Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  09:24:47  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Apparently eating meat does not increase penis size as Thalassocrat has demonstrated.

I am what's called a "Pesco Vegetarian" which means I eat seafood, but no other meats. I've been one for 10 years and I feel fine.

I decided to stop eating meat for ecological reasons. Basically, raising cattle and chickens is a wasteful use of land and resources. Not only does it ruin the land so nothing can be grown on it, but livestock also consume 99% of the grain produced in this country (feel free to correct my percentages as my data is a bit old.) I read a statement that if Americans reduced their meat intake by 10% that we'd have enough grain left over to feed the 6 million people who starve to death every year.

I didn't start out being vegetarian because I thought eating meat was wrong. All I have to do is watch a snake swallow a mouse alive to understand that nature is cruel and predatory. I think it's egotistical to think humans are any different but at the same time, after being vegetarian for 10 years I've grown empathetic towards animal suffering. I eat only free-range eggs and am careful when selecting seafood because that industry is fucking things up as well. I got a cool ecologically friendly seafood guide from the Monteray Aquarium. I'd like to switch to soy milk entirely, but I can't stand my coffee and tea without some 1%, so I buy organic milk whenever I can afford to.

Here's an interesting quote on the subject:

One farmer says to me, "You cannot live on vegetable food solely, for it furnishes nothing to make bones with"; and so he religiously devotes a part of his day to supplying his system with the raw material of bones; walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, which, with vegetable-made bones, jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle.

Henry David Thoreau - Walden

Finally, tofu tastes great. You have to either get it fresh, or know how to cook it. When it's fresh, I could eat it raw. Packaged tofu tends to taste a bit sour and needs more help. I also think Smart Dogs are fantastic and Morning Star Corn Dogs as well. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. When I'm on the road, I plan my eating around Taco Bell locations.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  09:27:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

Thanks for the confimation Barry, tho just because you're a microbiologist i'm gonna have to call in the big guns.

thats no problem dave - thought id offer what i could.
also another point - i dont drink milk (as i am allergic to dairy products) - so i drink soya instead. does anyone think that having to process a natural product to that extent to make it safe is - well, unnatural? and finally - imho this is turning into one of the most factually interesting threads i have read here for some time.

Is your work done? Are all pigs fed, watered and ready to fly?....
- David Brent

Edited by - bazza on 07/16/2003 09:33:18
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  09:40:56  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Atheist4Catholics

I am what's called a "Pesco Vegetarian" which means I eat seafood, but no other meats. I've been one for 10 years and I feel fine.

www.mp3.com/clootie

Did anyone notice that Frank keeps talking about being a "fishaterian" in his most recent interviews? BTW, I do believe that fishaterian is the correct scientific term, Tim. ;-) {note to scientists--I'm kidding!}

All the Morningstar Farms stuff is good. My daughter loves their "sausage" and we eat a fair amount of Boca stuff around here too.

Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  09:45:19  Show Profile
I LOVE Boca burgers. The best vegetarian burgers I've ever had are at a resturaunt called houstons
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  09:50:09  Show Profile

Dave, i respect that you respect other animals. I feel i do so myself. I have major problems with the way animals are treated in almost all of the meat-industry. It is this "ultimate" respect thing that I have problems with, and this "logically consistent" thing. You can't go from "is" (what humans might be - if anyone knows) to "should, which I'm sure you know Hume commented a long time ago.

Second, I have problems with anyone, be it you or erebus or thalassocrat, trying to back up moral decissions with "empirical evidence". It should not matter wether vegan or eatmeater, gay or hetero - is biologically based or not. If you feel gay, it's ok. If you want to avoid food from animals - it's ok. You don't need a "Go" from science to do that. If you want to base your decissions on "science", you'll get into troubles sooner or later. The same goes for the idea that "it is not natural" for us to eat meat, or "natural" to live north. It's the same thinking process that suppressed women for ages, or lead to prejudice against gays. As humans, we are able to constitute for ourselves how we want things to be - regardless of the biological conditions.

And finally, respect is not a highly regarded value in society if one looks at the prevalence of murder, rape, incest, poverty, prejudice - even war. Morals are supposed to guide actions. Fundamental for respect for animals (including humans) is the respect for other people's opinions. In that respect, talking about "ultimate respect" is as tolerant as talking about "the only god/way/religion".
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  09:50:30  Show Profile
houstons is great (if it's the same one i'm taking about).. i would never get a vegi burger there though when they've got all those great steaks..
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  10:09:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

Thanks for the confimation Barry, tho just because you're a microbiologist i'm gonna have to call in the big guns.

Derek - you're the Tabmaster, what do you have to say about all this amino acid talk? =)

Well, being a qualified "A" student in Biology 111: General Biology ...

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  11:36:39  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Surprisingly, Johnny Rocket's makes a fabulous veggie burger. It's probably because it's cooked on the same part of the grill as the meat burgers, but I can't confirm this. I hate when restaurants serve those bird seed veggie burgers that have no protein whatsoever. Burger King's is like that. Johnny Rockets serves a soy pattie. McDonalds in NYC serves a soy pattie as well (not a far stretch from their 50% soy "beef" patties) but on both occasions I've had them, I've had to use the jaws of life to get my crap out of my ass.

I hope that's not understating it.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  12:22:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ivandivel

A small note regarding wether we're carnivores or not; I read somewhere that one could get a good indication of this just by looking at the location of the eyes on the animal. Like carnivores (and maybe some omnivores - i dont know), our eyes are placed in the front of face - ideal for tracking something down or following prey. Hunted animals usually (if not always) have more space between their eyes - usually placed on the side - so that they can keep track of possible dangers. I have no idea wether this notion is correct or not, but it's an interesting thought.

As a "qualified" evolutionary biologist, I can say this is generally correct, and is particularly apparent in fish. Sharks front of head, little fishies sides of the head. In mammals the teeth are a better indication. Humans are omnivores, and that's why we have such a diverse set of teeth.

As others have said, I don't think we should use our evolutionary history to determine what is right and wrong. We have eaten meat in our history, but that does not mean that we have to continue to (I do eat meat).
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  13:22:17  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I don't know, Darwin. I have difficulty believing you unless you go into a wild non-sensical angry and abrasive rant... :)

That's interesting about the front/side of the heads... never thought of that or heard it before.
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  13:39:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ivandivel

Like carnivores (and maybe some omnivores - i dont know), our eyes are placed in the front of face - ideal for tracking something down or following prey. Hunted animals usually (if not always) have more space between their eyes - usually placed on the side - so that they can keep track of possible dangers. I have no idea wether this notion is correct or not, but it's an interesting thought.

Accordingly, only predators always know where they're going. And we can assume Dave Noisy has his eyes on the sides of his head.
Go to Top of Page

Visiting Sasquatch
= Cult of Ray =

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  14:48:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by blackpurse
"If the concept of wet nurses grosses you out, how do you milk- cheese- and yogurt-eaters reconcile that with attaching an electric pump to a totally different species, then fermenting some of that with use of bacteria, and then eating that? When you think about it, that's kinda gross!"...

...and yet as fully grown humans we freely virtually nurse the udders/nipples of some bovine with nary a thought.

While I don't disagree with your views concerning breastfeeding children, public or not, mother or not...comparing the temporary mother/child feeding solution to adults drinking/eating dairy products are "apples and oranges!" If not, what do you think would happen if I went into Hooters and ordered milk from the waitress' breast? Also, I think the natural objection adults have to mothers milk is that it is a food product that comes from a human being, and it seems cannibalistic to consider it, whereas food products from animals, (whether it is meat or milk), is not as disagreeable.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  23:50:02  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Quick reply here:

Is it cannibalism if the person volunteers their body fluid?

When a girl (or guy) 'swallows', are they being cannibalistic?

Are human babies cannibalistic?

Don't really think so..at least on the latter two..
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  00:16:37  Show Profile

Ok, my last post on this subject and it might be a little exotic; I just remembered that the writings of Ernest Becker, the american anthropologist, has some relevance to the subject. Building on Kierkegaard, he claims that the main determinant of the human condition is how we deal with our fear of death. This we mostly do by denying that we are animals - organic beeings that will die and rot, while we struggle to maintain to ourselves that we are symbolic beeings - symbols usually outlive us. Thus, values and beliefs serve clear defensive purposes in his theory. This perspective has been shaped into a theory in social psychology - terror management theory. The terror to be managed is of course the knowledge that one one day will die. These people have done some cool experiments. For instance, when first exposed to death-related stimuli, people seek to distance themselves from animals more than people that haven't been exposed to such stimuli. There are several types of studies that in one way or the other confirm that we do not want to be associated with animmals.

Here's a small part of an article;

Goldenberg et al. (2001)

I am not an animal: Mortality salience, disgust, and the denial of human creatureliness
The Problem of Creatureliness

Journal of Experimental Psychology: General

…all systematizations of culture have in the end the same goal: to raise men above nature, to assure them that in some ways their lives count in the universe more than merely physical things count. (Ernest Becker, 1975, p. 4)

Terror management theory and research provides support for the proposition that humans employ a symbolic solution to cope with anxiety associated with the awareness of death. By clinging to sources of self-esteem or one's cultural (political, social, or religious) worldview, human beings can begin to escape their existential burden. However, one consequence of seeking a higher more meaningful existence is that any reminder of our corporeal condition is threatening. From our existential terror management perspective, the body is a particular problem for humans because it serves as a reminder of our animal limitations (cf. Goldenberg, Pyszczynski, Greenberg, & Solomon, 2000). Consequently, our bodies are subject to the rules and dictates espoused by our cultural worldview that serve to elevate them from their flesh and bones reality to a higher plane, as objects of beauty or dignity. Although cultures differ in prescriptions for what is proper and what is attractive, all cultures have such standards.

For example, whereas in Western culture excretory behavior is made proper by keeping it private, the men of the Chagga tribe in Tanzania wear an anal plug to pretend not to defecate (Becker, 1973). Menstruation is kept sanitary in our culture with an ever increasing number of consumer products, whereas some other cultures confine menstruating women to ceremonial menstrual huts (e.g., Benedict, 1959). Men and women of Central Africa view facial scars as attractive (and they will intentionally cut deep wounds in their face to attain such standards; Liggett, 1974), whereas in Western culture we use a great deal of time, money, and beauty products to hide any lines or blemishes that may appear on our skin (Brumberg, 1997). In these and many other ways, the body is transformed from something creaturely and material into something symbolic and ethereal. We suggest that human sexuality, in particular, is transformed from animal to symbolic by embedding it in a system of meaning (e.g., love and marriage) and value or self-esteem (e.g., being desired and being a stud; see Goldenberg, Pyszczynski, McCoy, Greenberg, & Solomon, 1999; and see Kass, 1994, for a similar conceptualization of eating behavior).

Disgust and Distancing From Animals

Rozin, Haidt, and colleagues (e.g., Haidt, Rozin, McCauley, & Imada, 1997; Rozin, Haidt, & McCauley, 1993) have accumulated an impressive array of developmental and cross-cultural research on the emotion of disgust. Although they suggest that disgust probably evolved out of an evolutionary advantage associated with aversive reactions to dangerous food products (e.g., bitter berries), they have theorized that, in humans, disgust is an ideological response to something that is offensive to the self because of its nature or origin, rather than because of a sensory response such as distaste (Fallon & Rozin, 1983). For example, although there is no danger or even distaste associated with drinking one's favorite juice after a dead, but sterilized, cockroach (or even a plastic replica) has been dipped in it, Rozin, Millman, and Nemeroff (1986) found that people are opposed to drinking the juice and declare that the juice is now “disgusting.” In contrast with distaste, an object that is deemed disgusting is thought to have the ability to contaminate other objects that come in contact with it. In contrast with danger, disgusting objects usually pose no real threat, but rather, just repulse us deeply.

Rozin et al. (1993) posited that core disgust is experienced in response to food products, body products, and some animals. For example, there is a universal aversion to feces (Angyal, 1941), and in all cultures, certain specific animals are considered disgusting and “inappropriate” to eat (Rozin et al., 1993). Rozin et al. suggested that these domains share in common that they remind us of our animalness; disgust can thus be understood as a defense against any reminder of our animal nature. Consistent with Angyal (1941), Rozin et al. (1993) suggested that feelings of disgust function to dignify humanity by allowing humans to put themselves above the animals that are deemed as inferior.

Haidt, McCauley, and Rozin (1994) further suggested that other domains of disgust elicitors, such as poor hygiene, inappropriate sexuality, violations of the body envelope, and contact with death or dead bodies, also make humans aware of their creatureliness and tend to evoke feelings of disgust. At an even more distal level, violations of sociomoral standards (Haidt et al., 1997) are often described as disgusting; however, Haidt et al. (1994) found that this type of disgust (except in the sexual domain) did not correlate reliably with the other domains.

Interestingly, disgust elicited by contact with death was found by Haidt et al. (1994) to be more predictive of general disgust than any other domain of disgust elicitor. Further, Haidt et al. found that sensitivity to disgust was positively correlated with fear of death. They accounted for these findings by suggesting that death is disgusting because it is a very strong reminder of the animal nature of humans. On the basis of Brown (1959) and Becker (1962, 1973), in Study 1, we assessed the opposite causal sequence—that things that remind humans of their animal nature disgust them because their animality reminds them of their vulnerability to death (Rozin, Haidt, McCauley, Dunlop, & Ashmore, 1999, recently also acknowledged the possibility of this causal sequence). By showing disgust toward such things, humans can psychologically distance themselves from the material, creaturely reality these things represent. From this perspective, disgust can be viewed as an emotional response that enables humans to elevate themselves above other animals and thereby defend against death.

You might find it far out, I think it is an interesting perspective that may also explain why some people might have difficulties with vegetarians or vegans. From this perspective, the control of animals is essential to people's defenses. Halleluja. The same goes for breastfeeding, which 1) reminds us that we are organic beeings which 2) reminds us that we are animals.

Swallowing on the other hand, is a different case. Swallowing is a defense against death-anxiety, because it is a sexual act not aimed at reproduction - thus we are controlling insticts and distancing ourselves from animals. I think that's what the theory says about sexual perversions (allthough i do not think it is a perversion, at all, no no no).

Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  00:18:51  Show Profile

By the way, read Becker's "The Denial of Death" - it is highly recomendable.
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  07:08:59  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
If and when they start producing animal flesh via stem cells and cloning in a labratory will any of the vegetarians here eat it even if it was never associated with a brain or consciousness? (sik) I would as soon as I was good and convinced that it didn't cause cancer or monsterism.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

evilheat
- FB Fan -

12 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  10:37:45  Show Profile
About that NEEDING meat etc. stuff....

Ever hear of a guy named Peter Reid, he's won the hawaii iron man 5 or so times and is basically the winning-est person ever in iron mans. He's one of those disgusting vegetarians. yup. fuck off bitchy girly veggies fuckers.

Also I've attached another article about some horrible vegan ironman
bastard and how he digusts me.

and then that whole dairy product business, 90% of humans are lactose intollerant to a degree, some more than others. your body generally learns to deal with it, but if you have trouble breating, excess saliva, bad gas, or some stomach problems, watch to see if it happens after eating cheese or drinking alot of milk. it may be a good idea to stop eating dairy for a few weeks and see what happens.

humans are also the only species to drink another species milk. sketchy.

and if thasslalalajk would like me to really disgust him, just hang out give me a couple letres of milk and some cheese then lets hang out in a small room for a few hours. It'll be good and disgusting for you.

and as mentioned above it takes SOOOOOO much excess energy/food to feed animals for us to eat, so when a vegan diet is done right it's kind of really healthy and uses fewer resources (and it can be pretty tasty) It's just going to every restaurant and seeing 90% of things having meet and 99% have dairy products that's a pain in the ass.

Ultra-High Performance Vegetarian Athletes
Last month some of North America's elite vegetarian athletes participated
in an "Eating for Performance" seminar in Vancouver presented by EarthSave Canada. The event dispelled the myth that ultra-high-performance athletes cannot be successful while maintaining vegan or vegetarian diets.

Brendan Brazier (left) is a professional Ironman athlete who posted 11th overall in Ironman Canada 2001. Here are his words:

When I first stopped eating meat in 1990 the only information I could find was in books written for the average person, not the athlete. Not knowing that athletes' requirements are vastly different form the average person, I followed the information from the books. After only a few months without animal products I was having trouble with energy levels. I did research for a couple of years. It, combined with conversations with athletes who used to be vegetarians, lead me to this conclusion: The typical vegan diet will not work for most athletes. It's too low in high-quality fat, protein, sodium and calcium. However, with a few adjustments, the vegan athlete can thrive. If implemented properly, a vegan diet can reduce recovery time, provide more energy and reduce post-workout stiffness. If done incorrectly, as is commonly the case, the athlete will likely experience four problems: constant hunger, poor muscle recovery, sugar cravings and lack of energy. This is most often due to a lack of dietary protein and fat. Without adequate protein, the carbohydrate consumed will enter the bloodstream faster, causing insulin levels to rise quickly (spike), then decline a short time later (crash). With protein and fat added to each meal and snack a "sugar crash" will not occur. Protein will complement the carbohydrate, allowing it to enter the bloodstream at a steady rate, by doing so delaying the onset of hunger while sustaining energy levels. A four-to-one carbohydrate to protein ratio has been shown to yield the best muscle glycogen recovery results. The small amount of protein (25%) combined with a high glycemic carbohydrate (sugar) has been shown to improve recover over the conventional "sugar only" approach. Sweetened soy drink s help provide this ratio. Animal products contain a lot of fat. Cutting all fat from the diet is not the goal, although saturated fat should be minimized for optimum performance. A very low fat diet is okay for low to moderately active people. However, highly active people, especially endurance athletes who have adopted plant-based diets, will benefit by adding good quality fats to their meals. As with protein, fat helps slow the rate at whichcarbohydrates enter the bloodstream, providing sustained, consistent energy.

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  11:26:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by evilheat

humans are also the only species to drink another species milk. sketchy.

We're also the only species that can properly roll a carneasada burrito. I don't know the point of either statement. There are alot things other species can't do.

Ants do eats sugars excreted by aphids. It's not milk (since aphids aren't mammals) but it is close enough. The ants even herd the aphids and take care of them like cows.
Go to Top of Page

Dallas
= Cult of Ray =

USA
725 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  11:38:51  Show Profile
Interesting thread. I always admire the vegans/vegetarian ethic. It isnt easy in most places in the US to be vegan/veggie. Reading the above quote from the ironman, my God, he's logical, but, he makes my point. His journey took him years of research and experimentation. Thats commitment.

I dont see why this has to be a debated issue (not on this extremely civil thread, but in the world). If we can't agree to let people make their own choice on this topic we are doomed. Veggies clearly enjoy and prosper from their lifestyle choice. So do most omnivores among us. I disagree with trying to turn it into a moral issue or citing what one group thinks is natural versus anothers. The fact is that both groups seem to be doing just fine thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  13:50:39  Show Profile
hey. i couldn't even read all of this stuff, which is a good thing, that so many people have an interest(either way).
this is probably the geekiest way to know about anything, but my mother has a keen interest in nutrition. she became a vegetarian because she just always hated meat throughout her childhood, especially getting a hate for eggs, and she says she 'would rather eat a steak than an egg any day.' that doesn't really have any relevance to the discussion,sorry!
anyways, all she buys is organic goods in general, because in vegetables etc. it is really the only sure way of knowing no animal product is used(as in gmo's). i should really start a new topic about this, but anyways. Free range goods do not really mean the animal is treated any better, as it can be labelled free range if the chicken etc. is let out for 10 minutes in a pen and then put back in the factory or whatever. to be classified organic the animal must enjoy a good quality of life(apart from the whole, y'know, killing of it and all) and must be fed food free from any animal product(as chickens and cows are certainly not carni- or omnivores).
the thing is that even organic food hasn't all the nutrients we truly need these days as the earth's soil has been 'raped' so much by overfarming and overgrazing.
ooh, and milk is so gross, when i found out what its main components are i was pretty queasy. though i still use it cos cereal and tea ain't the same without it. their is a really good nutrition book out, i can't remember it know but i'll find it sometime. its about this doctor who had developed many cancerous tumours, and they couldn't figure out why. she and her husband decided to reseach it, and basically they found the lowest rate of cancer could be found in asia, espesially the areas around china. the only diference in diet between the western world and them was that they used soya products instead of dairy products. the doctor gave up dairy, and eventually all the tumours subsided. all this can be put down to is the fact she gave up dairy. weird, huh?
oh, and a good quote which refers to the recent problems with BSE from around 1910(?) 'cows who eat cows will go mad'-Rudolph Steiner.

bored of the little comments. i guess i'll just have an actual signature. much shorter.
-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  13:54:18  Show Profile
i dont mean the BSE problems in 1910, i mean the guy said it then!

bored of the little comments. i guess i'll just have an actual signature. much shorter.
-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  14:01:58  Show Profile
I hate milk. I use Rice Dream on my cereal, but I never drink it by itself
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  14:09:21  Show Profile
i won't share with the board what it's made up of. its just too gross.

-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  14:13:27  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
as a born vegetarian (never ate meat, you got it, 18 years straight)

I'm fully qualified to say:

Men are supposed to eat animals, otherwise they wouldn't be made of meat

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  14:28:17  Show Profile
lol. just men?

-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  20:43:47  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
And humans are animals too.

Saw a sign in a shop today that said 'No Animals Allowed (except seeing-eye dogs)'

Thought that was rather funny.

As for vegan athletes, Carl Lewis says his biggest improvement occured when he went vegan..
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  20:45:22  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Women are supposed to eat meat too, but you have to wine and dine em' first. Yee Haw!!!!

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  05:42:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Atheist4Catholics

Women are supposed to eat meat too, but you have to wine and dine em' first. Yee Haw!!!!

haha. wine me. dine me. deep space nine me.

- David Brent
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  07:52:55  Show Profile
Timbo you filthy sot, you should be ashamed and complimented. Nice work, cheif.

Barry, "deep space nine me"? Is that nerd-speak for let's have dinner and watch Star Trek? Cause if so, count me in. Although I prefer Next Gen and Voyager.
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  08:57:34  Show Profile
no... it just was the first thing i could think of actually that rhymed with '69-me' - big nerd that i am. have a great weekend fellow FB fans!

- David Brent
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  09:08:41  Show Profile
Bazza,
this has nothing to do with this thread but I forgot where we posted before. I had never heard of Rizla and then yesterday my bro-in-law had the blue Rizlas.
Kudos to the Rizla corporation for not using any chlorine in their rollies.
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  09:17:47  Show Profile
yeah!! rizzlas come in blue, red and green - and also brown (with liquorice). as a non smoker i dont appreciate them as much as the stoners who i used to sell them to cheers

- David Brent
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  12:13:53  Show Profile
Like most of us I am super busy (kids, work....husband, trying to keep up with music). I'm always looking for ways to eat healthier but quickly, any tips?

I have a couple, don't buy anything white, chances are it wasn't that way naturally.
1. Buy organic or brown sugar (you know that sugar in the raw stuff)
2. Buy brown flour or brown bread.
3. If you don't want to spend the extra 2 bucks for free range eggs at least buy brown eggs, come on what does it matter what color the shell of something is, which your not even going to eat anyways.
4. Use sea salt, its the least bad for you, in fact it even has some good stuff in it.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  12:26:06  Show Profile
btw, somebody better make up a good new topic. We've almost covered the whole poli-sci101 spectrum. Affirmative action, pornography, gender issues, hey we're missing the debate on abortion and capital punishment. Come on puppets, dance.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  17:29:49  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Hey Carolyn.hope you don't mind some updates on the tips (overall pretty good!)

1) Brown sugar is just white sugar with the molassas added BACK. Go figure. Raw cane sugar is the good stuff. (It is actually closer to being a 'food', with vitamin and mineral content.) Organic white sugar is not much better than conventional..tho there's less chemicals.

2) Not 'brown', but '100% Whole Wheat'. 'Whole Wheat' bread is usually 60% W/W, 40% white flour. Read the ingredients too - if it just says 'wheat flour', it'll be white. The ideal here is to find 'sprouted grain' breads. If you're on the West Coast of Canada, Silver Hills is an ideal choice. Go for Organic too.

3) Can't say much about eggs - they're fat and cholesterol bombs if you ask me, and generally unnecessary in cooking, only adding more saturated fats and cholesterol.

4) Sea salt is almost identical, chemically, to table salt. It is just as refined. Look for the 'gray' salts. I buy this stuff called 'Redmond Real Salt' - it's a bit cheaper than stuff like Celtic Sea Salt (which is prolly the 'best' stuff.) The big dif. here is that there is infinitely more mineral content, which again moves this closer to the realm of being a 'food'.

Some tips i'd add:

5) Stop eating bad fats, start eating good fats. Canola and other vegetable oils are highly processed and refined (you'd be amazed at what goes on to make em) and are technically rancid by the time they end up on the shelf. They also produce a lot of TFA's when heated (trans fatty acids, this is gonna be a HUGE story by the end of the year, mark my word.)

Stop eating butter and animal fats.

Stop eating anything deep fried, or as rarely as possible. A lot of baked good should be avoided as well, esp. if they contain these oils and fats.

DO EAT healthy fats, like olive oil, flax oil and coconut butter. Always get them 'cold pressed' and 'unrefined'. Organic if you can afford it. This topic alone will do insanely wonderful things for your overall health and longevity.

(You might be wondering about coconut, since it's high in saturated fats, but more recent research shows that it's very different from the saturated animal fats. It is also one of the most resistant to forming TFA's.)

You can cook with olive oil and coconut butter (nummy to bake with!), never heat flax oil.

That's fats in a flash..

6) Eat as much 'whole' and 'raw' food as possible. That means whole grains, veggies and fruits (not the cores or skins of course, but not stuff like jam, which is mostly sugar.) Avoid processed foods as much as possible. If you're eating whole foods, be sure to eat a fair bit - there's a lot more fibre to fill you up, so make sure you're getting enough calories.

7) Stop eating dairy. Reasons why should be as obvious as the difference between a calf and yourself.

Them's my quick tips for the day! Off to the SPCA!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000