Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kellydealshorse
- FB Fan -

Philippines
16 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  01:39:27  Show Profile
That was truly amazing. The man is a song writing machine. 90 minutes churning out some awesome tunes. Set list got lost in a haze of beer though, but I think it went something like:

Into The White
Cold Heart of Stone
Cactus
Bullet.....see, I'm lost already. Someone enlighten me please.

The crowd loved it, especially the 2 guys down the front being told off by Frank half way tough a new track cos they were singing aong and putting him off...."So you guys got an advance copy of the record...you know it better than me". (Name of that track please???...awesome.)

Great game back at my place last night drinking til the early hours going through the records picking out tracks with..."fuck me, I can't believe he played that!!!".......

Maybe too many "Pixies tyre kickers" in the audience for my liking, lots of folk didn't know Frank's solo stuff. Shame on them. And a shame Frank gets his biggest cheers for Pixies tracks.

A truly awesome night. Thanks Frank for doing what you do best. See you in September for the new tour. Christ I'll need some cash.

northern monkey

EnglishGeezer
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  02:50:51  Show Profile
HEY HORSE, I'M SENSING SOME SNOBBERY FROM YA, I'M ONLY UP TO THE FIRST CATHOLICS ALBUM,GIVE ME TIME IVE ONLY BEEN BUYING HIS POST-PIXIES STUFF FOR ABOUT A YEAR!
BY THE ASTORIA GIG I SHOULD KNOW ALL THE SONGS SO HE CAN TELL ME OFF ASWELL!

HELP ME MY EARS ARE STILL RINGING FROM THE SUPPORT ACT, WHO WAS SHE?
Go to Top of Page

MiscellaneousFiles
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  03:16:58  Show Profile  Visit MiscellaneousFiles's Homepage  Click to see MiscellaneousFiles's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by EnglishGeezer

HELP ME MY EARS ARE STILL RINGING FROM THE SUPPORT ACT, WHO WAS SHE?

Check it: http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2155

Kristeen Young: http://www.ifp.uiuc.edu/~lanterma/kristeen/
Go to Top of Page

Devils Islander
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  03:37:14  Show Profile
The support act was Kristeen Young. Very nice, but what about Charles? He was fucking AWESOME. The song during which he was distracted by the lads singing along in the crowd (???) is called 'Horrible Day'. Apart from the stuff off the new album; he also played, (in no particular order): Into The white, Caribou, Where Is My Mind?, Cactus, Crackity Jones, Monkey Gone To Heaven, Wave Of Mutilation, Velouria, Brackish Boy, Cold Heart Of Stone, California Bound, Jane The Queen Of Love, All My Ghosts, Western Star, Billy Radcliffe, Bullet, Abstract Plain, Whiskey In Your Shoes, The Shrimpboat Song (I'm not sure if that's the right title, but I think it's an obscure Elvis Song, and it was fucking brilliant), and finally, The Black Rider.
Although I'm not yet familiar with the new songs, on first listening they sounded scarily good, and I can't hardly wait for the new album.
Last night, not only did I stand face to face with true genius; I also managed to nick his plectrum. It was a long trek back to Devil's Island, but for a performance like that, I'd have gladly made the journey on bare feet over broken glass with live scorpions shoved down my underpants.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  03:47:57  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Into The White? That's very cool!

Denis
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  04:02:45  Show Profile
and velouria? has he done that one before?
Go to Top of Page

gary13th
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
632 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  04:12:11  Show Profile  Visit gary13th's Homepage  Click to see gary13th's MSN Messenger address
i'm gutted i couldnt get down to London to this gig ! Though i'm hoping to go to a couple of the gigs later in the year

~you will get used to me, welcome to your new joy
Heloise by FB&TC
Go to Top of Page

MiscellaneousFiles
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  04:46:35  Show Profile  Visit MiscellaneousFiles's Homepage  Click to see MiscellaneousFiles's MSN Messenger address
Frank: "The crowd are gettin' rowdy so I'd better play another Pixies song"

I know he was taking th piss to some extent, but I do feel sorry for Frank that he gets this attitude. My personal highlight was (I want to live on an) Abstract Plain which I think he sang with real passion. There were so many great moments though...
Go to Top of Page

kellydealshorse
- FB Fan -

Philippines
16 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  05:07:38  Show Profile
There were loads of great moments but I have to say that the beauty of watching Frank for me was not knowing what's coming next ! So many killer tunes to choose from and when he cracks another one off, the first few chords just made me whoop!!!

Best bit I thought was Frank howling like a bitch during Crakity Jones. Fucking Genius.

northern monkey
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  05:09:18  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ivandivel

and velouria? has he done that one before?

He did it on June 28th in Paris, and 2 days before for the radio session in Netherlands.
A lot of people bitch about Frank playing a lot of Pixies songs, and I prefer hearing songs from his solo career too, but Velouria certainly was one of the highlights of the Paris show.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  05:12:17  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles

Frank: "The crowd are gettin' rowdy so I'd better play another Pixies song"

I know he was taking th piss to some extent, but I do feel sorry for Frank that he gets this attitude.

I don't think that he has this attitude. In Paris the solo songs were very well received too. I thought people would only react to the Pixies songs but it wasn't the case (except a couple of jerks at the bar). He plays Pixies songs because he wants to. I believe he will play less Pixies songs when touring with the Catholics.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Leah
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  05:21:48  Show Profile
UTTERLY LOVED IT.

FOUND A SEAT NEAR THE FRONT AND THE BACK STAGE
AREA, TOOK TWO ROLLS OF FILM WHICH I HOPE TO PROCESS SOON AND POST HERE, AND HAD A SCREAM.

LITERALLY.

APOLOGIES IF I PISSED ANYONE OFF HOWLING ALONG TO BLACK RIDER...

WAS WIERD TO SEE SO FEW PEOPLE MOSHING. - SENSIBLE THO - NECK ACHE LIKE A BASTARD & SORE THROAT FROM SCREAMING!

KEPT GETTING MOMENTS OF "FUCKING HELL, FRANK BLACK IS AWESOME AND IN THE SAME ROOM AS ME"...

I AM VERY JOLLY INDEED!

Every choice human being strives instinctively for a citadel and a secrecy where he is saved from the crowd -
Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  05:26:46  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
hmm, i cant put it to words. although i did say "Frank Fucking Black" a lot last night.

very very cool. i was surprised at the amount of pixies stuff he played! i guess he plays more pixies when solo than with the catholics?

eyyyy!
Go to Top of Page

gracie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
573 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  06:00:49  Show Profile
what a fantastic night. i was luky enough to be in front of frank, about 4 people back, right behind the moshers who frank told off.
i felt sorry for him, being chastised by a man who you respect must be pretty embarassing.
i can't believe he played into the white- it was fantastic.
best moments were cactus, caribou, brackish boy and abstract plain.
i also saw adam and jo at the bar.
Go to Top of Page

jizzjuice
- FB Fan -

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  07:15:02  Show Profile  Visit jizzjuice's Homepage
AWSOME NIGHT.

Just can't belive I got to see him, live, solo. Just amazing.

If anyone has some photos, could they please post here or send them to me at joelhart@gmx.net.

Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  07:34:31  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
i was just to the right of frank (frank's right). some guy next to me stole his orange plectrum.

haha "you dont even know what song this is" into the white. was it me or did he have a smirk on his face while doing this one?

eyyyy!
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  09:19:48  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
You crazy Brits. I'm very jealous.

What in the hell is an orange plectrum?
Go to Top of Page

MiscellaneousFiles
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  09:45:04  Show Profile  Visit MiscellaneousFiles's Homepage  Click to see MiscellaneousFiles's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by mereubu

You crazy Brits. I'm very jealous.

What in the hell is an orange plectrum?

It's a bit like a black plectrum, but a different colour...

But seriously - you know the little rounded triangle of plastic that guitarists use to strum the strings.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  09:50:07  Show Profile
A pick, how the hell did you guys come up with a word like plectrum? I can honestly say that I learned something new today.
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  09:51:30  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
Into the White???????????? You lucky SOB's.

Plectrum = Guitar pick
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  09:53:38  Show Profile
I have never heard of that before. Where the hell have I been?
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  10:03:30  Show Profile
Only in the UK could take something as simple and pedestrain as a "pick" and make it into something so grandiose and important as the "plectrum". By the same token, only Americans could takes something as elegant and classic as the "plectrum" and make into something as blue collar and utilitarian as a "pick".
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  10:08:37  Show Profile
Pick makes sense because you use it to pick the strings, but plectrum...???
Go to Top of Page

Devils Islander
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  10:53:10  Show Profile
Plectrum...guitar pick...call it what you like suckers...it's MINE!
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  12:11:32  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
FYI, it's called mediator in French.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

kurdtkobain
- FB Fan -

14 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  13:18:44  Show Profile  Visit kurdtkobain's Homepage
It was an amazing night for me as a Pixies fan (I'm way to young to have been able to have seen them). The night also converted me into a Frank Black fan, his solo stuff was great :) I recorded the show, but I'll need some help with the setlist. MP3s soon with b&p offers to follow.

Edited by - kurdtkobain on 07/09/2003 13:23:58
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  13:30:49  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
HE DID INTO THE WHITE? WHAT THE FUCK! That's like one of my favorite Pixies songs, shit. I'm begging to hear that .mp3

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  14:30:31  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Devils Islander

Plectrum...guitar pick...call it what you like suckers...it's MINE!

you!! you must be the guy stood next to me then. did you try to shake frank's hand at one point?

eyyyy!
Go to Top of Page

thecomeons
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  01:36:10  Show Profile  Visit thecomeons's Homepage
he was trying to steal his watch ;-)

my manta is a ray
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  02:09:13  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Ha! That's funny as hell. I'm picturing Devil's Islander trying to run away in the middle of the crowd with Frank's watch...

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Devils Islander
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  04:10:15  Show Profile
Nah, man...his watch was a fake. I was actually trying to haul him into the crowd, so I could steal his wallet. Thing is, he was sweatin' like a pee eye gee, and I couldn't get a decent grip. Next time, I'll bring a grappling hook and some ropes.
Go to Top of Page

Hatchetman
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  07:13:17  Show Profile  Visit Hatchetman's Homepage  Click to see Hatchetman's MSN Messenger address
The Camden gig was absolutely fantastic!! Armed with just a beat up Martin guitar he blew us all away with at least 30 songs (possibly 33) As I can't remember what order they were played in, I grouped them by album (to much time on my hands) I don't think that he played any songs from Cult Of Ray.

FRANK BLACK:
Brackish Boy
Headache

TEENAGER OF THE YEAR:
Abstract plain

FRANK BLACK AND THE CATHOLICS:
All My Ghosts

PISTOLERO:
Billy Radcliff
Western Star

DOG IN THE SAND:
Bullet

BLACK LETTER DAYS:
California Bound
Cold Heart Of Stone
Jane The Queen Of Love

DEVIL'S WORKSHOP:
Whiskey In Your Shoes

SHOW ME YOUR TEARS:
Everything is New
Massif Centrale
Nadine
My Favourite Kiss
New House Of The Pope
Goodbye Lorraine
This Old Heartache
Manitoba
Horrible Day (played this 1 and a half times, after losing his concentration when some people started singing along)

COVERS:
The Shrimp Song
The Black Rider (last song played)

PIXIES SONGS:
Into The White (first song played)
Where Is My Mind
Cactus
Caribou
Wave Of Mutilation
Monkey Gone To Heaven
Crackity Jones
Velouria

DID I IMAGINE THESE WHILE BEING PISSED??
Headache
Mr Grieves
Holiday Song

So, there you have it. Fantastic! Got to meet him at the end of the gig, which was nice. Also really cool to meet some really nice people from this list, Devils Islander (Butch) and Leah (Naomi). Look forward to seeing some of the photographs that you took.

Hatchetman
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  07:30:33  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
i dont remember headache/mr grieves. i remember the holiday song though.

also just before the gig there was a shop playing levitate me quite loudly, so i went in just because of that. hmm related story.

where did you meet him?

eyyyy!
Go to Top of Page

MiscellaneousFiles
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  08:37:22  Show Profile  Visit MiscellaneousFiles's Homepage  Click to see MiscellaneousFiles's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by misleadtheworld

Spot on! He didn't play Headache or Mr Grieved, sadly.

Holiday Song was a little different, with the "here I am with my hand" line sung much quicker and with a faster run of chords. Perhaps this is Frank's standard version these days, but as this was my first gig I wouldn't know.

Hatchetman - did you see my photos (in the separate thread)?
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2178
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  08:52:24  Show Profile
Kurdt, please tell us when you get the recording onto mp3s. I HAVE to have this show
Go to Top of Page

Hatchetman
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  10:56:40  Show Profile  Visit Hatchetman's Homepage  Click to see Hatchetman's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by MiscellaneousFiles

quote:
Originally posted by misleadtheworld

Spot on! He didn't play Headache or Mr Grieved, sadly.

Holiday Song was a little different, with the "here I am with my hand" line sung much quicker and with a faster run of chords. Perhaps this is Frank's standard version these days, but as this was my first gig I wouldn't know.

Hatchetman - did you see my photos (in the separate thread)?
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2178

Yes I did see the pics, thanks for posting them. Some really good ones there. I met Frank much later, after the gig had finished. He came out to meet a few of us who had patiently waited to see him.
Got his autograph (again) and a handshake!
I do seem to remember him playing The Holiday Song, but I must have imagined the other two...I was pretty drunk by the end of the gig.
I look forward to hearing a recording of the show (if it becomes available to me).

Hatchetman
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000