David Bowie "LOW"?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  06:49:02  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
I dunno. Maybe many of you out there may have noticed this, or have chatted about it in the past, but, i notice strong similarities between Frank's first album and David Bowie's Low (both in sound and overall mood). Particularly with regards to Bowie's "speed of life". I imagine that he did this purposely and wanted to get the same sound. Anyone out there have any thoughts or know of any articles/ interviews where he acknowledges this? Maybe he or Eric Drew are big Brian Eno fans....

...and evolving from the sea, would not be too much time for me, to walk beside you in the sun....

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  08:02:45  Show Profile
Frank Black's first album is really poppy and hook-based. Low starts out that way but descends into wacky creepy instrumental stuff, so I'm not sure really.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  10:13:54  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
i dunno, the orange album certainly gets odder as it goes along. parry the wind, tossed, brackish boy, are all more strange than l.a., or ramona, or fu manchu

-brian
Go to Top of Page

JamesM
= Cult of Ray =

308 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  10:29:07  Show Profile
I agree with this. There's an interview that Frank did with Mondo 2000 back in '93 wherein he talks about "Low". I see a lot of similarities between the albums; great stuff.

-Jimmy M.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
951 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  12:05:01  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage
Brian Eno is memes.

"nie za volkot, volkot na vratot"
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  20:11:21  Show Profile
Wow. I never could put my finger on what it was about the overall production and sound of Frank's solo debut that sounded so instantly familiar.

You nailed it.

In hindsight, it absolutely sounds like a very impressive attempt to update the tone and approach of Bowie and Eno's "Low".

They are both extremely similar from the standpoint of instrument placement, EQ, mood and timbre. I feel like a whole new side of this album has just opened up for me.

I have no idea if this is actually what they were consciously aiming for, or if things just happened that way, but it's really fascinating, and has inspired me to go back and really dive into this record for the first time in years.

Nice detective work.

Now, if I could just hear FB & The C's do a reverent cover of "Sound & Vision"...

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Scarla O
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  01:30:47  Show Profile  Visit Scarla O's Homepage
Speaking of Bowie in Berlin, I always thought that Frank Black should try something along the lines of Iggy Pop's 'The Idiot'...it would be interesting - I reckon Frank could pull off some industrial pop.
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  08:43:21  Show Profile
Yeah, I've always thought that too. I thought "Bossanova" songs like "All Over the World" were very close to The Idiot in style.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  10:46:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Scarla O

Speaking of Bowie in Berlin, I always thought that Frank Black should try something along the lines of Iggy Pop's 'The Idiot'...it would be interesting - I reckon Frank could pull off some industrial pop.

Frank's always been upfront about his early fixation with Mr. Osterberg, and I believe during that strange promo-only interview/chat with David Thomas of Pere Ubu, he mentioned "The Passenger" as one of his favorite songs.

That said, Frank's vocal contributions to Bowie's 50th birthday party at Madison Square Garden bear a striking resemblance to Iggy's from the time period you mention.

I'd love to hear FB & The C's do a cover of "Nightclubbing" or "Turn Blue." There's also a fantastic track that was recently unearthed and added as a bonus to a recent Iggy reissue called "Chains" that has Catholicism written all over it.

~ Peter Radiator

Go to Top of Page

JamesM
= Cult of Ray =

308 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  11:57:06  Show Profile
Frank doing "Nightclubbing" would totally rock the house, turn it over on itside, realize what it's done, rebuild the house for you, reimburse you for any other damages occured, and apologize profusely. Uh, I mean, that would be cool. It would be hard for me to see the Catholics doing any material from Low / Heroes / Lodger, though. Actually, I'm pretty sure they could do "Be My Wife" quite nicely.

-Jimmy M.
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  23:15:56  Show Profile
Oh man, frank has done Nightclubbing! He played it on a radio show and sang along with it, I have the MP3, wacky stuff.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  14:15:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Itchload

Oh man, frank has done Nightclubbing! He played it on a radio show and sang along with it, I have the MP3, wacky stuff.

Is this so? Please contact me privately via this forum, as I'd love to get a copy of the MP3 for my very own...

Thanks!

~ Peter Radiator

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  14:20:07  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
That probably goes for all of us... FTP site, Itchload?
Go to Top of Page

faceforaudio
- FB Fan -

40 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  15:49:46  Show Profile
yeah frank and bowie seem to be connected. on the new bowie album he covers i think "cactus" and im pretty sure another song related to frank black. hmmm...who's copying who here????
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  16:55:24  Show Profile
ha..well...I might have hyped up the MP3 a bit too much. It's Frank DJing on the radio and he plays Nightclubbing, the regular mix with Iggy's vocals and occasionally sings on top of it. Pretty funny. I'll send it to anyone who wants it, though it's mostly a one-listen novelty type thing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000