Posted - 06/24/2003 :  11:48:21  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
eeeeee! eeee eee eeeeeeeee!
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2003 :  15:01:11  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
I don't know if this has already been said, as I am too busy to look through three pages, but I think the shure SM58 is a great vocal microphone.
Go to Top of Page

molin
- FB Fan -

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  08:53:52  Show Profile  Visit molin's Homepage
instruments/vox line-in or mic'd via an old Realistic 33-1073a unidirectional mic with no top
->Boss BR-8 (digital 8 track)
->plugged into Creative Nomad to make wavfile (easier to get a good level)
->Audacity 1.0 (minor wavfile editing)
Go to Top of Page

eebee
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  06:05:24  Show Profile  Visit eebee's Homepage
tomorrow, to recording, im taking a vantage 335 copy with bigsby, a squier jagmaster, and a park by marshall amp. im only doing demos to give to potential gig places but i may use this crazy thing http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22669&item=2544339880 a weird dod two pedal thing delay and a danelectro tremelo. i just sold my squier telecaster and hondo telecaster to pay for recording http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=2543136056 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=2543134787
the studio is http://freespace.virgin.net/mmc.studio64/recording.htm

Edited by - eebee on 07/10/2003 06:07:18
Go to Top of Page

eugovector
- FB Fan -

21 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  09:22:44  Show Profile
I asked this question in the tribute CD thread, but no help yet. Does anyone have a link to info on the basics of mastering? I need to learn how to use compression and what not. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

AdamWest
- FB Fan -

20 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  10:14:45  Show Profile  Visit AdamWest's Homepage
Try getting a crack of the program T-Racks. It's a decent little program that allows you to bring in wavs, master and export. It's very simple to use and is set up similar to a real rack system. There's knobs and stuff you can adjust. What I normally do is choose a preset as a starting point and then fiddle with the knobs to get it how I like.

-Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  16:20:47  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Here's some basics:

Compression -

Ratio - 1.5:1 to 2:1
Threshhold - Should be barely compressing most of the time, maybe more if you want to level out the loud sections
Attack - Slow. Atleast 100ms but usually slower. Faster if you need to control peaky vocals or if you want that squashed Weezer sound
Release - Relatively fast. Setting it to automatic works a lot of the time.

EQ -

The standard thing to do is to boost the really highs and really lows. Use a shelf and boost around 1.5dB from 50-60Hz and below and from 16kHZ and above. Use your ears! You can also use the EQ to fix general frequency problems. Boosting a little around 2.5kHz seems to add clarity most of the time. I put the EQ after the compressor in the chain so the boost isn't affecting the compression.

Limiting - This is last in line.

You should set your output at -.01dB or equivalent so you get maximum level without clipping. The Limiter should be fairly transparent. Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about analog limiters because I primarily work with the Waves Ultramaximizer which does a lot of things for me. You want it to be limiting very rarely.

Aside from that, there are aural exciters, spacializers, and other ear candy you can use, but I wouldn't. They usually just make things sound out of phase. One trick that is useful is to put a little reverb under the whole mix. This helps make the mix sound more uniform - like it was all recorded in the same space. Basically, you have to use your ears, experiment with different things, and practice doing it. Listen to the song in a variety of environments using various speakers and headphones to get an idea of what it sounds like when the average Joe is listening to it. Listen quietly and listen loudly as well.

If you're really hardcore about learning to master, there's a book for sale called "The Mastering Engineer's Handbook". You can buy it on Amazon.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000