Page: of 3

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  06:03:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by johndietzel

How did you end up in the coffee, anyway?

"Plain n' simp--the system's a pimp, but I refuse to be a ho."
Chuck D

Let's just say it was one crazy-ass night...

Actually, I started out in the vodka...

Edited by - Bartholomew on 10/18/2002 06:06:34
Go to Top of Page

Leah
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  06:40:21  Show Profile
See now, I ain't sure if you guys are mocking me directly here for admitting to the "SELLING INSURANCE" thing; but it is interesting to note that from what people have said I am far from being alone in my illteracy so there!

I think Frank should set his next CD cover out with the lyrics printed with some kind of encryption on it, just ot make it more interesting...
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  08:53:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Leah

See now, I ain't sure if you guys are mocking me directly here for admitting to the "SELLING INSURANCE" thing; but it is interesting to note that from what people have said I am far from being alone in my illteracy so there!

I think Frank should set his next CD cover out with the lyrics printed with some kind of encryption on it, just ot make it more interesting...

I'm not mocking you if that's what you're asking. I absolutely love the cover of Teenager. I get a grin every time I see it.

Hey, I like the idea about the encryption. Aside from the songs with acrostics, isn't there something hidden in the song title of FB&the C's...something having to do with the order of the songs. Can't remember exactly.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  12:51:02  Show Profile
Hey, I like the idea about the encryption. Aside from the songs with acrostics, isn't there something hidden in the song title of FB&the C's...something having to do with the order of the songs. Can't remember exactly.
[/quote]

You're right! The tracks on FB and the Cs are in alphabetical order. I hadn't noticed that before
Go to Top of Page

WPater
- FB Fan -

19 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  09:54:37  Show Profile
hey! come on I cant believe that all you twisted and slightly twisted FB fans (cept El Barto - maybe we need some therapy) dont love The Cult of Ray artwork - best FB cover of all time with teenager a close second.
I wont even ask if you want to sell that mobile El.
Go to Top of Page

mixedbizz
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  20:52:43  Show Profile
Blackus:

I personally think the album artwork is very important. It's part of the whole "package." We all now the music is great, and it's a shame to comprimise the packaging for the sake of time and money. Would you put a Picasso in a cheap frame?

Not to say that the cover art is bad, I really like Pistolero and DITS artwork. But improving the art could easily pay for itself in sales and new fans. I'm almost ashamed to say it, but one of the first things to draw me in to the Pixies was the exceptional art and design by v23 and Simon Larbalestier.

I'm gladly offering my services as a professional photographer and artist. I've done work for Jose Feliciano and some local acts in Texas. Feel free to contact me for samples of my work.

Stephan
Houston TX
Go to Top of Page

Leah
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  06:21:08  Show Profile
Re: the Cult of Ray Artwork.

I got in a bit of a fight about this with my bloke.

Since I got the Futurama box set t'other day I mentioned that knew where the inspiration from Leela may have come from. He maintains it is not so and I am in fact, insane.

I just wondered if anyone else had spotted this or if it's a case of too much coffee for me again...

Every choice human being strives instinctively for a citadel and a secrecy where he is saved from the crowd -
Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

Visiting Sasquatch
= Cult of Ray =

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  07:02:12  Show Profile
Coffee...but it's a neat idea.
Go to Top of Page

johndietzel
= Cult of Ray =

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
464 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  23:03:25  Show Profile  Visit johndietzel's Homepage
The notion of the cyclops predates Frank Black, I think. ;)

----------------------
"Lance Hunt wears glasses. Captain Amazing doesn't wear glasses."--William "the Shoveler" Macy
Go to Top of Page

leokearse
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  07:05:40  Show Profile  Visit leokearse's Homepage
Just a wee suggestion for the album art: could the Catholics ask their fans to submit album art and use the one they like best? Plenty of artists are FB+C fans - Jared Tarbell of Levitated.net is, you can see the 4AD/Pixies influence in his work too. The design company I work for (huan.co.uk) occasionally does record sleeves for free in return for a few copies and the recognition. Most of our work is website/database stuff so we jump at the chance to take an afternoon off and do something fun and bask in the associated glamour. I mean, to be immortalised in the sleevenotes of a FB+C album...how ace would that be?

I really like the cover for Dog in the Sand, the atmospheric sepia and the medical illustrations that provide the backdrop for the sleevenotes, reminded me of some of the 4AD artwork.

- Leo
Go to Top of Page

ygerard
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  07:23:05  Show Profile
I think as most people the cover artwork on the Pixies albums were really good, especially Doolittle and Bossanova but from the Frank Black area, the selft titled cover and Teenager of the year are probably the best, after that it went a bit down really, I mean look at Devil's worshop, I've seen better...

Yvan
Go to Top of Page

Wade
- FB Fan -

115 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  22:15:22  Show Profile
Obviously a lot of time and labor (money) went into creating most or all of the pixies covers/art. That was then. I think that the concepts on the solo covers are fine, and just that some just needed refinement.

To focus on the positive, I think the oddballs concept is a good one. It may be my favorite as I like the simplicity, and the up close shot with all the comparisons in the liner notes about which song was done in the spirit of which persona. I just liked the straight ahead balls out approach, with that shit eating grin on his face. Seems almost theraputic as a complete piece, artwork, liner notes, music and all.

I agree that BLD is perfectly appropriate and captures the feel of the songs on it. DitS is a good pic, and the duotone/sepiatone feel is very appropriate to the sound of the album, so I think it's successful in that respect, though not necessarily my favorite.

I actually also thought the marbly peacock looking fractal designy background and cheezy font for Devil's Workshop was also overly appropriate after having listened to the album... I'm surprised others don't like it more.

Oh well, there are things about some of the album art that I think could have been executed differently, and we could pick them apart I suppose (I am a sr. art director/designer by profession), but I think there are many things that they have done right to demonstrate the feel of the albums visually. That is the idea, in my opinion... and it's not an easy task when the microscopes are set on high with rose colored filters for expectations.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  22:39:54  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
i really like the way in the DITS liner notes there's a description of who played what on each track. i wish it was like that on each record

brian

as breathing flows my mind secedes...
Go to Top of Page

getofred651
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  09:00:33  Show Profile
yeah I liked that too.after seeing that they listed the artists....i listened to the tracks and tried to guess. i was right every time!

BTW let me do the art work for the next album...ill do it for free!....and well!
Go to Top of Page

leokearse
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  09:04:52  Show Profile  Visit leokearse's Homepage
yeah, the Catholics should just post something up here asking for submissions, then choose the best - I bet they'd get some well tasty designs.

- Leo
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1462 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  20:38:51  Show Profile
i really like the artwork, but it would be nice to have some pics of the band and frank. franks a natural in front of the camera. i love the shots of him on the self titled album. i'm thinking i'll probably go as fu manchu for halloween next year.
this has probably been said already, but i saw frank on a much music interview a while back and he was saying how his wife does a lot of the artwork. the cult of ray cover is pretty cool- frank was describing how his wife designed it on the computer. i've got a cult of ray tour shirt and have got some real good use out of it. my wife was real disappointed that she couldn't buy me a new shirt on the current tour.
Go to Top of Page

mixedbizz
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  23:40:53  Show Profile
I never undestood the cult of ray cover... could someone explain it to me... or is therre nothing to explain?
Go to Top of Page

catwalk
- FB Fan -

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  00:22:00  Show Profile
i lost my copy of "teenager of the year" on cd...so i bought another copy, and they took out all the cool photographs in the cd booklet!! why?!?! i like the artwork for 'dog in the sand' best. i think it is very funny that "devil's workshop" and "black letter days" follow it. whoo! they could have had me design it! i don't know photoshop either! but i think it's a great contradiction: amazing music/ bad album art. does it for me at least.
Go to Top of Page

Qris
- FB Fan -

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2003 :  22:49:17  Show Profile  Visit Qris's Homepage
short term stand out on the self - graphic design. Devils workshop or the first Catholics album. Colour and impact. Works well.
Long term impact - good photog. Black letter, Surfa, BBC are the ones I pay closer attention to when I pick the album up to put in the machine. Ultimately, fan base in mind, i think the more artistic the better. Your music doesn't go out of style... why should your album art? (i.e. C f of R or TOTY which now look rather camp, non?). Quality all the way. Quality photog is more affordable than quality graphic design. Go photog. (course as a starving photog I may be bias). I'll buy whatever the fuck ya put out. May as well have something on the cover I look at more than once. I have spent a lot more time staring into BLD than DW.
That is my theory. It is mine.
Go to Top of Page

mike
- FB Fan -

Germany
22 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  05:12:53  Show Profile
to be honest, the breeders artwork was much more design than all of the FB`s. (after the first one)
i like the idea to do some "possible" examples for FB`s artwork and put it on the page. so everyone can pick one or write shitty thinkgs about it. it seems there are a lot of grahic artists here on the web.
so me, i am a art director from germany and it would be the coolest thing to do stuff for frank black!!!
Go to Top of Page

stymie
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  18:07:14  Show Profile  Visit stymie's Homepage
teenager
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  08:50:17  Show Profile
Yeah, of course what everyone's failed to mention is you kind of have to hear the album before you design the cover work for it. From the sounds of it, Frank's new album is more serious and sad, so like a submission of Frank's face with a wacky grin superimposed as a rising sunset obviously wouldn't work, no matter how well it was done. Then again, if someone submits a Peter Saville-Unknown Pleasures style cover, that would probably be too much as well. I do like this idea though, but there would have to be some way for the artist to hear the album or at least talk with Frank about what the cover should represent. I'm all for album art, I love it. It's one thing the bastardizin' CD Burners can't take away.
Go to Top of Page

mixedbizz
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  14:38:06  Show Profile
Now would be a good time for Frank & co. to jump in and request submissions!
Go to Top of Page

L. Barlow
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  15:54:57  Show Profile  Visit L. Barlow's Homepage  Click to see L. Barlow's MSN Messenger address
teenager. then probably something simple like dog in the sand.

;D
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  16:29:59  Show Profile
ooh, i like the first one. well, i only have two so...
ha ha! up to a coupla weeks ago i was still singin 'sellin insurance'! i think its kinda better then 'sailin and shoring'...but thats just cos it got stuck in my head. i like the first one cos the cover's nice 'n' califorian or sumat and the pictures are totally funny, my favourite being the glasses and lizard.
of the pixies, i like trompe de monde. thats cos i'm perverse. i like the squished eyeball and needle on the...windscreen? i like eyeballs.
i like nice, textured paper rather than glossy, frank! FB and kelley deal are now my favourite people cos they read their fansites. i was on the noaloha thing and caught kell there(dia linn) but she didnt respond to anythin. oh well.

if you say anything mean about kim, i'll kick ya in the shins!
Go to Top of Page

DickJustice
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  14:35:00  Show Profile
The Belle & Sebastian CDs always have interesting covers that look like they could have been produced fairly cheaply (even though there may be a fair-sized art budget involved). A few examples for the unfamiliar:

They're interesting, and they're immediately recognizable as Belle & Sebastian albums. I've thought that if I had a band, I'd try to come up with some sort of minimalist concept, and stick to it for my album covers. The devil's in trying to come up with the concept, of course... but it's also something I'm surprised more bands haven't done.
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  17:44:13  Show Profile
Other good cheaply made album covers would have to be Guided by Voices, who's albums are usually a unique type of collage, instantly recognizable as GBV. I like when bands have their own style of album artwork, where you can immediately recognize who it's by. Swans have extremely minimalist album covers, always with the same basic font that work quite well. Radiohead also, but their album covers look like high budget computerized Fall album covers.
Go to Top of Page

L. Barlow
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  05:47:12  Show Profile  Visit L. Barlow's Homepage  Click to see L. Barlow's MSN Messenger address
you forgot the best one :D

;D
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  08:38:25  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
I agree with Itchload (About gbv)
sorry if this is mentioned before but
aren't there two types of artwork of Cult of Ray
the Cooking Vinyl one really looks like paint brush
the Dragnet I have doesn't

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''

Edited by - billgoodman on 04/22/2003 08:38:48
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  00:03:36  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
I love the Cult of Ray cover. It looks like some random cult of....rays? that might be hanging out in space somewhere in the "Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" universe. I wouldn't be suprised if I saw Ford Prefect and Arthur Dent float past. great stuff.
Go to Top of Page

faceforaudio
- FB Fan -

40 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  14:35:51  Show Profile
the frank black art is fine, teenager is my favorite. i like the way the lyrics are formatted. but the pixies artwork was always astounding. they are images that i can always expect to see when i am tripping. in particular doolittle has captured the creepy side of the pixies. such as the hair on the spoon which is on the woman's stomach. oh brilliant. and i love the fact that frank has responded to this. that kicks so much fucking ass!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  14:38:57  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
sleeping on your belly (woman's stomach)
you break my arms
you SPOON my eyes

and the hair must be the hair of samson, because all his strenght was in it....

love te artwork

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

faceforaudio
- FB Fan -

40 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  15:20:11  Show Profile
you are correct sir. i forgot that all the pictures corrosponded with the songs. i was just purely thinking of the picture. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000