Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  01:20:00  Show Profile
Not "about" mr Black - inspired by. It would be a true creative contribution. Tribute albums are, 95% of the time, not very interesting (i haven't listened to the one by the board). Few manage to bring anything new and worthwhile into already brilliant songs. And if you did it on the previous try, chances are you'll not make it again.

Artists rip off other artists all the time. It would be no different from other compilations, only that we'd openly admit where we took it from.
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  02:17:24  Show Profile
i got wild and finished a song for a pixies tribute the other day. i hope no one else does it and i can submit it. whatever.
ryan
http://www.pinback.com
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  03:08:57  Show Profile
crapola...that link shouldn't have followed my post...i hate that!
ryan
Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  06:03:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by noexx

i got wild and finished a song for a pixies tribute the other day. i hope no one else does it and i can submit it. whatever.
ryan
http://www.pinback.com

And if you can't submit it, BFD. Didja have fun? That's what matters!

"Sacred cows make the best burgers!"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  07:20:18  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Steak n Sabre

Sorry, that was an off the cuff remark that seems to be the equvialent of an M-80 going off in my hand.
Of course it is much to soon to undertake another project. I was only trying to encourage everyone to start developing some ideas for when the time comes, and should have been more literal in saying that. Dropping down and giving 20......

No worries, sorry I came off so snippity, probably just a bad day. And I'm only 50% responsible for the plague of locusts, I swear. :)
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  13:26:56  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ivandivel

I agree that that tribute albums have limited interest, but what about a worship album? I am not thinking psalms, but more like songs that obviously are inspired by the great man. There is no one that i have learned so many tricks from as mr Black. Would be nice to show some respect by openly admitting that these songs are inspired, or perhaps ripped directly (riffs/vocal style/ lyrics) from his catalogue. I have at least two songs that are pretty "franky" in structure and how it is played. Hell, mr Black openly admitted his inspirations and rip-offs in the liner notes of one his albums (was it oddballs?). Maybe we could call it "trying to be frank".

This idea is pretty cool. Certainly worth considering once we catch our breath. I'd guess quite a few of us already have stuff in the can that reeks of FB influence.
If tracks like Velvety Inst. Mix, Manta Ray, and Ceclia Ann were the call, this could be called my response. www.sixthstation.com/fi/mp3.html
Sorry it's not streaming, so it will take as long as 4.3 meg takes to download.
All comments welcome, via e-mail please.
Go to Top of Page

mkingicus
- FB Fan -

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  12:27:52  Show Profile
That is a great idea. I think I would rather do that than actually cover an FB tune. I tend to use some off times/beats that resemble things that Frank had mastered (invented, maybe). It makes music a little more interesting and less ordinary. I would definately like to be a part of something like that, if it ever happened.

M King
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  06:59:03  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
It's a mighty fine line between influence and plagarism when you specifically set it up as a "Influenced by FB Tribute". I'm afraid it's just going to sound like a rip-off fest. Why don't we just do a Forum Sampler and have people submit they're best stuff regardless of weither it sounds like Frank. As influenced as I am by FB I don't think I have any songs that sound remotely like his.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  07:45:52  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Atheist4Catholics

It's a mighty fine line between influence and plagarism when you specifically set it up as a "Influenced by FB Tribute". I'm afraid it's just going to sound like a rip-off fest. Why don't we just do a Forum Sampler and have people submit they're best stuff regardless of weither it sounds like Frank. As influenced as I am by FB I don't think I have any songs that sound remotely like his.

www.mp3.com/clootie

Why don't we just have a "Crossroads" style guitar-off linked via RealAudio and whoever plays the most notes wins a Frank Black plectrum.
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  08:39:20  Show Profile
quote:

www.mp3.com/clootie

Exactly. It might sound like a rip-off fest. And it might not. And it definetely does not have to sound like Frank Black. I am very poor at plagarism - my songs never end up like the one i was influenced by. And it might sound very bad, or good. I just think it would be a little more interesting than a bunch of covers.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  12:15:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by the swimmer

quote:

www.mp3.com/clootie

Why don't we just have a "Crossroads" style guitar-off linked via RealAudio and whoever plays the most notes wins a Frank Black plectrum.

Psssst... Bass-off at the Hothouse!

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  12:28:03  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Well, the next album is a Pixies tribute involving straight covers. There's no changing that, although this is very interesting speculation for any future projects following it. I don't really know how much I like the idea of a FB tribute CD of music from bands that happen to like him and/or claim some influence, whether obvious or not. I like the idea of listening to the music, but I think that can be done without making it into a compilation CD of sorts through website links and so on. You hear an artist you like, look up their website in the Tribute CD page or in the MP3's ID3 tag.

I've checked out all the bands that have covered songs and have websites etc, with mixed results. I'd definitely recommend you all do the same. I don't imagine there are any musicians on the FB forum who would claim they derive no influence from Frank Black, so you're pretty much safe to download anyone's music from here and create a CD.
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  13:05:54  Show Profile
okidoki - it was a suggestion only. It was meant as a little "hats off" - paying homage - to the man himself - in a different way than making covers.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  13:58:55  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Wasn't meaning to veto it as a potential idea, but just wanted to keep it clear that the next project IS a Pixies Tribute. It's an interesting idea otherwise, and the rest was just my thoughts on the idea... keep the ideas coming.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000