violent femmes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  14:08:55  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
anyone know if they're touring soon in the uk? i thought i saw their name somewhere playing a date, maybe in ireland, but i've had a look on the net and can find no mention, has anyone heard anything about any forth-coming tours?

~~~
I'm flat out, you're so beautiful to look at when you cry. Freeze, don't move, you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequal to your life. Shady Lane, everybody wants one, Shady Lane, everybody needs one.

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  14:58:29  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage
I saw them in '96 or '97. Terrible!

Gordon Gano seemed incredibly bummed. Burned out.

Several times he started to play a song, paused for a moment, then said "Forget it ..ummmm..."

-

Dunno how often it's updated, but there are a few US dates here: http://www.vfemmes.com/fem_html/ride_bus2.html

*Shka-pow!
Go to Top of Page

harringk
- FB Fan -

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  14:59:40  Show Profile
Not sure about the UK, but I just saw them in Spokane, Washington for a special Halloween costume party concert. It was pretty small, probably only 100-200 people.

I love the Femmes and have seen them live 4 times now. First time I saw them with my wife who was 9 months pregnant and went into labor during the concert (we stayed and watched the entire show before going to the hospital).

Unfortunately I don't think the set-list has changed by more than 1 or 2 songs for every concert I've seen. Which is a pitty because they have so many songs to choose from. If you've never seen them live, go for it, but if you've seen them before don't expect anything new.
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  15:17:06  Show Profile
I also saw them in 96 or 97 and I thought they sucked.
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  16:29:24  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
I saw them in 92' and they fucking rocked.

"Join the Cult of Frank / or The Clops gets it!"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  06:29:54  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
I would like to see them

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"
Go to Top of Page

your mamas a pretty thing
- FB Fan -

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  10:26:20  Show Profile
i got the voilent flems
*hack*
oysters anyone?

Show Me Your Tears In The Sand
Go to Top of Page

model consumer
- FB Fan -

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2003 :  15:42:49  Show Profile
I saw them in '90 and they fucking ruled. It'd be sad if they started sucking. Their original drummer rejoined them last year, I read on their website... I wonder if that would give them some more piss and vinegar. Someone told me once that FB said in an interview that he was influenced by Gordan Gano's vocal style. In any case they both are obviously heavily influenced by Lou Reed, which would also explain the similarities, if there be any. I've liked the 'Femmes ever since I first heard 'em and recently got the Rhino reissue of their debut album so I've been listening to them again a lot for the first time in a long time. What a great band.

--
"What's all I listen to? It's all freedom rock!"
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2003 :  17:23:10  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
more info, okay i'll come clean, i work for ticketmaster, part-time (to pay for my education dudes!)... had a look on our system earlier to see if i really had noticed their upcoming date, and it was there, they're playing Ireland, sometime in May IIRC, fingers crossed for a full uk tour!

i made 2 big mistakes a couple of years ago, the first is not going to see jonathan richman, the 2nd is not going to see the femmes, all will be put right, soon hopefully!

~~~
I'm flat out, you're so beautiful to look at when you cry. Freeze, don't move, you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequal to your life. Shady Lane, everybody wants one, Shady Lane, everybody needs one.
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  00:23:20  Show Profile
I've been considering purchasing some Violent Femmes for years, but the only songs I know by them are Blister in the Sun and American Music. I like both, though.

Alcohol or pot? VHS or Beta? Man or Astro-man?
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  01:18:56  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by TarTar

I've been considering purchasing some Violent Femmes for years, but the only songs I know by them are Blister in the Sun and American Music. I like both, though.

Alcohol or pot? VHS or Beta? Man or Astro-man?

Go with #'s 1-3

Violent Femmes
Hallowed Ground
Blind Leading the Naked

Past that it gets pretty sketchy, IMO.

*Shka-pow!
Go to Top of Page

model consumer
- FB Fan -

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  01:19:17  Show Profile
you might want to start with the "best of" compilation called "Add it up" as it's not a half-bad intro to the band and it has both those songs on it. On the other hand if you are going to buy the first album get the Rhino Records reissue from last year. It's totally worth it.

--

Edited by - model consumer on 12/27/2003 01:20:38
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  01:22:23  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
You must have their debut album
it's very strong
It has blister in the sun (not American Music, that's on Why Do Birds Sing? a little bit weaker in my opinion)
You could get the excellent reissue, it's worth you money.
It has a lot of demos,all the songs of the actuall album which I find a bit needless, but there are 3 non album demos that ended up on later albums, some good live stuff (some bad too) great interview, and 2 very very cool b-sides.
Do it!

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  05:35:39  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
after hearing blister in the sun (after looking into them after hearding the wannadies fantastic cover version of the song) i got the best of 'add it up' and like the dude above says, it's well worth it, a great selection of tracks. considering buying the first few albums now, including that re-issued double cd one...

~~~
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  12:47:53  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
I liked them in 8th grade, circa 1987? Then every teenage boy and subsequently, frat boy, and every "college" radio station, played them into the annals of suckdom. "Blister in the Sun" makes me want to kill people now. Thank you, upstairs neighbor frat boys, who also happened to love the Dave Matthews Band and Jimmy Buffet. I should have offed you when I had the chance.

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!
Go to Top of Page

model consumer
- FB Fan -

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  13:13:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by apl4eris

I liked them in 8th grade, circa 1987? Then every teenage boy and subsequently, frat boy, and every "college" radio station, played them into the annals of suckdom. "Blister in the Sun" makes me want to kill people now. Thank you, upstairs neighbor frat boys, who also happened to love the Dave Matthews Band and Jimmy Buffet. I should have offed you when I had the chance.

That sucks. Indeed, that song has been played out. Have you ever heard their second album, Hallowed Ground?

I used to live dangerously close to the University of Wisconsin football stadium and a few Saturday mornings had to listen to annoying music at insane volumes coming not from up or down stars but from across the street or down the block-- mostly Dave Matthews, et al. One morning to counteract I put my speakers to the window and blasted Black Flag for a while. I wonder if it did any good? It sure felt good.

--
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  13:35:46  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Ohhh that's delicious. I would suggest blasting polka, as Black Flag is actually doing them a favor ;), but then again, you were in Wisconsin, and that would just be like throwing Brer Rabbit into the briar patch. (I love Wisconsin, BTW)

Thank you....I would try listening to that album, but I am afraid the band is ruined for me....the same almost happened to Mudhoney and Sonic Youth, as a good friend who used to give us rides all over town and back and forth from home to college always played them in the car. As a matter of fact, he played the Femmes incessantly too. Dirty rat bastard.

-sigh- ....at least I still have Sonic Youth.

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  14:32:53  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage
Shame. Hallowed Ground is a great album.

-

Frat boys ruined Squirrel Nut Zippers for me. (Go on. Make fun.)

*Shka-pow!
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  15:00:26  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Hey, they [SNZ] were alright for a while, true, sadly they got MTVd and went straight to corporate music hell. But the tangential Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire was WAY great, (ack! thpbttpb!! ...before it fell to pieces 2 years or so ago).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000