How to promote my band?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MiscellaneousFiles
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  03:01:33  Show Profile  Visit MiscellaneousFiles's Homepage  Click to see MiscellaneousFiles's MSN Messenger address
I'm in a cheesy band, named Hollister http://www.anthonypaynter.com/hollister. We've been playing guitar together for a long time, and late last year we started recording songs for an album. Getting together every couple of weekends, we managed to finish work on it in March this year. I'm pretty pleased with the results, despite the fact that it's not really my kind of music. My bandmate writes and sings the majority of the songs and I tend to play guitar & bass, programme the drums, set up the recording / engineering / mastering and handle all the branding (website, letterheads, CD sleeves etc).

It's difficult to describe the music really, but I'd say it's vaguely reminiscent of Dire Straits - the sort of music your dad would probably like.

Well we've got to that stage of putting a demo together and trying to promote it. Not an easy thing to do in the current climate. So I'd like some advice about where to go from here.

How do we get our music heard?

Radio - BBC Local stations which have an unsigned hour might be a good bet. Any suggestions?

Record Companies - I have no idea where to start here. I've searched the web briefly and turned up a pile of addresses, but it's pretty random. Any suggestions?

Begging Letter - I've written something pretty bland, but I don't know if it's really the right thing. Any suggestions? I need to know what to write, what to send and who to send it to...

Any other tips for getting your music heard?

Listen to our tracks:

Negative Return:
http://www.anthonypaynter.com/hollister/audio/NegativeReturn.mp3]
Gutter Press:
http://www.anthonypaynter.com/hollister/audio/GutterPress.mp3
Fatal Error:http://www.anthonypaynter.com/hollister/audio/FatalError.mp3].

Please bear in mind that these are very early mixes - the only versions I currently have online.

Edited by - MiscellaneousFiles on 07/28/2003 03:02:33

JamesM
= Cult of Ray =

308 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  08:50:32  Show Profile
I'm not sure how this works in the UK, but as far as the United States goes, the only thing you can really do is tour. You can send in a demo to a record label if you want (it certainly won't hurt anything), but the most it will do is that if the label likes you, they'll check you out if you're in the area playing a show.

It takes a long time, and a lot of hard work. Hard work that I am far too lazy to commit myself to. Best of luck to you and your band, and here's hoping for the best.

-Jimmy M.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  12:14:45  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Aye, play shows, play shows, and then play more shows. Become friends with other bands, and play shows with them.

Hardly anyone got famous 'recording'.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  15:13:16  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Step 1: Don't suck.

I'm not saying you suck, I haven't heard your music nor visited your site, but I can tell you it's a lot easier to get people to like you if you don't suck. And yes..tour tour tour and network. Go out, play shows, meet other bands whom you could play with in the future as an opening act or vice versa. There are several good books to read...the music business one by Donald Passman, How To Be Your Own Booking Agent is another good one...covers a lot of useful info. From the way I see it, bands rarely get signed by recording a good album...it's the music business, it's about image and marketability. It's fucking disgusting. I say go at it your own, fuck labels.

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  15:21:53  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I'm not sure why you'd want to be in a band you consider cheesy and that doesn't play your kind of music, but that being said, I like the cover art especially in relation to the title. Post it in the libertarian thread. :) Though I can't say I care for the title track in anywhere near the same way...

Oh yeah, how to get publicity, umm, I'd have to say that playing live is probably the best way. Plus a lot more fun than being in the studio - we do the latter, but only out of necessity and hopefully not forever.
Go to Top of Page

Brackish
- FB Fan -

142 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  16:39:12  Show Profile  Visit Brackish's Homepage
You can get a lot of good info at http://www.starpolish.com A lot of their stuff in just common sense, but reading it can help in keeping you focused.

The previous posts regarding playing lots of shows and not sucking are also right on the money.
Go to Top of Page

MiscellaneousFiles
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  01:26:42  Show Profile  Visit MiscellaneousFiles's Homepage  Click to see MiscellaneousFiles's MSN Messenger address
Thanks guys...

It's all appreciated. Believe me - we're trying not to suck! And we have some dates booked for later in the year.

About the music not being "my thing" - as I said, my bandmate writes most of it but I do enjoy playing it. It's just not the kind of thing I'd write if left alone with a guitar. You can sense the "musical differences" excuse coming up already can't you?

Go to Top of Page

eebee
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  15:21:11  Show Profile  Visit eebee's Homepage
hey man
im in uk band called the cosy molars
where you based at?
www.mp3.com/the_cosy_molars
thecosymolars@hotmail.com

tour[so far]
redcar leos-13th aug
stockton ku bar-14th aug
hartlepool the studio[showcase gig}-20th aug
tfm radio-in session[durham] -7th sep

www.mp3.com/the_cosy_molars -please download the cosy molars demo ep off soulseek to give us a hand
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2204
Go to Top of Page

MiscellaneousFiles
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  01:45:31  Show Profile  Visit MiscellaneousFiles's Homepage  Click to see MiscellaneousFiles's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by eebee

hey man im in uk band called the cosy molars
where you based at?

We're in Newbury, Berks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000