Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Not worth a topic, but at least postable...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2019 :  09:44:08  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally, an explanation for the Pixies 1.0 and Bluefinger eras.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48077012
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2019 :  03:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Finally, an explanation for the Pixies 1.0 and Bluefinger eras.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48077012

Nailed it
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2019 :  08:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

According to Josh Frank on twitter, he and BF are working on a screenplay...no other details shared. How postable this news is I'm not sure but there you go!

Have you seen anything more about the screenplay?
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1066 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2019 :  12:35:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

According to Josh Frank on twitter, he and BF are working on a screenplay...no other details shared. How postable this news is I'm not sure but there you go!

Have you seen anything more about the screenplay?

Not heard anything, looks like Josh Frank is pretty busy with his new book release - Giraffes on Horseback Salad - a graphic novel based on a screenplay written by Salvatore Dali in 1937 for the Marx brothers. Looks pretty interesting, will check it out.

As on observation, Charles appears to have stopped with social media recently, he seems pretty elusive these days. Especially with interviews, it's usually Joey or Dave doing them all now.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2019 :  06:21:14  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/eddie-vedder-pearl-jam-favourite-albums-list/amp/ Eddie Vedder loves Rosa.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

959 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2019 :  09:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rSlwA1M2lc&fbclid=IwAR2TZ1Yis-Zxq1r0nLuyKb8tnV9ZYFXIbrshxbitnWtDmuSwVQq7E-prM9Q

Pete Yorn (whom BF has worked with) performing Here Comes Your Man with Liz Phair. Think it needs more Liz.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2019 :  03:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://genius.com/a/g-eazy-samples-pixies-where-is-my-mind-on-a-very-strange-time

I'm not sure who G-Eazy is, but the link will take you to him flipping WIMM
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2019 :  08:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rolling Stone list of Top 100 albums of the 90s. (SPOILER) Bossanova made the cut. Trompe and TOTY did not.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/gallery/100-best-albums-of-the-90s/ss-AAItkRO?ocid=spartanntp#image=101
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2020 :  19:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Frank Black series on my website. The plan is to talk about every single Frank Black album, from Pixies to solos to Catholics to Grand Duchy. And maybe tell the story of his body of work, in my own way, as a fan buying up everything for about fifty years now. It's loose and rude and silly and it starts here with an introduction and a little dissection of COME ON PILGRIM: http://www.theconstantbleeder.com/2020/01/18/frank-black-o-rama-1-introduction-and-come-on-pilgrim/

Edited by - Jason on 01/17/2020 19:04:17
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2020 :  18:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing, Jason. That's a good read.

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2020 :  00:12:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was great Jason. Looking forward to your whole series.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2020 :  18:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the nice comments!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2020 :  16:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let us know when the next installments are
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2020 :  20:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely! I'll post updates in this thread.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  09:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#2 in the Frank Black series on The Constant Bleeder Dot Com is up. It's about SURFER ROSA and why I like it and why I also can't listen to it anymore. I also talk about the "Live at the Fallout Shelter" disc on the recent reissue.

http://www.theconstantbleeder.com/2020/02/10/frank-black-o-rama-2-surfer-rosa/
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  10:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another great read Jason, thank you.

Similar experience for me, discovered SR in 90 and couldn't listen again for a long time. Nothing else on earth like this album.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  18:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate that. Can't wait to get to "Teenager of the Year" and the Catholics era. That's where my heart is when it comes to Frank's music. All of that stuff is going to be a lot of fun to write about.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2020 :  18:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank Black-o-Rama! #3 on Le Constant Bleeder Dot Com is up and it's all about DOOLITTLE.

http://www.theconstantbleeder.com/2020/03/15/frank-black-o-rama-3-doolittle/

I wanted this up two weeks ago, but I went back-and-forth on where I wanted to go with it. Albums that nine million other writers have covered are the hardest ones to write about for me. What do I have to add that no one else has said? That's when you get personal, but hopefully you don't crawl too far up your own ass.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2020 :  08:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was a really good one Jason, especially when, like with SR, what can you say about Doolittle that hasn't already been said. It's such an interesting thing to think of these two albums as two of the best albums ever and yet be so sick of them that you can't even listen to one song unless you're doing it on purpose. That's really weird.

Anyway, great read, love that you're doing these and reminding us to check in from time to time. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series with you.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2020 :  19:13:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. Also, Bedbug, you described exactly the hook that got me through over 2,000 words about "Doolittle". You love an album that you just can't listen to anymore. Now, it seems like the obvious way to go, but it took me a few drafts to figure that out. That's just how it goes sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2020 :  05:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting Jason.

We probably could start thread on this, but what if any are some FBF tunes that you absolutely never get sick of, can listen to every single day, never hit the skip button on.

For me, nothing from the first three 1.0 albums would make that list. I'll be thinking about Boss and TLM if there are any on there. Seems that there could be some.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  11:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know. There probably aren't very many songs by anybody that I could listen to everyday.

I am listening to Bossanova here and there lately and making notes for the next article and am enjoying it. It's probably my favorite of the pre-solo batch.

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2020 :  11:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pop station at work will play the same songs multiple times a day every day for months and months. It truly is maddening. It would be less maddening if they were FBF tunes or something else. But I hear your point.

Looking forward to the Bossanova article. Lots of strong opinions around here on that disc.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2020 :  08:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry if this is old, old news but I just saw this funny aquabats sketch with Tony Hawk, got a nice FBF reference that made me smile. If you already knew than you already know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq16kD3CGAg
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2020 :  04:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank Black-O-Rama! #4: BOSSANOVA
BOSSANOVA is an apocalyptic album for these apocalyptic times. I, your humble reporter at the Constant Bleeder, attempts to explain why BOSSANOVA is my favorite Pixies album.

http://www.theconstantbleeder.com/2020/04/24/frank-black-o-rama-4-bossanova/
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2020 :  05:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! Can’t wait to read it!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2020 :  09:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant, great observations as always. Really enjoyed reading that one.

Bossanova was definitely the first thing he did that fans (some, most, all?) didn't like, but how many of us have come to love it. My second favorite 1.0 after TLM. Really appreciate your series. Great insights and history.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2020 :  06:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for reading, Bedbug (and others here who are bothering with it). I really appreciate it. I wanted this article finished earlier, but World Events slowed me down for a bit. I seem to be on a once-a-month cycle with these things.

I listen to TLM here and there and I like it a lot. I will have many positive things to say about it in May.
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2020 :  08:05:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, my thumbs up post has disappeared into the ether :/

Thoroughly enjoying reading these, I've not played out the earlier stuff but Bossa is the one which keeps on giving :)

Edited by - stuczuba on 05/01/2020 08:06:16
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2020 :  16:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks stuczuba!

Also...
Frank Black-O-Rama! #5: TROMPE LE MONDE
http://www.theconstantbleeder.com/2020/05/20/frank-black-o-rama-5-trompe-le-monde/

Break-ups and aliens and faxes.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2020 :  05:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great stuff Jason. Loved every minute of reading this. And I learned a few things!

I am definitely one of the people who considers this the first FB solo album, although I guess sometimes I think Bossanova would qualify too. I remember buying the TLM cassette tape the week it came out. At the time I still thought Surfer and Doolittle were better, but my how times have changed. Trompe is the best thing he's ever done in my opinion (as I think I voted in album survivor).

You really do justice to all of the albums that you cover. Can't wait for the article on "Frank Black."

And that 1996 quote of him in the Dallas Observer, wow, that is heavy.

I can't ever seem to find much in the way of behind the scenes of the recording of TLM out there. If you know any please pass along. I think it deserves some 331/3 or Past is Prologue type treatment. This album transports me back to high school without ever getting old. That is talent.

Thanks again for writing these and sharing with us.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2020 :  13:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much. I think on "Bossanova" Black Francis starts to slowly turn into Frank Black, but on "Trompe le Monde", he's mutated further into his future state. Eric Drew Feldman is also so important to the first two Frank Black albums that I think if the Pixies somehow continued after "Trompe le Monde", he would have likely been the "fifth Pixie". He did tour with them in 1991 and '92 and on stage added keyboard to some old Pixies songs even (see the "Live at Brixton" concert video). So, Feldman's presence is a turning point for me.

And, yes, I'm looking forward to the future entries, too. I have a bunch of notes. They're a big mess. But I'm going to make sense of them because that's my idea of fun.

Right now, the next five entries look like this

#6 FRANK BLACK
#7 TEENAGER OF THE YEAR
#8 PEEL SESSION EP WITH TEENAGE FANCLUB
#9 BLACK SESSIONS LIVE
#10 THE CULT OF RAY

Those entries are set in stone, but the numbers aren't.

I might do the HANG ON TO YOUR EGO single in there as #7, but I'm not sure, yet. I don't want to get too into the collector weirdo thing, but those B-sides never showed up anywhere else!
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2020 :  10:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think you're spot on about splitting cos of their age though that last tour with U2 does sound awful too.

I don't get the Trompe is the first solo album - at the time it was just the next Pixies album. The metal/rock angle was definitely a thing in a lot of UK articles. If anything, Theme from Narc was being put up as a 'look how much fun we had recording the album' anecdote.

Narc was awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2952 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2020 :  12:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

Think you're spot on about splitting cos of their age though that last tour with U2 does sound awful too.

I don't get the Trompe is the first solo album - at the time it was just the next Pixies album. The metal/rock angle was definitely a thing in a lot of UK articles. If anything, Theme from Narc was being put up as a 'look how much fun we had recording the album' anecdote.

Narc was awesome.

While I think there is more Kim on Trompe than we first realized almost 30 years ago, I think the thinking is it’s closer on the needle to FB and TOTY than CoP and SR
Go to Top of Page

stuczuba
= Cult of Ray =

471 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2020 :  01:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, you can count me amongst the those never noticed the tablas until they were pointed out but I've always thought it was a logical progression from Bossa - there's nothing stylistically out of place whilst FB and TOTY are sonically very different to my ears even if some of the lyrical themes continue.

There's stuff on both those initial solo albums that wouldn't fit the Pixies mould. It wasn't like the more recent 'no Kim' nonsense, it was very much 'this is a very different, less extreme thing' and there was an awful lot of 'this isn't as good as Pixies' at the time, especially after that Reading show which was the first major solo gig I can remember. I loved that gig but do remember people muttering about it afterwards. That didn't happen when Trompe came out, it was more like 'Oh good, more Pixies'. Even leaving aside Kim's input, there's tons of Dave and Joey business all over the album that is 100% pure Pixies.

Trompe being the first solo album idea seems to be a much more recent conceit, very hindsight-driven and specific to this parish ;)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000