New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1462 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  05:45:39  Show Profile
anyone have any predictions on how SMYT will do at the register? i absolutely love the album and think it will do very well- probably the best out of the Catholics albums. these songs have broader appeal and are very catchy- hopefully frank gets some well deserved radio play. i'm thinking this album will attract many new fans that will subsequently go out and purchase the rest of franks work and think to themselves "how could i not have known about this guy, he's a fuckin musical god!"

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  07:02:37  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
I don't know how it's gonna do in the USA, looks like there have been a lot of very good reviews. Here in France, apart from a couple of lines on amazon.fr, I still haven't read anything about SMYT. Frank is distributed by Naive here, and I think they really suck. Hell, they don't even have a fucking web site!

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  08:00:51  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Some of the British reviews have been very favorable to Frank so far. It will be interesting to see what those wankers at the NME write about the new album though.... no doubt they'll give it the usual 4 / 10 and tell Frank to grow up.

Bacon....... Its not fantastic
Go to Top of Page

leokearse
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  11:36:23  Show Profile  Visit leokearse's Homepage
Fuckin NME...don't get me started. It used to be my bible, about 10 years ago, now it looks like Pokemon weekly or something, it's so thin and small and colourful. And inside it's all top ten ringtones and stuff instead of articles and reviews. And any articles are pish sycophantic blabbage about dull dull bands or the hot new wanksteins from Deeetroit. Totally clutching at straws. NME people, if you can hear, get your paper back to the good old days. I mean I'd still buy it for the crossword but I'm too embarrassed to, the mag looks that bad.

- Leo
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  05:59:13  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
I am not optimistic about it...Most probably he will sell about 100.000 copies worldwide.Here in Italy in all record stores that i asked for the new Frank Black album they didn't even know who he was,and when i told them that he was the Pixies singer they tried to sell me Death to The Pixies that was the only album of Pixies/F.B they had...

www.munchienandalusia.too.it
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  07:46:51  Show Profile
I don't know if it's jsut because I'm more aware of Frank Black now (I'm only just starting to get into him, and I've only been a Pixies fan for a relatively short time), but I hear him mentioned all over the place, radio, magazines etc. I think he might be making a come back, (even though he has been around since the Pixies).

Who knows... I hope he does well though.
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  09:23:15  Show Profile
100.000 worldwide is pretty damn good actually, do you really think he'd sell that much?
Go to Top of Page

Chroneos
- FB Fan -

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  09:33:31  Show Profile  Visit Chroneos's Homepage
By any indication of Louisville, this is the most promotion I've seen him get with the Catholics, but I rarely shop at the mainstream mall music shops.

---
Okay, so until next time, who put the 'ween' in Halloween? I don't know, probably you, you freakin' weirdo.
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  18:42:24  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
I reckon it might sell more than usual as he seems to be getting more respect from the press, which will hopefully expand his fanbase. Has NME done a review of the album, I'd be interested in seeing what tripe they can come up with this time around. Maybe they'll claim that David Lovering was the driving force behind the Pixies, or that it was Kelley Deal as Kim stole all of the ideas from her sister.... or something as ridiculous as that. I reckon the job description for an NME reviewer must say something like 'Must be a complete cretin who knows fuck all (trying to beat El Barto's cussing record here) about music.... other than Nu Metal.'

It's Monday morning and I'm in a bad mood!

Are NME still raving on about Nu Metal?

Bacon....... Its not fantastic
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  00:35:28  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
I'm really interested to hear what picthforkmedia.com say about it.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  01:38:43  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Yeah, I think 100,000 is a lot. I might be wrong, but I remember someone (was it Sarah?) said BLD & DW combined sold about 30,000 copies in the USA.
BTW, I bought Rolling Stone today (French edition) because they had Frank's name on the cover. It turned out I spent 5 euros for nothing, cause the article is only 1/3 of a page (!) filled with stupidities (damn pricks seem to say his wife left him because his records didn't sell!), but anyway, at least they don't say anything bad about the album, and there's a half-page ad for the record a couple of pages further.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  22:16:06  Show Profile
Pitchforkmedia will give it a 7.1 That's my prediction. They'll also say lots of complimentary things about the guy but complain about how conventional the music has become. Hopefully it will be one of their funny non-serious reviews, like the seem to like doing about Frank's solo work (They realize how tiresome and formulaic a lot of Frank reviews are) and not get into their intellectual hipster crap that a lot of their new reviews have been reflecting (and new writers). Basically, I'm on the fence with Pitchfork. I love their news section though, funny and informative...their reviews on the other hand can be pretty condescending..but at least Chris Ott isn't with them anymore.
Go to Top of Page

surrys
- FB Fan -

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  12:19:03  Show Profile

i bought the one and only copy in stock at our local independent record store, which they hadn't even grouped with the rest of the new releases... and which they sold to me a day before the official release date. it's good shit, obviously, but i don't have high hopes for it in terms of sales.
Go to Top of Page

PearlJamaholic
- FB Fan -

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  14:44:41  Show Profile
i got mine at best buy and they had a couple copies. about as many as they had when the purple tape was released. so my guess is they are looking at sales of about they same.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  09:45:04  Show Profile
is there any way of finding out how well it's doing?
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  11:21:21  Show Profile
the HMV store in dublin was playing it last sunday and monday. that obviously means lots of people will get to hear some of it.

i'd give up smoking... but im not a quitter.
Go to Top of Page

leokearse
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  07:04:35  Show Profile  Visit leokearse's Homepage
It went in at number 17 on the UK indie chart...what does this mean? How many albums do the Catholics sell?

- Leo
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1462 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  18:33:48  Show Profile
i went in to hmv to get a copy yesterday. (yes i am embarassed that i wasn't at the record store on sept. 9) but anyways, they didn't even have it in stock yet. the record dude said it hasn't been released yet? how in the fuck is frank going to get descent record sales if they don't even stock the album? can i just send money directly to frnck blck and get my original copy? show me your tears? i tell you i was shedding some tears in that record store (if you want to call it that).

so anyways i bought ween's quebec. pretty good. they didn't even have this displayed. the guy had to go search for it in the back. i'll be back next week to a new store to get my copy of SMYT's.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  12:36:50  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
quote:
so anyways i bought ween's quebec. pretty good. they didn't even have this displayed. the guy had to go search for it in the back.

That was how it was when I bought BLD and DW, as well as the Neko Case album that came out the same day. This was at Borders. Honestly, don't they realize they'd sell more copies if people could FIND the damned things?

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  00:55:39  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
My mate has got me a copy in England and will be bringing it over to me in a couple of weeks..... he didn't seem to have a problem finding it in the UK stores.

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

leokearse
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  03:39:07  Show Profile  Visit leokearse's Homepage
I bought mine at play.com but I'm now feeling bad in case this means the label and FB+C get less money than if I went to HMV. Oh yeah, and I feel bad coz I been selling copies of it out of the boot of my car.

- Leo
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  05:13:53  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Itchload

Pitchforkmedia will give it a 7.1 That's my prediction. They'll also say lots of complimentary things about the guy but complain about how conventional the music has become. Hopefully it will be one of their funny non-serious reviews, like the seem to like doing about Frank's solo work (They realize how tiresome and formulaic a lot of Frank reviews are) and not get into their intellectual hipster crap that a lot of their new reviews have been reflecting (and new writers). Basically, I'm on the fence with Pitchfork. I love their news section though, funny and informative...their reviews on the other hand can be pretty condescending..but at least Chris Ott isn't with them anymore.

Yeah, I would't be surprised if they gave it about that, which is still pretty good for Pitchfork. Hahaha, oh man, some of their reviews are the most boring, pretentious, self worshipping, egotistical articles on the entire internet. Some of the reviewers on that website are completely full of themselves, and seem to use reviews primarily as a vechile to convey to the world just how big of an indie elitist snob they are. I disagree with a lot of what they say and think they are often completely full of shit.

And with all that said, it is still my favourite music website on the internet and I read it very regularly. Go figure
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  06:51:36  Show Profile
The bastards still haven't reviewd it. I hope this means the reviewer has been given more time with the album. I read Pitchfork all the time as well, even though I have the same reactions to it you do. Have you ever been to their message board? Not all bad, but some of the people there are so indie-bitchy, and it's one of those webboards that's inexplicably wary of "newbies" (i have yet to post there).
I'm thinking the new FB hasn't been reviewed yet 'cause of the Pixies stuff, they might be waiting for an official word so they can incorporate it into the review.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  07:12:47  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Just wanted to say that SMYT made it to #45 in this week's sales chart at the Fnac (something like the French HMV), and #8 in the pop/rock charts. That's not bad.

Denis

"I'm in the Cult of Frank/Now how the hell do I get out?"
Go to Top of Page

stephensolo
- FB Fan -

41 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  07:28:28  Show Profile  Visit stephensolo's Homepage
smyt is at #10 right now on the cmj college radio charts. a good position for him. i dont think his last few albums broke the top 10.
Go to Top of Page

massif snake
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  09:01:24  Show Profile  Visit massif snake's Homepage  Click to see massif snake's MSN Messenger address
well, no.17 in indie charts probably isnt very many at all. but i think he'll get prolongd sales- like, differnet generations will be "discovering" frank black for years

have sex with the nuns at my school.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000