New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

woozy
- FB Fan -

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  15:38:23  Show Profile  Visit woozy's Homepage
This is for the some that don't know much about Gordon Gano of the Violent Femmes. He, like Mr. Black, is musically refreshing. He came out with a solo album awhile back in which F.B. performs one of his songs. It rocks, my friends, and the whole album does too. Next time at the music shop, pause a moment, and take a look at it.

Take care my friends.

The King Of Karaoke
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3759 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  23:27:16  Show Profile
I have that one. I bought it because of Frank and PJ. It's definately unusual because Gordo is on it so little (if I recall correctly) but good stuff!

Note to self - Making love to blow up doll, not as good as advertised.
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  06:10:22  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
yeah, 'run' is a great song, haven't heard frank singing that madly for quite a while! it's great! :) I like the title track of the album too...

~~~
I'm flat out, you're so beautiful to look at when you cry. Freeze, don't move, you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequal to your life. Shady Lane, everybody wants one, Shady Lane, everybody needs one.
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  08:05:19  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
Vive les Violent Femmes !

"I met a man/ he was a good man"
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  08:56:51  Show Profile
Well, maybe I should give this album another try then, because I found it (*gasp*) rather tedious...

I love the Femmes though.

--
'Great, now you don't have stupid skin on your body…'
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  13:57:55  Show Profile
I read an interview once where Frank says he really relates to Gordan Gano and the Violent Femmes because, like the VF's first album, Doolittle was this album that just did ok when it came out, but just continues to sell and sell, just a little each year. Like the VF's first album, Doolittle is an album where, at some point in a rock fan's life, they buy it and love it. That it is an essential component of a young rock fan's CD collection. A rite of passage, if you will. Or something like that.

That’s all I know about that.
Go to Top of Page

Omer
= Cult of Ray =

275 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  07:00:41  Show Profile
"Hitting the Ground" is an OK album, but RUN is a killer tune, and Frank nails it.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  07:26:15  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by mrgrieves1971

I read an interview once where Frank says he really relates to Gordan Gano and the Violent Femmes because, like the VF's first album, Doolittle was this album that just did ok when it came out, but just continues to sell and sell, just a little each year. Like the VF's first album, Doolittle is an album where, at some point in a rock fan's life, they buy it and love it. That it is an essential component of a young rock fan's CD collection. A rite of passage, if you will. Or something like that.

I do have VF's first and Doolitle, and I'm a rock fan
you are right!

ps

I'm young too

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  08:11:42  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by mrgrieves1971

2 bands i wish i was/were in... pixies and violent femmes! maybe not the femmes now-a-days... and maybe not the pixies if they reformed... i'd settle for being in FB&TC, although I'm not sure I'd be quite up to their standard... :)

~~~
I'm flat out, you're so beautiful to look at when you cry. Freeze, don't move, you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequal to your life. Shady Lane, everybody wants one, Shady Lane, everybody needs one.
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  09:48:17  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage
am i the only one who respected Gordo more before they found out that the "praise jesus" VF songs weren't sarcastic?
Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  09:52:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ebb Vicious

am i the only one who respected Gordo more before they found out that the "praise jesus" VF songs weren't sarcastic?

why lose respect for someone because they're religious? I"m not a religious person...and even though Prince (to give an example) is super-religious, I still think he writes the best fucking songs ever!

------------------------
MY LOVE IS LIKE A TICKING CLOCK--BERSERKER!
WOULD YOU LIKE TO SUCK MY COCK--BERSERKER!
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  09:57:39  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by STITCHES

why lose respect for someone because they're religious? I"m not a religious person...and even though Prince (to give an example) is super-religious, I still think he writes the best fucking songs ever!

it's not that he is religious, it's that those songs are hilarious when taken as sarcastic and pathetic when taken as serious.

once again you need me to explain things to you. tsk tsk.
Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  09:59:22  Show Profile
you dont have to take them seriously, you know....now who's explaining what to whom.

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  10:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage
well, right, when i sing along to them i do it sarcastically. but knowing gordo was being serious makes me sad.
Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  10:05:42  Show Profile
you know what makes me sad? those commercials where you can sponsor a starving pygmy child.....doesn't that make you feel shallow?

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  10:06:26  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage
no, i think overpopulation is a serious problem so i don't really care when a lot of people die from starvation or AIDS or crap.
Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  10:10:33  Show Profile
can you really die from crap? if so I need to be more careful in the bathroom

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  20:08:16  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage
It seems like Frank's singing is more adventureous on compilations than on his albums these days ( Run, Sugar Daddy, Mother Popcorn). I miss vocals like on You Never Heard About Me (a b-side, I know, but anyway).

Also, why would anyone want to sponsor a child? So it can grow up and make more starving kids with AIDS. They're just poor, I'm poor and I'm thousands of dollars in debt. Those kids should send me 70 cents a day.
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  07:46:16  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage
yes you can die from crap.

i would argue that frank's singing is more adventurous on his own albums. why is yelling and screaming adventurous? i'd say that the singing on "True Blue" or "I Will Run After You" is more adventurous.

but hey, that's me, i'm a nut i guess.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  20:24:46  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
You can die from diarrhea.

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sarah spinart
- FB Fan -

77 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  08:01:42  Show Profile  Visit sarah spinart's Homepage
*bump* because anyone who hasn't heard this record *needs* to. every track is stellar in its own way, and pj harvey actually manages to sound like gordon gano in her "hitting the ground."

i grew up in wisconsin, where seeing the femmes play every summer was something of a ritual, and the band will always have a special place in my heart even though the last time i saw them (last year i think?), they - for the first time i've ever seen - were mediocre, and really starting to show their age. regardless, i've seen gano play solo since and he totally knocked my socks off with femmes songs and new solo stuff (inc. "hitting the ground") and randomness like a three-part italian love song. it was pretty awesome and made me remember why i named my first guitar, bought a month after seeing the band for the first time, gordon.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000