Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kyrre
- FB Fan -

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  20:04:00  Show Profile
Money rules.....unfortunately

We’re in a trance. We are shocked! How about you? Did you almost feel the pain?

What can you say? What will you do?

We don’t want a reunion. It’s like pissing on all the members of the "True Frank Black fans" and FB-fans everywhere, all around the world. Here there and everywhere. We love Frank Black! Don’t ignore that! We are serious. Frank; we claim that you creates the best music in the world, so don’t let anybody come around and steal the best of you. Please, don’t do it for the money!

We saw the Pixies play live, 12-15 years ago. We bought the CD’s, EP’s and the singles. We loved the Pixies.

But after Pixies, God made Frank Black.

Norwegian Frank Black fan

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  20:10:44  Show Profile
Reunite the pixies every 10 years. That would be great! It's silly that people are making a big deal out of this.

...though he loved to rock and roll...
Go to Top of Page

Cabonga
- FB Fan -

Antigua and Barbuda
53 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  20:14:43  Show Profile  Visit Cabonga's Homepage
Agree

So, finally’ this is it! I do agree, couldn’t tell it better. Capitalism rules the world.

Die Harder
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  20:15:39  Show Profile
The more I think about it, the more I think that it's not a big deal, but if it's just for the money, which I don't think it is, then there would be a major problem

Join the Cult Of Gunn / and you'll never need a hair stylist again"
Go to Top of Page

Kyrre
- FB Fan -

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  20:20:09  Show Profile
The point is:

Me and my friends in Norway, and many other places around the globe, don’t want a reunion! We loved Pixies, but it’s too late.

Franck Black rules

Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  20:22:42  Show Profile
In defense of capitalism, people buy shit because they want/demand it...whether it's Nike or the Pixies.

They hype is strong, so feed it and have a hell-of-a-time while you're at it. Everyone's happy except for those who want to control the situation but don't get their way... Their fantasy is having a large ownership over the art/artist.

...though he loved to rock and roll...
Go to Top of Page

Kyrre
- FB Fan -

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  20:40:08  Show Profile
The problem with capitalism and the "glory of the marked" is that it doesn’t necessary give you quality. Because people want McDonalds doesn’t mean that the burgers are good for you!!! People want Pixies, but it is pure nostalgia and probably not very good… We can admit that. Pixies today can never be as good as Frank Black of today.

All my ghosts.

Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  08:20:03  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
This just depresses me so.

"Music does not drag me down. Music lifts me up." - Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  10:13:44  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
While there are a lot of flaws with the capitalist system in general, I don't see any problem with Frank and the others making a few extra bucks by reuniting the Pixies. Sure, they almost certainly won't be as good as they were the first time around, but I guess I just don't see it as cheapening anything. I guess it depends partially on what they end up doing, though.

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  11:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage
I feel that only good things can come from a Pixies reunion. I'm not sure how the music wouldn't be as good as it was the first time around. Maybe they won't smoke as much reefer, but Frank can still scream, and it's not like the songs are that hard to play. Those who wanna check it out can do so; those who are against it can avoid the shows. Maybe it'll bring some new converts into the "True Frank Black fans" club, whatever the f that is. Maybe Frank'll make boat load of cash (but that's doubtful) that will enable him to make albums that become even more obscure. Good fer him. There's no way this will be the end of the Catholics. Who knows, it could be really fun.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  12:05:30  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
What's the point though? Seriously, is it really worth it?

Cost: Fucking a legacy, fucking with history, and causing FB to take back many a quotes denying the possibility of a reunion. $$$ for the ticket.

What you get: An hour or more of a band playing 10 year old songs that you've heard over and over and over on countless albums and bootlegs.

Without the reunion, you'd get new albums with new songs from 2 fantastic bands (The Breeders and The Catholics). I guess some people just can't let go of the past and move on.

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  12:09:39  Show Profile
actually, i think it's the people who complain about the reuinion who can't let go of the past.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1077 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  12:45:12  Show Profile
Well at the end of the day, it is their legacy and their history IF they want to "fuck it up". Just by playing a few shows isnt going to rewrite history and turn surfer rosa and co. into stinkers. Sure Frank has been quoted numerous times saying theyd never play again but I don't believe it is solely because of the whaft of money. Im sure he has more than enough to get by without the reunion. However, the amount of speculation as to reasons and details of this reunion is phenomenal and it seems a bit premature to make any judgement concerning the motives and reasoning without any actual word from any of the bandmembers.
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  13:33:20  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
IMHO fb is pretty fed up with all the pixies related questions that ignorant journalists keep asking him throughout his entire solo career(i mean after 10 years and 8 solo albums one would aspect at least some respect as a solo artist).anyway here's a thought based in some of his quotes from interviews from fb to smyt era:

“When you're in that situation, when you used to associated with something that was financially more successful, and also critically acclaimed, I think it's hard to get away from that, until you once again ring the bells of success. You're never gonna……I'm never going to…… People are always going to say, "Yeah great record. Not quite as good as that old Doolittle record." They're always going to say that. I'm not sure why. I'm just guessing ahead. It has to do with the bottom line. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe my records now just aren't as good.”
the man is aware that the pixies will haunt his career but he is in peace with this fact

“[Kim Deal] wanted to write songs for [the Pixies], but we already had a songwriter-me, you know? We would try to learn her songs during rehearsals, but it just wasn't working. The rest of the band would just look at each other.”
he considers(and he is right IMHO) that the pixies were an one man project occasionally open to suggestions from the other band members

"How can I? Because I don't have a bigger pile of money? That's a bad attitude when you make your living as a musician. Hey, you're in. You're in the club, you're on tour, you make records, you get to sing with David Bowie on his 50th birthday. What more do you want? An island?"
he does not regret his choices even if they didn't gain him financial success

"Doolittle is Doolittle. There will never be another Doolittle"

"it would've been pretty cheesy to try and come out with something as hard as I can make it, or as grungey as I can make it. That would've been a little obvious."

he doesn't seem anxious to copy himself in order to satisfy fans\critics\record labels

"People can write about whatever they want to write about. I guess it's sort of like writing about history; it's just that it's recent history. People want to talk about records I made 10 years ago I don't care, records I make today, fine. Talk about whatever you want to talk about. They don't even have to talk about me..."

Yeah, I would, definitely. I guess it comes out that way, but maybe just because I've become more comfortable with my guitar and performing. I don't really have a blueprint or vision that I'm pursuing. It's just the way that it comes out.

his interest is to go on in his personal research of music and he hs nothing to prove to anyone.

and here is what i think :if his musical evolution includes reforming the pixies it's ok with me.i'm convinced that it will not be just a money thing.reforming the pixies will shut up all the pixies-only lovers and will put an end to this endless torment.i wonder if he is doing this for a need to return to more r'n'r forms too,more COR style that has abbandoned with the catholics.anyway whatever the reasons i'm sure he will never let anyone down with cheap marketing tricks.he's not the type.

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
www.superabound.altervista.org

Edited by - mun chien andalusia on 01/18/2004 13:34:43
Go to Top of Page

edward897
- FB Fan -

80 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  17:15:01  Show Profile
He going to cash in and use the money to make lots of FB&C records. Maybe open his own studio, buy new equipment, and keep The Catholics together forever. That wouldn't be a bad thing would it?

Ed
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  20:14:03  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

actually, i think it's the people who complain about the reuinion who can't let go of the past.

Um, what?

I might take you more seriously if your name wasn't PixieSteve.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  04:22:55  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
First of all,

I think the pixies shouldn't play in Norway, Kyrre and his friends don't want them to play, fine, if you don't want it, you won't get it...

I don't think FB really does it for the money, I believe he really wants to play with dave,kim and joey again. If they are friends again (which they were in the begining, I'm sure) and they click together musically, why wouldn't he just play with them for the joy of being the pixies. If you would be in the position of FB, every 2 years the same tour, the same countries, why wouldn't you do something different for a year. Why not? And why wouldn't you make a few extra bucks? If you play big concerts, you'll get big bucks. It's that easy. It's time for the pixies to claim what they are; it's like: Kids forget about Puddle of Mud and Limp Bizkit, we are the pixies!

There are still lot's of youngsters who need to be baptized and learn what the real deal is...ok I stop now, I'm talking crap.

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"
Go to Top of Page

Perhaps
- FB Fan -

133 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  06:03:31  Show Profile
I would also imagine it is not all for the money. After all, I would think FB would have handled things a bit differently in his solo career if he cared less about artistry than money. If you don't like good things being brought back to life, then don't consume. Don't buy tickets to the show, or the new DVD, or the new whatever comes of this.

Does anyone expect them to be the same? If you do, you are an idiot. They will certainly be different this time around. But shit if it doesn't rock...

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  06:50:30  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ramona

I have nothing to say other than that I appreciate the irony of your signature for this particular post. :)

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  07:01:49  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
FB, of course, has the right to do whatever he likes. We have the right to not like it. But I think that he has more than earned the right to some respect whatever his career moves. He's worked long, hard, and under the shadow of the Pixies for a long time and to our delight. Why should we deny the man wanting to step out from the shadow and back into the sun when he has given so much to us already.

Legacy? It's in the past. There are few things written in stone, but the one thing that is irrevocably set is the past - you can never change it. The only thing that can change is your perception of it. And for those who would feel the past is ruined somehow because of a reunion, while I perhaps understand your desire for it to be special to you, the fact is that now it can be special to a whole bunch of people who never got to experience them that first time.

Does anyone really think that Frank would let it be awful? Does anyone really think that having the same four members again on one stage is all it takes to make them the Pixies? I don't think that if they were to write new material that it would sound anything like the Pixies as we know them. Maybe think of it as Frank collaborating with Kim and some mutual friends, if that helps. How can it not be cool? And if they just play around with some of their old material, fine too.

I just wish they'd make it definite one way or the other, especially to their fans. Seems a little unfortunate to have MTV break the news while we who actually like and respect him sit in the dark...

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

GoddessTheory
= Cult of Ray =

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  07:03:48  Show Profile
At first I was shocked. Then I was thinking...wow...there might be a NEW Pixies album. And that got me thinking...what would that sound like and would it be more like his solo stuff or would he grope for Luna?
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  07:56:35  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

quote:
Originally posted by ramona

I have nothing to say other than that I appreciate the irony of your signature for this particular post. :)

Yeah, no kidding. Feh.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  08:50:59  Show Profile
In an interview around the time of his first solo album, F.B indicated he would only get back together for the money, and only for a reunion gig, at that...now, he probabably feels a little more nostalgic...he once said "Fuck the Pixies!" He was certainly bored with the band, and there were some disagreements, but it must be water under the bridge after about 11 years...

CARL.
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  09:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
Words of wisdom :

Being rich is better than being poor.

Now virtually everyone's singing a Pixies song / But I still believe in the excellent joy of Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1228 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  10:18:10  Show Profile
I find Kyrre's post persuasive but one thing keeps knawing at me.

Has Frank ever let us down ?

Well, why should he this time! He's been on a creative high the last four Catholic albums.

And by the way, if the man should drop by....

Motorway to Roswell Motorway to Roswell Motorway to Roswell Motorway to Roswell

Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  00:08:31  Show Profile
I absolutely hate "fans" that scream "sell-out". I am sorry, but it is always disrespectfull to the artist. In the first (and probably only) NME interview after the pixies split, he explicitly stated that he was a 100% capitalist, and that he wants money. He has stated that several times. He has also made several comments about what he perceives to be his responsibilities to his audience. Anyone who has followed the man for some time would know this. No one here will put a gun to your head and make you spend money on the pixies. If you don't like it, fine. But keep your moral judgments about the man to your weakling selves.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000