already begun making plans for another album, which Billboard.com understands will be recorded in Nashville with the assistance of veteran session musicians.

"Frank Black Francis" will be the follow-up to 2003's "Show Me Your Tears," which debuted at No. 24 on Billboard's Top Independent Albums chart. Extra tracks from the sessions were recently made available to Apple's iTunes Music Store in the form of an exclusive digital EP.

Black is not expected to tour in support of "Frank Black Francis." His camp remains mum on the details of the Pixies' long-awaited reunion, which will grace the stage May 1 at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival. It would appear the group is also planning to tour, but no official announcement has been made.

As previously reported, plans are in the works to release a new Pixies best-of collection as well as a DVD featuring a full live show from 1988 and eight music videos. No definitive release date has been set for these items, which will be issued by 4AD/Beggars.

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

cook me some fucking eggs!
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  08:25:06  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
Wow!!!

Thanks Chango.
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  09:12:28  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
This is especially interesting - In fact, the wildly prolific Black has already begun making plans for another album, which Billboard.com understands will be recorded in Nashville with the assistance of veteran session musicians.

I am still confused about the Frank Black Francis thing though - is it going to be anything new or just all previously unreleased stuff?

"Music does not drag me down. Music lifts me up." - Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  09:24:32  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
i think if anything is "new" i think it'll be re-tooled older stuff - what i'd love is basically just 2 discs of FB's closet - old demos, unreleased songs, alternate takes, etc.

i'm such a nerd

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put in a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  11:52:16  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Yeah, that would be great! I'm a nerd too. I just can't wait until April! I need to know now!

And I need more exclimation points!!

Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  12:31:00  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage
It only makes sense that it will have something to do with both solo and Pixies material; why else would both names be used for the title? I think that's all we're allowed to know for now.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  13:38:11  Show Profile
Anyone here from Nashville?? Know anything???
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  13:52:13  Show Profile
Where's swimmer when you need him?

Edited by - darwin on 01/29/2004 13:52:34
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  14:29:24  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
yah but why would it be called frank black francis unless its like bsides spanning both careers? its also kinda strange that hes not gonna record the next album with the catholics

-miked
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  14:30:00  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
This is great news...even with the rumors of the Pixies up in the air, at least we get someone saying that he's making plans for a new solo album, so for all FB&TC lovers, not all hope is lost.

"Join the Cult of Brit / And let your oral hygiene go out the window."
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  14:40:05  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by mdisanto

yah but why would it be called frank black francis unless its like bsides spanning both careers? its also kinda strange that hes not gonna record the next album with the catholics

-miked

I didn't assume that. Did it say that? Couldn't it just be ADDITIONAL studio musicians?

If not, I will just choose to live in denial until I hear otherwise.

Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  17:07:11  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
well they say "he" will be recording with assistance, not they. imean its very likely that the article doesnt know exactly whats going on, but still got me a little worried.

-miked
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  17:32:19  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
it'll be like nashville skyline FB stylee - or 12 country greats

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put in a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  18:24:44  Show Profile
session musicians sounds exciting. I wonder if it will be with the catholics too

Join the Cult Of Gunn / and you'll never need a hair stylist again"
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  21:49:45  Show Profile
Show Me Your Tears was a Catholics album made with the assistance of several musicians beyond the core Catholics so there's no reason yet to assume that the album after Frank Black Francis will be made without McCaffrey, Gilbert, Boutier, etc.

For those who haven't been keeping up with the Frank Black Francis discussions elsewhere on the board, last December, before any announcements had been made from any labels, someone on the Pixies board posted details of an upcoming 2-CD release. According to that poster, disc 1 will be solo Black Francis recordings from the very earliest days of the Pixies (someone pointed out that this may be the "Sing for Your Supper" tape recorded by Gary Smith [a google search will tell you what that is]). And disc 2 is new (and very different) arrangements of Pixies songs performed by Frank Black and the 2 Pale Boys (Andy Diagram and Keith Moline).

I guess that person could be wrong, but I believe them. They claimed to have gotten their information from a contact at Cooking Vinyl. And, as mentioned in a thread on the General FB Discussion board, some of the Frank & 2 Pale Boys recordings have already leaked into the file-sharing pool.

Edited by - Jason on 01/29/2004 21:55:45
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  00:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2577
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4184
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  01:01:41  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
Just a thought - can you imagine Frank preparing / recording a country album AND reforming his ex punk-rock band, moreover at the same time?

I can't...
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  01:22:43  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
chango, I'm currently spending the shittiest week ever, but that post of yours made my day. Thanks a million.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  01:30:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Frog in the Sand

Just a thought - can you imagine Frank preparing / recording a country album AND reforming his ex punk-rock band, moreover at the same time?

I can't...

well, if not charles thompson, who else could do something like that...

i really can IMAGINE him to do so, but for different reasons i still don't believe in the pixies reunion

Death to the Pixies / Here comes Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  02:26:07  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

Sure Frank is perfectly able to do many different things at a time, and do them well. I just mean that IMO he's slowly but surely turning his back on punk-rock.

quote:

Yeah!
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  07:35:44  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by GoddessTheory

quote:

quote:

Sure Frank is perfectly able to do many different things at a time, and do them well. I just mean that IMO he's slowly but surely turning his back on punk-rock.
quote:
Yeah!
Hey Frog...just curious, what IS punk rock? Do tell.

Testy, testy.

(edit: since the post I was referring to got moved I had to clarify. Man, you sure know how to ruin a good ribbing, Ms. Theory! =P)

"Wir müssen wissen. Wir werden wissen."

Edited by - apl4eris on 02/02/2004 13:23:28
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  11:56:18  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah!

Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  12:17:47  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah!

YOU wouldn't know!....oh wait, that's indie rock! Sorry, I had an elitist moment for a sec

peace, I'm out
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  12:32:30  Show Profile
It's such an elusive term "punk rock" what is it? I don't care who tells me, I just want to know.

Can you tell me, Mc? If you can, please inform me. Of course, if you wanna just make cracks, I have no use for that. I am sure you can go be funny somewhere else. I just want to know what "punk rock" is.

Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  12:38:48  Show Profile
punk rock was basically a response to the glut of corporate music in the 70's (disco, butt rock) in which bands returned to the sound rock had from the 50's and early 60's, although a lot more raw in form and quite often political. Good enough?

peace, I'm out
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  12:41:18  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
As of now it's Good Charlotte, Blink-182, New Found Glory, etc.

There's no real "definition" of punk rock because it's more of an adjective than a noun, if that makes any sense. The meaning of "punk rock" changes each time MTV wants it to.

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  12:45:59  Show Profile
none of that stuff is really punk rock. it's all pop based on real punk rock. Just like Nsync and the Backstreet Boys are pop based on Motown.

Another common feature of punk rock was a simple chord structure, usually just a variation of the 1-4-5 of a key.

peace, I'm out
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  12:51:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TheCroutonFuton

As of now it's Good Charlotte, Blink-182, New Found Glory, etc.

There's no real "definition" of punk rock because it's more of an adjective than a noun, if that makes any sense. The meaning of "punk rock" changes each time MTV wants it to.

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"

It makes perfect sense. That is the problem: people turning it into a category, a mere divider in a cd bin.

It's like how people use the term "classic rock."

It's a misnomer.

Of course it's easier for Emptv to "categorize" so they can divide their shows up. Well, it's the "punk rock" show. Let's play some Good Charlotte. They have piercings and spiky hair. That must be "punk rock." It is utter bullshit.
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  12:55:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mcmikey

none of that stuff is really punk rock. it's all pop based on real punk rock. Just like Nsync and the Backstreet Boys are pop based on Motown.

Another common feature of punk rock was a simple chord structure, usually just a variation of the 1-4-5 of a key.

peace, I'm out

It's still more of an adjective than a noun. You can't say that just because their is a certain chord structure, or certain instruments played that one thing is more "punk rock" than anything else.

Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  12:57:11  Show Profile
that's why I called it a "common feature"....read the entire post, not just what you WANT to see. The idea of punk rock in modern music has changed. What is called punk rock by mainstream radio DJ's is about as far from pure as it gets....it all gets watered down, i.e. the LCD theory

peace, I'm out
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  13:07:36  Show Profile
Don't be so touchy, cutie. Of course I read what you wrote. Great it's a common feature. Agreed. What I don't agree with is people (not you so don't get your knickers in a twist) who say that just because it dresses (in the broad sense of the word i.e. chords, instruments, short songs, etc.) like punk, it is one.

I know you didn't say that. And just to make you feel better, know from now on that when you write a post, I read every single word cuz you are my hero. Now take a deep breath, boo, and your funny will come back to you.

Go to Top of Page

The King Of Karaoke
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3759 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  13:08:46  Show Profile
If you ask me if I like blues I generally say no, but I love the original blues guy's Son House, Robert Johnson etc. The stuff they call the blues today is... I don't know... SHITTY?
I think starting with the example of the transition of blues music from original and exciting, to just some lame white guys pretending they know what the blues are, you can apply that example to almost every type of music after that.
Unfortunately I foresee indie music as the next victim. Hopefully it will just morph into another catch phrase like it did when Alternative music went main stream. I'm just glad we'll always have college radio and now the internet.
http://www.somafm.com/recent/?indie Once again, for those who may not have caught it in the other thread, check out Indie pop rocks on this site.

I joined the cult of CroutonFuton. Now I'm worshipping this giant golden whale phallus. Please help!
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  13:19:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by The King Of Karaoke

If you ask me if I like blues I generally say no, but I love the original blues guy's Son House, Robert Johnson etc. The stuff they call the blues today is... I don't know... SHITTY?
I think starting with the example of the transition of blues music from original and exciting, to just some lame white guys pretending they know what the blues are, you can apply that example to almost every type of music after that.
Unfortunately I foresee indie music as the next victim.

Heartily agreed.

I foresee a time when Indie Musicians will be eaten by their own black rimmed glasses and general malaise.

(Actually what would be better is if there was a giant cage match between Emo musicians.)

Edited by - GoddessTheory on 02/02/2004 13:20:43
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  13:23:21  Show Profile
quote:

It's such an elusive term "punk rock" what is it? I don't care who tells me, I just want to know.

Can you tell me, Mc? If you can, please inform me. Of course, if you wanna just make cracks, I have no use for that. I am sure you can go be funny somewhere else. I just want to know what "punk rock" is.

you're the last person who should ever talk to me about being touchy when you make a post like this, snookums

peace, I'm out
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  13:30:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mcmikey

you're the last person who should ever talk to me about being touchy when you make a post like this, snookums

peace, I'm out

I just might be, poobear.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000