That new Strokes song 1251
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  12:59:50  Show Profile
I've never really listened to the Strokes, I've only heard people praise them or bitch about them (seems like there's been equal amounts of both). I avoided them initially because they were overhyped, but I downloaded their new single 1252 (maybe it's 12:51) and I think it's a great song. The vocals are buried deep within the song, almost inaudible, with a moog keyboard-sounding lead supplying the melody for most of the song (it might be a guitar that sounds like a moog, I'm not sure). It's quite different from that other song Last Night that I've heard by them, which was only okay in my opinion. Having only heard these two songs, I can't really say that I like or dislike the Strokes, but I know that the 1251 song is excellent.

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  14:34:20  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address
It is heavy on The Cars influence in a good way.

Thomas
"Our love is rice and beans and horses lard"
Go to Top of Page

NO.13Girl
- FB Fan -

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  17:05:46  Show Profile  Visit NO.13Girl's Homepage  Click to see NO.13Girl's MSN Messenger address
I kind of like the Strokes a bit...
but...
They're new song as well as most of their last album bored the hell out of me...they lack something...not sure what...

p.s. their song 'Soma' is probably the best they will ever get..

"I joined the Cult of Frank / Aren't I Special?"
Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  21:53:30  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage
It bugs me that the vocals are so buried in the song it is catchy though. I just wish I could make out what the guy was saying. The video is pretty cool as well.

"Hey fuck you if you don't like it."
-Johnny Thunders
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  07:56:01  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Can I just ask, in all seriousness, where the hell can you watch videos anymore? I mean besides the latest PDiddy/Nelly-Aid/BIG/Courvoisier/spinning-hubcaps/featuring-Busta-Rhymes (I used to like him) train wreck?
I miss 120 minutes and that old show that played Autechre and Aphex Twin and Orb videos - Amp? I miss good videos. Somebody please show me the way.... :(

I like a few Strokes songs, but I think they should have waited a little while before going big - they need a little more development, cause all their stuff starts to sound the same and is kinda flat. But I like their attitude. Again, some really good songs. But they got Clear-Channeled, IMHO.

Edited by - apl4eris on 11/22/2003 07:57:57
Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  07:58:00  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage
It's rough but they play some quality stuff sometimes on Fuse. most of it is junk though. I especially get a kick out of their metal show called Uranium where they play the most god awful heavy bands I have ever heard with the lamest videos, it's so bad it's great I watch and laugh my ass off.

-Johnny Thunders
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  08:05:26  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Oh yeah! We caught that show once - the host is such a poser lame-ass. Seems like the guests that were on thought so too, even though they had no room to talk. Everybody was making fun of her - including the co-host, that was pretty funny). That new Headbanger's ball is a laugh-riot too. This one guy was guest hosting and it took him about 5 seconds to get around to saying each word. He was more of an argument against heroin and whipped cream bottles than Ozzie!

Oh! and ummm, strokes strokes strokes. (Sorry for the derailment....:))
Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  08:09:55  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage
I'm thinking about picking up the new Strokes but I'm really afraid it's about 80% filler.

-Johnny Thunders
Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  08:27:55  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
It Is....

The new album is alright but nothing really caught me when i was listening to it, It was pretty much just the same song, over and over and over for 40 mins....or however long it was...i lost track, i lost my mind. Ok I'm joking it wasn't that bad but...yeh don't buy it new...a little to much money to pay for one song.

I wanna rock and roll all night, and part of everyday...
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  08:36:03  Show Profile
the new strokes album is pretty good, which is strange of me to say cos i used to be totally anti-strokes. and english music to watch are: the amp, mtv2(they have a 120 minutes thing now, which show some good videos, except i hate that newish aphex twin one(all these booty shaking girls have his scary mask face! aargh!) and the video for NIN's hurt makes me feel ill) and, maybe vh1 and Q. the amp is the only very good one, but they tend to show the same ones over and over too much(ie the cure's lullaby-good video but i'm real sick of it). and i hate Q and vh1.

"I joined the Cult of Trippy/...what was i singing again???"
Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  08:38:08  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage
The Cure Greatest Hits DVD is awesome, they make great videos.

-Johnny Thunders
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  13:12:41  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I heard most of the new Strokes album and it's really lame. Some of the guitar stuff is interesting, but as pointed out already, it all sounds the same. Droaning, dull, distorted vocals....4/4 beats with constant guitar downstroke strumming...fucking write a new song for christ's sake. One of the songs even has the same exact vocal melody of one of the first album's songs...I think it's Soma. This girl at work was playing the album and says it's "fun"...she got really pissed when I pointed out how unoriginal and bland they are.

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."
Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  13:22:58  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
It sounds like they took the last album threw it in a blender and added some milk to help it go together smoothly.It's like artists are so afraid of being original now because they know people just want the same old shit again and again....I have never seen so many Gr hits albums in all my life.trust me, i see this crap everyday...and im such a bitter lady now.

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  13:45:50  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Brackish Girl

the new strokes album is pretty good, which is strange of me to say cos i used to be totally anti-strokes. and english music to watch are: the amp, mtv2(they have a 120 minutes thing now, which show some good videos, except i hate that newish aphex twin one(all these booty shaking girls have his scary mask face! aargh!) and the video for NIN's hurt makes me feel ill) and, maybe vh1 and Q. the amp is the only very good one, but they tend to show the same ones over and over too much(ie the cure's lullaby-good video but i'm real sick of it). and i hate Q and vh1.
That's so weird - it's almost like mtv2 is in a time warp over there or something - all those cool videos AND 120 minutes. what up with that?!!!! I am green with envy.....
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  13:48:52  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Coldheartofstone

It sounds like they took the last album threw it in a blender and added some milk to help it go together smoothly.It's like artists are so afraid of being original now because they know people just want the same old shit again and again....I have never seen so many Gr hits albums in all my life.trust me, i see this crap everyday...and im such a bitter lady now.
You need to read that Clear Channel article in Harper's Magazine. (especially considering your job!) I would go nuts, too! Holy shit! It explains all that crap. I wish i could scan it for ya and put in on a server - don't have one yet..... if you can buy this month's issue, it's WELL worth it!
Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  13:54:22  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
I will definetaly check it out, thanks man.

Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  19:50:35  Show Profile
Jim the El Barto says it well.

Their first album is so bland. I especially dislike the guys voice. Not so much the sound of his voice, but what he does (or doesn't do) with it. I think he only has a one octave range.

"Join the Cult of Mr. Potato Head / And You'll Have Buckets of Fun"
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2003 :  06:25:27  Show Profile
i think he just talks. i feel an idiot for saying the new albums' okay now. fine, i'll jump on the bandwagon. "IT'S BLAND AS FUCK!"

"I joined the Cult of Trippy/...what was i singing again???"
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2003 :  08:38:04  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto

This girl at work was playing the album and says it's "fun"...she got really pissed when I pointed out how unoriginal and bland they are.

You work at a BestBuy, right?

I didn't realize employees picked the music played in-store.

Cool.

*Shka-pow!

Edited by - ObfuscateByWill on 11/23/2003 08:38:51
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2003 :  09:43:34  Show Profile
The employees don't pick the music. I think the same promo CD is played in all Best Buys. Right now it has an Andrew WK song on it, and some other stuff I've never heard. Of course, I've been working in customer service and we have a TV/stereo/DVD player to test out returned media, and we were watching the Tribute to George Harrison DVD all of Friday night.

"Join the Cult of Mr. Potato Head / And You'll Have Buckets of Fun"
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1887 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2003 :  10:08:30  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage
Ah. Must have been a boombox in the backroom for whatever dept.

The last time I went to a BestBuy they were playing Massif Centrale over the PA. After Barto's post I thought that there may have been an FB fan staffing the joint someplace.

Phooey.

*Shka-pow!
Go to Top of Page

MangyKid
- FB Fan -

170 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2003 :  12:49:44  Show Profile
12:51 sucks, it's all about the reptilia. there's 2 other songs that are good too, forget the names though, and they don't sound like anything on the first album, you "Well I think they're pretentious so I'm going to not like them, which is being pretentious, well whatever, I contradict myself all the time so what." people. If you only listen to the singles on the radio, all we'd get out of the pixies is here comes your man and monkey gone to heaven. I can't say the whole album is great, but it certainly doesn't suck. Go listen to good charlotte or one of those types and tell me you'd rather listen to that.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2003 :  21:30:28  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
quote:
You work at a BestBuy, right?

I didn't realize employees picked the music played in-store.

Cool.

This was my other job at the video store :) I still work there since I'm still only part time at Best Buy...I'm getting more hours tho, so I'm gonna dump my video store job soon (thank god).

We do have the option to play our own music, to an extent. Best Buy promotes an online music service called Rhapsody. Same as iTunes and Napster and all that. We have an endcap with a kiosk in our department which you can check it out and preview songs, etc...we have some sweet Klipsch speakers hooked up to it so we can pretty much listen to what they have on there. They have all the Pixies albums, TOTY, and a lot of other bands as well; pretty much the same selection as iTunes and everything.

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000