New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2003 :  13:23:27  Show Profile
All computer nerds unite! I need help figuring how to approach this desire I have. I've waste some money for about 300 megs of webspace and want to create a internet radio, or something.

How can I broadcast MP3s, using my webspace, using Windows mediaplayer, and legally? Not using realplayer, and not from my computer.

-Kirk

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2003 :  13:29:58  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
It's really not about the webspace, it's more about the bandwidth. You need quite a bit to do it. Then, there are programs out there that host a stream at a specific port. Not all ISPs allow this, so make sure you can do so.

I've considered hosting an internet radio from home, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe this week, I'll set up something, since my computer'll be on all the time anyway.

As for legality, well, to put it simply, you can't do it unless you have the copyright holder's permission which usually involves royalties. Though if you posted a message in the King's Court and if Frank ever returns, he might let you do it without royalties since you presumably won't be making money. I wouldn't be surprised to get a 'no' though.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

ihatethebeatles
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  18:50:10  Show Profile
If you have an extra PC and are on a broadband connection you can set up a Shoucast server (http://www.shoutcast.com ). It will allow anyone with an mp3 player to listen to you.
If you don't have an extra PC handy, you can pay a monthly fee and use a service like http://www.live365.com I'm not sure exactly what the deal with them is, since I haven't used them since they went to a pay to host model.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000