Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  02:43:17  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
for me it was the ramones followed by the dead kennedys and the adolescents.what do you think?and please don't say the sex pistols

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
www.superabound.altervista.org

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  03:21:59  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
F*ckin' love the DK, specially the later stuff like Plastic Surgery Disasters and In God We Trust Inc.

I like the Ramones but they're too samey to make me a fan. The Descendants are also one of the best originally punk "pop" bands, alongside the Buzzcocks and the Undertones. I don't like the Pistols bar a few songs. Boring.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / Because I thought it would straighten out my life, SIR!"

Edited by - Doog on 11/30/2003 03:27:41
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  03:35:50  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
dead kennedys....yep! the ramones seemed too rock and roll than punk to me. hmm does that make sense?

what was it they used to say, 'the clash made the music and the pistols made the headlines' didnt they?

"Joan my Clerk of Trompe / And You'll be chick-a-be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

interloper
= Cult of Ray =

440 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  05:54:41  Show Profile
Love the Ramones and the DK's, even though I can't really get to into Jello's vocals. Misfits, Black Flag...all the obvious ones but for me, it's all about Bad Brains. Easily my fave.

Don't forget about Flipper, DOA, Saints, Dead Boys, Stooges (yes, Stooges), Richard Hell and the Voidoids, X, Circle Jerks, and the Dicks. But all in all, as far as personal pick, it's gotta be Bad Brains. Hands down.

True cynics are nothing more than dissapointed idealists.
Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  10:12:16  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
interloper... i love that quote.

Also love the Ramones... Subterranian Jungle is my fav album. Simply genius. DK, and the clash, i can't believe no one has mentioned the clash.

I've come to hate my own creation...now i know how God feels.-Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  10:36:20  Show Profile
I've always liked the Ramones a lot, but for me, the punk band is the Replacements, even if they were only punk for the first few albums before sliding into a more straight up rock n roll sound.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  11:17:19  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address

Thomas
"Our love is rice and beans and horses lard"
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  12:21:05  Show Profile
Bad Religion, NoFX, the Vindictives. Old Offspring music.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
Carl Sagan

Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  12:26:06  Show Profile
I can't believe no one has mentioned Good Charlotte.

"Join the Cult of Mr. Potato Head / And You'll Have Buckets of Fun"
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  12:41:43  Show Profile
I'm kinda partial to New York Dolls...and when you think about it, the first BEST punk band was the Who. So those two get my vote!

Catchin' blue in his eyes that were brown

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  12:46:00  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage
Heckle was ril good back when they were only releasing cassettes. The Minutemen were great. Stooges, just like Interloper said. The first three X albums are a feckin blast. But I'd probably say the Kinks as the best.
Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  12:48:58  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address

quote:
Originally posted by ProverbialCereal

I can't believe no one has mentioned Good Charlotte.

"Join the Cult of Mr. Potato Head / And You'll Have Buckets of Fun"

Please god say your joking...Im a little tired today and am probably going to get beat up for not realising the joke but...please, god.

I've come to hate my own creation...now i know how God feels.-Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  12:52:03  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
Richard Hell, cool. Saints. Damned. Awe-some!
I'd say Dick Dale was the first punk, so maybe him.

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
"Same thing we do every night, Pinky: try to take over the world!"
Go to Top of Page

SpudBoy
= Cult of Ray =

Equatorial Guinea
649 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  13:09:17  Show Profile  Visit SpudBoy's Homepage
First does not always mean best, IMHO. Tie: Social Distortion and Minor Threat. Drinking, poverty, and busted knuckles til the cow she is comink home. They are PFR and OI! to you if you don't like it.

I looked for a cult to join, then decided to just play "Sink". Hey! I sank Toledo, Ohio!
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  13:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
Spudboy, can I presume you're a Devo fan? If so, kudos!

Jello's voice is the main thing that grabbed me when hearing the DK for the first time- if it was just some normal "punK" voice, I probly wouldn't have given them a second look.

Edited by - Doog on 11/30/2003 13:57:17
Go to Top of Page

greg
- FB Fan -

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  14:20:03  Show Profile  Click to see greg's MSN Messenger address
THE CLASH!!!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  14:54:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by SpudBoy

First does not always mean best, IMHO. Tie: Social Distortion and Minor Threat. Drinking, poverty, and busted knuckles til the cow she is comink home. They are PFR and OI! to you if you don't like it.

that first Social Distortion album is fucking excellent. and recorded in my hometown baby! Fullerton, CA. (also where the electric guitar was invented. those are about the only two cool things about it. and me of course)..

this question is too tough.. what constitutes the "best"? and also, what constitutes "punk"?

if we're talking just, what was the best musically, in the very general realm of punk, i'd say The Clash, hands down. but then how punk were they after the first album? that quote, about Clash making punk and Sex Pistols making the headlines is kind of backwards i think. The Clash are the ones who made punk mainstream, and the ones who made the most money. which shouldn't matter, but if we're talking about punk in the strict sense, it kind of does. and don't get me wrong, i love The Clash...

as much as i think The Clash were a better band, you can't deny that the Sex Pistols are the classic punk band. the lyrics, the attitude, Sid Viscious and Johnny Rotten.. c'mon..

playing in front of redneck audiences in the midwest and getting hit in the face with bottles, and then continuing to play, bleeding.. that was pretty punk. (even though John Lydon does his money gigs now.)..

does anyone remember a band called the Crucifux? they were pretty punk. i don't think they were around that long, but their albums were so offensive and funny.

i guess that doesn't answer your question..
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  15:18:06  Show Profile
Floop!!! I'm from Fullerton too!

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  16:11:17  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage
Yeah. Crucifucks.

-

Flux of Pink Indians get my vote.

I mean, whether you agree with the politics or not, you've got to love that beautiful feedback!

*Shka-pow!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  16:50:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TRANSMARINE

Floop!!! I'm from Fullerton too!

-bRIAN

what high school did you go to?

i hope you don't know me because then i'll be embarassed at my severe frank black internet nerd status.
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  19:34:13  Show Profile
He won't let anyone know, cuz that would reveal his internet nerd status, too. Or you should just celebrate your internet nerd status, cuz celebrating insecurities is what punk is all about.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  19:38:49  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Also, Big Black
and Evergreen
and Crain.

Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  20:23:50  Show Profile
Actually, Floop, I went to high school in Chino...was born in Fullerton and lived there and then lived in Chino...went to Fullerton JC for three years then moved to New York for 2 years....then back to Orange County (Huntington Beach), now back in Riverside County. Whew!

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

SpudBoy
= Cult of Ray =

Equatorial Guinea
649 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  20:24:31  Show Profile  Visit SpudBoy's Homepage
Doog: A Devo fan indeed. Particularly the early work around the time the Dead Boys and Devo wound up in an all-out on stage brawl (that lasted two whole minutes and ended up in Devo getting their nerdy butts kicked by the gutter punk Dead Boys). Booji to you too!

A few more for the dogpile:

Fear
Black Flag
Agent Orange (still kicking too)
Seven Seconds
Gorilla Biscuits

man all this makes me wanna go get drunk on fortified wine and fall out of a speeding car.

I looked for a cult to join, then decided to just play "Sink". Hey! I sank Toledo, Ohio!
Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  06:05:36  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage
I'm going to go with Richard Hell and the Voidoids. Blank Generation is my favorite album as a whole so I think that gives them the vote.

"Hey fuck you if you don't like it."
-Johnny Thunders
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  08:52:17  Show Profile
The best live punk band I've ever seen was D.O.A. in November 1980. They had it all!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  09:54:12  Show Profile
quote:

Actually, Floop, I went to high school in Chino...was born in Fullerton and lived there and then lived in Chino...went to Fullerton JC for three years then moved to New York for 2 years....then back to Orange County (Huntington Beach), now back in Riverside County. Whew!

-bRIAN

fullerton baby.. that's where i grew up. i came to loath Orange County, but it's kind of nice to go back and visit Fullerton in small incruments (like this weekend over Thankgiving)..

Go to Top of Page

JoobJoobbird
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  03:29:45  Show Profile
What about The Fall, the first two albums 'Live at the With Trials' and 'Dragnet' are angry and refined.

Yesterday he killed his wife-uh
She was wasting his life-uh
His vains are full of evil serum
but whats done is done-uh

Now he hides in flat of Angles

-Mark E Smith

"I joined the Cult of Frank/And now I can never go home"
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  04:38:38  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ObfuscateByWill

Flux of Pink Indians get my vote.

I mean, whether you agree with the politics or not, you've got to love that beautiful feedback!

*Shka-pow!

wow, I didn't think I'd hear their name.

"i lovvve, tube disasters!!"

"Joan my Clerk of Trompe / And You'll be chick-a-be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Shepherd
- FB Fan -

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  05:29:22  Show Profile  Visit Bryan Shepherd's Homepage
BUZZCOCKS!

I'm the guy from wonderland...& you will never understand...
Go to Top of Page

pinkashtray
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  05:44:39  Show Profile
my friend kevins band opened for the buzzcocks earlier this year..they've opened for the vandals,social d, and guttermouth,etc..im not into it..but maybe some of you might like it..
check it http://kungfurecords.com/html/godawfuls.shtml

-whatever i say is only spit-
Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  06:14:18  Show Profile
quote:

I'm kinda partial to New York Dolls...and when you think about it, the first BEST punk band was the Who. So those two get my vote!

-bRIAN

I tried to explain to a friend of mine once that for all intents and purposes, the Who were the first punk band (except for the fact that the term hadn't been applied to music yet) and he laughed at me....it's nice to know somebody else feels the same

-----------------------
MAMASAYMAMASAMAMACOOSA
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  06:15:50  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
I took a listen to the mp3s at the link you gave, pink - thanks. Like you said, not really my thing, but they could be fun live. I was actually pleasantly surprised, and I'm happy there are people still coming up with something worth giving a second glance. I dont know if anyone else has checked 'em out, but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents about what I heard.

I can really hear the Social D, Pistols (vocals in NRA in the middle), and Buzzcock influences. The production is a little too over the top for my punk listening tastes, and they seem like a much better live band. Negatives outa the way first, the bass is just kinda there, and the drumming fits their name. They could use a better drummer, IMHO. Other than that - lyrics aren't bad (no whining BS here!), the vocals (minus the extra vocals tracks) are great, and the guitars are cracking. And for those to whom it makes a difference, they definitely get cred in the industry for being co-produced by a member of the Dwarves. Would probably be interesting to see live, with the right headliner - unfortunately, they seem to run the gamut - the next show is with Guttermouth.

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!
Go to Top of Page

pinkashtray
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  14:09:59  Show Profile
very nice apl..couldn't have said it better.
thanks for checkin em' out :)

-whatever i say is only spit-
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  14:17:05  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
yoobetcha! ;)

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom":Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  14:17:47  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Buzzcocks are #1 imo. Twisted, yet catchy as all hell.

Also worthwhile, imo, Flipper, Descendents, and lets not forget the Stranglers.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000