-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 We want YOU to contribute to a future podcast

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Broken Face Posted - 11/02/2009 : 15:30:06
Hey everyone,

Just a quick note/update on our podcasts. Because of Dean's travels (the lucky bastard), we've pre-recorded all of our podcasts through April. However, i am going through and editing/adding news and other bits as the months approach. In addition to what we already have, i would love to get some additional contributions from you guys for these, and future podcasts.

So, here is a brief recap of the various segments we do on the show that we could use your help with:

-Crack Pot Theory - do you have a theory about what a particular Frank Black song is about? If so, please record (as high-quality as is possible) yourself discussing your theory, and we'll gladly play it, along with the song in question, on a future podcast. This is the feature that we are looking for specifically, so get your tin foil hats on and come up with something!
Example: Episode 32's CPT on "Garbage Heap"

-FrankBlack.net Salon - do you have a band that you'd like to promote? If so, post a track in our Salon section, and we'll gladly consider it for a future podcast. Also, if you've posted something already, send us an email - we're busy guys and don't always have a chance to listen to everything posted.
Example: Episode 31 featured a song by 39 Dead Monks

-Frank Black to Back - are there two really different/interesting versions of a Frank Black song that you'd like us to play? Suggest one!
Example: Episode 39's "Bill Jocko" Black to Back

ALSO - AND MOST IMPORTANTLY:

Dean is going to be away until May, and we don't know if we'll be able to record a podcast long distance, so for May we may have a podcast made up almost entirely of fan submissions. If we can record a May podcast, then we'll use this one during a particularly busy month in the future. So, what we need you to do is this...

We want to know about a song that was a slow burn for you. One that maybe didn't hit you the first, second, or even one hundredth time. But then...BAM! Suddenly you got it. So please record a short introduction for the song of your choice, and let us know your original thoughts before sharing the story of the time that it kicked in for you. Try and keep them under a minute and try and record them as clearly as possible!

So, our email has been really fussy lately (or not functional at all), and since Dean usually mans our podcast email, i've created a special email address just for podcast stuff until he gets back. So, please email me at FBpodcast***at***gmail.com. Obviously, replace the ***at*** - but writing it this way will, hopefully, deter spam-bots.

Thanks in advance - and please share your slow burn with us. Who knows - maybe you'll wind up on our podcast!

Thanks for listening,
Brian
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Broken Face Posted - 06/02/2010 : 06:27:23
Hey Mike (Johnnyribcage) - i've tried to email you via the email you signed up on the site with, but i have no idea if that is still your current email - please shoot me an email via fbpodcast(at)gmail(dot)com, because i want to use one of your tracks on an upcoming podcast.

- Brian
johnnyribcage Posted - 04/10/2010 : 21:20:57
BrokenFace,

I tried to email you a few times through the website's email links, but I keep getting error messages about microsoft-something-or-other. I thought the world had been Mac-a-sized by now... Anyway, I have some crap you may be interested in. We have a bit of a vibe going on that might fit your request for podcast filler. The website is www.myspace.com/ridewiththechange

If you dig it on any level, let me know and I can send you super fancy-pants hi-fi versions of the songs on the website.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
joe FITZ of molly BANG Posted - 02/24/2010 : 11:23:40
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

Wow, this is hilarious. I think Dean sounds very Canadian and i sound very eastern-US. I'm the one who talks way too fast and mumbles.

- Brian

i kind of get you guys mixed up as well.
joe FITZ of molly BANG Posted - 02/24/2010 : 11:23:03
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

Slow burn...ah, the whole of DW and BLD.

I need lots of time to think about that.

The ice-breaker was Fields of Marigold.
You can find that story if you look.

I just compared the remix and album versions of
Debaser as noted here.

That was interesting!

As for CPT, I think possibly that All Over the
World was [partially] Frank walking through Dali's
The Persistence of Time. But I will leave it up to
you to expound on that. See Here!
[I wonder if he has ever sung it, or had considered
Dog at my side, God in the sky.]

You should scour the forums for some of these
theories, if you push people they do tend to
defend themselves! So PUSH'em.

Maybe a collective CPT!

How about Wave of Mutilation and Dennis Wilson.
I know that's somewhere out there.

And there's the Here Comes Your Man, Living
On Soul, Half-Man continuity theory!

[A story. I didn't know Two-Reelers was about The
Three Stooges, so I thought, Mr. White, Joe and
another Joe, the World's Smallest Violin...it must
be about Reservoir Dogs! And now that I have found out
I think, did Quentin Tarantino name his characters after
the Three Stooges?]

at least half of pixies frank black songs were slow burns for me.
pmjk Posted - 01/08/2010 : 01:00:05
I like this crackpot theory also. I think it is well thought out and credible.

However,
I posted a question to BF in the “Questions for Black Francis” part of his forum.
He responded in a video blog and said that the song was about Nephilims.

I cant seem to find this blog anymore.

A Nephilim can be described as a hybrid offspring of fallen angels and human women.
This would fit into the demigod theme of the rest of svnfngrs.

I could find obvious references to 7 in the other 6 tracks but not this one.
But then I discovered this.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mourning-Sun-Fields-Nephilim/dp/B000BR6FCE
Mourning Sun by Fields of the Nephilim, which also has 7 tracks.
Tenuous link I know.
mikaelp75 Posted - 01/07/2010 : 03:03:49
I've been away for awhile and am currently listening to back episodes and enjoying them immensely.

I agree with the crackpot theory about my favorite Black Francis track Garbage Heap, and would like to add that I think the narrator in the song might be Mary Magdalene. For those not familiar with occult tradition (or recent films and books on the subject), she was supposedly the only female disciple and/or bore Jesus' child. This would have been censored from the bible for obvious reasons, although some clues are left in there: For instance, she's present at the cross with the other ("virgin") Mary, which only families were allowed to be at the time, etc. Anyways, I digress. It makes sense in the context of the song.
Crackitybones Posted - 11/24/2009 : 01:46:29
Can we have a video podcast to prove Dean hasn't got pointy ears and a ginger beard?
pot Posted - 11/23/2009 : 23:08:38
A northern irishman once asked me if I was northen irish, or "you norn' iri'?" as I heard it. A lot of people think I am Irish too actually, possibly because I come from south west scotland which is geographically close to NI. A lot of people also think I am english because I lived in england for about 6 years which softening my accent up a bit.

*emergency crappy askiitobee*
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 11/23/2009 : 18:29:10
I was just told by an Australian girl that I sound Irish. Again. Aussies always think I'm Irish. This is a bit mind-boggling to me, especially as I have stopped wearing green.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
pot Posted - 11/23/2009 : 06:02:17
That's interesting, although I would have thought the fact that the sun was shining would have been a dead giveaway.

I have often thought that Australian accents do sound quite similar to well spoken English sometimes, also Irish can be heard in there a bit too. Some of the actors in Neighbours and Home & Away have made it onto British soaps actually, but playing Australian characters though. I'm not sure but i think some have also appeared in other TV Shows playing English characters as well.

I once had a pint with Doctor Carl, he was over doing a play once when I stayed in Malvern and I bumped into him in a local pub. He was was jokes about how some of the girls in it had really massive tits. :-D

gyaneshwar Posted - 11/23/2009 : 05:22:44
pot - that is really funny. But to make you feel better, when I first moved to London in 1996, I saw the show "Neighbors" and thought it was a British show. This despite the Australian accents and sunny locale.

When I look back now, I'm not sure why the hell I couldn't figure out they were Australian. I guess the 19 year old me didn't have much experience listening to English-speakers from elsewhere in the world.

Even now, if you asked me to tell the difference between even regional English dialects, I would be screwed.

I don't feel too badly, though, because when I was teaching at a high school in Northolt, I was constantly told I sounded "just like Elvis." Which I definitely do not. I think if you haven't heard a person from the southern US speak before, we all sound like Elvis - I dunno.
Broken Face Posted - 11/23/2009 : 04:26:00
Wow, this is hilarious. I think Dean sounds very Canadian and i sound very eastern-US. I'm the one who talks way too fast and mumbles.

- Brian
darwin Posted - 11/23/2009 : 04:25:19
I don't know. To me New Jersey and western Canada are two pretty distinct North American accents.
pot Posted - 11/23/2009 : 00:20:36
Yeah, I think it's just one of these superficial resemblances type of things. I remember you guys talking about your accents in one of the podcasts, about how one of you (I can't remember which) had a strange accent. I really didn't notice, to me you both just sound like you have fairly standard north american accents. Even when I try to imagine your voices in my head, it's just one voice!

It's probably because I don't actually see you guys talking in the podcasts, I know what you look like, but if I could just put the voice to the face in my head it might help.

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 11/22/2009 : 16:29:21
Hahaha, Pot you've given me a great idea, that's hilarious. I can't believe you can't tell us apart.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
floop Posted - 11/22/2009 : 09:57:26
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

Pick one, hammer, expand it, and send it in!

And LBF, if we ever start one of those "An Evening With..." series, you'll be the first forum member i call.

- Brian

i think i'd prefer "An Evening With.." LBF's mom
pot Posted - 11/21/2009 : 17:38:06
I'm still waiting for the moment when I finally have the ability to discern the voice of Brain from Dean, because at the moment all I can do is hold the memory of whose voice is who from one of you referring to the other during the podcast. After a while when i come back to listen to your podcast and I think to myself, which one of you is currently talking, I just can't remember!?!

Is it because I am a drunken stoned bastard at the moment, or is it because Dean and Brain DON"T in fact have different voices at all. It's the same guy pretending to to be two different people.
Broken Face Posted - 11/04/2009 : 02:19:58
Pick one, hammer, expand it, and send it in!

And LBF, if we ever start one of those "An Evening With..." series, you'll be the first forum member i call.

- Brian
hammerhands Posted - 11/03/2009 : 23:58:29
Slow burn...ah, the whole of DW and BLD.

I need lots of time to think about that.

The ice-breaker was Fields of Marigold.
You can find that story if you look.

I just compared the remix and album versions of
Debaser as noted here.

That was interesting!

As for CPT, I think possibly that All Over the
World was [partially] Frank walking through Dali's
The Persistence of Time. But I will leave it up to
you to expound on that. See Here!
[I wonder if he has ever sung it, or had considered
Dog at my side, God in the sky.]

You should scour the forums for some of these
theories, if you push people they do tend to
defend themselves! So PUSH'em.

Maybe a collective CPT!

How about Wave of Mutilation and Dennis Wilson.
I know that's somewhere out there.

And there's the Here Comes Your Man, Living
On Soul, Half-Man continuity theory!

[A story. I didn't know Two-Reelers was about The
Three Stooges, so I thought, Mr. White, Joe and
another Joe, the World's Smallest Violin...it must
be about Reservoir Dogs! And now that I have found out
I think, did Quentin Tarantino name his characters after
the Three Stooges?]
Little Black Francis Posted - 11/02/2009 : 20:43:21
I want an hour with LBf

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page