Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Topic!
 Suggestion Box / Website Discussion
 New =Title= up for grabs - FB Quote-master!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  01:57:48  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ramona
Well, we had an email discussion about it but it was never clarified. It seems to me that you (IceCream), munchein, and Holiday Son (although he hasn't posted much lately but did a lot in the beginning) were the ones who contributed the most. But what would you like to be called? Team Quote? Quote-meisters? Suggestions, please.

"You can call me Anytime !"
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  17:00:43  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by ramona

quote:
Originally posted by IceCream

By the way did Ramona ever "save [Dave] time" and "send [him] a note with the folks that should be on the quote team?' =)"? And, if so, what was the response? I'd find it hard to believe if munchienandalusia didn't qualify...

Well, we had an email discussion about it but it was never clarified. It seems to me that you (IceCream), munchein, and Holiday Son (although he hasn't posted much lately but did a lot in the beginning) were the ones who contributed the most. But what would you like to be called? Team Quote? Quote-meisters? Suggestions, please.

In a world full of caterpillars, it takes balls to be a butterfly

how about a personalized tittle instead of a unique-group one?it's easier if anyone chooses his own, not to mention tht i like it better too.hehe.

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
www.superabound.altervista.org
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  17:20:27  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
Thank you for posting, munchien, but frankly I don't think we're worthy of our own individual titles. That's a good point, though.
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  17:44:20  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by IceCream

Thank you for posting, munchien, but frankly I don't think we're worthy of our own individual titles. That's a good point, though.

of course we are worthy.and after all it's free.

Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  19:23:38  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Well, you guys definetly posted the most quotes - so having your own titles is fine with me (whatever that is worth). What titles are your hearts desire?
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  20:23:49  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
I was hoping to see some cohesiveness here...i'd love to see some mini-teams helping with things (much like how TFC is helping Gavin with the Gigo..) and being tied-in with titles is a good show of this. But it's up to the Quote Mistess. =)
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  03:06:22  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage
If it's a team name, what about: Ramona's little helpers ?
Otherwise, Team quote is fine by me.
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  06:10:44  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
a team name then.how about classic quote-corders?but i kind of like quote-meisters too.

Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  07:30:56  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
It seems to me like "Team Quote" or "Quote Accumulator" would make the most sense. If you three each had the title of Quote Accumulator it is almost like an individual title, yet you are part of a team. Know what I mean? Anyway, there seems to be an awful lot of discussion about this - we should vote or something.

In other (possibly more exciting) news - I just added more quotes to the randomizer thingy and we are up to 40 now. Yee haw! I wish we could add quotes to the forum - I love them!

Perhaps I will make one my signature...

Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  15:51:15  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
voting's fine with me.quote accumulator sounds great too.ramona it's on you to choose 3 tittles to vote off!

Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  16:03:44  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
Yeah, we could vote. Just to clarify: the choices are Team Quote, Quote Meister, Classic Quote Corder, Quote Accumulator, and Ramona's Little Helper, right? And what things start and end the title? Equals sign? I like the equals sign.
=====================================

Edited by - IceCream on 01/12/2004 16:41:06
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  17:03:10  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
*retry*

"I got really drunk at [the White Stripes] gig and bought everything at their T-shirts stand in a drunken stupor"

i guess it kind of makes more sense now?

Ai ai ai ai / Hey Sandy!
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  17:27:46  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Well, what is the actual quote?? I don't just want something that "makse sense" if that is not what he actually said.

As for team names - I like Team Quote, Quote Accumulator, or Quote Meister.

Oh, and I think the team name would be in "Quotes" just to follow what Dave already started but if you all prefer equal's === that is fine with me. Oy - too many choices!
"I don't think The Pixies will ever play together again as a band. A reunion gig? It doesn't seem right or something. It seems wrong...it just doesn't seem like the thing to do." Frank Black, 2002

Edited by - ramona on 01/12/2004 17:29:49
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  17:44:33  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
Here's a thought: Maybe we could all have the same title, but with different symbols. That way, everyone gets something they like in their title, even if the title they voted for did not win.

Emily, I completely understand your point. Sure, quotes are far more practical and obvious. However, in my own personal opinion, equals are more pleasant aesthetically.

Dave, your input? May I please not be confined and restricted to one possibility concerning the title-surrounding characters? If you would prefer against my request, I completely respect and understand.
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  18:54:59  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
I seriously don't care. If you want equals = that is fine with me.

"I don't think The Pixies will ever play together again as a band. A reunion gig? It doesn't seem right or something. It seems wrong...it just doesn't seem like the thing to do." Frank Black, 2002
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  19:16:08  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
let's just decide between these 3:

Team Quote
Quote Accumulator
Quote Meister

i'd propose to start a survivor game .i vote team quote off.(equals can be discussed later)

Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  19:19:59  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
Yeah, I vote team quote off too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  19:55:14  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
This is hilarious!! Someone make a freakin' decision!
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  20:42:34  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
Well, I don't really know what to say now...

Edited by - IceCream on 01/13/2004 04:12:41
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  06:25:36  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Just to answer the question (since I think Dave overlooked it) regarding title surrounding characters, they all have different meanings, so probably you won't be able to choose yours...

I personally like Quote Accumulator best.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  07:19:13  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

This is hilarious!! Someone make a freakin' decision!

WORD.

I'm exhausted.

Can we just say Quote Accumulator and be done? I feel like we are writing the end of the bible or something. Oy.

Edited by - ramona on 01/13/2004 07:21:55
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  07:22:52  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
PS. The page is all long again. How come that happens? It's odd.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  11:55:11  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Page fixed, it was all those equal signs..heh

Okay, we're going with QA.

Now, who deserve these? =)
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  12:43:57  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
According to Emily's post on 01/01/2004 : 08:01:07, the three people that 'deserve' the title are MunChienAndalusia, IceCream, and The Holiday Son. Can I continue posting quotes in this thread, or do you want me to go elsewhere? And thank you for answering, Dean; I actually would never have guessed that the characters have different meanings, but I connsumately respect it. Glad we're going with QA.
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  13:01:39  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
At this point I don't remember what I intially said but I think IceCream, Holiday Son and munchein are worthy. And I am guessing we could add other people later if they help out, right?

As for continuing to post quotes in this thread, that is fine with me. I have just been copying and pasting them to a Word document whenever new ones appear. How many can I add to the randomizer, Dave? Infinity? Should there be another way to display/organize them? I have also started another document where they are sorted by SUBJECT, cause I am a nerd.

Alright, accumulators - do your worst.

Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  22:52:40  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
To answer a previous question - yes, i could add the quotes to the Forum, i'll think about that..

Those lucky three peeps now have their own team titles, congrats! =)

No limit to the randomizer..tho if it starts getting really big i should pop it in the SQL..heh.. It would be much the same in the SQL, so keep doing what you're doing..no worries.

Kick ass guys, nice to see something take off and have a life of its own!
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  08:50:40  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
thanks guys.to celebrate my new tittle here are some quotes from a french interview(thanks to Aude for the translation form french to italian):

about music on internet 1:

There's much controversy on Mp3's and piracy but in general it's a positive thing.I'm not worried about losing money with this kind of stuff,from people that put my music on line.It's not a problem

about music on internet 2:

Leave this guy keep the song on his site.What's the problem?I told them (his management)that i don't care.it's just a song.No big deal.

About no more alien related lyrics:

"They" told me to stop gathering all that attention on them .I don't know if they are aliens or the goverment,but i had to stop for my own good.

Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  09:20:59  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Thanks, mun chein. You rock.

One question - is this supposed to be 'LET this guy'? (I think so, just want to make sure) --> "Leave this guy keep the song on his site. What's the problem? I told them (his management)that i don't care. it's just a song. No big deal."

Lemme know what you think. Thank ya.

Edited by - ramona on 01/14/2004 09:21:56
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  09:43:49  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
yep that's the meaning.i guess i was lost in translation it's not easy for a greek and a french translate an article from french to italian and then in english,hahaha.one of these days i'll try to translate something from german too,it will be even worse...

ps:feel free to adjust any bad english in my translations.

Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  17:34:27  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
here are another two:

about the reissue of the purple tapes:

i don't have any emotional feelings about it... it's just sort of like, "Yeah, some songs I wrote and they have eventually seen the light of day."

about attitude towards your own music:

I've written--what?--250 songs. You can't get all choked up about every single damn one of them; I'd be a mess, I wouldn't be able to function. So you have to have a little bit of an aloof attitude about your own music. It isn't because you're detached; it's just that at the end of the day it's just rock-and-roll songs. You can't make a mountain out of a molehill.

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  03:58:38  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
I posted these in the pixies forum bit, but thought i'd repost them here seeing as they're quite appropriate.
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4814

all the following quotes are taken from the article "Takling with the Animals" published in New Musical Express, 22nd April 1989, pages 44, 45 & 49

when i remember to bring the article into work, i'll add anything else thats interesting.

Debaser:
There’s a cord progression, that’s the first thing. Then a word or a phrase at the most. Then a topic evolves around that. I thought of Un Chien Andalou and I thought an arty French movie was an equally dumb thing to write a song about.
Debaser fitted well because at the time of the movie the Parisiens were ripping up their seats in the theatres because of another film and the point of Un Chien Andalou was to debase morality. To debase standards of art. The classic film school shot is the razor slicing across the eyeball. Eyes are the main way people communicate; you can hold unspoken conversations. I guess that it’s the most important part of your body unless you’re talking to a blind person.

Tame:
I don’t want to sound like a male chauvinist, but I have a male perspective, because I am male. ‘Tame’ is about women more than men. But the way some men treat their hair it’s incredible and I can[‘t] understand all that deodorant and stuff. I’ve never related to it. My family’s rather spartan.
It’s about putting all that time into sexual presentation. I don’t mean it in a dirty kind of way. Where I live in the city, women spend time presenting themselves and still come out forever bland and mediocre.

I Bleed:
In the first two verses there’s no topic whatsoever; all this is just a rhyme structured AABCBDD. It’s all very automatic. The rest is about Arizona. There’s a very famous cliff dwelling there, with two or three storey houses about a mile up inside these cliffs. It’s about 900 years old and you can still see the handprints from the people who pressed the plaster onto the walls. And you can take your hand and place it in the print and it’s very wooh.

Wave of Mutilation:
Mostly I try to stick with more physical imagery just because it’s more tangible mentally than he or she or it, like ‘Little Red Corvette.”
The first line is a joke on The Beach Boys and Charles Manson. They hung out together and all that. And he wrote this song called ‘Cease To Exist.’ And supposedly The Beach Boys used a lot of his lyrics and gave him a sports car or something. And they had this boys loved girl song where they went ‘cease to resist’ and changed his lyrics around. They couldn’t have ‘cease to exist’ because it was all powerful suicide stuff! He’s just some glorified charismatic figure like Hitler. But he does say some interesting things, he’s a result of something but I don’t know what.

Here Comes Your Man:
This is a pre-Pixies song that I wrote when I was about 15. It’s about wino’s and hobos travelling on the trains who dies in the California Earthquake. Before earthquakes everything gets very calm, animals stop talking and birds stop chirping and there’s no wind. It’s very ominous.
I’ve been through a few earthquakes actually ‘cos I grew up in California. I was only in one big one in 1971. I was very young and I slept through it. I’ve been awake through lots of small ones at school and at home. It’s very exciting actually, a very comical thing. It’s like the earth is shaking, and what can you do? Nothing.

Dead:
This is the story of David and Bathsheba of the Old Testament. King David was on his rooftop one nighttime watching a woman bathing in the nude and he was aroused, I guess. Anyway he sent some men after her and I don’t know whether it was rape or a seduction, but she became pregnant. So David arrange for Uriah, her husband, who was a soldier in his army, to be sent to the battle on a suicide mission. So ‘Dead’ is a metaphor for sex reduced to the most basic; ugly, bad lust with equally bad results.

Monkey Gone To Heaven:
‘This monkey’s gone to heaven’ is not connected to the rest of the song at all, it was the working lyric and we couldn’t come up with anything better.
I’m not really trying to address any issue: the sky and the ocean are both very ancient, spiritual and mythological places. And I’m just trying to talk about them in surreal kinds of ways: there’s a hole in the ozone layer scientifically, but the unreal side is that there’s a hole in the sky and the sky means alot of things and has alot of implications to lots of people in different cultures in past, present and future, right? Like the man dying from the sludge in the water in New Jersey, is just me getting mythological again. It’s Neptune I picture dying from the pollution.

Mr Grieves:
It’s about the end of the world I guess. Mr Grieves is the Death character of mythology. The ‘man in the middle’ is Dr Doolittle, because if you could speak to the animals you would be the great link between mankind and the animal world. There’s this theory that if not smarter than us, animals are aware of what’s going on and if we could communicate with them, they could give us the answer of the future and make everything ok. But I’m assuming that a nuclear winter will mean that Mr Grieves is going to win in the end.

Crackity Jones:
Joses Jones is a roommate I had in Puerto Rico. I lived in this men’s dorm that was half homosexual and I had this really crazy drug addict psycho weirdo guy to share with and this is all about him.
I would be speaking to him in Spanish so everything would be a little vague to me and he kept talking on and on about Paco Picopiedra and La Muneca. I couldn’t work out what he was talking about and it was Fred Flinstone!

La La Love You:
There is no love in here. Not a drop. I’ve never written a love song. It’s just like an abstract sort of joke; ‘la la love you don’t mean maybe’. It’s just mimicking a really bad 1950’s song or maybe I should say 1980’s. ‘First base, second base, third base, home run’ is a very Shakespearian crass joke in America, a crude joke for full copulation. I’m just being as minimalist as I can, but it conjures up lots of images – well one image I should say.

Number 13 Baby:
This is a collage of images of when I was growing up in Los Angeles. Number 13 traditionally means bad luck, but in America, especially in the 60’s among bikers and chicanos, the number 13 is the thirteenth letter of the alphabet: M for marijuana.
It’s a really goofy sub culture, but it’s kinda funny, and even today you can see it spray-painted on walls ‘The Meter Boys Number 13’. So it is about a Mexican girl or a Samoan girl, a boyish, sexual, adolescent collage of Southern California living.

There Goes My Gun:
There’s nothing to this apart from that one line. It’s the hook right? It’s the chorus. I could have written a verse but it sounded cool without the lyrics so it’s much more effective and theatrical. These are just popular phrases I would associate with having a gun, ‘Looka me’ because it’s a position of power. I don’t own a gun, I’m afraid of them.
People keep asking me is this some sort of phallic symbol, you know ‘There goes my gun’, an orgasm. I mean I suppose that could be true but I get the impression that in the literary world anything that is taller than it is wide is a phallic, you know what I mean? I’m just talking about guns I guess. I just want to make a cool rock ‘n’ roll song.

Hey:
It’s a relationship song about two classic sad figures. Myself or maybe not myself. Uh is the sound of sex and also of childbirth. I dunno I’m just sorta sad about about how sex goes the wrong way in a very basic sort of way and how it results in very amazing things like childbirth and stuff.

Silver:
This is a song me and Kim wrote really fast one night sitting around bored in the studio waiting for whatever to happen with the engineers. There were other lyrics that were supposed to have been written for the actual song but all we’d got left were the original phrases that we came up with so that was that.

Gouge Away:
Yeah, you’ve got it in one. It’s a story about Sampson and Delilah, you’re the first person that’s actually realised - probably because the song doesn’t actually mention Sampson or Delilah. It’s a sort of sex story: Delilah shows up as a secret spy of the Philistines and has an affair with Sampson. I don’t know what he was getting out of it. But enough sex and drugs and relaxation to give up his secrets. Maybe he loved her, I dunno. But they gouged his eyes out in the end.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
cook me some fucking eggs!
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  08:32:42  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Thanks, benji. Those are great.

"Music does not drag me down. Music lifts me up." - Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  09:37:35  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Wow..we need to get something like this for FB tunes...
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  10:30:12  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Well, there are some. Some of which I rotated in already - but some are sooo long. I mean, it seems extensive to put an entire paragraph in the quote randomizer thing - which is why it would be cool to have another way to display these.

"Music does not drag me down. Music lifts me up." - Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  15:34:01  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Well, once the SongDB is up, we can insert stuff there, eh Jim?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000