* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  01:23:20  Show Profile
are boring and bland.

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  01:28:00  Show Profile
Why did I feel it was necessary to create an entirely new thread for such a brief statement? I'm not sure. I just felt like stating my opinion on their music. They've never struck me as anything special, and it's especially annoying that they are considered to be such an outstanding band. I don't care for Jack White's voice. I've never listened to The Strokes much, but I just heard their new song 12:51 and I think that even though they were overhyped a few years ago, they are much closer to being music I can enjoy than the White Stripes are.
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  01:41:55  Show Profile
Ever seen them live?

i did on Easter 2001 in D.C.

good show.

No fb, but good show. Great show.

I have a review somewhere on my commodore 64...

-----------------------
ain't it funny how the "don't fuck with me!" nooch
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  01:44:03  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
I think the white stripes are ok,
overhyped
but isn't every band that's hyped immediately overhyped?

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  03:18:08  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
You speak the truth bill. They are a good live band, for sure, but the music really isn't as revolutionary as everybody makes out: its blues, basically.

"I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid"

Go to Top of Page

jbstevens
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  05:16:23  Show Profile  Click to see jbstevens's MSN Messenger address
Has anyone heard anything by the Black Keys?

I was just reminded of them as I remember the singer was quoted in a review as saying something like "Jack White didn't invent the blues"

The review was very good, but I haven't heard any of their stuff yet. Anyone recommend it?

"Yellow fifty-two / He's an undertaker bee"
Go to Top of Page

Dallas
= Cult of Ray =

USA
725 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  06:18:56  Show Profile
I'm a big White Stripes fan. Never heard them claim to have invented blues though. They pay homage to the blues.

I'm down with Jack White, tons of talent IMHO.
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  07:26:28  Show Profile
I agree, solid band but the fact that mainstream publications such as rolling stone proclaim them to be brilliant is more a reflection of the music made nowadays (that gets a lot of commercial exposure). I had the this empiphany with my friend actually..."you know..the White Stripes aren't really that great are they?"
Go to Top of Page

rockathon
- FB Fan -

241 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  07:33:00  Show Profile
I prefer to define myself with what I like, not with what I don't like
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  08:15:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jbstevens
Anyone recommend it?

I like 'em. Nothing totally new, in the sense of complete innovation, but they do offer a fresh contemporary take on the blues as well as bluesy rock. I like the raw, spare production. My favorite disc is still their second, De Stijl, despite all the hype about the third and fourth discs. Those two are fine, and almost as good as De Stijl, while the first disc is a bit weaker. Because they do offer something different from just about all the other popular bands of the day, I think almost any pop/rock fans could use De Stijl, with a possible exception being those listeners who for some reason don't like the vocals, not that they're particularly idiosyncratic or anything. For me the vocals are great, as is the directness of the guitar. The guy can riff.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  10:41:52  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I love the White Stripes. It's hard to find a really good rockin band these days, especially one with such an early sound. I'm partial to the bluesy rock sound, so of course I'd love them. I have yet to see them live, but I'd imagine it'll rock hard. I never considered their sound "original" nor have I ever considered them "hyped." I consider them fantastic.

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  10:51:09  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
the white stripes are a good band,nothing groundbreaking but they have some cool songs.they are hyped by the press but it's not their fault,they were around for a while before being involved in the "new wave of garage" and they keep making good records after becoming famous.unlike the strokes they care more about music and less about style and they make great videos too.what else do you want from a band?

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
www.munchienandalusia.too.it
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  11:05:23  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
I like em (and their music) a lot. Their albums are a little hit and miss, IMHO, in that I think they should be a little more picky about what songs get put on them. Their attitude towards what they do and towards the music industry and fame is extremely admirable. They're real, good people.

"I can't stand all this sex on the television. I mean, I keep falling off!"
"I partied with the Cult of Frank / Bob ate all the dip"
Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  16:24:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TarTar

are boring and bland.

I'm also in the camp that likes 'em. They are overhyped, but they are good. Meg's drumming gets boring after a while, but Jack's whiteboy anglo-blueswailiin' reminds me of early Eric Burdon -- and to me that's a good thing. Glad to see somebody picking up on that and running with it. The songs pass the test of stripped-down ness -- you don't need good production yet they shine through.

I could do without the red and white schtick, and really, now that they've got the ability, Meg should work on her drumming skills. Bash bash bash on the cymbols gets old after a while.

Now the strokes -- there's a band that doesn't live up to their hype. Maybe this new album, but I heard "Is This It" and like many, that was exactly my question. Maybe its just that there's a shitload of great garage bands here in the midwest (Milwaukee especially) that I think blow the Strokes away and I suspect the NYC connections is why they're on the cover of SPIN and the Lovelies aren't.

"Sacred cows make the best burgers!"
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  16:33:17  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
Mun chien, I've just noticed your signature: Genius.

"I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid"

Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  19:02:43  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
I love the Stripes..great rockin' tunes, a rather positive band, something good for the world, imo. =)
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  19:51:28  Show Profile
I hate Rolling Stone, I hate how pretentious they are and how they touted the White Stripes, The Vines, and the Hives as the "saviors" of rock music. Yes, I do like the White Stripes, and I have to admit that I haven't heard much of anything by the other two, but to say that they just came along and saved it is to deny even the existence of less mainstream bands that have played perfectly good music the whole time, just haven't gotten the mainstream play. This, however, is not the fault of the bands, just R.S. for being a shitty-ass magazine.
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  00:32:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cheeseman1000

its blues, basically.

it's led zeppelin, basically.

White Blood Cells was the first one I bought, but De Stijl turned out to be the one I liked best. Haven't heard the first or the new one in total. I like some of what they've done but I don't consider myself a big fan.

One thing I don't get though: it used to be that the sound on the records was pretty much just the duo, straight up. there may have been overdubs, but they stayed in the background...and there was never any bass at all, to my recollection. Now, I've only heard the hits off Elephant, but both of those songs are built around bass riffs. Not just a bass added as coloration, but that there is empty space where the bass carries both the riff and melody. And, my understanding is that they have never added any extra musicians, and they certainly don't seem like the types to go for backing tracks. Given that they now regularly headline huge, 50,000 person festivals, I just don't get how they put their songs across live, to audiences who are probably not terribly forgiving or sophisticated when it comes to reinterpretation of songs they only know from the radio.

"the Cult of Eric: / where a man feels like a king / and a king feels like some kinda crazy super king"[/i]

Edited by - anazgnos on 11/05/2003 00:52:59
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  00:51:54  Show Profile
I never really have liked the blues much, so that might explain my lack of interest in the White Stripes.
Go to Top of Page

rockathon
- FB Fan -

241 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  05:55:49  Show Profile
they're a lightening rod for strong opinions about a trivial matter: other people's taste in music. I personally think they rock with balls of steel. (and split infinitives are ok these days you grammar cops!) (but fair game on my spelling habituals)
Go to Top of Page

Jayhawk
- FB Fan -

80 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  11:24:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rockathon

I personally think they rock with balls of steel.

Ditto. Meg's chest is lovely.
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  11:29:11  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by anazgnos

quote:
Originally posted by Cheeseman1000

its blues, basically.

it's led zeppelin, basically.

White Blood Cells was the first one I bought, but De Stijl turned out to be the one I liked best. Haven't heard the first or the new one in total. I like some of what they've done but I don't consider myself a big fan.

One thing I don't get though: it used to be that the sound on the records was pretty much just the duo, straight up. there may have been overdubs, but they stayed in the background...and there was never any bass at all, to my recollection. Now, I've only heard the hits off Elephant, but both of those songs are built around bass riffs. Not just a bass added as coloration, but that there is empty space where the bass carries both the riff and melody. And, my understanding is that they have never added any extra musicians, and they certainly don't seem like the types to go for backing tracks. Given that they now regularly headline huge, 50,000 person festivals, I just don't get how they put their songs across live, to audiences who are probably not terribly forgiving or sophisticated when it comes to reinterpretation of songs they only know from the radio.

"the Cult of Eric: / where a man feels like a king / and a king feels like some kinda crazy super king"[/i]

Hey, he uses what is called an Octaver. It takes the sound of the notes and adds the appropriate low frequency notes to the sound. It then can be either mixed with the guitar or the original guitar can be dialed out just for the bass notes. It is a foot pedal or stomp box.

He used that on the song and live so it still just is the two. No backing tracks.

Did someone say titties?
Go to Top of Page

rockathon
- FB Fan -

241 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  11:47:45  Show Profile
Meg is hot
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  11:53:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Little Black Francis

-----------------------

You've got a C64 up and running? Man, that was my first computer and a great a one. Ready for BASIC programming right out of the box. I owe my current career to that machine.

Or, are you just teasing us?
Go to Top of Page

rockathon
- FB Fan -

241 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  12:00:07  Show Profile
and by us, he means him
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  12:03:02  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

quote:
Originally posted by Little Black Francis

-----------------------

You've got a C64 up and running? Man, that was my first computer and a great a one. Ready for BASIC programming right out of the box. I owe my current career to that machine.

Or, are you just teasing us?

You'd appreciate one of the bands I was in was named comma8 comma1
( ,8,1 )
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  14:03:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rockathon

and by us, he means him

Except that I'm not egocentric enough to suggest that his C64 comment would be directed specifically at me (someone he doesn't even know).
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  19:40:34  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
re: two musicians sounding like three, i'm guessing he prolly also runs his guitar through something like a Boomerang or Phrase Recorder (what i've got), which can loop stuff for you on the fly.

Seven Nation Army (a Noisies rip-off by the way!) would be easy to play with one of these devices, and the Octaver, as Jason pointed out.

I loved playing Secret of the Silver Blades on the C64..now THAT'S a game. Good 'ole days of hacking..we'd copy our save disk, then import chars from the copy, and double our money and items..hehehe..
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  19:41:36  Show Profile
gosh, settle down. I do have a C64, but my review is actually on my dell.

Don't be mad.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

MangyKid
- FB Fan -

170 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  20:25:24  Show Profile
Aren't they making new c64s? I've been hearing this for a while, and there was something official said not that long ago I think.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000