-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 The Night The Zombies Came

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
billgoodman Posted - 10/01/2022 : 01:35:25
What we know (in chronical order):

- Doggerel was made with the 40 demo's/ideas that Frank (and a couple more from Joey) brought to the sessions. They had some good songs that didn't fit the record so they were put aside (acording to FBF in the French Rolling Stone)

- Paz says the band worked on 16 of the 40 songs (bass magazine interview) [12 were released on Doggerel]

- In april (source?) of 2022 the Pixies and Tom Dalgety recorded for a week in Rockfield Studios (Wales).

- One of the songs Frank liked from the demo's, but did not do during the Doggerel-sessions, that they tried to record in Wales. Bluesy, stomper song, "I enjoyed it as an acoustic demo" [...] they tried to make it bigger, better and louder, but "in the end it was just too loud", "too much information". It didn't work out, it was failure, "thank god we didn't release this because we were in a rush"
(interview on Raised on Radio)

- Joey brought some songs to the table again (working titles Howie's Garage, I hear you mary, Taking care of bid'ness, according to Uncut interview). They recorded three ideas in Rockfield (according to Under the Radar interview), maybe those three?

- Paz recorded two songs for it (according to BF in French interview)

- Frank to SPIN: [On Doggerel] "I think that’s one more writing collaboration than has appeared on any other disc in the Pixies catalog. I imagine there will be much more collaboration forthcoming. I sense it.”

- Session in Wales didn't go that well, acording to FBF in Ultimate Music Guide :
"I was not in a good mood for lots of reasons"
I was very frustrated because now Mr Fucking Producer wants to work on all the fucking artsy-fartsy scraps from the margin. I got all these 40 fucking songs I wrote, for once in my life I do my homework............Now I show up with the goods and they're like [] these werid little things that you didn't intend over here bla bla
[ ]
I threw my notebook on top of the roof [..] I threw about three temper tantrums in about eight days

- Joey in Under the Radar:
"we have recorded so far about seven or eight demos for the next album. There will be a ninth album, we’re planning that already. After a good amount of a break, we will start recording again some time next year. We’re already kicking around what part of the world to work and record in next time"

- October 2023: Pixies record a new session with Tom Dalgety at Guilford Sounds, same place were Doggerel was recorded

- Paz leaves the band in october 2023 - march 2024

- Pixies play Vegas Suite, a new song, on the Bossanova Trompe tour

- Pixies rehearse a new song, which is posted on instagram: https://fb.watch/qROLONNt-1/

- Frank Black plays a new song, which is posted on instagram:
https://fb.watch/qROQ6dvc5M/

- 11 song titles are published on the BMI website

It's here: https://pixies.tmstor.es/

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
billgoodman Posted - 08/30/2024 : 09:25:23
I understand, but in the context of an album it could work

natenate101 Posted - 08/30/2024 : 08:33:29
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Motoroller really giving me FB solo album vibes so far, I dig it

Just like Vegan Suite. I'm hearing SMYT and BLD

Damn, those comps may be appealing to some but they bum me out. Too much FB in these last few albums for me.
billgoodman Posted - 08/30/2024 : 07:07:29
quote:

Just like Vegan Suite. I'm hearing SMYT and BLD

Bedbug Posted - 08/30/2024 : 06:13:19
billgoodman Posted - 08/30/2024 : 04:49:37
quote:
Originally posted by rivum

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

There's a video on Instagram of them rehearsing Motoroller. Sounds pleasant enough, reminds me of Neil Young in his Harvest or Comes A Time mode. Wouldn't be aching to hear it live though.

Was considering going for a stroll near the gig tonight but it'll probably lash with rain.

It's like their own original Winterlong indeed
Neil Young vibe all the way
Also heard some Abba in it!

really liking emma's harmonies!!

You can hear it here, after Vegas Suite: https://youtu.be/xmJv5yHCVE4?si=zdnLtjSenDWjEgjP

rivum Posted - 08/30/2024 : 04:39:53
quote:

quote:

There's a video on Instagram of them rehearsing Motoroller. Sounds pleasant enough, reminds me of Neil Young in his Harvest or Comes A Time mode. Wouldn't be aching to hear it live though.

Was considering going for a stroll near the gig tonight but it'll probably lash with rain.

really liking emma's harmonies!!
Troubles A Foot Posted - 08/29/2024 : 22:40:33
quote:

Emma is singing the Lynch song, haven't heard it but I love that they are doing it that way

Somebody did not watch my YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/ISs1KKrcP5M?si=qln9UZ2Y5mCiFheH
Bedbug Posted - 08/29/2024 : 03:22:05
Emma is singing the Lynch song, haven't heard it but I love that they are doing it that way
billgoodman Posted - 08/28/2024 : 23:17:02
quote:

auxfnx Posted - 08/28/2024 : 06:38:21
Damn I had to miss that Galway gig due to work, couldn't get the time off. Looks like a great setlist!
The Maharal Posted - 08/28/2024 : 06:28:20

yarbles Posted - 08/28/2024 : 03:26:31
So last night in Galway, Ireland it looks like they played 5 songs off the new album: Vegas Suite, You're So Impatient, Chicken, Motoroller again, and they debuted Oyster Beds. Man I wish some video would surface of those last two in particular. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pixies/2024/galway-airport-galway-ireland-7bab3e20.html

Anyone going to the gig in Belfast tonight? Please record the new stuff if you do!
natenate101 Posted - 08/27/2024 : 18:37:47
Oyster Beds is easily one of my favorite 2.0 songs. It just sounds like Pixies to me.
Brank_Flack Posted - 08/27/2024 : 15:59:13
Much appreciated yarbles!
Sprite Posted - 08/26/2024 : 07:54:49
Thanks Yarbles. good listen that.
yarbles Posted - 08/26/2024 : 01:23:09
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Can someone copy a link for the BBC6 interview? I can't seem to find it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0021wmn

It was BBC6 Huw Stephens All Points East Live show from Friday Aug 23. Charles' interview starts at 1:40:10

They play You're So Impatient after the interview, no Oyster Beds. so it's audio-spoiler free. Great little interview, the last little bit where Charles is talking about trying to hold the audience's hand and be all chatty and rock n roll showman-like was hilarious.
Brank_Flack Posted - 08/25/2024 : 13:51:55
Can someone copy a link for the BBC6 interview? I can't seem to find it.
billgoodman Posted - 08/25/2024 : 08:00:02
Don't know about that. Was he influenced by playing a Doolittle tour in 2009?
What about Bossa x Trompe this year?

Bedbug Posted - 08/24/2024 : 16:34:53
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

OK I did end up listening in the car as Spotify popped it up and I was curious what my wife would think as she's been really into Teenager of the Year lately.

I definitely like it, but I wasn't blown away. I like that it has strange structure. Two verses and a long instrumental part in between?

Does anybody think Frank practicing the Teenager songs for the upcoming tour may have a songwriting effect on him for the next go round?

We can only hope so
Troubles A Foot Posted - 08/24/2024 : 12:50:39
OK I did end up listening in the car as Spotify popped it up and I was curious what my wife would think as she's been really into Teenager of the Year lately.

I definitely like it, but I wasn't blown away. I like that it has strange structure. Two verses and a long instrumental part in between?

Does anybody think Frank practicing the Teenager songs for the upcoming tour may have a songwriting effect on him for the next go round?
billgoodman Posted - 08/23/2024 : 23:01:25
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Nice chat with Charles on Huw Stephens' 6 Music show just now. Said they're planning another recording session in London later this year...

Listened to it myself and he's already moved on!
Maybe he was braggin a bit about forgetting about Zombies

sdon Posted - 08/23/2024 : 12:23:21
I was also going to write that the vocal delivery on Oysters reminds me of I Sent Away

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Bedbug Posted - 08/23/2024 : 10:27:10
I just hope everyone can get out of the man’s way and let him do what he wants
Brank_Flack Posted - 08/23/2024 : 10:10:58
quote:

I still see it as more of a Seven Fingers type song than a Trompe le Monde type song,

But I like it a lot

Yeah, I was thinking of Seven Fingers as well - maybe a mash of "I Sent Away" and something off TLM?

Great news about the upcoming recording session (I imagine it'll be shortly after this tour wraps up in Europe next week). I'm glad to see that he's getting into more of a groove of consistent recording after a decade-and-change of three year gaps between releases.
Sprite Posted - 08/23/2024 : 10:01:12
PS Is the 6 music show safe to listen to? ie Was Osyter Beds played?
Sprite Posted - 08/23/2024 : 09:59:26
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Nice chat with Charles on Huw Stephens' 6 Music show just now. Said they're planning another recording session in London later this year...

The creative fires are burning!!!
Bedbug Posted - 08/23/2024 : 09:17:54
Word?
billgoodman Posted - 08/23/2024 : 09:17:44
Bring it on!

Ziggy Posted - 08/23/2024 : 09:13:46
Bedbug Posted - 08/23/2024 : 08:32:10
I still see it as more of a Seven Fingers type song than a Trompe le Monde type song,

But I like it a lot
Troubles A Foot Posted - 08/23/2024 : 08:05:22
I'm also going to avoid it. I already know too much of this album.
Brank_Flack Posted - 08/23/2024 : 08:05:19
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

https://youtu.be/UhnOjRjuKhM?si=bCO1jiMbaVn8F7Xy

I like it. Kinda one-note but at least that note is rocking.

Seconded. I think it'll work well as a late-album-pick-me-up.
Bedbug Posted - 08/23/2024 : 07:53:49
quote:

Motoroller sounded very very Frank

That’s also wonderful
billgoodman Posted - 08/23/2024 : 07:53:15
Motoroller sounded very very Frank

Bedbug Posted - 08/23/2024 : 07:25:16