New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FranknWeezer
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  09:27:20  Show Profile
I'll be up front with everybody and admit that I USED TO BE in the camp that bashed 'ol Rich ad nauseum on the iMusic and Abstract Plain bulletin boards. We thought he just didn't fit well with Frank. He stood out with his red suits, stone-faced demeanor and eccentric guitar sounds. He didn't belong with "our" catholics. We missed Joey and Lyle, didn't we?

Now listen to us. Having seen him myself live in New Orleans, I'm singing a bit different tune, and so are lots of you guys. The guy has a true rock-star persona. His energy levels are out of the roof, and he seems to love what he's doing. The guy is talented enough to play Los Angeles with a broken beer bottle and other songs with a drumstick. He plays that gorgeous Gibson SG over his head and even with his mouth. Are you kidding me?

One of the best compliments I've seen him given was our man Frank looking over to watch him during a solo. Sometimes it seems like FB is in awe himself of Rich's talent and enthusiasm on stage. Not to mention, the albums of late have increasingly improved (I realize he's not the only studio guitarist, but the stuff still rocks, IMO.)

So, anyways, that's enough of my rant. Just wanted to offer my apologies for trying to run Rich Gilbert out of the catholics because it is clear to me that he's quite the complement to our man Frank Black.

Anybody else on board?

-FranknWeezer

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  10:11:52  Show Profile
I know for a lot of people seeing Frank who might not know all his songs, seeing Rich Gilbert go crazy on the guitar certainly helps convert them. I stumbled on the Pitchfork board the other day, and people were going crazy over Frank's live show, often citing Rich Gilbert as one of the highlights. Most Pitchfork people are pretty esteemed indie snobs, so I would have figured they'd be in the "Frank solo isn't as good as the Pixies!" vein, but whatever doubts they had were alleviated via his recent live performances.
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  10:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
I recently saw a rerun of Saturday Night Live hosted by Bill Murray and I'm pretty sure I saw a young Rich Gilbert on guitar with Lucinda Williams. He had a bowl cut hairdo and thos nerdy glasses. He looked like he was 18 years old, but it wasn't that long ago.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  12:39:36  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Rich is also a very awesome guy. At the Black Cat show in November, Jeremy (Bennies) broke a string (on 2 different guitars) during the set. I took one to get it restrung and I ran into Rich and Jim (Reid Paley Trio) backstage. I asked em if they had a tuner with them. Rich took the guitar and tuned it by ear, and played a bit of a riff on it for a second. He told us that if we ever needed to tune a guitar, the dial tone on a phone is in F. Pretty damn cool. He's wild on stage...it's like he's possessed.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  14:14:16  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
Since I saw Rich playing twice in the Dog in The Sand tour in Europa.
I was convinced he is the best guitar player that accomponied FB.
Or the best in the world (after Richard Thompson)

I never doubted him, but that's just my taste (I, for one, don't like Lyle Workman solo's on Cult of Ray, but I love them on TOTY and FB and the C's). The Pistolero solo's are truly awesome and I really
thought (I was like 14) that the solo for Tiny Heart or I Love Your Brain were the best solo's ever.

I thought it was very weird that not all the FB fans appreciated him that much (again just a case of taste). But I'm glad that he is still with Frank today and that he is praised so much.

I'm looking forward to see him this fall when FB will play Europe...

btw I love Dave Phillips too, isn't he the greatest thing since sliced bread?

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

bleier
- FB Fan -

3 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  15:21:44  Show Profile
I saw rich play both Saskatoon and Edmonton shows and was BLOWN AWAY. Something kept pestering me though, I couldn't remember where I knew the name from till I came to this little chat group and looked at his discography. I wonder if the Uncle Tupelo days had an influence on FB's DLD recordings? These are by far the most mature of the works, some wonderful pedal steel work. Everyone on stage seemed to defer to him, a true rock God! He even got away with stealing someone's Pilsner beer and playing a foamy solo with it! (a true no-no on the Canadian praries)!

B
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  16:52:56  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
rich is great to watch at shows - and dave is a really solid player in his own right. i think the fb/rich/dave combo is a great three guitar line up. although i'll always have a soft spot for the way joey santiago plays...

as breathing flows my mind secedes...
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  21:29:32  Show Profile
I bumped into Rich at Macdonald's and he signed my Dog in the Sand CD. Really really nice. I also told him that my favorite show was by Frank Black and the Catholics and that my dad's all tiem favorie show was by Human Sexual Response (his old band). It made him smile, though I hope it didn't make him feel too old.
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  22:58:14  Show Profile
I was at the Saskatoon and Regina shows, and I was completely blown away by Rich. He is simply an amazing player, and his showmanship is somehow entertaining without being cheezy. He is also a very nice guy, very aproachable, and great to talk to. Scott is also a really great fellow and was very nice to us this weekend. Thanks Scott, and next time, I'll throw the drumstick at YOU. I say that we are fine and how are you....
Go to Top of Page

echo park
- FB Fan -

Saint Barthelemy
128 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  23:42:40  Show Profile
Rich is one of those guys who is just 110% musical and has what seems like an unlimited supply of energy. I think his musical influence in the Catholics is more than just playing great guitar/steel/keys and being an entertaining artist, if that wasn't enough... I'm very interested in hearing some of his own stuff!
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  02:02:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Since I saw Rich playing twice in the Dog in The Sand tour in Europa.
I was convinced he is the best guitar player that accomponied FB.
Or the best in the world (after Richard Thompson)

I'm looking forward to see him this fall when FB will play Europe...

I agree Bill - Rich must stay. Incidentally, what do you think of RT's The Old Kit Bag?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  03:06:53  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
The Old Kit Bag?

Uhm I really dig it. It's beautiful. Getsemanee and Sight Unseen are my favourites. Or maybe that Taliban Song (The Outside of the Inside?)....
Great guitar work, and Danny Thompson's Double Bass is just as good.

I don't know, was it well received in England?
I guess the capitol albums were a more commercial succes.
But I'm glad he's with Cooking Vinyl now (just as FB).

He is struggling with the same ''why do other bands become popular with the sound I made'' as FB does.

So have you ever seen RT perform? I saw him at Cropredy last year.

Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  06:24:56  Show Profile
My favourites are Gethsemane and I'll Tag Along. The UK reviews I have seen have been very positive. He is played a lot on the Iain Anderson show on Radio Scotland - a great show. He just played Edinburgh, and I had to miss it! Tragic.

I have veered off topic. Rich Gilbert is my guitar God!!!!!!!! RT is a genius as well!
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  08:46:06  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage
Rich Gilbert is awesome. I think he put out a solo cd. I saw for sale at a show, but I only had enough cash for one cd, oddballs. Has anybody heard the his solo cd? Dave Philips is very cool too. Last time I saw him, it was him, Frank, and Scott. Dave was going absolutely nuts. Very inspiring stuff.

How about some Ether?
Go to Top of Page

Wade
- FB Fan -

115 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  13:42:49  Show Profile
I must say that since the first time my friends and I saw Rich, I think it was Cult of Ray but the chemicals may be lying to me...

Anyway, We all thought he was great.... not that we didn't miss Joey, but man, dude has flare. Plus, he kinda looks like this guy we all used to run with that we called "Snake Bird", so we took to him pretty readily. So, seeing how much he's a part of the "Frank Black Experience" now, proud to say that "we knew Rich was something special" even if twisted reasons made us more accepting of him initially.

Go to Top of Page

Visiting Sasquatch
= Cult of Ray =

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  14:24:10  Show Profile
I thought Lyle toured in the Cult of Ray tour...
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
233 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  14:51:54  Show Profile
The Rich Gilbert album being sold at the shows is from his country band the Blackstone Valley Sinners if I am not mistaken. They have their own webpage with song clips for those interested. I've got a question...what do the Frank Black hats that are being sold on this tour look like?

Erik
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  15:04:35  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
I bought the Coronet Premiers album (Rich Gilbert's band back then)
and it wasn't that good. Full of programed computers, but not in a cool electro-clash way or stuff...

But my hopes are high for the Blackstone Valley Sinners.

Go to Top of Page

St. Francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
548 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  19:18:18  Show Profile
Rich is an amazing player and from what I know in chatting to him a few times an even better person... I am glad he finally made into your good graces...

That's Better... It's about time I changed my signature
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  20:20:52  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
The hats are basically black with "FB&C's" embroidered in whitish-silver on the front. I'd rather grab a shirt - I've never been able to pull off the hats, but Scott says maybe next time so...
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  13:44:45  Show Profile
Rich is great. Love him. He's interesting to hear and fun to watch, however...I think it's the combination of both him and Dave P. that really makes the Catholic's guitar section howl. As far as sheer talent though, the crown has to go to Lyle, hands down. Just listen to the solos in Out of State. As far as live performance I'd probably put him even with Rich. I get the sense that alot of you never saw Lyle live in concert. Well, you missed out. The man was all over the place, moving around. Coming right up to the edge of the stage alot of times and jamming right in your face. Tons of showmanship, tons of confidence (I sensed a bit of a big ego, but hey the man really was hot shit). He also was the first Catholic to play guitar with a drumstick. Rich and Dave are cool, but don't forget Lyle. BTW, at the concert in Indy, Dave P. played the majority of the solos, while Rich played Steel. I think they're more equal than people think.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  17:03:01  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
I was standing in front of Rich here (Victoria, Apr 9th) and wow - he played up a storm...and he really rocks out too, i love it!!! He was exceptionally social as well.

I couldn't see Dave P so much, but he had the best shoes i'd ever seen..wish i got a pic of them!!! They're these crazy blue things with palms trees or something..almost like slippers or something..??
Go to Top of Page

Leah
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  06:10:55  Show Profile
I first saw Mr. Gilbert play waaay back on Tanya Donelly's Lovesongs For Underdogs tour and that was about '96.

Impressed even then.

I now have recordings by the Zulus, human sexual response and Concussion Ensemble.

Never met him personally but the next time he he's in the UK I PROMISE i'll give my right arm to the person who can arrange for it to happen!...

Every choice human being strives instinctively for a citadel and a secrecy where he is saved from the crowd -
Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

attilathehunny
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  14:46:50  Show Profile
Like I said in a different thread.

Love Rich Gilbert. He's the only guitarist I've seen live w/ the Catholics. Love his stuff with other bands. He's the reason I've become interested in playing pedal steel. I've never really wanted to be a better guitarist than I had to be to accompany myself...but he has really inspired me to not just rely on vocals to carry a song.

Guitar heroes are neat.
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  15:07:40  Show Profile
quote:

I couldn't see Dave P so much, but he had the best shoes i'd ever seen..wish i got a pic of them!!! They're these crazy blue things with palms trees or something..almost like slippers or something..??

Kind of sounds like Vans.. did they look like these: http://vans.speedera.net/shop.vans.com/image/3921976B.jpg

Edited by - marcusb on 04/12/2003 15:08:10
Go to Top of Page

Wade
- FB Fan -

115 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2003 :  13:18:50  Show Profile
Hmmmm, perhaps it WAS lyle on Cult of Ray (in Houston), I wondered about the accuracy as stated. Are the two similar looking? How about the stage presence? Was it similar to Rich's? Maybe the fact that they both played their guitar with a drum stick at one point or another has me confusing them.

I don't know, I know the show was great.... one great song after another... I sometimes wish they'd be more talkative, like I hear in some of the live stuff you find online, but I do prefer music to banter, so never left unhappy. Just always seems like they are in such a hurry, but want to play enough to give everyone the show they are capable of giving... so they seem to just belt the tunes out. Maybe he just isn't so friendly on people from Texas? Hmmm. I don't know, I'm sure it's just them doing their job the best they know how. I'm not looking for an autograph or a personal conversation, though that would be interesting, but sometimes it just seems they are in a hurry.

Just my two cents.... and how did I get on that subject? whoops.

Rich is quite an interesting character on stage... and his wild style juices up the songs when they're playing live.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000