Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Topic!
 Suggestion Box / Website Discussion
 New =Title= up for grabs - FB Quote-master!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  07:07:31  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
A few more Pixies quotes....

taken from the article "Talking with the Animals" published in New Musical Express, 22nd April 1989, pages 44, 45 & 49

On Lyrics:
“No, I don’t even write a Pixies song in a notebook unless someone else has to read them. I don’t read books, keep a diary, write letters of postcards. I watch TV or go to the movies.”
Why not instrumental then?
“I want to make cool rock songs, and one of the main components of the cool rock and roll album is the lyrics. I’m not saying there’s no inspiration, I’m just saying that I’m no literary giant or anything like that. Hopefully I will be in 10 years time if we get that big and people want to talk about it that much.”
“Or if you die,” notes Joey.
“Oh, if I die it’s guaranteed.”
Likely to die soon?
“Oh no, certainly not. I’m going to be very, very old when I die. Ideally, I’d like to be taken away in a space ship like in ‘Cocoon.’ I hope I never die. I just want to carry on making music in Dave’s dad’s garage. He’s a signwriter and his workshops is where the magic happens.”

“I’m sorry I’m late, I’ve been darning my underwear.”

“I think we’re a very dynamic band. Not in the traditional sense of the word. We’re loud and we’re soft, we’re up and we’re down, we have a lot of space in our music. It’s not very sophisticated music, it’s very direct and straightforward.”

taken from the article "Laughing Gnomes" published in New Musical Express, 8th October 1988, Page 19

On Steve Albini:
“It’s like recording a recor,” Charles says logically, “he’s just some dude, an engineer, a nice guy. He puts a little treble on, a little volume, a little this, a little of everything, that’s it really.”

On Come on Pilgrim:
“They’re just a bunch of stories from Sunday School. Bible stories are great! Everything you want: sex, violence, it’s all there. Brutal too. The hardcore stuff, whoooo, that stuff’d make spicy movies.”

“In presenting my ideas in song, I come up with words and leave out all the others. Ha ha hahahaha! No one’s gunna understand them, they’re vague, they’re personal. I guess it isn’t the mark of a great song or anything, ‘cos a great song someone’ll go, ‘Oh, yeah! I understand!’ I’m not very good at writing words.”

cook me some fucking eggs!
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  03:52:32  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage
I was going to post this today before I knew about the news.

In the the Irish times, SMYT era :

About you-know-what :

"I have resisted it for 10 years. It's easy to resist. I dont crave that particular adulation. I got people who adore me now. I have had that glory - I dont need to revisit it. I mean it would be good to be back with the band again... but it doesn't seem like the thing to do for me at this point. If I had to do it for financial reasons I would. We're more famous now than weve ever been. It kind of feels like we shouldn't touch it. If it's not broke - don't fix it."

+ (same source)

- I would rather have a minor hit with the catholics that would satisfy me more obviously, because it would legitimise my lesser career as frank black.
- Does it really feel like a lesser career?
- In terms of numbers. And numbers are everything. Outside of the band. And outside of the uber fans. For people who are going to write about you, for radio stations, for promoters and agents... all those people I deal with. They work on the business side of it - I work on the art side.

---
Goblin Magazine, COR era :

"...dim the lights a little in the evening so we can look at the sky.
Artificial light isn't a bad thing but it's used too much
and it drives people to work when they should be relaxing."
Go to Top of Page

GypsyDeath
Zapped Profile

3575 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  17:30:11  Show Profile  Visit GypsyDeath's Homepage
I knew this thread is like, so beyond sorta dea and stuff. But I REALLY want a title!!!!
Esp before i reach 500, because i dont wanna be teenager of the year...for obvious reasons.

Please dave, please! I told you i loved you! haha.

Boys go to Jupiter,Become more stupider,
Girls go to Mars, Become rock stars
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  20:47:02  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
There is an opportunity around the corner...someone close to you can even help you with it..heh..

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  21:53:14  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
By the way, more quotes from me are coming soon. I accessed some excellent interviews from which I will transcribe several qoutes. Just wanted to let you know that I have not forgotten my duties.

Tim, the only one who laughs
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  06:46:22  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
here are some quotes from an interview with mondo2000 orange album era.curious how excited fb is with computers in music and some interesting quotes about the pixies:

1 about the increasing popularity of alternative music

It might be blowing a little hot air into the scene,but as far as I'm concerned, most scenes are a bunch of hot air anyway.The only thing that really matters is quality.Between alternative and corporate there's a very thin line

2 about What happened to the Pixies

What happened? They broke up. What led to the breakup? My boredom[laughs]...It's like always making cowboy movies. After a while you might want to get into a detective movie or a comedy. It's like, "Not another cowboy movie, come on!"

3 about his best Pixies songs or albums

Well, i thought that "Bossanova" was probably the best record.I don't really listen to them, though. Once you make 'em, man, you've heard them from every possible angle.I've heard them more than the most ardent fan will ever hear them.I don't have a lot of nostalgia for them, not just yet.
If someone wants to hear me wax nostalgic about my records, talk to me in ten years

4 about "I Heard Ramona Sing"

it would have been difficult to do a Ramones song and do it justice.The Ramones deserve to have a song written about them and lo and behold

5 about the sound of the new album

the music wasn't rehearsed in a rehearsal space with musicians, but in cyberspace,on a Macintosh computer.

6 about the way the computer affected his work

It was a little scary at first, kind of like Kraftwerk or something, but I got over it.It was just a map, just a guide to where we would eventually end up.I thought it was a wonderful way to work. I'll probably work that way again.I mean, it's nice to get four musicians together in a room and jam and rock out,but there's something about using computers that gives you a chance to ponder a bit.Not necessarily over-fiddling or crawling up your own ass and taking forever ... It was just good to be less emotional, be more cold. It was just nice working with computers. I loved it.

7 about computers impacting the evolution of pop music

Well, the perfect example is the metronome-totally part of pop culture.From little kids to old ladies, people are really [knocks on the table] used to hearing things knocking out precisely there on the beat.You start throwing off that time meter and you're in a different world. You're not in the world of radio or even TV advertising.

8 about MTV affecting songwriting

It's affected how much money is spent on the record, because record sleeves have sort of disappeared. You've got this *other* thing representing you--if they actually fucking broadcast the thing. And if they don't, it's money down the tubes. So, no--it doesn't affect my songwriting, it just makes me spend more money. But, I'm interested in videos. It's too bad that it really hasn't become the art it pretends to be.

9 about MTV's mass marketing of "alternative" culture

Well, if it sells the shit, more power to them. I don't care, I don't really watch MTV myself.There's nothing really worthwhile. It's *not* some karaoke star existing in cyberspace with a 2-dimensional
character creating Music Television. It's just guitar players like me lip syncing and prancing around, and not doing a very good job of it. If I'm going to watch video programming, I watch country music television.I don't relate to it as much, so it's kind of entertaining.

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
Go to Top of Page

GypsyDeath
Zapped Profile

3575 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  15:18:22  Show Profile  Visit GypsyDeath's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

There is an opportunity around the corner...someone close to you can even help you with it..heh..

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!

Hmmm., well, only person i can think of must be barto...but what are you talking about!?!

Im very very very very drunk, by the way, to excuse me self for any typos!

Boys go to Jupiter,Become more stupider,
Girls go to Mars, Become rock stars
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  13:17:26  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
ON BEING ALONE IN THE RECORDING STUDIO
‘Sometimes I’m by myself, but some of the studios I work at are haunted, and they’re really scary to be in late at night by yourself. I’m totally serious. And, you know, the assistants there always get you going; [they’re] like, “look out for the ghost of job!!! Uh-Oh! He died at the board in ‘75..” and, sure enough, all kinds of weird stuff.’
wfnx interview, 1996

ON HIS ABSTRACT LYRICS
‘Sometimes I just sit, and I think, and I think, and I think, and I think, and I create a whole story in my head maybe, and then I....when you have a big big story, you either have to write a big story, or shrink it all down, boil it down to a song...and sometimes that’s why the songs that I write sound a little bit confusing, or a little bit weird, or abstract — because I’m trying to boil down this big big long story down into a little song, and I haven’t found the right...you know, if I had the good chorus like “American Pie” or something, then, you know, I could probably get one of these stories in there.’
-Modern Rock Live Radio Interview

ON THE ONION
‘You know, I think people in this world are just too afraid of onion breath, and... People gotta get over that, and I think the world will be a better place.’
-Modern Rock Live Radio Interview

ON THE CULT OF RAY ALBUM
"That’s where it started to get simplified — we went down to 16 tracks. It wasn’t live, but it was more live with simpler performances involving fewer instruments. That’s where the idea of working within a simple parameter started to happen. Not necessarily a narrower parameter, just simpler."
-Exclaim!

ON CHANGING OF THE GUARDS
"I don't think the version was very good, at least not my singing. That was a song I was obsessed over for a while... Bob Dylan is such a great singer. When I had to learn this song, I tried to learn exactly how he was singing it and the melody is very, very complicated. It's not just la-la-la-la-la, there are very subtle changes here and there and it has a lot of words as well! I still don't have it memorized. The band is waiting for me still, because we like to play it live.We tried to cut it again for Pistolero, not more polished, just with better vocals actually, but it wasn't quite good enough. We're gonna try it again on our next session. I wanted to have sax on an album of mine for a long time and I finally met this singer/guitarist from L.A. and it turns out he plays saxophone too, so I'm gonna invite him to our next session and we might use him on that tune to give it the 70s Bruce Springsteen And The E-Street Band feel... I don't know. I have a lot of respect for musicians who do good cover versions, like Bryan Ferry, because I discovered how difficult it is, even if you have a really simple song. We attempt to learn a few cover songs for every album, but usually they don't make it."
-Luna Kafe interview

ON THE ARTWORK
‘At the end of the day, I'm in the business of publishing music, and artwork will always be secondary to that concern. Unless of course we have a smash hit, and then I assure you all that we will have a LOT of fun with the record graphics.’
-frank black.net

ON THE SATISFACTION OF LIVE-TO-TWO TRACK
"You know, even in sort of the rough and ready kind of music that I have been associated with, for the most part, there is still this drive for perfection, this drive to get everything perfect. And of course, with multi-tracking you do it to death. You do the bass over and over and over. You do the drums over and over. You end up splicing your vocals, literally choosing not between vocal takes, but between syllables for crying out loud!! It just goes nuts. To just walk in and play it like a real rock musician and have it be done and over with instantaneously, I mean, you can imagine how satisfying that would be for me and the other guys in the band."
-Flagpole magazine

ON BAD HARMONY
"'We're like bad harmony,' a really straight line like that, I would have never done that 10 years ago because I would have been too embarrassed. I would have been, 'Oh that's too hokey, it's too traditional or something, mainstream.' But now I'm definitely like a lot more tempted to see just how middle of the road can I be. What can I get away with and still satisfy my rock muse?"
-Flagpole Magazine

ON TOM WAITS HEARING FRANK'S THE BLACK RIDER
"No idea. He's a busy guy, I'm sure he's got other things to do than sit around with the new Frank Black record"
-Stylus Magazine

ON HIS ECCENTRICITY
"Sometimes it's difficult to take someone like me. I'm not the kind of musician whose records you play once and put away."
-Metroactive Music

ON SALES
"Everything's sell, sell, sell. I like capitalism, but when it comes to music ..."
-Metroactive Music

ON THE CULT OF RAY ALBUM
"You've got your geographic obsession, conspiratorial paranoia, genetic alterations, pop culture and my frustration with it, lonely youth, a song I hope everyone can relate to, an instrumental you can kick my teeth to, universal violence, monsters, another instrumental, the pit, Mr. Angelino himself, and last and perhaps most important of all, Shazeb Andleeb."
-Press kit for COR

ON WHY HE STOPPED SETLISTS
"I just get tired of looking around for pen and paper and having to sit around and figure out what your setlist is going to be...It’s annoying as anything. So forget it. We don’t do it anymore. I’m just tired of asking people for a sharpie...I buy sharpies, and then they disappear! Thery just go ‘cuz people are always borrowing sharpies from you to make their damn setlists! Opening bands: ‘have you got a sharpie?’ And you can’t really say ‘hey, welcome to show biz; no.’ You’re kinda like ‘Alright, here’s my sharpie.’”
-London Radio Interview, 2003

ON MY FAVORITE KISS
"I like that one; that's a good road song, actually...Sort of like, in one more minute, I'll never see you again, darling, see you later; that's sort of romantic? We played that in Dallas."
-London Radio Interview, 2003

Edited by - IceCream on 02/14/2004 14:47:03
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  14:18:46  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
IceCream, do you have any dates for some of those articles/quotes? Specifically, the ones about the songs? I'm using these for the FB song database. Thanks for your work.

"Join the Cult of Brit / And let your oral hygiene go out the window."
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  15:10:47  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
The one about "Changing of the Guards" is March 9, 2001.

The one about "Bad Harmony" comes from a magazine issued June 21, 2000.

The one about "My Favorite Kiss" is from July 8, 2003.

The ones from the Blogcritics Interview (on page 2 of this thread) is dated September 9, 2002.

The one about "Blast Off" (on page 2 of this thread) is dated October 4, 2001.

The one about "End of Miles" comes from September of 2003, but I don't know the exact date.

Metroactive Music magazine issued April 25, 1996.

I'll get back to you once I find out some more.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  16:53:53  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Kick ass, thanks!

"Join the Cult of Brit / And let your oral hygiene go out the window."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked