USA
53 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  09:25:33  Show Profile  Visit obmeZ's Homepage
I’ve been scanning through all these posts
Holy Christ!
Maybe it was just a stunt to see how much publicity it would generate and how
much of a demand there would be for a reunion tour and album. Maybe it’s 4AD’s
(I’m not naming names) way of generating more sales on the reissues (seeing how
old timers like myself have more practical things to blow a buck on)
All this Blah-Blah-Blah…when the fact of the matter is whether you agree a reunion would be a good idea or not… You’re gonna buy the album and you’re gonna go to the show. My 2 cent.
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  09:49:36  Show Profile
germane to the last post, here are my current thoughts:
somebody, or some organization, is making what they consider to be the absolute, all-time greatest effort ever made to get the Pixies to reunite, and in doing so are seriously manipulating the media and fans in the process. I have no idea who's responsible and whether any of the principals in the Pixies camp are complicit...I think that whatever promotional body is reponsible has, perhaps based on a non-immediate refusal of their (presumably serious and very lucrative) offer by management, has 'leaked' official confirmation of the reunion to the expected press/fan-frenzy. thus and Messrs. Thompson et al have an opportunity to view, very tangibly, (as if he/they didn't already know) the public demand for such a reunion first hand, and include such information in their consideration of the offer at hand, and simultaneously putting the pressure on them.
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  10:06:48  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by anazgnos
thus and Messrs. Thompson et al have an opportunity to view, very tangibly, (as if he/they didn't already know) the public demand for such a reunion first hand, and include such information in their consideration of the offer at hand, and simultaneously putting the pressure on them.

I don't think that a fan site is a good place to gather information about a reunion or a new album,'cause people that visit it are sure clients anyway.In Frank Black's case it's even worse due to a relatively small pool of fans.Don't get me wrong but 2000 members are great for an alternative artist but can hardly full concerts on a world wide tour even if you multiply per 10 that number.Unless this reunion is meant to be for a few(let's say 5-10)gigs,that would be surely sold out,the whole thing could easily turn to a giant flop.
Go to Top of Page

obmeZ
- FB Fan -

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  10:12:05  Show Profile  Visit obmeZ's Homepage

[/quote]
Don't get me wrong but 2000 members are great for an alternative artist but can hardly full concerts on a world wide tour

not if they like "double bill" with Good Charlote!
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  10:17:02  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by obmeZ

Don't get me wrong but 2000 members are great for an alternative artist but can hardly full concerts on a world wide tour

not if they like "double bill" with Good Charlote!
[/quote]

Who the hell is Good Charlotre?
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  10:27:42  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Here's something I dug up from a different forum talking about Kim Deal and talking about the four of them getting together a few years back.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4ad-l/message/3757

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  10:30:04  Show Profile
-good or bad journalism aside there may be a reason the actual 'officials' are not mentioned-has anyone seen this sheer volume of rampant rumour concerning this before? -as far as seeming so official and widespread i mean.

boy, something seems awful official about this news as articles like this are popping up left and right with the word 'official' all over
http://music.ign.com/articles/437/437556p1.html

say what you will -i smell tour

R

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/11/2003 10:43:27
Go to Top of Page

jo
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  10:34:47  Show Profile  Visit jo's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by obmeZ

Maybe it’s 4AD’s
(I’m not naming names) way of generating more sales on the reissues (seeing how
old timers like myself have more practical things to blow a buck on)

for the record, 4ad have distanced themselves from this, there's a statement on the Pixies section, and refers back to the Billboard article posted earlier today.

it'd be nice if it was something 4ad cooked up to generate interest, but lets face it, the Pixies sell anyway, and don't need something like this to happen to sell more records.

mind, we made sure we mentioned the DVD and Best Of when we did our update, so at least its the first thing people might see :) may as well get an opportunity when its laid in front of you like this one!
Go to Top of Page

obmeZ
- FB Fan -

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  10:41:48  Show Profile  Visit obmeZ's Homepage
[Who the hell is Good Charlotre?
[/quote]

nothing worth burning a single brain cell over.
good boy! you get a gold star!
Go to Top of Page

Narrator
- FB Fan -

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  10:54:43  Show Profile
Heh...

Saturday Saturday SATURDAY!

See Sum 41 and Good Charlotte perform all of your favorite hits in the Boston McDonalds/AOLTimeWarner SummerShock tour!

Doors open at 7.

Opening act: The Pixies
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  11:10:33  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address

I hate the snobbish style of this article but i agree with most of the writer's points.Who is that Pixies Spokesman anyway?
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  11:15:33  Show Profile
i think 'anazgnos' summation is probably the most accurate and that things like the forum bit about the pixters having dinner that came from a year and three quarters ago spell that even if it is and this probably is 'un-official' that SOMETHING will happen soon in the way of 'official'
news anyway. -given all the bits of existing info i gotta say they will do this at some point
and regardless how this phase pans that you can bet in the long run these people are gonna be
playing to seas of satisfied faces worldwide.

-my own experience with the draw of the Pixies over what the solo
or Catholics do is the ridiculous turnover of stock at the Tower
records store -they order max. quantities of pixies titles and
when the label sales go on they re-stock doolittle twice just within that one week sale and the rest at least once. Reckless records in most locations have vinyl slots still open in the bins and if your lucky a decent copy of Bossanova or something turns up-
-but the bin is forever there it seems-

gotta love the catholics and frank black
-but it's kinda like looking at the winning lotto ticket being offered to you by a time traveller and all you have to do is accept it
-let's say it's for 33 million -on principle you are going to refuse??

R

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/11/2003 11:26:20
Go to Top of Page

obmeZ
- FB Fan -

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  11:20:53  Show Profile  Visit obmeZ's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Narrator

Heh...

Saturday Saturday SATURDAY!

See Sum 41 and Good Charlotte perform all of your favorite hits in the Boston McDonalds/AOLTimeWarner SummerShock tour!

Doors open at 7.

Opening act: The Pixies

AWWE 7! PM?! that's past my bed time :(
Go to Top of Page

frankblacktaper
- FB Fan -

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  11:23:55  Show Profile
Pixies onstage again would be simply amazing..This is a rare combination where I could see it being a critical and commercial success..God its been so long since EMU Ballroom on Halloween in 1989 with Bob Mould, you can talk all you want about seing Speedy Marie, but nothing was quite like the old alphatbetical setlist

Tapers unite
Go to Top of Page

AdrianDenning
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  11:27:47  Show Profile  Visit AdrianDenning's Homepage
My two cents. A reunion tour would be fine as long as Frank CAN still hit the notes and scream and everything else. As long as that can be done, they'll sound much the same as they did before. As for a new album - I really don't know how they could approach it. I've always thought anyway, Kim had the sound, Frank had the songs. 'Last Splash' sounds a lot more Pixies than anything Frank has done solo. Match up Kim and Frank again, you're sure to have at least a GOOD album - but will a good album be enough? Unless it's an instant masterpiece, a lot of people will dismiss it - that's how people are sometimes
Go to Top of Page

Narrator
- FB Fan -

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  11:34:35  Show Profile
Yeah, people suck. Even though I'll buy it right off the presses, I'm not all that excited about the future album... I'm more thrilled about the tour. I've just always wanted to see the Pixies live.

I'll admit this about the album, it's always going to be the black sheep of the catalog. And that's ok, I think everybody involved knows that it won't change the essential Pixies line-up.

Kinda like the B-Sides, it's an extra.
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  11:50:43  Show Profile
listen to SMYT -Charlie can hit the notes if he wants or re-create them as he wants
and that's cool too -it would be great, anyone too fogged over to see that is probably
listening to too much else to know.
what i think is a major hold up is them as a group trying to do this based on a decent
principle -all parties involved have experienced the horror show of the big machine and
would like to reap the benefits of the popularity without wholly giving in.
and that is where it gets awful sticky as you can't really get that exposure without
making that deal with the devil to some degree. it would be great if they could DIY
the whole thing into success --but as i think i noted earlier on: radio stations can't
even admit why they don't play the Catholics stuff when it would actually rock on
the airwaves and in most cases they want to play their stuff -but can't apparantly.
musically i think new material would be great by any standard if they re-formed for
a disc or two, charles has pointed out in the past that the direction towards the end
was not that un-like where the Catholics has gone since and i really don't think that
is an issue but i believe that is at the root of the naysayers argument
-that they will focus on being like they were and seem silly and a general feeling
of discouragement would settle in and the Catholics thread could get lost etc.
-just can it for cryin' out loud.
-and if this news is so un-official and far fetched why has it been moved and
focused within the 'frank black making noise' folder.
-sounds like subconsciously El Barto wished this all was frank black's noise.

R
Go to Top of Page

leokearse
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  12:11:00  Show Profile  Visit leokearse's Homepage
I don't think any of us need to worry about the Pixies not being up to playing live. Last time I saw FB+C, in Vancouver a couple of years back, the Pixies tunes he played sounded more visceral, primal and alive than anything I've ever heard.

I reckon the album will be at least excellent, if not the alchemy of old. Hopefully it means he's going to go back to "screaming it like he hates that bitch".

- Leo
Go to Top of Page

obmeZ
- FB Fan -

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  12:28:36  Show Profile  Visit obmeZ's Homepage
[/quote]

for the record, 4ad have distanced themselves from this, there's a statement on the Pixies section, and refers back to the Billboard article posted earlier today.

[/quote]
I'm sorry Jo
I don't even know why I wrote that.
Youz guyz are above something like that.
I salute you for regaining the rights to the Pixies cat.
I'll even say I'm sure that purchase was driven by more than just profit. And thanks for the DVD updates. I was as giddy as a school girl when I got a VHS of Pixies stuff from Mark Warehouse last year.
never hooked up a VCR so fast in all my life :)
Go to Top of Page

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  14:59:42  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by mun chien andalusia

Good Charlotte, n.:
    See: "mediocre Green Day"

---
There's a reason there's a banana in my ear. I'm trying to lure the monkey out of my head.
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  15:10:51  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Chroneos

quote:
Originally posted by mun chien andalusia

Good Charlotte, n.:
    See: "mediocre Green Day"

I thought that Green Day were mediocre themselves.I suppose G.C are some stupid pop-punk band...What a lame name for a band though...Are they named after the Iron Maiden song "Charlotte the Harlot"?

www.munchienandalusia.too.it
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  15:21:55  Show Profile
that was chris rock's joke "good charlotte is more like a mediocre green day" and the reason that was even more funny is because he knows that green day were/are shitty.
Go to Top of Page

Narrator
- FB Fan -

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  16:39:59  Show Profile
Could be worse. Ever heard the Papa Roach cover of Gouge Away?

If not, Don't.
Go to Top of Page

CaptainMaximus
- FB Fan -

126 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  18:02:28  Show Profile
After hearing about how 4ad has treated their artists, and how they handled the first 2 FB solo albums, I'd tell that company to stuff it up their a** and go somewhere else with the reformed group. How satisfyng would that be for FB? 4ad's a washed-up husk of what it used to be anyway. Can anyone here seriously name anyone on their current roster besides the Breeders? Or is Thorwing Muses still on there? Point is, 4ad ain't what it used to be, and now that Pixies are out of their contract, why would they go back to that?
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  18:35:32  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto

Here's something I dug up from a different forum talking about Kim Deal and talking about the four of them getting together a few years back.

Maybe what Kim says is true, I can remember Frank mentionning in an interview that David has now lost interest in playing in a band.... not sure how that would cause ill feeling though as Frank has David opening for him on occasional tours.

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  18:39:55  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Narrator

Could be worse. Ever heard the Papa Roach cover of Gouge Away?

If not, Don't.

Aaarghhhhhhhhhh....I can't believe that such a horror actually exists......

"Protect me from what i want"
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  18:51:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by blarg007

-good or bad journalism aside there may be a reason the actual 'officials' are not mentioned-has anyone seen this sheer volume of rampant rumour concerning this before? -as far as seeming so official and widespread i mean.

boy, something seems awful official about this news as articles like this are popping up left and right with the word 'official' all over

That is the biggest joke of an article I have ever seen. This is just like that telephone game. It starts off with an unconfirmed report and now they're saying the Pisies have announced it via a spokesperson. Sure, there are a lot of articles about this, but they all say the same thing. Fucking MTV or whatever started it and everyone's going along even though they still can't name this "spokesperson". It's the same article every time, but they keep on distorting it.
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  19:29:02  Show Profile
twice i have read here that 4AD 'distanced' itself from all this when in fact they don't
know what's actually going on is what they are saying and for me this is somewhat an important area because if they do re-form i would think they want to do it on their own terms
and public perception to reflect that without doubt.
possible scenario is that they can do this without a major label and boy would that be a feat
i suppose there are many ways it could be done but by building on the way the band/business
thing has evolved in the last ten years they could be the penultimate example of snubbing the fatcats if they did tour and do an LP without the usual conglomo names attached.

..and then they'd be the fatcats we all love the most.

R
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  19:54:02  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage

i'll believe it when i hold the tickets in my hands.
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  21:27:10  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMaximus

After hearing about how 4ad has treated their artists, and how they handled the first 2 FB solo albums, I'd tell that company to stuff it up their a** and go somewhere else with the reformed group. How satisfyng would that be for FB? 4ad's a washed-up husk of what it used to be anyway. Can anyone here seriously name anyone on their current roster besides the Breeders? Or is Thorwing Muses still on there? Point is, 4ad ain't what it used to be, and now that Pixies are out of their contract, why would they go back to that?

This is a very dumb, uninformed opinion. Gosh, you heard somewhere that some shit went down. What a bunch of bastards! GRRRR, EVIL 4AD, THEY ARE THE HENCHMEN OF SATAN HIMSELF! I'm sure that:

a) Everyone makes mistakes

b) If the Label has made past mistakes, you're not in the position to objectively criticise these.

c) The Label has done a lot of great things that you don't know about/are ignoring.

As for current 4AD artists, The Mountain Goats are brilliant.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  22:38:24  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Here's a point that was touched on that's kind of interesting:

4AD moving back the release date of the Pixies DVD...can anyone confirm there was a real 'legit' reason for this, or might this be tied into this...??
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  00:10:28  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by NimrodsSon

quote:
Originally posted by blarg007

That is the biggest joke of an article I have ever seen. This is just like that telephone game. It starts off with an unconfirmed report and now they're saying the Pisies have announced it via a spokesperson. Sure, there are a lot of articles about this, but they all say the same thing. Fucking MTV or whatever started it and everyone's going along even though they still can't name this "spokesperson". It's the same article every time, but they keep on distorting it.

Agreed. This article was nothing but a mediocre history lesson. Notice no individual writer had the balls to put their name on that crap...

haben Sie andere Euterzahntrieb?
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  00:29:45  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

4AD moving back the release date of the Pixies DVD...can anyone confirm there was a real 'legit' reason for this, or might this be tied into this...??

You can find answers to this in the Pixies forum.

Do a search!
Go to Top of Page

jo
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  04:18:38  Show Profile  Visit jo's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

ok, I've scanned through the last lot of 4ad related posts, and I'll try answer as best I can...

the DVD was moved back, because as it stands at the moment, its still a long way off completion. It will be out in 2004, but having only got the last part of the compilation, plus a copy of the Head On video in the last month, its not something thats being put together right now. Plus we have v23 and them getting the artwork done (because bear in mind that they're also doing artwork for releases due this year, which I guess would take priority). To get a proper campaign for the DVD together, it involves different lead-in times. The US being the longest. At the moment, to schedule it would put it right in the middle of all the Christmas campaigns.

4ad as a label wants to make sure that it gets good racking in the stores. Around Christmas time you're not going to get much at all (unless you're willing to pay astronomical prices, which quite frankly, having seen them a few years back are just not worth it unless you're in the Top 10). As far as music DVD's go, the last thing anyone wants to see is stores putting a Pixies DVD straight into the a to z section, because there's (as they see it) bigger items to rack out there. That's not a reason other than a general one, its not just the Pixies, thats why a lot of companies choose to hold back important releases into a new year.

It makes sense to make a DVD as important as this (because it will be more than just a fanbase release, you will get people who are curious, I'm sure and I swear that it will get amazing reviews and people may buy on the back of this) get the best racking in stores, and keep it there for as long as it is humanly possible. I'm confident that whats on the DVD makes for a fucking great disc - I'd buy it. I'd buy my friends copies as presents.

Captain Maximus and Blarg, I've posted elsewhere a hypothetical "if the Pixies reform, then any new records are highly unlikely to come out via 4ad, as the band are no longer signed. it would be more likely SpinArt and Cooking Vinyl who are FB's current labels" so I think although you're entitled to say what you want about anything, its not really relevant. 4ad only hold rights for the existing catalogue that's out there, except for the Purple Tape.

hope that ties up a few loose ends...
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  04:47:55  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
The Oracle has once again enlightened the masses!

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000