-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 The Night The Zombies Came

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
billgoodman Posted - 10/01/2022 : 01:35:25
What we know (in chronical order):

- Doggerel was made with the 40 demo's/ideas that Frank (and a couple more from Joey) brought to the sessions. They had some good songs that didn't fit the record so they were put aside (acording to FBF in the French Rolling Stone)

- Paz says the band worked on 16 of the 40 songs (bass magazine interview) [12 were released on Doggerel]

- In april (source?) of 2022 the Pixies and Tom Dalgety recorded for a week in Rockfield Studios (Wales).

- One of the songs Frank liked from the demo's, but did not do during the Doggerel-sessions, that they tried to record in Wales. Bluesy, stomper song, "I enjoyed it as an acoustic demo" [...] they tried to make it bigger, better and louder, but "in the end it was just too loud", "too much information". It didn't work out, it was failure, "thank god we didn't release this because we were in a rush"
(interview on Raised on Radio)

- Joey brought some songs to the table again (working titles Howie's Garage, I hear you mary, Taking care of bid'ness, according to Uncut interview). They recorded three ideas in Rockfield (according to Under the Radar interview), maybe those three?

- Paz recorded two songs for it (according to BF in French interview)

- Frank to SPIN: [On Doggerel] "I think that’s one more writing collaboration than has appeared on any other disc in the Pixies catalog. I imagine there will be much more collaboration forthcoming. I sense it.”

- Session in Wales didn't go that well, acording to FBF in Ultimate Music Guide :
"I was not in a good mood for lots of reasons"
I was very frustrated because now Mr Fucking Producer wants to work on all the fucking artsy-fartsy scraps from the margin. I got all these 40 fucking songs I wrote, for once in my life I do my homework............Now I show up with the goods and they're like [] these werid little things that you didn't intend over here bla bla
[ ]
I threw my notebook on top of the roof [..] I threw about three temper tantrums in about eight days

- Joey in Under the Radar:
"we have recorded so far about seven or eight demos for the next album. There will be a ninth album, we’re planning that already. After a good amount of a break, we will start recording again some time next year. We’re already kicking around what part of the world to work and record in next time"

- October 2023: Pixies record a new session with Tom Dalgety at Guilford Sounds, same place were Doggerel was recorded

- Paz leaves the band in october 2023 - march 2024

- Pixies play Vegas Suite, a new song, on the Bossanova Trompe tour

- Pixies rehearse a new song, which is posted on instagram: https://fb.watch/qROLONNt-1/

- Frank Black plays a new song, which is posted on instagram:
https://fb.watch/qROQ6dvc5M/

- 11 song titles are published on the BMI website

It's here: https://pixies.tmstor.es/

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 09/27/2024 : 03:53:27
That’s great
billgoodman Posted - 09/26/2024 : 21:31:41
No just a promotional poster

picpic Posted - 09/26/2024 : 10:44:03
Is… is this the actual cover ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
tamefan Posted - 09/26/2024 : 10:09:07
Charles is going as Saint Denis for Halloween

quote:
Pre-order a copy of our new album “The Night the Zombies Came”, out just in time for Halloween, via our UK store for a chance to win this spooky artwork on canvas from the one and only
@stan_chow

From the band's X
Bedbug Posted - 09/23/2024 : 18:11:42
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

A shame that Ralph Carney passed away a few years ago. He was brilliant on The Golem and obviously everything he did with Tom Waits. Didn't realise he did the Bojack theme song.

One of the best theme songs of this century
peter radiator Posted - 09/23/2024 : 14:40:08
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

I hope it's clear to all that TMBG bit is totally untrue...

"Nothing is true / Everything is permitted"

~ Hassan-i-Sabbah, W.S. Burroughs, Jim Carrol, et al

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
The Maharal Posted - 09/23/2024 : 13:22:37
A shame that Ralph Carney passed away a few years ago. He was brilliant on The Golem and obviously everything he did with Tom Waits. Didn't realise he did the Bojack theme song.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 09/23/2024 : 07:50:32
I hope it's clear to all that TMBG bit is totally untrue...
cptnpasty Posted - 09/22/2024 : 23:02:50
Thing is, even if the specificity of an interpretation like this is way off base, it's still a beautiful thing to see—an illustration of exactly how an imagination is supposed to spark in response to a song.

quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

Of course I am probably COMPLETELY off-base here, but I cannot help but feel that the lyrics to this song may be a combination of abstracted nods to three totally unrelated events, all of which are either directly or tangentially connected to the city of Berlin.

Whatever personal shit FBF was dealing with while (possibly) in Berlin, (possibly) over the phone, is one aspect/event.

The second aspect is related to David Bowie's 1973 Aladdin Sane tour concert at Detroit's Mason(ic) Hall. Bowie himself has a fabled history with the city of Berlin, as that's where he famously tried to kick dope (along with his pal, and FBF's idol/hero Iggy Pop), and in the process made a number of important, transitional albums.

The third event is the real-life situation which inspired his friends TMBG's later composition of their song "Road Movie to Berlin," a song which FBF himself covered several years ago for an indie label TMBG tribute album.

The two Johns in TMBG wrote that song reminiscing about the very moment that the Berlin Wall was falling.

They happened to be playing a show in Berlin that same night, and they took it upon themselves to climb up on the wall and then, on a whim, jump over into another country (landing on mattresses which had been placed there to help those who wanted to take advantage of the chaos of the situation).

They did this without having their passports on them, and without any sort of permission to cross that border. It was truly a "leap of faith," and a rather risky one at that.

I have no doubt that FBF was familiar with the inspiration behind that TMBG song, and his lyrics

"First you run outta time
Then you run outta space
It's like watching a line erased"

sound to me like a reference to the disintegration of the Berlin Wall.

His lyrics

"They killed it dead at Mason hall
I hit my head against the wall
We tried to play it on the saxophone
We tried to play it but that shit was blown"

sound to me like a reference to FBF at some point attempting to work up and/or record a Bowie cover that had been played at that 1973 Mason(ic) Hall gig, perhaps with his occasional collaborator Jack Kidney on sax, but failing to find the right groove or a suitable performance.

It's also possible it could refer to an Iggy Pop / Stooges gig at that same venue. I can find no written evidence or listing of any such Stooges gig at that hall, but it is likely that Iggy performed there at some point, either with or without that group.

If the Stooges did play there, it could have been during the time that saxophonist Steve Mackay was in that band.

Again, I'm probably wrong, and if FBF sees this post he may laugh out loud or roll his eyes at how far off-base this notion is.

But it's hard for me not to see the falling of the Berlin Wall in

Then you run outta space

~ PR

--

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/14/books/funny-novels-humor.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/23/books/review-lake-of-urine-guillermo-stitch.html
billgoodman Posted - 09/22/2024 : 22:51:05
I enjoyed this a lot, Peter

peter radiator Posted - 09/22/2024 : 16:48:12
Of course I am probably COMPLETELY off-base here, but I cannot help but feel that the lyrics to this song may be a combination of abstracted nods to three totally unrelated events, all of which are either directly or tangentially connected to the city of Berlin.

Whatever personal shit FBF was dealing with while (possibly) in Berlin, (possibly) over the phone, is one aspect/event.

The second aspect is related to David Bowie's 1973 Aladdin Sane tour concert at Detroit's Mason(ic) Hall. Bowie himself has a fabled history with the city of Berlin, as that's where he famously tried to kick dope (along with his pal, and FBF's idol/hero Iggy Pop), and in the process made a number of important, transitional albums.

The third event is the real-life situation which inspired his friends TMBG's later composition of their song "Road Movie to Berlin," a song which FBF himself covered several years ago for an indie label TMBG tribute album.

The two Johns in TMBG wrote that song reminiscing about the very moment that the Berlin Wall was falling.

They happened to be playing a show in Berlin that same night, and they took it upon themselves to climb up on the wall and then, on a whim, jump over into another country (landing on mattresses which had been placed there to help those who wanted to take advantage of the chaos of the situation).

They did this without having their passports on them, and without any sort of permission to cross that border. It was truly a "leap of faith," and a rather risky one at that.

I have no doubt that FBF was familiar with the inspiration behind that TMBG song, and his lyrics

Then you run outta space

sound to me like a reference to the disintegration of the Berlin Wall.

His lyrics

"They killed it dead at Mason hall
We tried to play it but that shit was blown"

sound to me like a reference to FBF at some point attempting to work up and/or record a Bowie cover that had been played at that 1973 Mason(ic) Hall gig, perhaps with his occasional collaborator Jack Kidney on sax, but failing to find the right groove or a suitable performance.

It's also possible it could refer to an Iggy Pop / Stooges gig at that same venue. I can find no written evidence or listing of any such Stooges gig at that hall, but it is likely that Iggy performed there at some point, either with or without that group.

If the Stooges did play there, it could have been during the time that saxophonist Steve Mackay was in that band.

Again, I'm probably wrong, and if FBF sees this post he may laugh out loud or roll his eyes at how far off-base this notion is.

But it's hard for me not to see the falling of the Berlin Wall in

Then you run outta space

~ PR

--

Stevio10 Posted - 09/21/2024 : 09:14:33
I had theory in another thread but from the new info here I'm guessing there is a Chubby Checker reference in there. Tongue is tied - twist - think he played Berlin in the 60s? And theres the song Ernest Evans as well on the album. Saxophone, yeah little snippets of clues in there.

Also the Chubby Checker song Toot is about his baby with a motor scooter.
Brank_Flack Posted - 09/21/2024 : 07:46:19
Here's the full lyrics if any one wants to take a crack at it. A gig involving a saxaphone gone wrong at a Mason Hall in Berlin? I'm presuming this is based on a real incident.

First you run outta time
Then you run outta space
It's like watching a line erased
First your tongue is tied
Then your words collide
Just right when you found your place

First you run outta time
Then you run outta space
It was a very good line

I rode my scooter 'round Berlin
I washed away all my sin
I tried to call you on the telephone
And now I gotta do this all alone

First you run outta time
Then you run outta space
It was a very good line

First you run outta time
Then you run outta space
First your tongue is tied
Then your words collide
Just right when you found your place

First you run outta time
Then you run outta space
It was a very good line

They killed it dead at Mason hall
We tried to play it but that shit was blown

First you run outta time
Then you run outta space
It was a very good line

First you run outta time
Then you run outta space
First you run outta time
Then you run outta space
Bedbug Posted - 09/20/2024 : 18:37:00
Thanks for sharing that

So interesting

Frank does so much with so little
Brank_Flack Posted - 09/20/2024 : 17:31:48
Read this statement in an article about the Motoroller release:

“This is one of those kinds of songs where there’s little threads you can follow and they take you somewhere. But they’re not required for the experience. You can just start fishing around in the lyrics, and maybe you won’t find exactly what the story is, but you’ll find a story related to the city of Berlin. So just have fun with the clues that are there.”

Any thoughts?

billgoodman Posted - 09/18/2024 : 23:35:23
Yes!

And I think Pixies 2.0 are way better in achieving a kind of Bossanova-vibe than any other classic Pixies 1.0-albums.

Would be great to get vocals like the very catchy, but still cool, Dig for fire

Troubles A Foot Posted - 09/18/2024 : 22:30:57
Yeah actually this is something I've been wanting to talk about, how Pixies vocals sound sometimes:

A good example is Dig For Fire. Ok. I work in audio production a lot but I just can't figure out how those voices sound the way they do. I know there's reverb, layering, etc, but it just sounds so beautifully full and kind of purposefully messy and so lush and huge. There's also this breathy quality that is so pleasing to my ear, and Frank really only does this again on some Indie Cindy songs and then...never again?

But "I'm digging for fire..." I would love to look at those tracks and FX and see how they achieved that. Bossanova is full of that but I think it reaches the highest point with Dig For Fire.
billgoodman Posted - 09/18/2024 : 21:29:19
You could be right about this
Maybe they went for dreamy and got carried away with the fx

Troubles A Foot Posted - 09/18/2024 : 15:14:28
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:

quote:

I feel you. Indie Cindy is very energetic. And has some killer songs, that drag on forever.
Vocals sound downright awful to me. Female element is also missings.

The vocals on Indie Cindy are the best they have sounded so far in the entire 2.0 era. What Goes Boom sounds ferocious and explodes out of the speakers. Magdalena is so spacey and layered just like on Bossanova. Frank sounds so youthful and like the album literally came out right after Trompe.

Genuinely don't know what people are hearing sometimes...

I agree with this. FB singing for the Pixies just sounds so much better multi-tracked. Compare any of the leads on Indie Cindy with say the two verses on Silver Bullet (a great song but the vocal delivery really grates me nowadays). I just think Gil Norton really knew how to get Franks voice into the sweet spot.

Maybe it depends on the song. Andro Queen is drenched in reverb, I also suspect some artificial tuning of the vocals. Same with Greens and Blues.

Oh let me be super clear and clarify this:

The worst thing about IC's vocals is whatever processing or autotuning is happening which is noticeable on those songs you mention. I basically consider this a musical crime to do this on Frank's voice.

But I think OVERALL the spacey, atmospheric, layered, messy and dreamy sound to the vocals on IC is way better than the fairly direct and polished sound on the following albums.
The Maharal Posted - 09/18/2024 : 12:50:11
I thought the telephone bit was a small nod to the Nerves / Blondie Hanging On The Telephone.

I'd consider all the 2.0 albums to be fairly so-so overall. Some lovely moments but also a lot of crud. Indie Cindy had the best songs but almost every song needs a trim. I love Ring the Bell but it continues on far too long.

Saw this comment about another band on another forum recently and don't think it's too far off the mark: ''I heard one of the tracks released from it and was underwhelmed, thought the whole thing would be a watered down, sad, plodding reincarnation like Pixies.''

Quite like Oyster Bed and Motoroller (official release sounds way better than the rehearsal video) though so maybe this new album will plod less.
Brank_Flack Posted - 09/18/2024 : 08:26:07
quote:

quote:

I feel you. Indie Cindy is very energetic. And has some killer songs, that drag on forever.

The vocals on Indie Cindy are the best they have sounded so far in the entire 2.0 era. What Goes Boom sounds ferocious and explodes out of the speakers. Magdalena is so spacey and layered just like on Bossanova. Frank sounds so youthful and like the album literally came out right after Trompe.

I 100% agree. I was thinking the same thing when re-listening to it last month.

I do like the approach to the vocals on Motoroller, which might be my favourite of the batch.

As of now I'd probably go:

Motoroller
Oyster Bed
Chicken
Vegas Suite (live)
You're So Impatient

Bedbug Posted - 09/18/2024 : 03:04:10
I’m not sure I can see Kim on those songs really, but who knows. I think Ring the Bell is like the HCYM of IC. Shame they haven’t really done it live.

Motoroller is good. More interesting lyrics (still quite minimal) like his use of the word “telephone”
billgoodman Posted - 09/18/2024 : 01:55:41
Ring the Bell is another song that feature lead vocals that sound bad to me
It's a good song, I guess, just skip a lot of the repetition and let a woman sing it. Good call, Joey Joe Jr, that should have been Kim.

Pagan Man should have been Paz too. And Long Rider should have never been a duet. Or have a wall of vocals.

When I listen to Motoroller I hear some great not overproduced vocal performances. Maybe it isn't good on the technical side of recording (I have not checked compression or anyhting) but the vocal arrangement is how I like FBF to sound.

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo Posted - 09/18/2024 : 01:03:59
Pretty sure 'Ring The Bell' was meant to be sung by Kim Deal.
Very soon, artificial intelligence will make possible switching voices from any recordings. So, we will be able to hear IC and all the 2.0 Pixies songs with the voice of Kim Deal. It might be just as good as hearing the Bag Boy chorus. It will change history again by deleting it. Oh,Baby, That's Art. :)

++++
Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo Posted - 09/18/2024 : 00:59:18
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree with this. FB singing for the Pixies just sounds so much better multi-tracked. Compare any of the leads on Indie Cindy with say the two verses on Silver Bullet (a great song but the vocal delivery really grates me nowadays). I just think Gil Norton really knew how to get Franks voice into the sweet spot.

Maybe it depends on the song. Andro Queen is drenched in reverb, I also suspect some artificial tuning of the vocals. Same with Greens and Blues.

But his vocal on the verses of the title track and bagboy sounds better than a lot of 2.0

IC was a missed opportunity.

Agree with you on IC's main problems. Some great songs, but many of the performances are just too slow, and drag on forever. You get the sense that a fear of sounding too contrived pushed them too far in the other direction.

Some revealing interviews from around the time about Joey not wanting to sound 'like Joey' too. Some great guitar work on the album but not enough of the trademark squall.

The Kim situation certainly didn't help matters. Clearly the story changes slightly over what the plan actually was at Rockfield (did Kim really think they were there for a month just to record four songs?!), but I can't help wonder whether the eventual songs choices changed somewhat without a female vocalist in the mix (we can be pretty sure some of the songs that later appeared on HC were at least demoed by BF at that point). The album needed songs like 'Oona', 'Classic Masher' and 'Women of War'.

Not sure the EP strategy really helped matters either.

Would love to see Gil at the helm again though. When you think of the 'challenging' circumstances of the recording, everyone deserves credit for the fact the record got made at all!

++++
Ziggy Posted - 09/18/2024 : 00:05:18
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But his vocal on the verses of the title track and bagboy sounds better than a lot of 2.0

Agree with you on IC's main problems. Some great songs, but many of the performances are just too slow, and drag on forever. You get the sense that a fear of sounding too contrived pushed them too far in the other direction.

Some revealing interviews from around the time about Joey not wanting to sound 'like Joey' too. Some great guitar work on the album but not enough of the trademark squall.

The Kim situation certainly didn't help matters. Clearly the story changes slightly over what the plan actually was at Rockfield (did Kim really think they were there for a month just to record four songs?!), but I can't help wonder whether the eventual songs choices changed somewhat without a female vocalist in the mix (we can be pretty sure some of the songs that later appeared on HC were at least demoed by BF at that point). The album needed songs like 'Oona', 'Classic Masher' and 'Women of War'.

Not sure the EP strategy really helped matters either.

Would love to see Gil at the helm again though. When you think of the 'challenging' circumstances of the recording, everyone deserves credit for the fact the record got made at all!

billgoodman Posted - 09/17/2024 : 23:42:52
quote:

quote:

quote:

billgoodman Posted - 09/17/2024 : 23:40:36
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie

I was thinking recently, I'd rank BTE as the top 2.0 album (and the BTE demos might be second) but I think Nomatterday and Doggerel are my favorite 2.0 songs.

Yeah those songs are classics. And BTE and the demo's and the podcast made that era so good. A shame the tour was cancelled during Covid.

Jamie Posted - 09/17/2024 : 23:36:41
I was thinking recently, I'd rank BTE as the top 2.0 album (and the BTE demos might be second) but I think Nomatterday and Doggerel are my favorite 2.0 songs.
Sprite Posted - 09/17/2024 : 23:29:02
quote:

quote:

billgoodman Posted - 09/17/2024 : 23:06:28
You have a way with words!

Troubles A Foot Posted - 09/17/2024 : 21:12:28
They sound atmospheric and mysterious and cool to me.
billgoodman Posted - 09/17/2024 : 21:11:03
I like the lead vocals on those songs, yes
The backing vocals though...and stuff like Another Toe and Andro Queen sound awful

Troubles A Foot Posted - 09/17/2024 : 18:06:43
quote:

Brank_Flack Posted - 09/17/2024 : 12:27:10
That sounds worth doing. For what it's worth, I'd put Pixies 2.0 over the post-imperial, pre-alt-country, mid-to-late 90s four-piece period (i.e., Cult of Ray/FB&TC/Pistolero/Oddballs).

Meanwhile, I think it's about even with the Black Francis solo era. I think Bluefinger and Beneath the Eyrie are about tied as my favourite post 2007 albums, and Indie Cindy would probably follow in my top 3. The gap between IC/HC/BTE/Doggerel and Bluefinger/Svn Fngrs/NSE/The Golem is pretty tight if there is one - I could probably be swayed either way. I'm might even be more inclined to either see them as a single BF 2.0 era, but I digress.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000