New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  08:30:04  Show Profile
I'm new to the Bonnie/Will Oldham/Palace thing. All I have heard is "I See A Darkness". I love and respect this album to no end. Which album should I buy next?

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  09:09:24  Show Profile
I just got into Oldham this summer myself. I have "I See A Darkness" "Master and Everyone" and "Joya." I like all three of these very much. Oldham actually came up in The King Holds Court a few weeks ago. I asked the same question, Check it out:
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3015&whichpage=10

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  09:23:49  Show Profile
Thanks. Sounds like I couldn't go wrong with any of his albums. I think though I want to start with his more recent and work my way back. Which would you recommend between Master and Ease?
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  09:39:38  Show Profile
Haven't yet heard Ease. Meant to get it a couple of weeks ago but didn't and now I'm poor. Master is damn good though so I don't feel like I'm leading you astray by telling yo to get that one.

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  10:28:20  Show Profile
If you enjoy Mr. Oldham that much, you should probably get Palace "Viva Last Blues". It is very highly regarded, especially by Bonnie Prince Billy followers.
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
383 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  09:48:31  Show Profile
As good as Oldham is in general, "I See A Darkness" is SO, SO good, that I wouldn't go into the rest of his discography expecting anything quite so masterful. I really like "Arise, Therefore", and the "Hope" ep. And there's a best of/greatest hits album that's supposed to come out soon with the whole set having been rerecorded with top nashville producers and session men (not joking) Master and Everyone is really good but just never crawled it's way to the top of the heap for me.

"the Cult of Eric: / where a man feels like a king / and a king feels like some kinda crazy super king"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000