Page: of 3

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2003 :  09:29:07  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage
Recording:

Logic Platinum (am I the only one?)
Fostex MR-8 digital 8-track (aka Red Steve)
Shure SM58

Sound makers:

Fender Strat
Fender P-Bass
Drum Machine
Organ (?)
Infinite pedals and effects

1c
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  13:42:49  Show Profile
i noticed no one uses cubase or vegas to record...
is cooledit or whatever that good?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  14:16:01  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Nope, just simple. It does the trick for most amateur recordings/recorders (including myself), but there are other software packages out there with more features and stronger algorithms that are minus a friendly UI. I used to use Soundforge quite a bit, but CoolEdit won out somehow.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  17:21:04  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
I guess i'm a no one - i said i use Cubase SX. =)
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  22:58:57  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noexx

i noticed no one uses cubase or vegas to record...
is cooledit or whatever that good?

I use vegas as a waveform editor, but it gets REALLY sluggish really fast when you add tracks and or plug-ins. It's the best waveform editor I've ever used however.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  10:38:46  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage
Isn't Vegas a multimedia program? If so, I don't see how it could be that good considering it doesn't specialize in sound. The reason I'm asking is because I could use a better wave editor.. I'm not overly thrilled with logic, but it does the trick. Any other suggestions (other than cooledit)?

1c
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  23:03:29  Show Profile
i like vegas for quick stuff that doesn't need real-time plug-ins....
but otherwise cubase is really fun.....
sorry dave, didn't see your post that said you use cubase sx.....
ryan
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  10:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by theonecontender

Isn't Vegas a multimedia program? If so, I don't see how it could be that good considering it doesn't specialize in sound. The reason I'm asking is because I could use a better wave editor.. I'm not overly thrilled with logic, but it does the trick. Any other suggestions (other than cooledit)?

1c

It's excellent as a waveform editor. I edit audiobooks for a living and use it exclusively. It draws very clear waveforms, you can use the mouse's scroll wheel to zoom in and out, and it's non-destructive editing so if you screw up, you can just drag the inset out and fix it.

It also renders very quickly. I'd say with no plug-ins it would do an hour in ten minutes. I use Vegas Audio which is an older version. The newer ones are called Vegas Video, but still have the same audio abilities as the old one.

Vegas Video will actually burn CD's straight off the multitrack if you have the right kind of burner!

Like I said before, it sucks as a multitrack. And it's PC only!

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  13:06:28  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage
Good summary.

Thanks A4C

1c
Go to Top of Page

Retch
- FB Fan -

Ireland
64 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  06:22:15  Show Profile
A little bit late to this one....

•Boss digital 8 track
•sm57
•pro tools free
•mexican strat
•acoustic guitar
•marshall amp (wrecked)
•harmonica (30 years old)
•various pedals, drum machines, etc.

the analogue/digital debate aside...whats the story with pro tools free, and whats the difference between it and the full pro tools package ?
I just downloaded it and started banging away, and it seems fairly good, does anyone have any experience with it ?

Retch.

This ain't no holiday.
Go to Top of Page

Dinsdale
- FB Fan -

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  09:08:00  Show Profile  Visit Dinsdale's Homepage
My setup:

-Yamaha AW16G DAW
-Fender Tele (mexi)
-Cheap Audio Technica Mic
-Vox Brian May Amp
-Cheap Epiphone Amp (borrowed)
-Boss Blues Driver pedal
-Boss Auto-Wah (got it free)
-Line 6 Pod 2.1

-Dinsdale
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  09:16:50  Show Profile
What is everyone's opinon of mixers and 4-tracks? Dean and myself have recently purchased 4 sm57's and are faced with a problem. We're old school lo-fi with a Tascam 424 4-track with no XLR inputs. So I think we've decided on buying a new mixer, mostly likely with 10 inputs (for future expansion). Any thoughts or suggestions? What are the options we have? Anything we should be doing differently? Also, what's the best way to mic up drums? As I've said, we have 4 sm57's at our disposal, though we may use one or two of those for guitar and bass. Please help, we are recording novices and need to get an album done soon or we will explode. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  11:24:30  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Mackie, definitely. They are the best lower-priced mixers you can get, from what I understand. Their preamps are excellent, and I hear they're built like a fucking tank. I heard a story of people dropping them down a flight of stairs and another story of someone throwing one purposely against a brick wall and having it work just fine.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  10:19:26  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Hey, you can get XLR to 1/4" adapters, tho they always seem ridiculously overpriced.

Makie's are good, tho you might want to look into a good dedicated mic preamp as well.

I'm sell my Mackie 1402 if anyone's interested. ;)

(Getting a Really Nice Preamp in it's place..i only ever use two channels, and would like a better sounding preamp..)
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  12:17:31  Show Profile
We are trying to avoid buying XLR adapters. Expensive, annoying, sound qaulity issues... etc. Tell me more about this Mackie 1402.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  20:31:56  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yes, we are collectively intrigued. Also, anyone know anything about Samson? We're trying out the "6" channel MDR6 variety to see how it sounds, but since it's the only mixer we've used, we have nothing to compare it against.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  21:06:45  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Samson? Sounds like a nonamer to me....go with the Mackie!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  21:41:28  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
It's definitely a cheaper one. BTW, I must have missed the boat, but congrats on breaking 1000. I guess I'm next <ahem, choke>
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2003 :  13:26:10  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Thank you, thank you :)
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2003 :  13:33:01  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
1402 - 14ch mixer, it's got sliders, 6 XLR preamps (why don't you like XLR??), inserts for those 6..it can be mounted on a rack..great mixer.

And, if you're in the US, you'll get a boatload of savings thanks to the $ difference. =)

Send me a private note if you're interested.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2003 :  14:19:50  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
We love XLR, but we didn't have anything with inputs. Dave, have you heard of this so-called Samson? Maybe it's a Canadian only product or something. It's lower end but decent and not lots of moola. It's got combo XLR/TRS jacks and everything and gets a better sound than one drum mic, but we have no mixer experience to compare it with. Atheist?

As for interest, Dave - I'll send you a public note. You can send me a private note avec details if you wouldn't mind. Also, if someone who's not Dave would like to comment on Mackie mixers, that'd be appreciated too. :) Thanks, Jim, for your opinion.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2003 :  16:34:23  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Dave, just out of pure curiosity, how much were you looking to sell it for?
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2003 :  21:26:25  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Ooh..this would be handy if i sold it here.. =)

I'm asking $800 CA, which is about $600US. OBO of course. The biggest music shop in Canada sells 'em for $960 new (plus taxes).

Dean - never heard of Samson..? Any other details you wanna know?

Mackie's are known as being the best bang for your buck for mixers - sound way the hell better than Behringers...especially with the new VLZ-Pro pre's.

Sorry for clogging up your thread Dean!
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  11:35:19  Show Profile
This ain't Dean's thread, no apologies needed to that punk. The Mackie sounds like a good mixer, but $800 dollars is a bit more than we had in mind. We are indeed looking at a Samson which we assured by the guy at our local cool guitar shop is quality cheese. The one we may order has 10 XLR inputs, which is huge, and it retails for under 600 bones. So if you can give us a better deal/tell why we MUST get the Mackie....

And by biggest music shop in Canada, do you mean Tom Lee? That place is a musicians playground. I love it. I also love my little independant music store where I buy everything, but for sheer size and awe-factor, Tom Lee is mui caliente.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  13:55:19  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I don't have some secret deal going on with Dave here, but if I were you I would not settle for something that's $200 less than something about probably about 1/2 the quality at most. I'm the biggest advocate of the "you get what you pay for" motto...and if I were spending a shitload of money on something that I'm going to have for a long time, I would invest in the "best bang for the buck." Therefore, I say save up some money and get that Mackie. Anything less isn't worth it. You'll be stuck with a mixer that's "ok." Oh, and you can get the Mackie 1402 brand new from Musician's Friend for $529 US...how dare you rip them off, Dave! You shouldn't ask for any more than $500...$475 would be a steal.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  13:57:57  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Well, besides the 6 preamps blowing away the 10 in the Samson, i can only recommend you get something with less inputs, as the 'more' you get for less $$, you've GOT to be losing something. Unless you know you'll need 10 in's, i'd get something higher-grade..but this could also be fine for whatever you're doing. =)

Here's a page with a bunch of mixers:

http://www.samsonmixers.com/store/recording/mixers/default.asp

The US$ conversion ain't so great...US$530 for a brand new 1402 - yikes.
Go to Top of Page

eugovector
- FB Fan -

21 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  17:10:12  Show Profile
Okay,

I'm selling off a lot of my setup and reinvesting. So far I have added:

1 Shure Beta87 mic (for vocals)

I need a preamp. I'm looking at the ART TPS or something from Behringer (T1953?). Behringer doesn't have a limiter (bad for digital), but damn does it look cool and I like the idea of being able to stock it with two different tubes for two different sounds.

Input?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  18:06:26  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Thanks anyway, Dave... we actually gound a pretty decently priced 1402 for $350 US, but the auction expired much quicker than you probably could've responded, so we took it rather than lose it and try to haggle you to the same price. But, if it makes you feel better, a large part of it was on your and El Barto's recommendations.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  20:27:10  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Good catch! Hope you guys enjoy it, COF.

eugo: I hear the Presonus BlueTube pre or the FMRAudio RNP (Really Nice Preamp) are both really good...especially the RNP.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  23:19:12  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Aye, i haven't heard the RNP, but when the supplier in Vancouver gets them in, i plan to get one..should be the best sounding thing for $1000 more than it costs..

Nop prob Dean - glad you scored one!!!!! I wouldn't have gone that low anyway. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  13:39:16  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Woo! Just found out the Canadian distro in Vancouver is getting RNP's in! $700CA - yip!
Go to Top of Page

KennySue
- FB Fan -

New Zealand
24 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  10:00:22  Show Profile  Visit KennySue's Homepage
AMD Duron 1.3G with 256 rammy-whammy for processing and shit.

Windows 98 Second Edition for Systems Operations and even more shit.

MED SoundStudio v1.5 ( available from http://www.med.uk.com ) for Tracking, Sequencing, Drum Programming and all that groovy shit.

Sound Blaster Live! audio card for sampling and stealing shit.

Creative WaveStudio for cleaning up the shit.

Vocals recorded with a Sony 8mm Camcorder plugged into the Sound Blaster Live!

Yes! “Classic Camcorder” - in the words of the song.*

That’s it really. A simple set-up and a shitload of luck – I mean talent.

Peace, Love and Thud ( available from http://www.thudgame.com ).

Kenny-Sue.

*Men In Black by Frank Black from The Cult of Frank (1996).
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  10:13:50  Show Profile
As of todayish:

4 SM57's and one cheapish Behringer

Shure something-or-other. works great for vocals.

Mackie 1402 VZL-Pro mixer (thanks for the tips Dave and Jim)

TASCAM 424 4-track

Mexican Fender Sratocaster
Randall RSC100 Amp

Casio Sumthin' Keyboard
Kustom Amp

Tama Superstar with Canwood snare and cheap Sabian ride and hi hats with sweet Sabian El Sabor crash.

Patience and a complete lack of recording knowledge. Lo-fi DIY baby!

Oh, and a computer with Cool Edit and Dean's ridiculous patience and squinting ability. He could squint out racoons on the highway.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  14:17:19  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
There's that laughing at work again. I swear if I get fired today, I'm so coming after you. :)

Oh, and we actually did our first live-to-two track session this weekend (we've kind of half done it before, but...), and it sounded decent. Parts. But doing so pretty much requires a sound tech. or at least someone with a good ear to be adjusting levels as needed for the songs. I have the mixer by my keyboard and when I have a hand free I can quickly adjust something, but I assure you it's not the best way to do things.

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 06/23/2003 14:19:15
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  15:21:53  Show Profile
Those weren't racoons, they were mailboxes. I didn't have the heart to tell you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000