Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  02:24:52  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by the swimmer

quote:
Originally posted by Atheist4Catholics

And for the love of God, Dolby NR needs to be turned on during RECORDING as well as during playback. It encodes to tape and decodes from tape. If you only turn it on during the mix it makes things sound worse!

I think it's pronounced "Dubly".

lmao :D

http://www.nimrods-son.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  05:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by molin

quote:

molin - We obviously have conflicting personalities because everything you say annoys me!

Well I guess we must agree to disagree then on all things then. I did like your songs though.

Also, I don't want it to seem like I'm blaming Dean for somehow picking the wrong songs (although I feel strongly about 2 of the B-sides being mistakes); I think he picked the only ones he could for the most part given the sound quality goal.

molin - that's cool, I'd rather not have this thread turn into a pissing contest either. I thought your B-side was decent except the sound of the vocals really irritated me. The distortion and phasing sound like early ween, but without being funny. I also appreciate that you were trying to change up the melody, but I don't think you should change the notes that much. Phrasing yes, inflection yes, but when you sort of meander around the melody it sounds like you're just bored with the song. It ceases to be the song in my opinion. Even in jazz which is based entirely on improvisation and interpretation, they rarely fuck with the actual notes. They'll add more notes sometimes, but the original melody is still there. Anyhow, I understand that my opinions are coming from a different place than your's (not necessarily a better place ) and I do appreciate your comments on my tracks (though I disagree with them.)

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

MIRV
- FB Fan -

178 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  09:28:33  Show Profile
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  13:27:34  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Great. I hope there aren't any priests at rockpalastarchiv.de.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  17:54:10  Show Profile
what is the point of that picture? is that the guy from queens of the stone age?
I don't see the parallel (maybe I'm not paralleling it with the right thing. the tribute album? someone's post?)

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  01:18:02  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
I gots a problem burning "You Ain't Me" with Easy CD Creator 5.x in DAO mode. The between-song gaps are absent, while the last second or so of each song is eliminated. Anyone else experience this problem?
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  07:24:02  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
Derek-

I,too, question what that picture is supposed to mean or be.
But i'm fairly certain it isn't Josh Homme from QOTSA. It's someone else.

MIRV, care to unravel the mystery?
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  09:53:42  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Knight

I gots a problem burning "You Ain't Me" with Easy CD Creator 5.x in DAO mode. The between-song gaps are absent, while the last second or so of each song is eliminated. Anyone else experience this problem?

What are you playing the CD on? Sometimes CD players will add their own 2 second gaps between tracks if there aren't any present. I once bought a Samsung DVD player that did that (I returned it) and it made listening to Floyd very aggravating indeed.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  16:41:22  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
No no no. 2 to 3 seconds are subtracted from each song when I playback the CD. The length of the overall CD is about a minute less than it should be. Very weird, eh? It's almost certainly a software-related dilemma, cuz I've been using the same CD player for years. Anyway, I'll try burning a copy using track-at-once and'l post the result.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  18:26:45  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
Yeah, TAO sounds better, but ends of certain songs are still getting cut (Czar being the most noticeable). I guess Easy CD Creator doesn't decode MP3s quite right. Eh.
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  20:47:36  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
I have easy cd creator 6 and it worked fine.

www.namjunerobot.com
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  23:43:55  Show Profile
great jon a-side eveeryone...

really

I was thoroughly impressed... Derek, nice work..

You guys blew me away

ain't it
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  00:31:08  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Knight

No no no. 2 to 3 seconds are subtracted from each song when I playback the CD. The length of the overall CD is about a minute less than it should be. Very weird, eh? It's almost certainly a software-related dilemma, cuz I've been using the same CD player for years. Anyway, I'll try burning a copy using track-at-once and'l post the result.

That's what I meant. It would cut off the end of the song and replace it with 2 seconds of silence before the next track. So if you're listening to Surfer Rosa the end of the Field Hockey story gets cut off because it normally segues straight into "I'm Amazed"

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  00:34:01  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by MIRV

I think it is Josh Homme because the picture is titled "Kyuss03". Apparantly it is only a desperate cry for attention (that I'm foolishly answering.)

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  00:52:40  Show Profile
definitely kyuss
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  02:57:41  Show Profile
kyuss.. i saw it was kiaus

nnevernubd

ain't it
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  15:26:55  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
quote:
That's what I meant. It would cut off the end of the song and replace it with 2 seconds of silence before the next track. So if you're listening to Surfer Rosa the end of the Field Hockey story gets cut off because it normally segues straight into "I'm Amazed"

Well, it's not the exact same thing because, in my case, the music isn't replaced w/ silence; it's just gone. My theory is that CD Creator is deleting the between-song gaps that you inserted in the MP3s during mastering, some of which include a half second or so of music. Anyway, I'll stop obsessing over it. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  21:09:38  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Very strange.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

Steve
- FB Fan -

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  16:00:23  Show Profile
So before I start burning discs, what is the recommended procedure? DAO and add a delay between tracks?

-Steve

Edited by - Steve on 08/05/2003 16:01:46
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  16:08:12  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
The MP3's were created to be burned with DAO and no delay (we've inserted delays to make listening on the computer like listening to a CD already). Make sure that you're not using anything that "deletes silence" at the end of the tracks or anything like that, unless you want to crossfade. But to hear it as it was meant to be heard, DAO, 0 second pause, and keep the silence.

NB: If you REALLY wanted to get it right, then the ideal thing would by DAO with no pause and a 0.5 second crossfade to eliminate the extra bit inherent in MP3s due to header info, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Steve
- FB Fan -

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  16:38:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

But to hear it as it was meant to be heard, DAO, 0 second pause, and keep the silence.

Gotcha. I'll perfect this setup before venturing out into the unknown (at least ot me) of playing with crossfades. Thanks for the help.
Go to Top of Page

MIRV
- FB Fan -

178 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  20:40:29  Show Profile
am i a fool?

i'm much smarter than that.
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  09:19:34  Show Profile
Well, I'm too lazy to review all the songs properly. So for what it's worth, here's my thoughts on a few tracks.

My top 5

1. I could stay here forever - Wow! A totally re-imagined Frank song that works in a big way. Only improvement at all might be if the vocals were just a wee bit louder. But who cares. I love the original song and this version may be even better.
2. Cold heart of stone - cool cool vocals, impeccable performance, no flaws whatsoever, only reason it's my #2 and not #1 is due to the creativity of I could stay here... and my love of the song. Would like to hear more of this band.
3. Whispering weeds- alot of talent on the vocals, if a little on the raw and undeveloped side, great energy, awesome ending with the pixie thing
4. Oddballs - great vocals, great performance. Perfect rendition. Maybe if I liked the song better, I would vote it higher.
5. Tie between:
- His Kingly Cave (What can I say, I've got a weird sense of humor. Love the Elvis thing and love the dark mood of the song.)
- Doggone (this one gets judged a bit unfairly because I'd heard this one a long time ago and thus it's much more stale to me than the rest, but dem's da breaks - great vocals and mood)

I'm sure some of these favorites will change over time. Because honestly, there are only five or six tracks that I do not like.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  11:46:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bartholomew

2. Cold heart of stone - cool cool vocals, impeccable performance, no flaws whatsoever, only reason it's my #2 and not #1 is due to the creativity of I could stay here... and my love of the song. Would like to hear more of this band.

Thanks very much, Bart. There are a lot of flaws in there, but far be it from me to point them out any more than I already have...

The funniest part is that we're not really a band. It's just some friends that I invited to play with me for this project. However, I must say, that if we had a bunch of songs that were as well written as that one, I suppose that lineup would make a pretty cool bar band.

Thanks for the kind words. Damn you "I Could Stay Here Forever"!

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

AdamWest
- FB Fan -

20 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  11:49:35  Show Profile  Visit AdamWest's Homepage
Hey when are you guys gonna post the B-Side artwork?

-Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  19:43:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Hey, that's awesome that we're in your top 5 (for now). Much appreciated.

Ryan, sorry, I've been busy, and I haven't even had a chance to send Dave the various artist info yet, so (I posted somewhere but I don't remember), it'll be up next week hopefully. We want to throw it in with the B-sides page, otherwise I'd just post it here, but I don't think there's a huge rush, and trust me when I say that I'm home for 1 hour tops/day until next Sunday and running around/at work the rest of the time...
Go to Top of Page

MIRV
- FB Fan -

178 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  11:04:55  Show Profile
you'd think frank could get off his ass and review this compilation himself.

i mean, i know he's busy putting out a double album every four months, but it would be cool.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  11:11:05  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I don't imagine he'll get it until he gets back from Europe in December, because his manager has it right now and it would be hard to ship to someone who's always moving around. But it'd be cool to hear what he thinks...
Go to Top of Page

MIRV
- FB Fan -

178 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  12:48:30  Show Profile
yes, that is josh homme.

he's a monster. i thought i'd post him randomly.
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  00:27:30  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
Thanks Bartholomew!
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  09:21:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by miguel

Thanks Bartholomew!

You're welcome, guys. I know how good it feels, as an artist, to get positive feedback (or any feedback for that matter) on your labors of love. And hey, if there is ever a short-story fiction tribute to the big man, then I am IN. Seems sort of unlikely... probably not alot of interest... But if there's ever any way I can use my writing talents to benefit the big man, I'd love to help out.
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  14:03:27  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
Though it would be nice, I doubt Frank will give his opinion about the tribute cd other than to say Thanks and he appreciates our efforts.

I mean, it wouldn't be fair for him to single me out as the best cut on the cd at the expense of all you other shlubs.

It would make you all jealous and he's not that kinda guy.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  14:30:36  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yeah, I really don't think we'll hear anything from him one way or the other, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be cool to, even if it was just to say thanks. But, as I'm fond of saying today, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2003 :  12:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Well, I thought I'd share with the rest of you that Ken Goes, FB's manager, has received his copy of You Ain't Me awhile ago and has commented that he has a lot of fun listening to it and that he and his wife both enjoy the fresh perspective it offers on the material. Still no word on whether Frank himself has received his copy, though Ken was trying to send it to him with some other things. I'm sure that by now he's probably received it and least thrown it in the disc player in his new Portland abode at least once.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2003 :  16:48:53  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
Cool.

When the hell is Bravo gonna put Twin Peaks back on the air?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000