Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

gary13th
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
632 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  00:45:45  Show Profile  Visit gary13th's Homepage  Click to see gary13th's MSN Messenger address
i prefer Retchs' artwork!!

~you will get used to me, welcome to your new joy
Heloise by FB&TC
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  02:09:46  Show Profile
My vote is for the robot cover. Looks great.
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  07:32:07  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas

So confuse everyone and call it:

You Ain't Me,
A Tribute to Charles Michael Kitteridge Thompson IV

Thomas
"Our love is rice and beans and horses lard"

But then that would imply a tribute to his Pixies catalog as well!

(I know you were joking)

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

KingOfSiam
- FB LinkMaster -

USA
460 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  08:53:09  Show Profile
I'll have to go with Adamwest after his rant on the robot. I like the robot!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  09:01:49  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
We can call the next one a tribute to Charles and it will encompass his 'career' prior to the Pixies, or at least, before he took the stage name Black Francis and then later Frank Black and then later... well, I've said too much already.

I.E. his six or so college demos. Good luck. :)
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  09:22:34  Show Profile
Ok, first of all bravo to all. Really I was expecting some cheesy artwork for this thing but all three of you did a great job. The decision is killing me. Here's my idea though which will probably be widely considered retarded: When last I checked the track list for this cd was huge! Now, hows abouts we make it a double cd . . one cd for pixies/frank stuff and the other cd for FB&tC work? What we could do is use the Robot cover for the pixies cd the flip the case over and use Retch's work for the FB&tC side, kinda like a double sided comic book or something. That would be my ideal way of approaching this if there really are like 30 tracks. Think it over and give it some consideration. I think that both of those covers are amazing and would love to see them both used.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  10:19:38  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
There won't be that many tracks when all is said and done, and there are no Pixies covers on this compilation. As well, there are far more FB&C's than FB covers. Sorry, one CD, that's it. It seems that the artists plan to make finish their creations anyway, so you can make another CD with the rest of the songs on the FTP if you want, and have a different cover. Once the MP3s are up, I really don't care how you organize them and record them. But there is an official track list for those that do get put on the CD.
Go to Top of Page

Wade
- FB Fan -

115 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  10:25:55  Show Profile
They are all very well thought out. Good work.

About them: I think the robot version is more in line with the style of Franks earlier covers, and thus , though it's not my taste in style, I think it seems most appropriate to FB fans at first glance. Also, it seems to have the most thought put into it.

About the bald head version, very "oddballs" looking. I think that this one is more my taste in style, though I have similar questions about the spacing and irreverence for the borders. Not disagreeing with those choices, just saying that visually, they bring the same questions to mind that others have mentioned here. I do like the concept of the obviously not FB bald head. Subtle, clear, appropriate.

As for the rosary version, I like the imagery, and the layout very much, but I can't help but agree with those that think that this is more about FB, and less about the Catholics. That's not to say we don't appreciate the catholics, as fans, but this is after all an FB tribute. The points about the Catholics lineup changing, and that many of the songs that are being covered are strictly FB, are very valid in my mind, and make this version, however much I like the look ( though I agree about the fade on the edge being a little cheddar) one that focuses to much attention on a part of this that is not integral. the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.

So, to try and end my rambling... I'd say that -my- pick at this point would have to be Faskners, though I'm not sure I wouldn't reexamine the layout somewhat. For style and concept, if it were about the Catholics, I'd pick retch's, but I think that would be slightly inappropriate. Love the robot concept, just a little too "synthetic" for my taste in style (yes, I realize that style was appropriate for AW's approach to the task) . I do like the fact that he included the web site on that cover. Smart. Well executed concept, just not my taste in style for something such as this. Still, AdamWest is more on track with what FB has done in the past I think...

Yes, Faskner's would be closest to my taste in this situation.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  12:49:05  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
You have posted it three times.
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  14:48:44  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
One question: If we lost "& the Catholics" on retch's design, would we change it completely to say "A Frank Black Tribute", or would it say "A Tribute to Frank Black"? Personally, I prefer "A Tribute to".
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  15:29:02  Show Profile
My personal preference would be "A Tribute To Frank Black". I think it sounds better. I hate to lose that ampersand though...

Edited by - speedy_m on 06/19/2003 15:29:35
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  16:13:25  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I believe the final wording should probably be "A Tribute To Frank Black", as well, the official cover, whichever it might end up being by tomorrow, will have FrankBlack.net on there somewhere. I believe I specified the latter, but I left the former open to the artists in case they came up with something cooler than my suggestion, which was a tribute to Frank Black.
Go to Top of Page

faskner
- FB Fan -

Brazil
75 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  06:33:46  Show Profile
for me, no problem to change to "a tribute to frank black". the FB.net info can appear somewhere else on the package, i think. also, i see no problem on developin the full package for download on the FTP.
Go to Top of Page

Perhaps
- FB Fan -

133 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  09:14:06  Show Profile
I think they all pretty awesome. I think the one I like the most is the bald, sidewayshead. Simple and a seemingly consistent repressentation of FB post-pixies.
Go to Top of Page

parker_airspace
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  11:27:25  Show Profile  Click to see parker_airspace's MSN Messenger address
richard retch....my immediate favourite.....then the priest one, then the robot one......but good one richard....

- was smashed head on by a giant truck :( - Chris
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  16:00:28  Show Profile
i vote the robot. its still friday the 20th in ireland, am i too late?

in your face, space coyote!!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  16:03:07  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Nope, you have until 6:00 CST or 0:00Z or midnight GMT or however you might choose to think of it. Unless we have a sudden stream of voters in the next hour or so (whenever I get to a computer tonight, so probably a bit longer), though, the winner has already been decided.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  17:31:11  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Alright, congratulations to all three artists on some fantastic art that I think far exceeded everyone's expectations. The votes were REALLY, REALLY close for all three (so much so that I had to count twice to be sure), but in the end...

The official artwork for the FB.Net Frank Black tribute CD is to be completed by Ryan (AdamWest) based on his robots and that theme. I encourage the other artists to finish their work because there are still a lot of people who'd prefer one of the others to have won (hence the close vote), however, you are not obligated or committed to do so in any way. We all appreciate your effort thus far.

Ryan, please keep me up to date via email on the progress of your art. The official track list won't be available until the first week of July, but you should be able to complete everything else by then. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

ericr
- FB Fan -

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  19:39:08  Show Profile  Visit ericr's Homepage
Retch's is the best...it's not cliche or overstylized...it gets the message across in a firm yet smooth voice. I've worked in design for most of my adult life and have developed a little test I call the "inevitability test". After a split second's glance at all three, his is the one that looks the most inevitable.

Eric R.

http://puerco.iuma.com
Go to Top of Page

grackle63
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2003 :  06:32:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

I now have all the artwork available. Let's hear what everyone thinks. Let us know which you prefer, one vote per person, myself and artists involved will not be voting. Artists, feel free to field any questions about your particular design, but no commenting on others' designs. Voting is open to all members of FrankBlack.net, not just contributors, since everyone will be downloading it anyway. Voting closes Friday, June 20

Ryan "AdamWest" Wiesbrock

Guilherme "Faskner" Dable

Richard "Retch" Hynes

Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2003 :  10:43:57  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Hurray for the robots!
Go to Top of Page

Retch
- FB Fan -

Ireland
64 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  09:34:24  Show Profile
Congratulations Adamwest, and well done Faskner, good competition....looking forward to the Pixies Tribute !!

This ain't no holiday.
Go to Top of Page

Retch
- FB Fan -

Ireland
64 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  09:37:12  Show Profile
oh, and thanks to everyone who voted for mine.....the cheques are in the post.

This ain't no holiday.
Go to Top of Page

faskner
- FB Fan -

Brazil
75 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  15:36:28  Show Profile
congratulations to all the designers. great job everybody!
Go to Top of Page

big_galoof
= Cult of Ray =

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  13:11:22  Show Profile  Visit big_galoof's Homepage
all the artwork looks great - i'm only sorry that i didn't have time to create an entry myself. looking forward to the finished product!

TBG
Go to Top of Page

Hatchetman
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  13:33:42  Show Profile  Visit Hatchetman's Homepage  Click to see Hatchetman's MSN Messenger address
Retch's photograph (as good as it is) looks like it's the 'out of view' part of this photograph!!

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00000G42T.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

LOL! It's sadly the first thing that I thought of!
Hatchetman

Hatchetman

I saw the folk on Rapa Nui sculpt giant statues. They looked so proud.
Go to Top of Page

Retch
- FB Fan -

Ireland
64 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2003 :  02:11:15  Show Profile
Oh dear god..........my subconcious is fucking with me.

Retch.

This ain't no holiday.
Go to Top of Page

whittakerdon
- FB Fan -

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2003 :  10:46:38  Show Profile  Visit whittakerdon's Homepage
First and foremost, nice work by all. Personally, I like the cover Retch did. I/M/O, THIS IS a tribute to FB AND the Catholics. Maybe not all songs are, but the album is. And correct me if I am wrong, but some of the Catholics worked with FB before they were called The Catholics. When I saw Frank Black in 1993 at the Palace in Hollywood, he mentioned he was toying with the idea of naming the band The Freedom Rock, but he ultimately chose The Catholics. So I think it's fair to call this a tribute to Frank Black and the Catholics as the band was there before the baptism so to speak.

I think Retch's artwork is the best interpretation. Like Fields of Marigold, everyone will make their own unique interpretation of a Priest on the cover of a cover album - 'pretending to be something we are not' is how I would interpret the priest, but that is just my contrapagan view.

Thoughts...
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2003 :  12:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Of course, it's much too late to vote now and these post-election votes can do nothing except perhaps upset Retch since he seems to have taken the lead after voting closed, especially if I take into account the emails (don't ask me why they're emailing me their votes) that I've received. Decision's made, they're all good, but at the end of the day, AdamWest ended up with the lion's share.
Go to Top of Page

AdamWest
- FB Fan -

20 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2003 :  17:21:59  Show Profile  Visit AdamWest's Homepage
Dean,

I didn't know that all votes had to be posted. I guess I was thinking that you had been keeping a tally of votes you were getting emailed as well. If with those votes, the majority was for Retch's cover....then by all means he can be dubbed "the winner." It's up to you of course since you're organizing this whole sha-bang. But no hard feelings if you want to give the people what they want. Just post your decision here.
Later
-Ryan
Go to Top of Page

whittakerdon
- FB Fan -

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2003 :  19:59:47  Show Profile  Visit whittakerdon's Homepage
didn't see the deadline until i already posted. Nonetheless, the robot concept is intriguing if perhaps not as provocative as the priest. No matter, I think the fact that Adam West was willing to defer demonstrates that he is worthy of the task.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2003 :  23:32:01  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
No, sorry to be unclear Ryan, you won fair and square, including the emails, until about four days after the deadline when I received several emails in favour of Retch. But, no, you certainly won fair and square, and that's all there is to it. Very honourable of you to offer, though, and quite frankly, the reason I did not vote for any of them was that I could not bring myself to choose. I liked all three, each for different reasons. For the record, Ryan and Guilherme both also received emails in their favour. I'm very happy with the response we've gotten from this vote and from all three of the artists, and that it seems to have been a tough decision for everyone. Congratulations again to all.
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  22:53:33  Show Profile
all yall's shit is good, as well as this kickass website...

see you on the other side

"Snooch to the muthaf**kin Nooch"
Go to Top of Page

makeyourheadgopop
- FB Fan -

18 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2003 :  23:48:22  Show Profile  Visit makeyourheadgopop's Homepage
I vote for adamwest. I like robots, and I just really enjoy the design.
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  06:50:03  Show Profile
The second one is the best, I think. But why aren't there more suggestions ?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000