New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spartacus
- FB Fan -

Australia
84 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  02:10:22  Show Profile
Dont know if this has been mentioned yet or what to make of this but found it on mtv site :

Legendary Pixies To Reunite For Tour, Album
09.09.2003 8:54 PM EDT

The Pixies
Photo: 4AD

The Eagles declared "Hell Freezes Over" when they reunited a few years ago, and indie rock fans are about to feel the same way.

In April, the legendary Pixies will reunite for the first time in over a decade. The notoriously quarrelsome quartet have buried the hatchet, clearing the way for all four original members to hop onstage together for a world tour, according to a spokesperson for the band.

If all goes as planned, the triumphant return of one of the most influential rock bands of the late '80s might also be followed by a new studio album, the source said. The band has not yet gotten together to begin rehearsing for the tour, but, given their ugly breakup in 1993, the announcement is one of the most unlikely and anticipated reunions in the history of indie rock.

Singer/guitarist Black Francis (real name Charles Michael Kitteridge Thompson IV), bassist/singer Kim Deal, guitarist Joey Santiago and drummer David Lovering got together in Boston as the Pixies in 1986. The band immediately gained a cult following and critical acclaim for their signature blend of screaming punk noise, surf influences and jagged guitar riffs mixed with impossible-to-ignore melodic hooks and Francis’ bizarre lyrics about space, sex, religion and mutilation.

Their debut EP, Come on Pilgrim, was released in 1987, followed by 1988's abrasively catchy full-length debut, Surfer Rosa. By the time they recorded Doolittle that same year with producer Gil Norton (who, thanks to his work with the Pixies, would go on to produce everyone from Foo Fighters to the Distillers), the buzz on the Pixies was deafening. The band scored modern rock hits from that album with the songs "Monkey Gone to Heaven" and "Here Comes Your Man."

Tensions were already running high in 1990 when the Pixies went on hiatus and Francis mounted a solo tour. Deal formed the Breeders with former Throwing Muses member Tanya Donelly as an outlet for her songs, which she was struggling to get onto Pixies albums. Her inability to share the recorded spotlight with Francis was one of the primary reasons for her strained relations with the enigmatic singer.

The Pixies came back together in late 1990 to record Bossanova with Norton, but personality clashes continued, inspiring Deal to announce from the stage that the band was breaking up during an English date in support of the album.

Despite her proclamation, the group held things together long enough to record 1991's Trompe Le Monde. They went out on their final U.S. tour during the spring of 1992 when they opened for U2 on the massive Zoo TV extravaganza. Following those dates, they again went on hiatus as Francis recorded his solo debut and Deal cut an EP with the Breeders.

Francis changed his name to Frank Black later that year (inspiring the name of the lead character in the apocalyptic television series "Millennium") and faxed the group a statement announcing their breakup. He went on to record a string of often bizarre solo albums that aimed for the same mix of noise and melody as the Pixies, but failed to connect with a mass audience. Deal scored a hit in 1993 with the unexpectedly popular Breeders single "Cannonball," while Lovering and Santiago formed a group called the Martinis in 1995.

Ironically, the very alternative rock sound the Pixies helped to revolutionize exploded onto the public consciousness soon after their demise, with bands such as Nirvana paying frequent and loving tribute to their heroes.

In July, Black told London's XFM Radio that he still dreams about a Pixies reunion and he revealed that the group occasionally gets together for informal jam sessions, "but not for public consumption." Black said his fantasies of a reunion were like "those schoolboy dreams when you don’t do your homework and you don't study for the test. I’m at the gig and we’re hanging out, but it's an utter failure and I don't know the songs and hardly anyone turns up for the gig and people walk out. That’s what I'm afraid of ... that it'd be a big, big failure."

For a look back at the way the Pixies were, check out the MTV News feature "Death to the Pixies."

-Gil Kaufman

Dont know what to make of it. Here's the website:
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1478034/20030909/pixies.jhtml?headlines=true

cheers

[moved]

Edited by - El Barto on 09/10/2003 11:56:30

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  02:15:21  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Yeah! 4th time this article is printed on the forum in 12 hours! I think that's a record.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  02:26:45  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
Oh Lord, I hope this is true!

I'd kill to see the Pixies live...KILL!!!! *glares*...err....umm... I didn't mean kill...I only meant maim...hehe.

I don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  06:00:59  Show Profile
Mixed feelings about this, but overall I am very EXCITED! Let's see if it turns out to be true or not.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  06:51:46  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
according to jo from 4ad, she thinks its bullshit

i hope she's right

-brian
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  07:00:57  Show Profile
this is depressing
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  07:35:45  Show Profile
pitchfork media grabbed the ball and ran with it-
with so little real info why would one assume 4AD WOULD
know anything -they could be as we speak talking to bloodshot
records for all we know.
more likely a megaglobochem like sony as the offer must be sweet..
assuming anything is going on of course.
In a lot of ways now does seem a ripe time -i mean look at the state
of pop music and radio etc. right now: ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC.
-nothing has staying power as seen from the view point of the running
scared globochem exec scrambling for a sure thing.
i just think that if there is credence to any of this that there is
definitely a good up-front offer and more.
i would like to add some more pixies material to the racks and i
just see it evetually happening -if you had a chance to get a good
healthcare package and a nest egg -without working like a zombie slave
day in, day out FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE (now THAT'S DEPRESSING..)
-wouldn't you if you were them?

R

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/10/2003 07:37:19
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  07:38:03  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Dave, what've you got for us? I'm not sure I buy it yet, but we shall see...

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  08:33:48  Show Profile
Charles is probably having a good laugh over this.
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  09:39:01  Show Profile
http://www.dotmusic.com/news/September2003/news30773.asp
it does appear to be pretty thin material
-noone from either camp can explain 'a spokesperson for the band'
as yet, so yeah i'm sure he is laughing either way
-soon to be doing it all the way to the bank if it's true,
surely still if not.

R
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  09:39:19  Show Profile
word is certainly travelling fast about this.. it's fucking ALL OVER the place.

my stance remains the same. i'm totally opposed to it, but i'll fucking go in a heartbeat.

i just feel like, if it happens, how could it be anything other than a money gig?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  09:58:33  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Hey, if he can get them to mention he has a new album out, at least it'll generate some publicity for it. Seems coincidental that such a report is issued the day of the release...

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  11:42:08  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
I don't know if I buy this. The vague quoting of a "Pixies spokesperson" is reminiscent of shaky paparazzi-infused rumor publication. I think it's a crock of shit.

Not that I wouldn't go to the show.......

~Our children are all released, since the river flushed them clean~ ---> http://psychictwin.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  11:44:32  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
Here we go again....
Go to Top of Page

Old Neptuna
- FB Fan -

Ireland
200 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  11:55:35  Show Profile
All been said but.......

If this gig ever did happen, I would definitely get my sleeping bag and camp outside Ticketmaster, or wherever, at least a week before the tickets went on sale. In the rain. With no toilet breaks.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  11:56:00  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I'm completely opposed to it, I'm depressed like the rest of you. I can't imagine seeing this happen...with all the positive reviews over SMYT? It's such a great album, what good could possibly come from a Pixies reunion tour? I hate reunion tours...there's just something about them that I really don't like. It's like, when a band breaks up, that's it...don't mess with history, you know? You scar the legend of the band. All further discussion goes here:

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2883

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000