Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  12:32:55  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
None of the French musical magazines and newspapers (Les Inrocks etc...) has written a single line about "Show me your tears", which is probably one of the best FB albums since the beginning. I remember that they didn't write anything about TOTY (the best one for many FB fans) but they said COR was a much better album when it was released.

Rock journalists suck, I really think that they are corrupted by record companies in order to promote just one type of music (like the Strokes right now). They should burn in hell!

"I met a man/ he was a good man"

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  14:12:26  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
YEAH!

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  04:35:41  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Les Inrocks did review SMYT. They said it sucked though. Anyway, they don't know shit about music.
By the way, a friend of mine told me that "A Nous Paris" had an article about FB in last week's edition. Did anyone see it? I couldn't find the mag anywhere.

Denis

"In the Cult of Frank/You don't even get backstage passes"
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  02:47:00  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Adnan_le_Terrible

None of the French musical magazines and newspapers (Les Inrocks etc...) has written a single line about "Show me your tears", which is probably one of the best FB albums since the beginning. I remember that they didn't write anything about TOTY (the best one for many FB fans) but they said COR was a much better album when it was released.

I remember I found at least one good review of TOTY, in Les Inrocks (yes). I assume it was early '94. I'm not sure they really enjoyed COR, but they probably still cared a little about Frank then, as you can see below. (This pic has been posted before but it certainly deserves to be posted again.)

By the way, DITS was quite well received by French critics. I remember reading a French review saying something like: "At last Frank Black shows imagination and generosity"...

I must add that the professional reviewers at Fnac.com and Amazon.fr always write nice things about Frank and his work. That's (much) better than nothing.

Go to Top of Page

"French" Black
- FB Fan -

France
1 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  04:01:57  Show Profile
Bonjour!
There was an interesting article about SMYT in the october issue of Rock and Folk (plus a huge picture of Mister Frank Black).
Anyway it's true to say that french magazines in general tend to ignore Frank Black and the Catholics' works. It's been so since COR. But does it really matter? I've always loved this music and nothing I read in the magazines about my favourite artist and favourite band could influence my feelings.
The only problem is that a lot of people are unaware of the quality of the work done by the band mostly because of these magazines
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  04:52:20  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
Of course, it doesn't really matter, but I would really like FB to sell more records, and you can't really do it if magazines don'y talk about your records

Go to Top of Page

mergzez7
- FB Fan -

France
166 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  21:15:43  Show Profile  Click to see mergzez7's MSN Messenger address
Why do you want FB to sell more records, it would mean more fans, bigger rooms for the shows... "the likes of us are few", that's the best way it should be.

zez
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  22:33:12  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I suppose it just seems unfair.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  05:21:46  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by mergzez7

Why do you want FB to sell more records, it would mean more fans, bigger rooms for the shows... "the likes of us are few", that's the best way it should be.

zez

I really don't know the situation in other countries (though I've just spent 6 months in Sweden, and it isn't much better there), but in France, the situation of the musical creation is just alarming. If you look at the charts, you can really become depressed. And I don't think that listening to good music is a privilege of the "happy few". It is just a matter of a little effort of musical education : if a journalist takes 15 minutes to explain the work of an artist like Frank Black (on TV or radio, I think musical press IS for the happy few), some people WILL apreciate it. I already tried with some of my friends who don't know shit about music and it worked.

Currently, in France, there is no national radio station that plays rock music.

Currently, in France, there is no national TV show that proposes a quality music program.

This way is going nowhere : record companies don't want to give musical education to people, considering records as a product similar to a washing powder. But today, record companies are facing a big probability of failure. Let's see what happens.

Go to Top of Page

mergzez7
- FB Fan -

France
166 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  10:50:53  Show Profile  Click to see mergzez7's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Adnan_le_Terrible

Currently, in France, there is no national radio station that plays rock music.

I'm not saying this is a good radio station but Le Mouv' is supposed to be a national rock station. They used to play Monkey Gone To Heaven and Robert Onion at the beginning but now it plays Pink or Tatu songs only because there's a slight electric guitar sound at the back. They seem to think that makes them rock songs. I pouffe.

And above all there is Kyo, they're the future of French rock music, can you believe it? Even rock now is spoiled, for they have to feed pseudo-rebel teenage girls. I just ignore them and make my own musical way. Ignore them all.

zez

"quel gros sac ce Frank Black"
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  16:16:58  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
The only halfway decent French music I've heard in ages is dancey electronica, bands like M83 and Air. Is there anything else out there?

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
"Same thing we do every night, Pinky: try to take over the world!"
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  16:32:17  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
Of course there is something else, Cheeseman. The problem is that in France there is a tradition of songs more focused on good lyrics, so it is difficult if you don't speak French. There are some good artists, like Miossec or Vincent Delerm. But there is also a pop scene, some bands like Holden or Autour de Lucie are pretty good. However, musical creation is quite limited, except for electronica, and my favorite French band is Air. I think that the lack of appropriate channels in the mass media is responsible for this relative poverty.

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  16:33:47  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
Damn straight, I blame the media for pretty much anything I can.
What are good French bands worth checking out?
I have some recommendations for the Gooom label...

Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  16:39:28  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
There are 4 of them in my previous post.

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  16:47:25  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
OK, I see what you mean! I'll rephrase.
What sort of music are the bands you mentioned?

Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  17:10:23  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
Holden's music is a sort of peaceful pop music, with a fragile girl's voice on leading vocals. I would compare them to certain songs of Belle and Sebastian (though they sound more French, of course).

There is another pop band, La grande Sophie, whose music is more dynamic, and sounds more like the 60s.

Another band with a girl on the leading vocals is Autour de Lucie, they sound more indie rock.

Miossec and his more bourgeois little (spiritual) brother, Vincent Delerm, make quite good music, but it is more based on lyrics (though I think you can appreciate it even if you are not fluent in French).

I don't think it is the best list of current French non-electronica bands, but it is the one playing on my jukebox.

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  17:15:07  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
Sounds like some cool stuff.
I'd be interested to hear your recommendations on French electronica as well. I spoke to M83 the other day and they recommended Cyann & Ben and Abstract Keal Agram. Any more?
I'll find out tomorrow night, I need sleep. Bon soir!

Go to Top of Page

Nono le petit lutin
- FB Fan -

France
167 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  21:34:19  Show Profile
There is a rewiew of SMYT in the october issue of the french Rolling Stones.
Here it is, in french first ( in english below), for better translaters to precise any possible mistake or modify my too litteral translation :
"De beaux éclats et un plaisir de jouer intact.
Frank Black n'ambitionne plus de révolutionner le rock mais de jouer, tout simplement, et de sortir tous les disques qui tombent du manche de sa guitare. Difficile dès lors de faire la fine bouche devant ses compositions certes un poil pantouflardes : du rock carré teinté de country, dévalé avec un enthousiasme et une sincérité qui font chaud au coeur ("My favorite kiss", "The snake"). Mais on ne se refait pas, et Franck Black est toujours capable d'étincelles et de surprises : l'intro quasiment lounge de "Manitoba" (coécrit avec Van Dyke Parks), le blues lynchien de "Nadine" et surtout l'immense et minéral "Massif Centrale", à la fois lourd et fuselé comme aux plus beaux jours, qui justifierait à lui seul l'acquisition de Show Me Your Tears. Alors qu'on annonce une reformation des Pixies, pas de doutes : le gros Frank a encore la flamme."

Approximately, it gives :
"Beautiful pieces and an intact pleasure to play.
Frank Black doesn't set his heart on revolutionizing rock'n roll anymore but playing, simply, and bringing out every record which falls from his guitar. Therefore it's difficult to turn one's nose up in front of his most certainly a little stay-at-home compositions : plain rock tinged with country, rushed down with an enthousiasm and a sincerity which do the heart good ("My favorite kiss", "The snake"). But one doesn't change one's habits, and Frank Black is still capable of sparks and surprises : the quasi lounge style intro of "Manitoba" (co-written with Van Dyke Parks), the Lynch style blues of "Nadine" and above all the huge and mineral "Massif Centrale", at one and the same time heavy and streamlined like in the best days, which would by itself justify the acquisition of Show Me Your Tears. At the very time some people announce the Pixies are going to reunite, no doubts : fat Frank still got the fire".

Sorry my english is a little rusty ...

About radio stations, personnally I listen to Ouï FM, but it's only in Paris. It's pretty rock (classic, indie, alternative, poprock), depends on the moment of the day, they sometimes also have a short rotation with not so good stuff, but there are regularly guest groups playing live and reviews about concerts.

About french music, I like Dionysos, M, Silmarils a bit ... sorry there is bad chance to get another Noir D record before a long long time ... if it happens ...

Arnaud

They tried to give me advice / Down at the record shop / I said sit down boys / This may come as a shock / What's all I listen to / It's all freedom rock

... Calme et tranquille
Go to Top of Page

mergzez7
- FB Fan -

France
166 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  21:43:50  Show Profile  Click to see mergzez7's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Cheeseman1000

Damn straight, I blame the media for pretty much anything I can.
What are good French bands worth checking out?
I have some recommendations for the Gooom label...

The last French band that i found worth listenning to was Experience, and it was 2 years ago, a kind of very slightly electronic (i'm not a big electro fan at all)rock band, with overreal (i mean very pragmatic) lyrics, and samples... They released only one record (as far as i know) But then i haven't got much time to look for some new music by now.
There's also No One Is Innocent, but they don't exist any more, really good metal-something (it's not pure metal at all) band, 2 albums. Excellent.

zez

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  01:34:21  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Cheeseman, I'm not into electronica so I cound't really help you finding great bands, but I know that Gooom and Bip-Hop are 2 labels often mentioned by electronica lovers. If you like music that's a bit more dance-ish, you should check Avril (first album released last year) and generally everything that's released on F Communications. It's definitely my fave French label, and it covers house, techno, and electronica. You could try to listen to their latest compilation ("Classic & Rare") and see if there's something you like.

Denis

"In the Cult of Frank/You don't even get backstage passes"
Go to Top of Page

Nono le petit lutin
- FB Fan -

France
167 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  04:50:30  Show Profile
Zez, I think Expérience is an emanation from Diabologum, which was also a good band in the same style in the 90s ... I immediately recognised the voice of the singer, whose tone is unique and ideal for the pragmatic lyrics you mentioned. "Aujourd'hui maintenant" is a great song.

Arnaud

They tried to give me advice / Down at the record shop / I said sit down boys / This may come as a shock / What's all I listen to / It's all freedom rock

... Calme et tranquille
Go to Top of Page

mergzez7
- FB Fan -

France
166 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  09:17:23  Show Profile  Click to see mergzez7's MSN Messenger address
Indeed it is, Michel Cloup (i love that name) is the singer. The best song of the album's definitely "la question ne se pose pas".

I'm pretty sure one of the big bosses of the forum will soon tell us this topic's nothing to do with FB, and we should discuss such things somewhere else. Death to censorship!

zez

Go to Top of Page

Onion
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  04:02:35  Show Profile

Le Mouv' sucks quite a lot, but still it sucks less than most of the other French radios. The problem in France is that the radios have a 40% quota of French music, so apart from all the crappy overhyped stuff a la limp bizkit we don't get to listen to much rock.

I'm afraid we have to keep listening to regional radios (Radio Arverne is my favorite - I bet they play Massif Centrale )
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  06:05:41  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
Speaking of French rock, I know at least two great bands: Noir Désir and Kat Onoma. The third Kat Onoma's album, "Billy the Kid", is one of my few all-time faves, a real masterpiece, both elegant and energetic - great melodies, wonderful sound, deep, poetic lyrics. The band is little known in France (national radios ignore them), but I heard some time ago that they had gained a certain popularity in Japan and... uh, I don't remember, Scandinavia I believe.

I must also mention La Mano Negra. This band splitted ten years ago or so, and I wouldn't say they're the best French rock band ever, but these guys literally woke up the 80's French rock scene. In many respects they were the French "Clash" - besides, Joe Strummer himself counted among their fans. Don't forget them!!
Go to Top of Page

mergzez7
- FB Fan -

France
166 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  21:45:31  Show Profile  Click to see mergzez7's MSN Messenger address
Yeah,i've heard about Kat Onoma but i've never listened to them. Their drummer is said to be really good.
Of course Noir Désir, i didn't mention them coz i found it obvious, and also coz i'm a little bit uncomfortable with all that incredible story with Cantat. Nobody talks about it any more now. Anyone knows what's going on?

zez

Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2003 :  00:37:31  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
quote:

Of course Noir Désir, i didn't mention them coz i found it obvious

It's not so obvious for our English and American friends!
Go to Top of Page

mergzez7
- FB Fan -

France
166 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2003 :  00:53:45  Show Profile  Click to see mergzez7's MSN Messenger address
do you really think they'll read a topic about French rock music?
(if one of our English and American friends ever reads that that'll surely make them react)

zez

Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2003 :  01:25:19  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
quote:

do you really think they'll read a topic about French rock music?

Yeah, why not? If they're free/open-minded enough to enjoy Frank's music, they're certainly free/open-minded enough to read this topic...
Go to Top of Page

mergzez7
- FB Fan -

France
166 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2003 :  21:32:45  Show Profile  Click to see mergzez7's MSN Messenger address
This topic's been around since november 30 and there are 6 non-french posts.

zez

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  16:33:12  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
Seven.

"I joined the Cult Of Cheese/E-Damn!"
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  16:37:07  Show Profile
Eight zez!
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  16:55:00  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
Nine.

This could run and run...

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  16:59:19  Show Profile
Ten,

you could have blue kitties in no time Simon.

Alright I swear I'm leaving now.
Go to Top of Page

mergzez7
- FB Fan -

France
166 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  21:44:07  Show Profile  Click to see mergzez7's MSN Messenger address
I should have expected that kind of reaction. I surrender.

zez

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  03:33:29  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
I might just keep going, both to gain the blue kitties, and maybe just to prove i can count.

Hmm, maybe not.

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2003 :  15:02:24  Show Profile
12 and now I'm humming that sesame street tune.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000