Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  06:06:28  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I now have all the artwork available. Let's hear what everyone thinks. Let us know which you prefer, one vote per person, myself and artists involved will not be voting. Artists, feel free to field any questions about your particular design, but no commenting on others' designs. Voting is open to all members of FrankBlack.net, not just contributors, since everyone will be downloading it anyway. Voting closes Friday, June 20

Ryan "AdamWest" Wiesbrock

Guilherme "Faskner" Dable

Richard "Retch" Hynes

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 06/16/2003 10:27:14

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  07:38:40  Show Profile
Perhaps if each artist could explain a little bit about their work. I like them both, they are very different, which is great, but I'm wondering about a few things. The robot is cool, but, what is it? Did you (Ryan) design the robot or is it from something? In either case, and no offense intended, what does it have to do with Frank (not that is HAS to, I'm just wondering what the inspiration for the design is)? As for the second one, I like the asthetic, simple, clean, kinda moody, but is that a picture of Frank? Also, what of the back of the CD? The tracklist and such. I realize there is no track list yet, but I'd like to see what they have in mind for it, and also if they plan to make art for the "insert" or "booklet". I suppose I'll reserve my voting until all other submissions have been posted.

Edited by - speedy_m on 06/16/2003 07:41:05
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  09:04:49  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Sorry, I should explain: For the moment, the artists have been focusing on doing the covers as it is, otherwise, a lot more work to lose if that design is not chosen. Once the design is chosen, the artist (maybe those who are not chosen will also help with the back, I haven't discussed this with the art team yet) will do the track list and even a disc label to match the motif of the cover. We're taking it in stages.

Secondly, in answer to some of your art questions, I can probably answer a few of them based on my discussions with Ryan and Guilherme. They will probably have some corrections to make, but essentially, the robot was supposed to be some retro-70s named robot (I.M. Robot) which, I suppose symbolizes contributors to the project, where as the one robot in the spotlight would be something like Frank, broken out of the mold. The rest of us aren't him. Secondly, I don't believe that is Frank's bald head, but I do suspect that that is the point, since this person clearly is trying to look like/be Frank, but still is not. Let me know if I'm wrong guys, this is partly my interpretation, and I'd like to hear if others had different impressions.

As for voting, if I don't get the last cover by tonight, then I guess we'll just go ahead with the two, but I wanted to post them today.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  09:07:39  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
And the question of whether Ryan designed the robot is a good one, and I think an important one to have answered.
Go to Top of Page

Retch
- FB Fan -

Ireland
64 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  09:14:24  Show Profile
Dean did you get my artwork ?

Retch.

This ain't no holiday.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  09:20:29  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
No, I didn't Retch. If you could mail it, that'd be fantastic. Then we can get this show started... Ooops, there it is.

Retch has actually started on a -rough- design for the rest as well. Just for the sake of interest, here it is, however, you must bear in mind that ALL artwork above will have matching tracklist/insert/labels and that getting this part done was not a requirement for today. In other words, don't take this into account when voting.

http://homepage.usask.ca/~djk678/YAM-art.JPG

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 06/16/2003 10:16:21
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  09:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Excellent. All three designs are done, in, and up, and if I may so, all looking great. Three absolutely different takes on a cover for the design, I couldn't be more please.

Let the comments and voting begin!

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 06/16/2003 09:46:56
Go to Top of Page

pong
= Cult of Ray =

France
315 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  10:17:24  Show Profile  Visit pong's Homepage
i vote for Guilherme "Faskner" Dable

- Pong

"i'll be on the first fligh"
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  10:23:17  Show Profile
This may be a trifle petty, but the "catholics" art may be inaccurate as the tribute is to Frank whole career, not just FB & the C's. I love the art, and it would probably get my vote, but I thought I'd bring that up. Discuss....
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  10:26:33  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I think it would be OK if we just change the title to "A Tribute to Frank Black"? What do you guys think?
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  10:35:16  Show Profile
I don't know.... then the art starts to make a lot less sense... at least to those who don't know FB, but then, who that doesn't know him will ever see it? Ah fudge, I don't know. More input needed. DISCUSS......
Go to Top of Page

cvanepps
= Cult of Ray =

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  10:35:57  Show Profile
Honestly, I like "Retch's" the best but speedy_m makes a good point about the Catholics thing. Even if the lettering was re-done, that rosary says Catholics too. That might be a good, subtle thing.

What the hell, if the lettering was redone to "A Tribute to Frank Black", my vote goes to Retch!

-= It's not easy to kidnap a fat man. =-
Go to Top of Page

Retch
- FB Fan -

Ireland
64 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  10:42:17  Show Profile
I thought long and hard about this, and my reckoning was that there are a lot of us who appreciate the musicianship that the catholics bring to Frank's songs, and perhaps some of the cover versions will be influenced by what the catholics brought to the song ?
Fair enough, Frank has done work without the catholics, but most of his post pixies work included them.
Anyway the fact that Frank titles the albums "Frank Black and The Catholics" rather than "Frank Black", should we follow by example ?
That said, this is a group effort, and if the majority want it to be just Frank, I'm with it all the way.

Retch.

This ain't no holiday.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  10:47:20  Show Profile
faskner's cover art reminds me too much of Foo Fighters: "There is Nothing Left to Lose" artwork.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  10:54:09  Show Profile
Sorry Retch, I didn't mean to cause problems, it was just a thought really. I like your art a lot, and it wouldn't be terrible to have it stay as is, but I wouldn't be opposed to switching to just Frank. I would have to say you have my vote. Good luck! (and good luck to all, everyone did really well!).
Go to Top of Page

Retch
- FB Fan -

Ireland
64 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  10:56:16  Show Profile
No probs speedy, and cheers.

This ain't no holiday.
Go to Top of Page

cvanepps
= Cult of Ray =

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  10:57:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retch

I thought long and hard about this, and my reckoning was that there are a lot of us who appreciate the musicianship that the catholics bring to Frank's songs, and perhaps some of the cover versions will be influenced by what the catholics brought to the song ?
Fair enough, Frank has done work without the catholics, but most of his post pixies work included them.
Anyway the fact that Frank titles the albums "Frank Black and The Catholics" rather than "Frank Black", should we follow by example ?
That said, this is a group effort, and if the majority want it to be just Frank, I'm with it all the way.

Damn, that's a good point too. You know, I think Retch has turned me around: the Catholics are truly a great band and it looks as though they're not breaking up anytime soon (bite my tongue). So keeping "& The Catholics" might be a better idea.

I still say the rosary is a very nice touch, with or without "& The Catholics", especially the one where it's wrapped around the neck of the guitar. Very cool.

-V.

-= It's not easy to kidnap a fat man. =-
Go to Top of Page

faskner
- FB Fan -

Brazil
75 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  11:07:03  Show Profile
hey derek,

the foo fighters cover's a very nice one - and it's a great record, by the way. but i don't see similarities between them. there's a very famous shot of mike tyson's neck by albert watson that's very similar to the foo fighters cover. i think that the similarities are only in the fact that you have the neck. my point is in the bald head that doesn't belong to frank. the picture could be cropped in other form, just to see the top of the head.

and about the catholics thing: there are many songs that are being covered from the pre-catholics era [mine included]. but it's a very nice job, anyway. i liked it. congratulations, retch.
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  11:54:57  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
I think the one with the rosary looks too much like a Christian record cover. Not because of the rosary, but because of the font and the cheesy faded frame around it.

I like the concept of the bald one, but the execution is too thrown together. I'd like a little more detail in the way it's framed. I also think the design would work better if the text were a little lower and smaller. Is there a reason why the "e" in "Me" is running off frame?

I vote for the robot one - that is, if he designed the robot. I think it best represents the fun and light-heartedness of the project. It's also colorful and catchy, i.e. - I like looking at it.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

faskner
- FB Fan -

Brazil
75 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  12:23:17  Show Profile
the "e" is running off frame because i think it looked cool. :)

and i like the empty area around the bald head.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  14:00:45  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
I definitely prefer Retch's artwork, but the issue of whether "& The Catholics" should be included in the title is a stickler indeed.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  14:09:14  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Personally, I'm OK with keeping the "& the Catholics" on the CD, especially since they do such a fantastic job playing the stuff from Frank's solo times as well (though they COULD play more of it, if you ask me). At the same time, I don't think we're slighting the Catholics by removing it since this most definitely is a tribute to the works of Frank Black. Personally, I can see no problem with going in either direction, so whatever weighs in the heaviest, I guess. The argument can be applied to any/all of the discs, though it's perhaps not as important a distinction with Ryan's and Guilherme's covers. Anyway, keep the votes coming.
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  14:54:04  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
my vote is for "AdamWest"....

but the "Retch" one would definitely work, only if "& the Catholics" is included though. Otherwise, it might come off as a little weird.

The "Faskner" one is good too, I really dig the simplicity of it...but (like someone mentioned) I'd like to see the bald head a little more thoughtfully framed on the cover....and the "E" running off doesn't look cool, it looks like a mistake.

So my current vote goes to the robot cover.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  20:01:03  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
The robot cover, if it made more sense, LOL. I just like the style and colors.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  21:02:58  Show Profile
i vote for "Faskner" too.. i like the composition of everything, and the font.. only complaint: wouldn't it make more sense to have a picture of the back of Frank's head? even if it wasn't the back of his head, but his head (but still in the same upsidedown and crooked position)..
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  22:44:52  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by faskner

the "e" is running off frame because i think it looked cool. :)

and i like the empty area around the bald head.

Cool, I was actually asking for more space between the head and the text. I'm being ultra-critical mind you.

As for the debate over weither or not "& the Catholics" should be included, I say "Who cares?" I don't think it really matters. Cult of Ray and Oddballs were recorded with essentially The Catholics line-up and they're both just FB records. You could exaggerate this arguement to the extreme of giving lip service to all the musicians such as: "A Tribute to FB, Eric Drew Feldmen, Nick Vincent, etc." Why not include the producers and engineers? Our tributes are probably more influenced by the arrangements and sonic elements that they provided than by the actual playing.
Basically, no matter who is invited to perfrom, it's Frank's fucking circus and I think it should be Frank's fucking tribute. The Catholics aren't even the same from album to album.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  22:56:34  Show Profile
The Robot one, i dig the font
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  01:23:18  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
3 very cool covers. My vote goes to the robot one though.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  07:17:29  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
i go with retch's - i relaly enjoy it

-brian
Go to Top of Page

steveplymouthuk
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  08:28:18  Show Profile  Visit steveplymouthuk's Homepage
faskner
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  11:32:22  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
Thanks to all 3 artists for making this a tough choice: Retch
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  11:54:05  Show Profile
faskner, though I like the overall color/design scheme of adam west too. I'd like it more if the robots didn't seem arbitrary. I like the sophistication of retch but the cross is a deal breaker for me, the Catholics reference notwithstanding. Good work from all three.
Go to Top of Page

AdamWest
- FB Fan -

20 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  12:54:41  Show Profile  Visit AdamWest's Homepage
Hi all

Sorry, I hadn't found this string until Dean pointed me to it. It was kinda hidden.

Okay. The robot. Yes, most definitely is is my own design. So why the robot? A lot of FB and Pixies songs often deal with Sci-fi kinda subject matter... so I thought the robot coming to life thing fit with what is normally associated with FB.

As far as whether it makes any sense... Have you seen the Cult of Ray cover? What the hell does that mean? :)

Seriously though...I really tried to come up with an idea that represented the phrase "You Ain't Me" in a cool way. I thought if a bunch of mindless robots were on a shelf and one came to life and escaped it would illustrate this idea..of standing out from the crowd. Is that robot Frank Black...maybe. Maybe he's you. The reason the ones on the shelf say I.M. Robot was to further comment on conformity. I mean I could've put a bunch of people standing there with guitars saying "I'm a musician"..but I think that's a little too literal..and not as fun. It's a way of saying a lot of people out there are not very innovative. They're all carbon copies of each other, but every once in awhile one person is able to stand out and say "You Ain't Me" to all the other brainless drones.

So I dunno...look at most of the CD's in your collection. Do their all make perfect sense to you at their first viewing. The ones I've most enjoyed don't. You look at them awhile and try to extract your own meaning. That's what I hoped some people would do with this cover.

Oh and my 2 cents on Faskner's design... I don't think it has anything to do with the Foo Fighter's album so..rock on with your bad self Guilherme!
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  13:34:55  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage
We are the robots.

Adam West
Go to Top of Page

eugovector
- FB Fan -

21 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  13:40:56  Show Profile
I vote Retch, I like the back degin too. If there was actually a cut out Frank Black mask (a la Being John Malkovitch) that would be sweet, one on the guy on the back, or even included in the artwork for us to cut out and wear while we listen to it.

And even if we do pick one "official" artwork, couldn't the other three artist finish and put theirs up for download as well?

Edited by - eugovector on 06/17/2003 13:42:39
Go to Top of Page

FranknWeezer
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  13:46:29  Show Profile
I vote for the robots one to win...second place (and best put together) is the rosary one, b/c that it places a little too much emphasis on "the catholics".

-FranknWeezer
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000