Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

CaptainMaximus
- FB Fan -

126 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  06:30:24  Show Profile
Sheamus, dumb and uninformed? I've listened to 4ad's stuff for about 13 or 14 years. The label ain't what it used to be: period. No more Wolfgang Press, no more Cocteau Twins, and no more Pixies. I'd hardly call my opinion uniformed. In fact, I'm willing to gamble I have far more 4ad material in my collection than you, so perhaps it's unwise to leap to conclusions. Yes, I stated I was unfamiliar with their current roster, and for good reason; it's unprepossessing, to put it mildly. And much of it I have heard, including the Mountain Goats, who are a kind of artsy fartsy version of a Drag City band. Just my opinion, man, much like yours about my being "dumb and uninformed." [cough]
Go to Top of Page

CaptainMaximus
- FB Fan -

126 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  06:32:09  Show Profile
Oh, and as far as 4ad's treatment of FB, you only have to read circa 1993/94 interviews with the man himself about that.
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  07:09:28  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
OK, sorry, I should point out now that I sometimes get a bit animated when posting on forums. Nothing personal, just something I tend to do to liven the place up a bit and keep myself interested in posting/procrastinating. I'm not saying that I know very much at all about 4AD, but with that said, I'm sure that the situation isn't as black and white as you seemed to indicate.

I'm not sure who Drag City Band are, but The Mountain Goats is basically one guy with an acoustic guitar who sings very loud and inspiring narratives. His 4AD release quite different to his past ones, which were almost all recorded in his lounge room on a household cassette recorder. It's really quite invigorating.

Edited by - Sheamus on 09/12/2003 07:10:40
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  07:40:16  Show Profile
thanks jo,
i wouldn't pretend to know what goes on or has gone on between the labels and said parties
-just curious as to what this burst of 'news' is all about.
I was in awe of the quality your label gave the TitleTK release (vinyl)and if there were
to be product from a future pixies 4AD would be my sonic choice.
as long as Mr. Thompson keeps working i'm happy -can't help but want to hear him work with
Kim again from time to time is my wish sometimes.
if it never happens oh well -any new Kim to come? -off the record any thing to say about this
'news' fiasco?
(sorry, had to ask).

R
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  07:42:54  Show Profile
i think cap'n maxeemus meant bands from a label called drag city.

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/12/2003 10:13:26
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  08:11:13  Show Profile
bah
if there is anything to this then C. Thompson & crew get low marks for not being responsible enough to step up to the plate and say something about it: i guess the fact that we support their work isn't enough to warrant civilized communication, ditto if it's not true.
he said recently he thought he was arrogant in the past -maybe he is revisiting.

R

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/12/2003 10:14:41
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  11:57:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto

Here's something I dug up from a different forum talking about Kim Deal and talking about the four of them getting together a few years back.

"And, in answer to the inevitable question about the Pixies, she says that the only problem / ill feeling is now between Frank and David, cos David isn't a drummer now, he's a phenomenalist. And that they all had dinner 18 months ago at Joey's and she had to drive 5 hours to get there."
---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS

For whatever it's worth, after a FB & The C's show in Columbia, SC right after the release of BLD & DW, at which David Lovering opened up with his Mr. Wizard routine, I approached him and we spoke briefly.

This was a few days before he started doing that "ask me any questions you want about the Pixies" bit in his act.

I told him how much my girlfriend and I enjoyed the Phenomenalist thing (she was the one he brought up on stage for the meteor trick), and he seemed genuinely appreciative and friendly.

Then I told him that I was a drummer, and that I had seen him play with both The Pixies and Cracker. At that point, his friendly demeanor and smile began to disappear. I let him know that I'd always gotten an immense amount of inspiration and joy from his music, and that it had helped me in my approach to crafting drum tracks in the studio. At that point he looked like he was getting extremely seasick.

I finished up by telling him that I wished him continued success in whatever he did. He flashed me a look that screamed "Whatever, dude." then he turned and walked away.

Perhaps he just had a bad night, but it seemed pretty obvious to me that he wasn't interested at all in even musing on his musical exploits. The few interviews I've read since then have made it sound like he's decided to devote all his energies to the art of illusion.

Perhaps there's a great deal of truth in Kim's statement. He's the only one who hasn't publicly done much in the way of playing for many, many years.

But, then again, it's probably none of our business, right?

hahahahahaha

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  11:58:07  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Aye, thanks for clearing up my amature detective work Jo. =)

"We've got Dean to thank / For this Cult of Frank"
Go to Top of Page

xraycat
- FB Fan -

12 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  12:26:38  Show Profile  Visit xraycat's Homepage
I wrote the Pitchfork story, so I'm just clarifying that we didn't have anything new, I got it from the MTV story as well. It looked shady, and we pondered even running it, but there's no reason to believe it's NOT true, so we didn't want to completely ignore it.

I'd like to add myself to the people in complete disbelief that people here are snobby and ignorant enough to cast off something this potentially incredible as pointless, or even bad.

I understand the whole "reunions are just rehashes" sentiment, but that's sort of a rule of thumb for huge, money-raking top-charting bands who break up then all individually fall completely into obscurity and get back together in their 60's for another tour. This isn't one of those bands. It's not like Frank Black's a moron, he's not going to let this suck. They've only been broken up for a decade, they were short-lived to begin with, and they were never all that popular while they were still around.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  12:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if they were to reunite it would be awesome; as you said, Frank wouldn't let it suck. I'm not sure that the word is in his vocabulary. The only people who would be disappointed would be those going in with expectations... expectations that it will sound exactly like it used to, or nothing like it used to, or that they will cover old stuff and not touch it, or that they will completely take some of the old songs in new directions. Expectations lead to disappointment.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  13:00:08  Show Profile
amateur not amature.

R

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/12/2003 13:01:18
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  13:00:50  Show Profile
Bands reunited

As one of indie's most influential groups announce that they are getting back together, Jon Dennis weighs the pros and cons of rock reunions

Thursday September 11, 2003

[pic caption]Gone too soon: the Pixies broke up just as their brand of music was breaking into the mainstream

When I heard today that the Pixies were re-forming, I nearly fell off my chair. I saw them a couple of times in the late 1980s and they were the most powerful, stunning, original thing I'd ever heard. Black Francis's screams and the very-quiet-then-very-loud dynamics (oft copied, never bettered) were terrifying. And they had top tunes, too.
But should they get back together? Isn't it always better to leave well alone, to let the back catalogue speak for itself, then lie back and bask in your little patch of rock history? Better that than the waxwork hell that is the rock band nostalgia tour.

Or could it be that the Pixies can still surprise us? To be honest, the band never really moved a muscle on stage - their freakish power lay in their music, not in any vulgar on-stage cavorting. So it's not as if they'd lose any stage presence in the 11 years since they split.

Similarly, Francis's solo career (as Frank Black) and that of Kim Deal (with the Breeders and the Amps) have had many high points, so it's unlikely that they'll have "lost it".

And you can't blame the Pixies for cashing in on their "indie legend" status - during their 1987-92 career, they never reaped the financial rewards that the many bands they inspired, such as Nirvana, did. As long as they're honest about it, like the Sex Pistols were when they named their reunion gigs the "filthy lucre" tour.

In any case, why is it OK for the Rolling Stones to keep going forever, but not OK for their contemporaries such as the Beatles to record or perform together again, as happened back in the mid-1990s?

The obvious answer to this, of course, is that one of the Beatles was dead at the time. In the event, the tracks that "the Threetles" recorded "with" John Lennon from beyond the grave were a travesty. It was telling that producer Sir George Martin kept his distance from the whole sorry enterprise, and that the band instead had to rope in Jeff Lynne, a man best known for his Sgt Pepper tribute band ELO.

Am I being too much of a purist? Should bands preserve their legends in aspic and resist the temptation to show young whippersnappers how it's done? Of course, you have to time it right. If the Buzzcocks had waited another 10 years before getting back on the circuit, they might have stirred the same feelings of nostalgia and affection as the Pistols did in 1997.

You don't even have to be old to stir up anger similar to my Beatles rage. When the remaining members of Joy Division announced their intention to continue making music as New Order after the death of singer Ian Curtis, there was much wailing and gnashing of the teeth on the letters page of NME.

It is a worry, of course. What if the Pixies are crap when they tour next year? I've also got tickets for Dexy's Midnight Runners in November, who are joining Jane's Addiction and the Bangles as this year's Bands Reunited. Dexy's were the first band I ever saw live, and they were great. But Kevin Rowland was last seen at Glastonbury singing Whitney Houston songs and wearing a dress. As I say, it's a worry.

Many music fans lamented the reunions of old codgers such as the Velvet Underground and the Sex Pistols. But despite the middle-aged spreads and dubious fashion sense, they sounded astonishing. How amazing it was to hear the very same people that changed music so dramatically play live again!

Perhaps it all comes down to a case of pop snobbery. Few people were able to catch the Pistols and the Velvets during their brief heyday. Those that did are keen to preserve their elite status. How the punk purists must have breathed a sigh of relief when Joe Strummer died, thus precluding a Clash reunion forever - even though Mick Jones made a guest appearance at Joe's last gig, a benefit for striking firefighters. And how tantalising that gig was, providing a neat coda to a career of remarkable integrity.

Or maybe the Clash could do a Threetles and dig up an old Strummer demo? I hear Jeff Lynne's got some spare time on his hands.

- guardian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  13:13:57  Show Profile
punctuation or punktuition?
as an official blarg spokesperson i must say that
this website does deserve a scoop of it's own given
all the devotion embodied here, i know in reality it will be a week
or something before some official bonehead waves a mike in front of
Charlie T. but he really owes this site a word or two from his own
piehole. We could keep it under the radar, right?
...blarghhh...

R
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  13:15:48  Show Profile
popsnobs .... i like it!

R
Go to Top of Page

Visiting Sasquatch
= Cult of Ray =

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  14:18:52  Show Profile
I read, and correct me if I'm wrong, in the Mondo article when Dog In the Sand came out, that when asked, Dave said he'd love to drum for Frank if asked, and I assume he meant in either the capacity of Frank w/ or w/o the Catholics, and the Pixies. This is from the top of my head...
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  15:18:41  Show Profile
re: peter radiator:
last july, David Lovering guested on drums for the encore at the Catholics gig at the Coach House, this was when Scott Boutier had injured his hand. He seemed genuinely enthusistic and the energy from the crowd was undeniable. SO while he may have some ill feelings towards his musical career, they are apparently not serious enough to keep him from a) touring with Frank and b) playing with Frank.
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  15:35:36  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

[quote]Originally posted by El Barto

Perhaps there's a great deal of truth in Kim's statement. He's the only one who hasn't publicly done much in the way of playing for many, many years.

I think it should be noted that he did sing "La La Love You" with The Bennies when I saw FB&tCs in Boston last November. He seemed to really get a kick out of it, too. But yeah, maybe he really hates drumming now...

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  19:39:59  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
He loves The Bennies. He says they're one of his favorite bands of all times. DL's girlfriend even attempted to manage them for a brief period. They wanted to play that song with him live because the Pixies never played it...I actually taught Jeremy and Jack how to play the guitar and bass to that song while they were on break from the tour ;) I'm so cool.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / But I don't post every 5 fucking minutes"
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  22:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Hey xraycat, thanks for posting..i don't agree with you, but it's cool to have the authors of these articles pop up. =)

Thanks blarg, just shows how amateur i am!
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  22:30:56  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto

I'm so cool.
i]

But you aren't.
Go to Top of Page

jo
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  04:50:47  Show Profile  Visit jo's Homepage
re Dave L drumming, there was talk of him covering dates for Tanya Donelly last year, the ones David Narcizo couldn't do, which look like they never came to anything as well... tangent alert there :) I think Leah said something about it in a post a while back, met DL briefly after the Breeders Water Rats gig, when she was having a good gab with him...
Go to Top of Page

massif snake
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  03:19:22  Show Profile  Visit massif snake's Homepage  Click to see massif snake's MSN Messenger address
maybe vh1 are just looing some publicity, cos u KNOW as a music entity they fuckin' suck.

have sex with the nuns at my school.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  10:37:01  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
VH1 is cooler than MTV tho...they have better shows. Music-wise though, do they even play music anymore?

"I joined the Cult of Frank / But I don't post every 5 fucking minutes"
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  10:53:06  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Chroneos

quote:
Originally posted by mun chien andalusia

Who the hell is Good Charlotre?

Good Charlotte, n.:
    See: "mediocre Green Day"

---

I saw a video of this lame band...More than mediocre Green Day they seemed like the backstreet boys without the guitars to me...

"Protect me from what i want"
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  21:23:59  Show Profile
I hate that band.

-------------------------
ain't it funny how the goes
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  03:30:48  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
I think this is something we can all agree on. Along with that whole troupe of Mall punk jockcore bands:

Good Charlotte
Sum 41
New Found Glory
Busted
etc
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  10:31:51  Show Profile
i am going to have my semi/x girlfriend consult the i-ching on this matter
-with specific questions such as will they play dates in australia etc.
as i have seen the i-ching method work with deadly accuracy before and
frankly all that goes on around here is current band lovers VS. pixies lovers.
-Frank is starting to talk and act like an old man -he certainly isn't but
lately his quotes seem to be including things along the lines of ..'i'm
getting old now'...and that makes me think that a minimal one off pixies
thing is possible but still not very likely -but when he is in rip-snortin'
mode you could see him saying yeah why not do an album, tour etc.
i'm refering recently to when i browsed some rolling stones issues
(the actual paper ones)i saw that he did a guest revue thing of some singles,
he said he couldn't understand the vocals on one and offered the explanation
that he was probably getting old.
i like the new LP (SMYT) but as i hear it it seems very safe and sentimental
and if you ask me it is a conscience effort to offer something so steeped
in classic americana that he becomes wildly popular overseas.
it just seems like a safe and sound business direction to increase market audience
to me a pixies re-union could offer a forum for Frank the dangerous
instead of Frank the safe.
the benefits of that longstanding legend the pixies would definitely put him in a place
where simply being good is the main prerequesite -fuckall elses as far as tone and content
-so long as it soars.

R
Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  11:36:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by xraycat

I wrote the Pitchfork story, so I'm just clarifying that we didn't have anything new, I got it from the MTV story as well. It looked shady, and we pondered even running it, but there's no reason to believe it's NOT true, so we didn't want to completely ignore it.

At the risk of sounding like a greenie out of J-school (and its been 20 years), that's no reason to run something you haven't verified yourself. Looks like you basically took a piece of crap journalism (the original VH1 story), (that had no substantiation to it, no names or reliable sources quoted), and re-reported the quote unquote "news" -- and you're actually willing to admit it? I certainly hope you're not proud of this.

Thank goodness for you that this isn't an accusation or slam on any members of the Pixies, in which case you would be (what I was taught in JOURN 253 - Journalism Ethics and the Law) doing what is called "repeating the libel" which is both ethically vile as well as indefensible in court. Did you at least "credit" your so-called source?

Note to self: editors at pitchfork appear to be fairly worthless if they let this this "report" get published without so much as adding anything new or substantiating anything. This is how rumors turn into urban legends.

"Sacred cows make the best burgers!"
Go to Top of Page

Blank Frack
- FB Fan -

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  15:20:21  Show Profile  Click to see Blank Frack's MSN Messenger address
Hi there. Long time reader and FAN, first time poster.

I had to reply to this:

The obvious answer to this, of course, is that one of the Beatles was dead at the time. In the event, the tracks that "the Threetles" recorded "with" John Lennon from beyond the grave were a travesty. It was telling that producer Sir George Martin kept his distance from the whole sorry enterprise, and that the band instead had to rope in Jeff Lynne, a man best known for his Sgt Pepper tribute band ELO.

Ok, I'm equally a fan of both Lynne and FB. In the music world, the two aren't as dissimilar as you would think. In fact, they are both fans of the same kinds of music. Frank has recently (last few years) said that he spent a lot of time listening to Del Shannon records. This was pretty evident in DITS, I think. Who produced and recorded the last Del record? Why, Jeff Lynne. Lynne did not run a Sgt. Pepper tribute band. ELO were innovative in their own right. "On the Third Day" is an album so raw and simplistic in recording methods, that Frank himself might appreciate his spartan methods. By the way, reasons given for Lynne producing the last two Beatles tracks were that 1- Martin was fighting a hearing loss 2- Lynne was George Harrison's buddy, 3- Lynne has earned his reputation as the pre-eminent authority in cleaning up and producing tracks long after artists have died.

As for saying that Lynne spent his entire life preparing for the job he did on the final Beatles tracks, well, it's true. You begrudge him that? How many people can say that they were in the studio when "Glass Onion" was being recorded? (Lynne.) Who else's band was dubbed "Son of Beatles" by John Lennon? (Lynne.) Lynne was heir apparent to the job of producing tracks at the request of the rest of the boys, and he did a damn good job, given tapes that were a few generations down.

Ok, back to Frank.

Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  06:03:29  Show Profile
now i see why people quote what they are responding to..
i missed the whole deal above...ELO??
i'll have to backtrack...yeah, back to FB please.

R

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/16/2003 06:05:44
Go to Top of Page

Huey
- FB Fan -

28 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  16:14:16  Show Profile
i asked my magic 8 ball if the pixies would reunite for a tour in april and it said "very doubtful"

i then asked it if the pixies were the greatest band of all time, just to check its credibility and it said, "without a doubt."

the 8 ball doesn't lie. the chances of a reunion happening in april is very doubtful.
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  23:47:47  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
In my dream they did reunite, and I think it's pretty obvious that my dreams are more accurate than your 8-Ball. Perhaps we should ask a tea leaf reader.
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  00:22:44  Show Profile
how about a tea bag eater?
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  00:45:26  Show Profile
It's not much evidence, but if reunion rumor was completely false then in the Kings Court thread wouldn' t one expect Frank Black to have shot down the idea given the numerous questions about it.
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  05:08:02  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Hmm might be a good point. Maybe Frank is enjoying the hysteria that surrounds a potential Pixies reunion.

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000