Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 TOTY - The Musical (this is not a joke!)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

big_galoof
= Cult of Ray =

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  21:45:22  Show Profile  Visit big_galoof's Homepage
You heard it here first.

Entertainment Weekly reports in its October 25th issue:

Whistlin' Pixies
by Brian M. Rafferty

The Pixies' abrasive melodies may seem an unlikely choice for an ABBA-style musical, but the stage is being set for a show based on the life of lead singer (and '80s college-rock legend) Frank Black. Written and directed by Josh Frank (who assisted the producer of the Janis Joplin biopic play "Love, Janis"), "Teenager of the Year" will include tunes from Black's solo career and his time fronting the Boston-bred rockers. "It's sort of a Beat poem to the '80s [and] how alternative rock crashed the mainstream party," says Frank, who hopes to open the show Off Broadway in New York City next May or June. Frank has already met with many of Black's friends and colleagues - including ex-Pixies David Lovering and Joey Santiago. He even got the okay from the man in Black himself - after some initial skepticism: "When someone says, 'I'm doing a musical, and you're a major focus of it,' it's hard to take seriously," says Black. "It turns out that he had done a production of a Werner Herzog film ["Woyzeck"]. As soon as I read that, I thought, he's a legit arty-farty." This monkey's gone...to Broadway?

I repeat, this is not a joke.

laboriously transcribed by The Big Galoof

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  22:03:47  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address
holy shit
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2002 :  08:43:01  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address
Thanks for the labor Galoof, here's your peanut.

I know I read that somewhere before, so it is really gonna happen? Cool, I'll have front row seats.

"It's the Nexus of the Crisis"
BÖCswu
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2002 :  12:55:05  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage
Teenager of the Year: Original Cast Recording
my mom will want that for xmas

spem in alium
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2002 :  18:21:20  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
thats gonna be interesting,,,, I'd be well up for seeing TOTY musical.... I take it Frank will not be featured but a FRank impersonator???
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  12:52:54  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage
re-reported at:

http://pitchforkmedia.com/news/02-10/25.shtml

spem in alium
Go to Top of Page

johndietzel
= Cult of Ray =

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
464 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  21:04:23  Show Profile  Visit johndietzel's Homepage
I love Woyzek (have the DVD). The slo-mo death scene is creepy. So he did a musical version of it, I guess?

"Hard not to have fun when you're hitting balls halfway to the moon."
Dusty Baker
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2002 :  08:34:08  Show Profile
I'm not a huge Woyzek fan, I'm a massive Herzog fan though. Strozek, Aguirre, Fitzcarroldo, Kaspar Hauser, and Even Dwarves Started Small are brilliant.

For the record, Woyzek was a play a long time before Herzog did it, so making a play of a play that got made into a movie isn't really "doing a play of a Herzog production" or whatever they called it.
Go to Top of Page

johndietzel
= Cult of Ray =

464 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  00:15:21  Show Profile  Visit johndietzel's Homepage
I have not seen, but certainly am to dying to see, Kaspar Hauser and Strozek. Man, that final shot in Aguirre with the monkeys and circling the raft over and over--amazing. So have you seen the documentary on Fitzcarraldo? I guess it would probably be redundant, as the film itself is pretty much a documentary.

Yeah, I'm aware that Woyzeck was adapted from a play by Buchner or something, but I assume the dude's production was of Herzog's version. I haven't read the original play, but when I described the story to a German girl who was studying the play, she said it was a significant departure.

A perfect example of this would be Herzog's own "remake" of Nosferatu which is obviously not faithful to Bram Stoker's novel, but was itself based on Murnau's adaptation.

So, "for the record," it's perfectly plausible for a play based on an adaptation of a play to be its own unique production. I mean, right?

Dusty Baker
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  01:01:35  Show Profile
john, yeah.. the FITZCARRALDO doc is called BURDON OF DREAMS, by Les Blank. it's more interesting than the film itself. and after seeing it, then you can re-watch FITZCARRALDO and that becomes 100 times more interesting.

if either of you haven't seen it, you HAVE to see MY BEST FIEND. it's probably my favorite Herzog, when it comes down to it. it's his documentary (came out in 1999) about his insane relationship working with Klaus Kinski on 6 films. Klaus Kinski is fucking insane!!!!!!! but then, Herzog has a few hang-ups too.

it's one of the most hilarious films i've ever seen.. and it's kind of touching too. some of the things that happend on Herzog's set with Kinski are unbelievable. between BURDON and FIEND, you'll really get a clear picture of the kind of person Herzog is..

and while we're at it.. another interesting one, if you can find it (if you haven't already seen it) is WERNER HERZOG EATS HIS SHOE, also by Les Blank. which is basically Herzog litearlly boiling and then eating his leather boot.

apparantly there was a bet beteween Herzog and Blank; Herzog told Blank that if he ever finished his film (can't remember which one), which was taking forever, he'd eat his shoe. and he made good..

personally, i can respect anyone who will eat their own shoe. it doesn't get much more punk rock than that.

long live Herzog..

Floop (i love accidentally hitting "reset form")
Go to Top of Page

johndietzel
= Cult of Ray =

464 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  15:30:44  Show Profile  Visit johndietzel's Homepage
I do want to see My Best Fiend cause I don't want to read Kinski's autobio and I do want to see them behind-the-scenes. I have heard about the "Herzog Eats His Shoe" one, and I actually thought the bet was for the Fitzcarraldo "documentary." I think I remember Herzog saying that, or I read it.

One of Herzog's "hang-ups" does appear to be his inability to distinguish between truth and fantasy when speaking. This is from listening to the DVD commentaries.

Dusty Baker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000