Space Twins
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  09:53:48  Show Profile
Anyone round these parts heard the new Space Twins album, which is a band lead by Brian Bell of Weezer. I'm considering purchasing it cuz I've heard a few Space Twins songs, and I was surprised at how good a songwriter Brian Bell is. Matt Sharp's band The Rentals were a great band, too. I don't know if they're still together. Weezer has had an impressive history with "side projects". I've never heard Pat Wilson's band Special Goodness, but I bet they're excellent.

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  09:58:16  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage
Talking about side projects anyone like Bad Astronaut?

"Hey fuck you if you don't like it."
-Johnny Thunders
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  11:34:34  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage
Speaking of bands that have outer space related names, does anyone like the Spaceheads?
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  12:48:19  Show Profile
I've seen the Spaceheads live. They opened for VHS or Beta and Drums & Tuba at a small club here in Kalamazoo last year. I remember liking their show, but don't remember much. I remember their were two guys, one playing the trumpet and one messing around with electronic stuff. My friends and I talked with them after the show. Their name fits their personality. They were really spacey and distant.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  15:33:21  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by WolfManMikeLonely

Talking about side projects anyone like Bad Astronaut?

-Johnny Thunders

I have Acrophobe, and I love that album. It doesn't seem like any other punk band around for some reason.
Excellent Elliott Smith cover as well.

"I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid"

Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  18:13:58  Show Profile
I'm not a fan of The Space Twins or The Special Goodness though, admittedly, I haven't heard a lot from either. Return of the Rentals is great while the follow up was pretty weak. I don't think there has been any official breakup news for The Rentals but they haven't done anything for a while. I hear Sharp is a drunken lazy, mess.

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  18:56:07  Show Profile
I didn't care much for The Rentals second album "Return of the Rentals" or a long time after it's release, but in the last year I've realized it's actually quite a brilliant album. It is extremely different from the first Rentals album, and at first seems lacking, and I don't think it's as consistently good from song to song as the first. However, there's a number of great songs on it. Getting By, Hello, She Says It's Alright, Keep Sleeping, My Head is in the Sun, Overlee, Barcelona, those are all fabulous songs.
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  18:56:40  Show Profile
FOR a long time after it's release. How do you edit posts?
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  19:05:40  Show Profile
The Return of the Rentals is actually their first release. Seven More Minutes was their 2nd.

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  19:15:30  Show Profile
Oh yeah, I meant "Seven more minutes". I don't know why I said "Return of the Rentals." I was talking about the second album, "Seven More Minutes."
Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  06:20:40  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage
Yeah Cheeseman I loved Acrophobe as well, it sucks though because a friend who also owes me $350 has my copy of that and my copy of De Stijl by the White Stripes. I picked up the follow up called Houston We Have A Drinking Problem but haven't got into it yet, Joey Cape rules.

-Johnny Thunders
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  07:48:32  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
So what do Acrophobe sound like? Or Bad Astronaut? I am in the ignorant dark, but willing and eager to learn.
Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  07:52:03  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage
It's hard to describe, not enough coffee yet methinks. It would be easy to say they sound kind of like Lagwagon being as they have the same singer, but they don't really sound like them at all. They sound like a mellowed out punk band with lots of extra instrumentation and some electronic elements, some acoustic based stuff too. This CD has John Popper playing harmonica on one track, surprised me to see that. There's like seven guys in the band on this album.

-Johnny Thunders
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  08:00:07  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Um, I hope it doesn't sound anything like John Popper's old band. That would be a deal-breaker for me. I don't even know who Lagwagon is. :( This may be a lost cause! ;)
Go to Top of Page

WolfManMikeLonely
= Cult of Ray =

USA
936 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  08:01:10  Show Profile  Visit WolfManMikeLonely's Homepage
No, it doesn't sound like anything John Popper does. Check out their cover of Elliott Smiths "Needle in the Hay" or a couple of the tracks off Acrophobe especially the first two or three songs.

-Johnny Thunders
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  08:06:25  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Okey dokie! I'll see what I can dig up....
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  19:53:46  Show Profile
I love the Rentals. Both their albums are quality albums.

I have a copy of a Special Goodness album and I don't listen to it. It's kind of lame. But Pat may have improved cuz I think this album is a few years old.

"Join the Cult of Mr. Potato Head / And You'll Have Buckets of Fun"
Go to Top of Page

BPrend
- FB Fan -

92 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2003 :  14:41:50  Show Profile
i like both of the rentals albums, and the space twins album is fantastic as well. i don't really care for the special goodness, but i've listened to land air sea more than i've listened to maladroit if that says anything.
Go to Top of Page

Malax
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1340 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2003 :  16:58:26  Show Profile
Didn't matt sharp recently release an album of just him and an acoustic guitar? Its supposed to be awful.
Go to Top of Page

BPrend
- FB Fan -

92 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2003 :  21:08:48  Show Profile
he's released an ep so far. the album is supposed to come out soon. i personally like the ep a lot; his voice takes some getting used to, though.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  00:25:18  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
yeah, matt sharp is in a league of his own. There are still some rumours that he co-wrote everything on Pinkerton. And I believe it.

Return of the Rentals was great, Seven more Minutes a bit too poppy and multitracked.
His new work is more back to basic and that's fine.

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  03:34:07  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
Bad Astronaut = prog-punk.
Actually, thats a bit harsh, but you get the idea. If you're not familiar with Lagwagon then its less easy to explain, but basically its based on the SoCal pop-punk sound, just with a whole load more inventiveness and willingness to push the boundaries a bit. Space-punk perhaps. The last track is also very good.

Check these:
Needle In The Hay
Greg's Estate
Quiet (don't hear this first)
The last song and some of the others that I can't remember the names of.

Sorry, that probably wasn't much help was it.

"I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid"

Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  04:21:55  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
I actually prefer The Special Goodness. Personally...I find Pat to be a better guitarist than Rivers...hahah..and he's the drummer for Weezer...how sad...Anyone seen "Prarie Metal" at the www.weezer.com audio/video page? hahaha...it's great.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000