Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  17:34:23  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
Scott's playing is remarkably solid, but certainly nothing to be in complete awe of; the flashier stuff that he does is alternately great, cheesy, or a little generic. I sometimes wish that Scott and Dave M could/would provide a less "integral", less obvious backdrop for Frank's songs, though I'm sure there's only so much a rhythm section can do when working in the genre of mature, country and blues-flavored alt rock.

Ebb: you forgot Dale Crover.

Edited by - Chris Knight on 09/14/2003 17:35:41
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  17:39:13  Show Profile
i like scott.
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  17:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage
It seems to me that on the earlier stuff like COR and FB&Cs, Scotts drumming was much more complicated, and I always figured it was due to being more familiar with the songs before recording them. On the albums since then, I don't think they rehearse that much before they record, so I would assume Scott doesn't have the time to work out really complicated drum parts. By no means is he a bad drummer. I think he can really make a song come alive. "Bartholomew" doesn't come alive for me until he does his drum roll half way through, and then it's kickin. His bell playing on "manitoba" is really tasteful, too.
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  18:13:05  Show Profile
After reading this thread, I waited for the new FB song to come on to listen to the drumming and it was "This Old Heartache" and I must say, the drums in this song sound pretty awesome to me.
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  18:21:55  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Knight

Ebb: you forgot Dale Crover.

i left a lot of people out, thus the 'etc.' :)
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  19:54:01  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Dave Grohl is my example of a stellar drummer. He's fucking amazing.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / But I don't post every 5 fucking minutes"
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  20:08:19  Show Profile
He's a good drummer, and a pretty good singer, but there are some lead vocalists who can scream really well, and I think he is one of them.

"...you can see here by my grin I don't give a fuck..."
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  22:56:00  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
I think Johnny Yen has a good point...i wonder how much time he had for SMYT?
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  23:04:28  Show Profile
tom zinser is a good drummer......
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  08:57:28  Show Profile
Not to come off like a softie but maybe it's not the best idea for us to criticize "sticks". Sure, this is a fan site and criticism and comment on the whole is surely a good thing, but to single out one member of the group just seems wrong. We're like family here and the best thing a family can do for it's brothers is to encourage. Let the critics pick the individual members apart. Just would hate to lose the only bandmember who contributes to the website...
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  10:21:17  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage
Another thing is since they are in a live setting, with everyone playing at once, one doesn't necessarily want complicated drumming as they may detract from all the guitar and vocal parts. I think Scott does a good job keeping the beat, providing tasteful fills, and leaving enough room for everyone else to shine, which I bet is hard to do in a live setting like that. I have now run out of commas.
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  13:20:14  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto

Dave Grohl is my example of a stellar drummer. He's fucking amazing.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / But I don't post every 5 fucking minutes"

He's good for what he does. His style would not work with The Catholics.
Scott works for The Catholics.

And I do believe you DO post every 5 fucking minutes.
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  14:18:28  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage
swimmer i think you're ignorance/stupidity (pick one) is showing.

while the typical drumming you hear out of say dave grohl, jimmy chamberlain or any other "rocking" drummer (like john bonham) isn't what you'd think would fit the catholic songs there's two things you're not realizing:

1) part of the reason the songs sound as they do is the drummer's contribution, having a different drummer, like having a different lead guitar, vocalist, etc. would alter all the songs.

2) a great drummer like the ones above would know what to do to fit the songs best. while they may have a signature style which is most readily associated with them, if you look over either of the above's entire work you will see a wide variety of styles and displays of ability.

i would agree if you said that someone like lars ulrich wouldn't be able to fit and would only hurt the songs; because he is very limited in what ability he has.

anyway nothing i've posted is meant to rag on scott, like i said he's quite good and better than the doofuses who can't appreciate subtlety give him credit for.
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  14:27:25  Show Profile
Hey there Mr. Knight, who else has Dale Crover played with? I enjoyed his work on "Bleach".

He's the Cult of Frank/Fear the boy ass-pirate
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  16:09:36  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
Dale Crover is the drummer for the great San Fran band, The Melvins. Coincidently, Kurt Cobain started out rodeying for the Melvins....guitar and vocals, Buzz Osbourne (appeared in one of Beck's videos) taught kurt a thing or two on the guitar. If you are interested in listening to them, some great starters are Gluey Porch Treatment, Houdini, Stag and Stoner Witch.
I have seen them 3 times over the last 11 years, and it is always amazing. Dale Crover on drums, is definitely a sight to behold. Usually he only wears speedos and gardening gloves, and when you see him play, you know why......my ears are still ringing from the show 2 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  17:14:20  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
I prefer Ozma over Gluey Porch Treatments, and both can be found on the CD version of Ozma released on Boner Records. The other albums that fbf mentions, however, are a little more accessible and, hence, would serve as better starting points.

One would not be amiss to say that Dale Crover is the greatest rock drummer that ever lived.

When the hell is CBS gonna do a Murphy Brown reunion?
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  18:47:49  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
greatest rock drummer that ever existed?.....um....indeed. and i urge anyone reading this post to seek out the Melvins (notably, it is the only other band that Kurt Cobain bothered to namecheck as much as Pixies and Frank Black)....if they come around your way, count yerself lucky and get your ass some tickets.........probably among the most rocking live acts ever.....but bring ear plugs.

Edited by - frank_black_francis on 09/15/2003 18:50:56
Go to Top of Page

kip1981
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  21:35:34  Show Profile
I play the drums badly.

I have never thought that Scott was anything but mediocre. I love his playing on If It Takes All Night but even that is not so special. Pan American Highway is nice.
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  22:36:09  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
I think he has matched the other musical elements perfectly on many a FB song.
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  00:23:47  Show Profile
Thanks Chris and FBF, I'll be sure to catch some Melvines. I almost bought a Melvins record way back in the day (the one with with the Swan on the cover), but something stopped me. Perhaps my lack of fundage. And Buzz's scary hair.....

He's the Cult of Frank/Fear the boy ass-pirate
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  10:06:43  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Ebb Vicious

swimmer i think you're ignorance/stupidity (pick one) is showing.

while the typical drumming you hear out of say dave grohl, jimmy chamberlain or any other "rocking" drummer (like john bonham) isn't what you'd think would fit the catholic songs there's two things you're not realizing:

1) part of the reason the songs sound as they do is the drummer's contribution, having a different drummer, like having a different lead guitar, vocalist, etc. would alter all the songs.

2) a great drummer like the ones above would know what to do to fit the songs best. while they may have a signature style which is most readily associated with them, if you look over either of the above's entire work you will see a wide variety of styles and displays of ability.

i would agree if you said that someone like lars ulrich wouldn't be able to fit and would only hurt the songs; because he is very limited in what ability he has.

anyway nothing i've posted is meant to rag on scott, like i said he's quite good and better than the doofuses who can't appreciate subtlety give him credit for.

I think your ignorance and stupidity is showing by thinking that what you posted is a valid argument and made sense when it does neither.

And thanks for the INFO I never EVER thought of that before. You're brilliant right?

The day you know more about that then me, this web forum will crash to the ground.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  10:51:54  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
His ignorance and stupidity shows everytime his mouth opens...don't worry about him.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / And uh...the swimmer sucks dick for busfair"
Go to Top of Page

massif snake
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  10:55:16  Show Profile  Visit massif snake's Homepage  Click to see massif snake's MSN Messenger address
i think ave lovering smacks the pants off bouttier- maybe its cos im jus more kowledgeable bout the pixies than frank black.

have sex with the nuns at my school.
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  15:38:04  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
....OF COURSE THE MUSIC HAS A VERY DIFFERENT DYNAMIC WITH THE PIXIES
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  17:24:19  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage
quote:
the swimmer and El Barto united to say:

hurr

swimmer, i guess i went over your head. i don't know how since it's so simple but next time i will try to have colourful illustrations and confine myself to simple sentences of single syllable words so that you can understand.

maybe you post with your mouth open, barto, but not being inbred, i don't sit around slack-jawed.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  20:13:58  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Sorry, your elite majesty.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / And uh...the swimmer sucks dick for busfair"
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  21:46:47  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by frank_black_francis

greatest rock drummer that ever existed?.....um....indeed. and i urge anyone reading this post to seek out the Melvins (notably, it is the only other band that Kurt Cobain bothered to namecheck as much as Pixies and Frank Black)....if they come around your way, count yerself lucky and get your ass some tickets.........probably among the most rocking live acts ever.....but bring ear plugs.

Better add Mudhoney to that list
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  21:50:51  Show Profile
well, just about any "indie" band these days is/was a fan of the pixies...even if they don't sound like it, most will tell you they were into them.
Go to Top of Page

Dallas
= Cult of Ray =

USA
725 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  11:43:31  Show Profile
Scott is a great drummer. Picking out the 'greatest' is follie. It's all in the ear of the beholder. Otherwise, my gramps says Buddy Rich was overrated...
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  13:34:38  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
who's your gramps? gene krupa?
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  01:33:16  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
quote:

That's funny.

Denis

"I'm in the Cult of Frank/Now how the hell do I get out?"
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  05:44:00  Show Profile
quote:

I think Ringo deserves more credit than that [...] he held his own and shone on many occasions.

Yeah, he was GREAT on Thomas the Tank Engine.
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  07:19:13  Show Profile
Yeah, how could you improve Ringo? Throw in lots of fancy fills during Dear Prudence?
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5454 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  09:55:08  Show Profile
quote:

Wow, funny. Congratulations on the first Gene Krupa reference on the forum. Stepping a little further back in time, Chick Webb would have owned Buddy Rich in a battle of the bands.
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  23:22:42  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by noexx

well, just about any "indie" band these days is/was a fan of the pixies...even if they don't sound like it, most will tell you they were into them.

Yeah, that's all well and good, and very nice Noexx, but I was refering to the bands that Nirvana namechecked the most.

The Pixies and Melvins were listed as the top 2. I'd say that Mudhoney holds at least equal weighting on that list.

Rather pointless trivia.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000