New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  14:06:01  Show Profile
Did anyone else see the White Stripes play "John the Revelator" on Conan O'Brien the other day? While I realize this song is not a Frank Black original, it does seems like a strong coincidence that they would play this now, at the same time Frank is playing it and has played for some time now. Anyone know if the white stripes dude is a Frank fan (or Pixies fan, as seems a more obvious connection). Just wondering...

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  14:28:18  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
I don't know for sure, but I would certainly not be surprised to learn that either one of the Stripes has some kind of appreciation for Frank/Pixies. same ballpark, after all...
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  18:31:39  Show Profile
ya. i would definately say a frank appreciator (like who isn't?). i don't follow the white stripes much but would say franks harder garage style rock (catholics self titled album) has some definate influence. (at least that's what i thought the first time i heard the white stripes.)
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  18:47:05  Show Profile
When were they on conan? dang i missed it. Wonder if they have showed the comedy central rerun yet

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  19:00:29  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
they were on conan for 4 or 5 days in a row werent they

-miked
Go to Top of Page

Bohemoth
- FB Fan -

USA
246 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  19:03:14  Show Profile
The White stripes have actually been doing it longer than frank I've got several versions of them doing it several years ago
Go to Top of Page

carsonwerner
= Cult of Ray =

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  19:16:26  Show Profile  Visit carsonwerner's Homepage
Yeah I was going to say the White Stripes are fairly blues influenced, they even covered another Son House song on their second album, so it doesn't really seem to me that it's a Frank/Pixies thing.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  22:22:34  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
That was the Friday night show. The White Stripes only played a bit of John The Revelator mid-whatever song they actually performed that night. Strange to say, they did the same thing on a track from their first album, which was released 4 or 5 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

FranknWeezer
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  07:00:04  Show Profile
Didn't FB say in a recent interview that his wife was heavy into listening to the White Stripes lately? And, yeah, it wasn't the full version of JTR; they cut into it midway through a song they performed on Friday. I believe the last of the 5 Comedy Central reruns aired this Tuesday. The tracks new WS album sounded great.

-FranknWeezer
Go to Top of Page

L. Barlow
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  10:04:28  Show Profile  Visit L. Barlow's Homepage  Click to see L. Barlow's MSN Messenger address
the white stripes latest 9very good) album has pixies influence written all over it.

;D
Go to Top of Page

Robert Onion
- FB Fan -

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  10:34:10  Show Profile
yes the White Stripes have been doing it a lot longer than Frank. John the Revelator is on the first White Stripes album after a track (i forgot which since i don't have the cd in front of me).
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  11:48:08  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by L. Barlow

the white stripes latest 9very good) album has pixies influence written all over it.

;D

I really don't get a Pixies vibe from them other than Jack's tendency to sound completely insane when he sings. I think the new album sounds way more like Led Zeppelin or The Stooges.

I think they were playing a blues medley on Friday because I heard "Highway 51" in there as well.

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  13:42:57  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
the Zeppelin influence in the White Stripes music is undeniable. The first album of theirs i heard ("De Stijl") has one song on there that sounds like some unearthed Zeppelin b-side or something! I guess its the whole raunchy rock-blues guitar approach and also Jack's higher range vocals. Anyway, its definitely a cool influence to have...
Go to Top of Page

L. Barlow
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  05:40:10  Show Profile  Visit L. Barlow's Homepage  Click to see L. Barlow's MSN Messenger address
my little sister said they were on mtv doing some interview with zane <<insert second name here>> and she said that jack white mentioned the pixies...

for all i know he could have been saying the pixies were rubbish and had no effect on him at all but when i hear elephant it reminds me of the pixies. probably just the guy singing but i dunno i always thought it went deeper, ah who cares anyway...

;D
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  06:12:45  Show Profile
The White Stripes attitude is pure Pixies. Though on their White Blood Cells album at least their sound is Black Sabbath one song, The Animals the next (alot of Animals influence), Led Zep the next. They're a good band and they're growing on me more every day, but it's funny how so many people talk about how different and original they are. They're simply a new spin on classic rock –– unlike the Pixies (who of course were a new spin on rock music, but far less obvious). The Hives and the Strokes work the same way. No disrespect, just no respect for the claim that it's something brand new.
Go to Top of Page

faceforaudio
- FB Fan -

40 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  14:00:53  Show Profile
yes the new white stripes is very good. i dont think the that cover was due to frank but i think i saw somewhere that jack white is a pixies/ frank fan. this topic reminds me of another great band, the flaming lips. they have just made a song called "thank you jack white" which is about jack from the stripes meeting the lips. i DO think that they are inspired by pixies b/c you know...who isnt?
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  16:48:17  Show Profile
i think the full title of the lips song is 'thank you jack white for the florecent jesus you gave me', which actually happened. i think 'fell in love with a girl' and 'hypnotise'(basically the same song) are in the vein of fast pixies songs. especially where jack sing 'the eyes for peepin', for some reason.

say anything mean about joey, and i'll punch you. hard. on the shoulder.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  18:43:08  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
It's pure coincedence, but there are times when Jack's voice sounds a lot like Frank Black's. I don't think The Pixies had a huge influence on them, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are fans.
Go to Top of Page

faceforaudio
- FB Fan -

40 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  15:33:45  Show Profile
well on their site the link was called "thank you jack white" but in the lyrics it goes on "for the FIBEROPTIC jesus that you gave me" its a great song anyways. i stick that everyone was influenced by the pixies and agree that "fell in love w/ a girl" is pixies rooted
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  03:29:10  Show Profile
Damn. I fuckin' pissed-off I missed Conan that night. When was it?

"Snooch to the muthaf**kin Nooch"
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  11:47:36  Show Profile
yeah, fiberoptic, thats it. sorry.

say anything mean about joey, and i'll punch you. hard. on the shoulder.
Go to Top of Page

Pete Egress
- FB Fan -

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  08:14:44  Show Profile
John the Revelator is an OLD song. Frank and Jack are covering it.

http://www.ibiblio.org/jimmy/folkden/Revel.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000