Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2003 :  20:49:05  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
If this CD tribute actually works, what do you think about doing a Frank Black/Pixies album-by-album cover album? Make it limited to those who can actively contribute, have stiff deadlines due to the scope of the project...perhaps just have X people per album where X is the number of tracks. If not, each person could do 2 tracks or something. We could all make our "album pick" and has it out between ourselves if someone picks someone else's song...we can start with a shorter album like "Frank Black" and go from there. We'll say 2 weeks per song or something like that. Yes/no?

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2003 :  23:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Whaddya mean "if"?!?! :)

I figured the next one on the chopping block would be a general Pixies album much like the current project... this is an interesting idea you bring up, though, but I would recommend waiting to see how the tribute CD goes before getting too active on something like this. We don't want to dilute everyone's enthusiasm so that we end up with nothing.

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 05/06/2003 23:48:28
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  00:07:36  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
i'll do whatever you guys decide on - this has been a lot of fun so far (and a bit challenging), and i'd totally do it again

-brian
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  12:11:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

...but I would recommend waiting to see how the tribute CD goes before getting too active on something like this. We don't want to dilute everyone's enthusiasm so that we end up with nothing.

I don't see harm in discussing this. I mean, Frank Black released two albums in one day (so we could at least talk about the second tribute project). The tribute is well enough in the middle stages that this wont deter anyone's enthusiasm away from the tribute album or whatever.

So Jim, you mean like, start with Frank Black album #1 and cover ALL the songs off that, then when that's done cover everything from Teenager? I think that's what you mean right?

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  14:03:30  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Well, we don't have to go in order of albums, but yeah, that's what I mean. If we can get a group of people together who are A) interested and B) have enough spare time to devote to this, I think we can pull it off. We cover the entire album...we can even go so far as to collaborate (let's say, someone records a drum track and sends it as a WAV to someone else...this will require broadband). It would be an interesting listen, to hear an entire album as played by different people.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  14:15:38  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yeah, it's a pretty cool idea.
Go to Top of Page

chucksfan
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  17:24:35  Show Profile
I'm into this!

The Pixies-cover band I'm in is supposed to be doing "Surfer Rosa" in its entirety. This may spur us on!
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  17:39:53  Show Profile
Maybe this was brought up on the Abstract plain so maybe it's not my idea... but i thought of another tribute album we could do someday. It would be funny to do a goofy Frank Black cover album. Have odd-genre versions of different songs. Like a heavy metal version of Calistan, a techno version of Bartholomew, and so forth. Now THIS is something that doesn't need to materialize til after the tribute album is finished. lol.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  19:28:38  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
This is all getting really complicated, really quickly. My brain hurts . . .

I like the "Orchestra Correspondi" idea. I know we already have a billion guitar players, but I'm also a damn fine vocalist and I can play a mean Jaw Harp as well.

If anyone is interested . . .

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  20:57:28  Show Profile
I have a baritone ukulele I can shred. Some old lady let me borrow it.. and.. heh.. she died a few weeks later and it's still in my possesion.

I wish I had broadband because I'd love to contribute with people from the forum. Oh well.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

ericr
- FB Fan -

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  20:32:07  Show Profile  Visit ericr's Homepage
Sure, sounds neat, let me know when it happens though...

(I remember saying about 3 years ago on Abstract Plain "Hey, let's do a Frank Black tribute album"... everybody had already heard that idea before, still everybody got really psyched, everybody said they'd submit something, in the end nobody got the beat...)

Eric R.

http://puerco.iuma.com
Go to Top of Page

GirlieSoGroovy
- FB Fan -

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  17:22:33  Show Profile
if anybody needs any violin work, I could lend a few fingers... that broadband thing sounds pretty cool. and I've covered most Pixies songs and a couple of FB on guitars and whatever, so i think it'd be cool to add a stringy flair to a lot of songs. lots of TOTY would be awesome with violin! I've got loads of time this summer, so let me know if y'all are interested. My AIM is ZZJebusZZ.

-Lisa

--Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  10:39:22  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ProverbialCereal

Maybe this was brought up on the Abstract plain so maybe it's not my idea... but i thought of another tribute album we could do someday. It would be funny to do a goofy Frank Black cover album. Have odd-genre versions of different songs. Like a heavy metal version of Calistan, a techno version of Bartholomew, and so forth. Now THIS is something that doesn't need to materialize til after the tribute album is finished. lol.

-Derek

I'm thinking exactly along these lines, except this would not be goofy or funny would it? Making a song work in a different genre is the best reason to cover it in the first place. I already have a list of a dozen FB tunes that a just waiting to be re-arranged in some manner for future forum projects. Now for the irony, our version of 1826 ended up pretty straight, but believe me, nobodys going to mistake ours for the original.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  11:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
I'm hoping some people will be doing wild things with their covers....?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  12:26:54  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
There are cover that both defy the original genre and covers that are pretty true to the original, so fear not.
Go to Top of Page

vegan
- FB Fan -

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  19:50:46  Show Profile
Having missed out on the F tribute due to a cross-country bicycle trip, I'm ready for the Pixies tribute. Any idea when it might get underway?

"Let's rock"
-Little Man From Another Planet
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  21:25:22  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Soon :)

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  13:10:40  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
Everybody should just start recording NOW. I am...well as soon as I pick a track anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  15:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I know this is hard for everyone to understand, but those involved in the organization need a bit of a respite from the last one and I think it's in the best interest of You Ain't Me to have a little time to sink in. What the rush? We're not going anywhere, I swear. You want to start recording, fine, great, I admire your enthusiasm. But I'm saying here and now that if someone else gets signed up for the track you recorded first, too bad. I'm not trying to be a bastard, but damn it, I need a rest like you wouldn't believe, and I imagine others do too. It's not fair to them or to the album contributors (even though you are one) to start right now. We're (the webteam) still discussing the next one and a few important details anyway, so it would really be quite a bit too early.

Summary: if you think starting recording now will somehow secure you getting to do the track you want, think again. Consider the consequences if everyone were to do this or even claim to do this.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  16:22:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

I know this is hard for everyone to understand, but those involved in the organization need a bit of a respite from the last one and I think it's in the best interest of You Ain't Me to have a little time to sink in. What the rush? We're not going anywhere, I swear.
Summary: if you think starting recording now will somehow secure you getting to do the track you want, think again. Consider the consequences if everyone were to do this or even claim to do this.

I second that emotion. Record labels space out their releases for a reason. People need time to adequately digest these things. I don't know what the tally is so far, but I's be surprised if more than a few hundred people had downloaded You Ain't Me.

There's probably 10,000 people worldwide who would dig it, so let's wait until it makes its way back to us if you know what I mean...

Also, it's worth noting that while the initial idea was geared toward people who frequent the FTP site and these boards in general, if it becomes too insular, then we're just chasing our tails and doing it for a relatively small number of ears.

We should be aiming higher, and with that goal comes plenty of planning and forethought.

I say, let's use this first foray as a wonderful way to examine and work out any kinks before anyone dives in again. I'd love for each subsequent tribute download to be better than the last – in every respect.

After a few, it might even make sense to compile the drop-dead best tracks from them all into one absolutely killer retail-ready (and royalties paid) glass-mastered disc...

I will say, however, that virtually evrerything about the way this first one was handled was logical, even-handed, up-front and considerate, which is a lot more than I can say about other similar projects I've been involved with.

Dean and company did a great job with what could easily have turned ugly and unmanageable. The more press these things get for the site, the greater the odds that they will become just that. So, let's all put our thinking caps on...

p.s. Just so you'll know, I've already recorded note-perfect renditions of side A of each of the Pixies official LPs, plus a handful of rare cuts. If anyone wants an alphabetical list of all the tracks which I've obviously reserved, just e-mail me and I'll send you a PowerPoint display.

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  16:51:16  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
I bagsy "Dead"!

http://www.nimrods-son.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  19:10:15  Show Profile
First off, I would strongly suggest, after the dust settles, having what we in the project management world call a post-mortem/lessons learned session. Perhaps by chat, or perhaps by a thread, but just a brainstorm of those (sorry to get all successories of everybody, but this is my job....) questions that we constructively answer about the project itself -- not the end product but the process used to achieve that end product. You know the questions: What was done well, what wasn't done so well, what should be kept the same, what to do differently, etc. Compile and publish the results, and share it with other-fan based organizations.

This project was extremely well-managed, but I think before diving into several album-specific tributes (a wonderful idea), what's been talked about as a Pixies tribute is probably the next logical step in this forum's evolution. There's a call for it, perhaps let the dust settle on FB stuff, whatever. Album by album might be a scope too large for this group to leap into quite yet.

Second, in defense of my husband, I think he was joking. I'm squeezing a baby out in 8 weeks** (yes I am in countdown mode) and if anybody thinks in four weeks either of us are lumbering into a studio...(shit my lung capacity is such that just going up a flight of stairs gets me winded, if anybody thinks I'm going to be able to belt out a song they're crazy...). but also, honestly, I'm sure there's people itching to get the next project started and are fumbling around ideas in their head. This current thing is fairly inspiring and exciting, and I'm sure there's many who didn't participate this time around who are anxious to participate next time. We've already gotten much "lessons learned" via the constructive criticism. But we both hear ya -- as a PM I know that Dean probably would like to get some sleep -- especially when he's not making a dime out of this and this is a labor of love. Even love needs sleep, and as impending newborn parents we know that as well as anybody.

(**BTW, we know its a boy, and the c is scheduled for Sept 24, so we haven't left much for baby pool operators...)

"Sacred cows make the best burgers!"

Edited by - blackpurse on 07/31/2003 19:13:07
Go to Top of Page

molin
- FB Fan -

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  20:45:46  Show Profile  Visit molin's Homepage
How about this: Everybody who wants to do a song signs up. Then they get assigned a tune randomly. Crazy or just crazy enough?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  00:23:51  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Well, first off, thanks to all of you for appreciating what it takes. I look at the CD now and already think, "How did this eat up so much time?" but it honestly did. Ask Mike. :) I hope I didn't come off as attacking Brian, but I did actually think he was serious and just wanted to head that off at the pass before people started listing their songs and it became a free-for-all.

As Jim (I suppose I should call people by their aliases so I'm not leaving anyone in the dark)... As Peter Radiator said, as these things generate more press, it will become more unmanageable. Already I receive several emails a day asking, "Can I claim this track for the next tribute" or "Is it too late to sign up for artwork for the Frank Black Tribute Album?" or ... you name it. And I think that what we're going to find is a lot larger group of people wanting to do covers of a much smaller group of songs. This worries me from an organizational standpoint (I had enough problems keeping up with 60 of you) and from an overlap standpoint. If I don't limit the number of people participating, then chances are that several people will want to do the same song. Do I let them? Does this encourage even more hard feelings and competition? Because this is supposed to be for fun, guys. Remember that. As Veronica said, it's a labour of love. And I'd also love to have the whole world hear it and, aside from supporters like mere (thank-you, by the way), have them comment on the absurdity of Elvis singing His Kingly Cave, but the fact is that we are limited and we have to deal with that.

I've been talking with Sarah about the possibility of SpinArt doing anything with this, and I'll be honest that it doesn't seem all that likely. Hopefully she'll be able to answer more definitely when she's heard the CD enough times, but just from a legalities and organizational point of view, it won't be easy - as Peter Radiator also said. But I haven't ruled it out and between Sarah Flynn and Ken Goes, well, we'll see. If someone with more experience and contacts in the field would like to help me try for such a thing, I'd be there to support it 100% and help make it happen, but I'm not sure that it's the right time or album.

Also, thanks for the compliments on the project management Veronica and Jim. I've actually been taking a look at my own life and thinking that the one thing remaining constant is my apparent affection for getting projects going and accomplishing things that didn't seem all that possible, and I think this is what I want to end up doing... if I don't run a restaurant. :)

Anyway, I have been discussing the next CD and a few sort of preliminary details with the webteam and things that may need to change for the next album, and I see no reason why we can't move the brainstorming discussion out into the open and get everyone's opinions. Not to say that every idea listed is going to be followed, but a little discussionon the matter can't hurt. I'll start a thread next week, I'd just like to hear back from the group on a few things before that happens.

So everyone, this long weekend, in the back of your mind, think about what could have been done better on the CD, and bring it back to the forum after I start that thread. It doesn't have to make sense or be a fantastic idea, just anything. Molin's post above is a good example. We don't have to do it, and I think it might be crazy :) but it doesn't hurt to have suggestions like that out there, so don't be afraid. Anyone posting derogatory comments related to a suggestion (you can criticize but not shout down/humiliate) will be punished in some way - probably by me and others making fun of you in every subsequent post. But yeah, we can start talking about the good and bad, why not?

Oh, and we're definitely doing a Pixies tribute next, but other suggestions for the fabled "album after" are fine.

Oh, and good luck with that baby Veronica... virgo is where it's at (ask mere). Although you're near the cusp, and that's dangerous. Actually, I don't believe in such things, but I know many who could tell you everything about your child before he was even born.

So there. A long message. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  02:22:26  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
Sorry, that was an off the cuff remark that seems to be the equvialent of an M-80 going off in my hand.
Of course it is much to soon to undertake another project. I was only trying to encourage everyone to start developing some ideas for when the time comes, and should have been more literal in saying that. Dropping down and giving 20......

Edited by - Steak n Sabre on 08/01/2003 02:25:10
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  13:23:16  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
Come on Dean! I said I was sorry, you did not have to send the swarm of locusts (actually gnats) that is currently engulfing our entire neighborhood. Seriously, in 42 years, I've never seen anything like this before. Is David Lynch filming nearby???
Go to Top of Page

noexx
= Cult of Ray =

361 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  14:03:30  Show Profile
time off is definitely good for you guys i am sure. i have a song picked out that i am pretty sure no one else will be doing......
and if someone else does it too...oh well, i am sure there will be something worked out so that everyone does a different song. there are over 60 or 70 songs to pick from. i feel sorry for whoever has to go through them all and pick the final ones hehe.
looking forward to the tribute discussion thread.
ryan
Go to Top of Page

Kingmob999
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  16:14:35  Show Profile
Album by album pixies/fb tribute! Thats just weird. While you're at it, why don't you just start a tribute band...just jokin. I know one of you guys already have one. But honestly, I think one FB tribute album with b-sides is enough. Im more interested in hearing the originals that you fellow Frank Black nuts record, honestly. I really had a good time with this last tribute album, and I'll more than likely do the pixies one (I'll dedicate more than 3 hours to it this time) but we should go another avenue than a cover thing again. But hell, if you keep doing them Ill keep submitting Im sure. I do like Molin's idea of handing out the songs rather than picking. Sounds challenging. Thats kind of why I picked "how you went so far", kind of a strange FB tune if you ask me. Hard to sing though( specifically for me)
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  16:53:07  Show Profile
I agree that that tribute albums have limited interest, but what about a worship album? I am not thinking psalms, but more like songs that obviously are inspired by the great man. There is no one that i have learned so many tricks from as mr Black. Would be nice to show some respect by openly admitting that these songs are inspired, or perhaps ripped directly (riffs/vocal style/ lyrics) from his catalogue. I have at least two songs that are pretty "franky" in structure and how it is played. Hell, mr Black openly admitted his inspirations and rip-offs in the liner notes of one his albums (was it oddballs?). Maybe we could call it "trying to be frank".
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  20:18:58  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
"Let's Be Frank"

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS
Go to Top of Page

Kingmob999
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  20:34:51  Show Profile
Yeah, I could get into that. I think it'll be cool to see how much better everyone's songs are for round 2(pixies tribute), but if we want to keep this going, I think well need to move away from tribute albums.(at least from fb and the pixies.) How bout elvis costello.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  13:24:56  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
I saw we all write songs about FB...
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  16:06:59  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
Personally, I think the next logical, subsequent step would be a Pixies tribute album. I would most definitely be into contributing a track for that....

After that, I don't know, the whole tribute thing might be wearing itself a little thin. Like someone mentioned, I would much rather start listening to people's original material.

An album-by-album Pixies/FB tribute project would just be a little too obsessive, and it would kind of detract from the beauty of any preceding amalgamated tribute. I think an album of songs "about" Frank would also fall into the 'slightly obsessive' category.

Just my opinion on the matter.

Edited by - PsychicTwin on 08/02/2003 16:09:03
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  19:37:02  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Bandan and I would be up for the Pixies tribute thing, we decided late on that we were going to record a cover of Dance War for the FB tribute, but we had left it too late. This would be a good opportunity for us.

War....... Its not fantastic
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  14:14:03  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
I think that randomly assigning people a Pixies song to cover might be an interesting way of going about it. Then again, I would love to have the chance to do "Rock Music."

http://psychictwin.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  17:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Oh come on.. 20 songs about FB 'obsessive'? Naaaah..

;)

It'd make me laugh like hell tho. (Anyone catch the reference?)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000