Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  13:37:57  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
I've played drums for the past 15 years.....any others out there seem to notice that this Scott's talent is under-rated? He seems to draw influences from many, many sources. I know that his drumming may seem very simple, but I tell you, it is inspired.

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  13:39:43  Show Profile
Hey fiddle faddle, you wanna move to Saskatoon and play drums for us? We could really use a solid skin man....
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  13:47:19  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage
You're right about Boutier; I hadn't really thought of him as all that spectacular until I saw the band live. Since then I've started noticing things he does in some songs that I realize are really important. One of my favourite things with drummers is when they have a sense of the power of subtlety, and the more I pay attention to his playing the more I feel like he gets it. I mean, he can tear it up too, but to me it's a sign of real skill to be able to hold back.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  13:48:56  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
I've never, ever played drums but am still amazed at how many tricks he has up his sleeve. "Announcement," anyone? The man is a beast.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / And all I got was this lousy icon"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  13:55:29  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

Hey fiddle faddle, you wanna move to Saskatoon and play drums for us? We could really use a solid skin man....

Yeah, no kidding. A drummer that understands that it's not always about being full of fills or the power of sparsitude, and the power of hitting the things really hard - but all when it's called for, at the right time. That would be nice.

Scotty has all of those things and more, but he declined when we asked him to leave Frank and join us. :) Yeah, Scott's awesome, no two ways about it. Watch him play Los Angeles. Hoo!

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  14:13:28  Show Profile
Wow, maybe this extremely positive post will make Harris want to come back and tell us who plays what on each track of the new album

Edited by - NimrodsSon on 09/12/2003 14:17:43
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  14:45:01  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
You know, if you're drumming is AWESOME ...you will always be underrated.

How many stone foundations do you notice on houses and say, that's an awesome house because of it?

Well, shit, you know what I mean...I'm hungry and can't think straight.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  14:49:53  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yeah, that's true. Nobody ever notices unless you're tooting your own horn or you screw up. Engineers have that problem with their image - they're generally only talked about when something goes wrong, people generally don't think of all the day-to-day things where we place our lives in their hands.

Maybe I'll start my own thread as well, given that I'm a moderator these days, bemoaning the under-appreciated engineer and all my hidden talents. But then, this is probably bad enough. :)

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  14:51:36  Show Profile
to be be honest i don't know of any seriously respected, or even over-rated drummers to know that there could be an under-rated drummer.
Go to Top of Page

edward897
- FB Fan -

80 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  18:59:47  Show Profile
My wife and I saw the band play in Baltimore in the Spring of 2001. Between songs my wife tells me that she likes watching the drummer, he's cool, and she wants to learn to play. I bought her a drum set a month later and she's been playing ever since then. Pretty cool thing to do for a 37 year old school teacher.

Ed
Go to Top of Page

paintmeister
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  19:15:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NimrodsSon

Wow, maybe this extremely positive post will make Harris want to come back and tell us who plays what on each track of the new album

I'd like to know who played what, too. I like the way they listed the musicians on DITS.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  19:34:36  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I was going to post about how tired I'm getting of Scott's drumming. He's so dull and predictable...it's the same drum beat over and over. Genius? Hardly. He's good, but not that good. That's one of the first things I thought of when I started listening to SMYT...I thought "Man, his drumming is getting old." Sorry.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / But I don't post every 5 fucking minutes"
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  21:51:56  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
heh..i wasn't gonna post until i saw Jim's........and i agree with him in general... I find he's solid as hell, no doubt, but it's all pretty 'straight forward' stuff..there aren't many times i've thought 'wow, that's a cool beat!'

But maybe i haven't been listening too hard..i dunno.

"We've got Dean to thank / For this Cult of Frank"
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  21:54:58  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
And don't get me wrong, i'm glad he's in the band, and being a solid drummer, he's a good man to have. I'm just not blown away like i am with the roles of the other members.

(And let's not forget, i have a bit of a beef since he forgot to put me on the guestlist, and i had to bug Dave P. ;)
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  22:04:54  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto

I was going to post about how tired I'm getting of Scott's drumming. He's so dull and predictable...it's the same drum beat over and over. Genius? Hardly. He's good, but not that good. That's one of the first things I thought of when I started listening to SMYT...I thought "Man, his drumming is getting old." Sorry.

Man, you never cease to amaze me with your ignorance. It's a good thing the Bennies kicked your dumb ass out.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  22:31:46  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I quit, you whore. He's not that hot of a drummer. Name 3 songs in which his drumming is a-fucking-mazing.

Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  22:53:55  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
Yikes, talk about fanatical. I swear that some people in this forum have the same unwavering, unobjective, militant love of FBC as Pope does Christianity. Whenever something is said that vaguely disputes the role of FB and the Catholics as completely perfect gods, WHAM! Crack down on the fuckers!

No one even said he wasn't good. They just said that he wasn't spectacular, which I totally agree with. His drumming is solid enough (and that more than does the job), it is nowhere near spectacular though. I'm sure that even he'd be intelligent enough to openly admit that he isn't a drumming god.
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  00:26:04  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
My experience with drummers is that they're fucking flaky and weird.
Oh yeah..I've got some stories...
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  05:19:56  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Actually, I never considered Scott's drumming amazing until SMYT. The Catholics are in top form on this record, and Scott plays better than ever. I love the drums on the album.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  06:01:22  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
I like his drumming
Maybe it isn't very amazing
but hell
the sound of FB isn't amazing right?
just the best songs on the planet
with the best musicians on the planet

they play like the Stones, Young, Dylan, Springsteen,etc. used to play, maybe it isn't that original, but the indierock scene is loaded with so called ''art-bands'' doing ''new'' stuff
FB already did that. He has passed that stage, now he is making
classics.

So yeah, with a classic sound you need a classic drummer.
Tada! Scott!

and he's very good in it

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  07:23:20  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage
The song that made me turn my my head and say "Damn that's some very good drumming" was Suffering from Frank Black and The Catholics.Frank singing on that one always send chills down my spine and the whole band backs him up with such passion and driving force that for me is jaw dropping!!!
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  09:08:53  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
I wish you could see him better at shows - he's always in the back (as drummers are, duh) but it also is always dark and he's usually in a hat (we have a theory he may be part of the witness protection program) so it's hard to do anything but hear him.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  09:42:12  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

And don't get me wrong, i'm glad he's in the band, and being a solid drummer, he's a good man to have. I'm just not blown away like i am with the roles of the other members.

(And let's not forget, i have a bit of a beef since he forgot to put me on the guestlist, and i had to bug Dave P. ;)

That happened to us in Regina, we were supposed to be on the guestlist but his phone had died, or Sarah's (SpinArt) had, or something. So we went to the bus and Mac got up from watching his ball game (he wasn't sitting with the rest of the band in the back). He came to the door and we told him we'd driven from Saskatoon and we were supposed to be on the guestlist, bla bla bla, and he brought Scott over, and Scott was awesome. He brought us in, introduced us to the bouncers, and hung out and chatted for a little while before retiring to the bus. He told us they weren't on for quite a while and we should go grab a coffee/bite and come back, and then brought us to the bouncers and made sure they knew who we were so we wouldn't have to stand in line or show tickets again. Very cool of him.

Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  11:53:17  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
WELL....the point of the post was that Scott is very subtle but inspired....plays from the heart, as has Frank Black ffor the past three or four albums, or maybe some of you haven't noticed. My point here is, if Terry Bozzio or Neil Peart were playing on these albums....i'm sorry to say that that they would have to play the same way, because it is what is demanded in this style of music......when i hear the repetitive short drum rolls in 'Everything is New'....my mind is reminded of new beginnings ([in a ironic way]....as the lyrics seem to illustrate, drum rolls can be employed in an extremely symbolic sense; an event, or arrival. Drummers keep the beat, but also set the mood. If you keep the lyrics in mind, and listen to the choices Scott makes in drumming.....you may be astounded at the inspired elements of his drumming. Quite often brilliant.
So leave the razzle dazzle to Buddy Rich and JOhn Bonham and let Scott do his job.....which in my opinion, is better than great.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  12:38:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Exactly. Just because he's not all flair and show-offery, doesn't mean he isn't doing exactly what's called for as needed, and that's what makes him a great musician. If you want to hear him doing a lot of flashy stuff, check out a live version of Freedom Rock or even the intro of Bullet.

Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  21:56:03  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
I think you'll find that no one ever said he wasn't doing what was needed. Everyone said he was good. That wasn't where the dispute happened.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  22:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
I'm not talking show-offy or flair...just not *creative*...it seems mainly straight-forward drumming. As Jim said, what you'd expect to hear. Not something that's a little different, or dare i say 'quirky'.

But again, he's great, and i'm glad he's in the band.
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  09:12:42  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
SB is the Ringo Starr of his generation, steady, rock-solid, capable of flash when called upon. In short, everything a great band needs. Besides, the next time I hear some knothead pounding 64th. note triplets on a kick drum, I'm going postal...

The Cult of Frank: "More than you think, for less than you thought"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  10:18:47  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I dig the sig, Brian. That might be our new motto. And the two heads thing is kinda' cool.

Sheamus Yeah, I know, I'm just saying that the reason people might not think he's a good drummer is because he's not calling a lot of attention to himself. Maybe Dave is right and that means he's not very creative, but I think it just means he's happy to contribute to the song in the way that's called for without searching for the spotlight. We've seen that he's technically capable of playing really hard crap, but does he come up with it? Should he? I personally think that what he's done is great, but you guys are correct that there really aren't any beats where I sit up and say, wow, that's really cool sounding. The question is, if there was, wouldn't that mean that my attention was being diverted from the song itself? It's hypothetical, and there's no correct answer, but I think that it might, and that might not be the ideal thing for a drummer to be trying to do.

Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  10:35:52  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
If we're going to bring up Ringo also, I might as well profess my hatred for him. He sucks.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  10:41:50  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Ringo sucks? Man, this is getting ridiculous.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  11:51:03  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
OK, so he doesn't suck in the "inability to play" department, but he's certainly nothing to write home about. He's very, very boring. If anyone thinks he's great or underrated or even dare I say "genius," then you're delirious.

Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  11:58:37  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
I think Ringo deserves more credit than that. It's hard to shine behind the likes of Paul and John, but he held his own and shone on many occasions.

Back to Scott, i don't think that being creative takes away from anything (unless that's the intent.) It should *add* to the whole song, and make the entire experience better, not steal the spotlight.

Again, this is the difference between 'flair' and 'creative'. I'm not asking for insane rolls every other bar, i'm asking for something more than what i'm expecting to hear. Playing 'outside the box'..
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  12:35:06  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage
i was noticing his nice drumming on the eponymous CD the other day.

he's no jimmy chamberlain, dave grohl, john bonham, etc. but he's good.
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  13:36:15  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
heard what he does with 'Remake/Remodel'? enough said.
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  13:45:45  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage

also people who look at drummers and/or bass players as just a foundation for the rest of the band are fools.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000