Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Not worth a topic, but at least postable...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  13:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Well Charles is the king and she is just the chick on bass with the sweet voice. Just because she doesn't want to be a millionaire shouldn't mean that millions of Pixies fans are deprived of a fifth album. I reckon they should get Kim Gordon in as her replacement now that Sonic Youth have split, or Violet on the Bass and Get Timbaland in to do some fancy sampling with Kim's voice, make it sound real like.

She's already a millionaire. Kim made a lot of money off Last Splash (it went platinum) and from touring Last Splash. She owns property on Nantucket Island that's worth at least a million dollars. Kim's House On Nantucket When the Pixies got back together in 2004, Kim had more money than the other 3 put together. She won't do it(new Pixies) unless Charles agrees to an equal partnership, and he'll never agree to that. He can't replace her either, since Dave and Joe are not likely to go along...not unless one of them is in need of a kidney transplant.

Edited by - Fissile on 03/11/2012 13:48:49
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  15:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the equal partnership to do with songwriting as well as business?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  16:21:36  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Well Charles is the king and she is just the chick on bass with the sweet voice. Just because she doesn't want to be a millionaire shouldn't mean that millions of Pixies fans are deprived of a fifth album. I reckon they should get Kim Gordon in as her replacement now that Sonic Youth have split, or Violet on the Bass and Get Timbaland in to do some fancy sampling with Kim's voice, make it sound real like.

She's already a millionaire. Kim made a lot of money off Last Splash (it went platinum) and from touring Last Splash. She owns property on Nantucket Island that's worth at least a million dollars. Kim's House On Nantucket When the Pixies got back together in 2004, Kim had more money than the other 3 put together. She won't do it(new Pixies) unless Charles agrees to an equal partnership, and he'll never agree to that. He can't replace her either, since Dave and Joe are not likely to go along...not unless one of them is in need of a kidney transplant.

What does equal partnership mean in this context? I'm pretty sure charles would be prepared to share the song writing with them all why wouldn't he? I think it's just that they don't think they have(?) or can come up with anything that is as good before + I don't think charles can sing/scream like he used to. Whatever they might hypothetically do it would suffer from some element of lameness, but if it was at least quite good i think the fans would forgive them,,, and then hopefully stop asking. maybe they want people to keep wanting a new album? If they released a shite album then they would have to play some of it on tour and then maybe no-one would want to see them live?

they are a a real enigma and whatever they decide to do, they will still be one of one the greatest bands of all time IMO

I'm still hopeful for a Bossanova/Trompe le Monde tour....x

whatever Kim does or is doing I still love her, as I do all the four.

Edited by - pot on 03/11/2012 16:36:11
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  16:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot
What does equal partnership mean in this context? I'm pretty sure charles would be prepared to share the song writing with them all why wouldn't he? I think it's just that they don't think they have(?) or can come up with anything that is as good before + I don't think charles can sing/scream like he used to. Whatever they might hypothetically do it would suffer from some element of lameness, but if it was at least quite good i think the fans would forgive them,,, and then hopefully stop asking. maybe they want people to keep wanting a new album? If they released a shite album then they would have to play some of it on tour and then maybe no-one would want to see them live?

they are a a real enigma and whatever they decide to do, they will still be one of one the greatest bands of all time IMO

I'm assuming she wants writing credits as well as an equitable distribution of the money. During the first go around, Thompson owned the name as well as the publishing. He got the lion's share of the money while the other three were paid more like employees. I think that was the sore point right from the start.

They may also be reluctant to do damage to their legacy. I can't discount that.

Funny thing, while Kim always wanted to be treated like an equal partner in the Pixies, she refused any such notions with her solo stuff. As regards the Breeders, the band dynamic between the members was very much like the Pixies, with Kim assuming Thompson's role and her sister taking on the role of goofy crowd favorite. She also didn't seem to endear herself with any of her post-Pixies band mates.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  16:58:55  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

I'm assuming she wants writing credits as well as an equitable distribution of the money. During the first go around, Thompson owned the name as well as the publishing. He got the lion's share of the money while the other three were paid more like employees. I think that was the sore point right from the start.

They may also be reluctant to do damage to their legacy. I can't discount that.

Funny thing, while Kim always wanted to be treated like an equal partner in the Pixies, she refused any such notions with her solo stuff. As regards the Breeders, the band dynamic between the members was very much like the Pixies, with Kim assuming Thompson's role and her sister taking on the role of goofy crowd favorite. She also didn't seem to endear herself with any of her post-Pixies band mates.

When I saw them in 2004 in Brixton I felt she couldn't be arsed, but at the glasgow gig in 2009 she was really fun, talking lots to the crowd, she even gave me a special mention- 'you all smoked all the pot...'

From the loud Quiet loud documentary though, I felt she was being a bit hasrh banning alcohol while on tour, I reckon that's why Dave got hooked on vallies

However you look at it's great they are al still alive and doing something, they are well up there in the greatest band of all time top three IMO and will be remember for many years. Whatever their reasons are for not making a new album doesn't matter, at the end of the day it's they who have to write and record it and you can't blame anyone in particular for it not happening

Edited by - pot on 03/11/2012 17:01:04
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  17:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot
When I saw them in 2004 in Brixton I felt she couldn't be arsed, but at the glasgow gig in 2009 she was really fun, talking lots to the crowd, she even gave me a special mention- 'you all smoked all the pot...'

From the loud Quiet loud documentary though, I felt she was being a bit hasrh banning alcohol while on tour, I reckon that's why Dave got hooked on vallies

However you look at it's great they are al still alive and doing something, they are well up there in the greatest band of all time top three IMO and will be remember for many years. Whatever their reasons are for not making a new album doesn't matter, at the end of the day it's they who have to write and record it and you can't blame anyone in particular for it not happening

Did you ever see the "Real Deal" documentary that was done by Dutch TV? It was a year or two before the Pixies reunion of 2004. Some people think it's funny, but I found it quite shocking. Kim looked half dead, she was very seriously f***ed-up from the drugs/drink. Had her family not forced her into rehab, she'd probably be dead now. She rejoined the Pixies straight out of rehab. She was still very shaky from the experience, as are most freshly dried out addicts.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  18:44:27  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Did you ever see the "Real Deal" documentary that was done by Dutch TV? It was a year or two before the Pixies reunion of 2004. Some people think it's funny, but I found it quite shocking. Kim looked half dead, she was very seriously f***ed-up from the drugs/drink. Had her family not forced her into rehab, she'd probably be dead now. She rejoined the Pixies straight out of rehab. She was still very shaky from the experience, as are most freshly dried out addicts.

Didn't see that and had no idea about that. nice that she could affords rehab though. If I had millions I would spend it on a nice life somewhere in the sun with weed a plenty and you can be rest assured I would get fucked up.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  19:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot
Didn't see that and had no idea about that. nice that she could affords rehab though. If I had millions I would spend it on a nice life somewhere in the sun with weed a plenty and you can be rest assured I would get fucked up.

You can watch the entire thing on Youtube. Real Deal Documentary
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2012 :  04:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, twenty-odd non-me posts in a row?!!

quote:
She's already a millionaire. Kim made a lot of money off Last Splash (it went platinum) and from touring Last Splash. She owns property on Nantucket Island that's worth at least a million dollars. Kim's House On Nantucket When the Pixies got back together in 2004, Kim had more money than the other 3 put together.

Really?! Interesting stuff.

Oh, and er, here's another postable item!

The Guardian - 4AD records - a label that's still made with love.

Edited by - Carl on 03/17/2012 05:00:02
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  09:47:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Wow, twenty-odd non-me posts in a row?!!

quote:
She's already a millionaire. Kim made a lot of money off Last Splash (it went platinum) and from touring Last Splash. She owns property on Nantucket Island that's worth at least a million dollars. Kim's House On Nantucket When the Pixies got back together in 2004, Kim had more money than the other 3 put together.

Really?! Interesting stuff.

Oh, and er, here's another postable item!

The Guardian - 4AD records - a label that's still made with love.

Really. She bought the Nantucket house in 1995, right after Last Splash took off. She paid $297,000 for the property, it was new construction. I'm guessing that it's currently valued at, or near, $1 million. Nantucket is an island resort off Cape Cod, Massachusetts favored by wealthy people. Nantucket has the highest average property values of any place in Massachusetts. Kim also owns a home in Ohio, and I believe she owns an apartment in Los Angles.

Dave and Joe both own homes in Los Angles.

Charles recently bought a house in Northampton, Massachusetts after living in the state of Oregon for the 6-7 years. He paid $799,000 for the Northampton house.

Edited by - Fissile on 03/18/2012 09:51:33
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  12:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting discussion, but perhaps we should steer away from personal finances etc.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  12:33:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Interesting discussion, but perhaps we should steer away from personal finances etc.

In the US, sales prices of homes are a matter of public record.
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  14:51:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

When I saw them in 2004 in Brixton I felt she couldn't be arsed

That's interesting. I saw them two nights in a row at Brixton in 2004 (I think it was possibly the first- or middle-two of the four nights) and Kim was really on form and enjoying it. One night there was even a weirdly spontaneous and overwhelming Bill and Ted-style we're-not-worthy-style bowing from the whole crowd and she seemed totally thrilled by it all.
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  14:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Charles recently bought a house in Northampton, Massachusetts after living in the state of Oregon for the 6-7 years. He paid $799,000 for the Northampton house.

Still... bit creepy to turn up and start highlighting this kind of detail on your fifth post.
Go to Top of Page

Fissile
= Cult of Ray =

518 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  15:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DruggedBunny

quote:

Still... bit creepy to turn up and start highlighting this kind of detail on your fifth post.

I can assure you that I have no intention of showing up at any of their private homes. I was replying to member Pot's post where he suggested that Kim refuses to do new material because she doesn't want to be a millionaire. I was just trying to prove that they are all currently millionaires, and Kim has been a millionaire for almost 20 years....long before the other three.

The only reason I posted the link to Kim's house on Nantucket is because it's not her primary residence, she only spends a few weeks out of the year at that house....the house having been bought as an investment....and rented out most of the time. I have no intention of posting the addresses of their private homes.

My point is that Kim's refusal to do new material is not about money. I'm guessing it's something else. There is an old saying about a woman scorned.

Edited by - Fissile on 03/18/2012 15:33:18
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  02:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave recently bought a rare deck of cards made out of solid gold, worth $15 billion.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  07:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank's inseam: 32 inches.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  04:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nashville Scene - Rock the Back of the House: Nashville Chefs Name Favorite Music To Cook To.

..."For service, we put together playlists that are intended to correspond with the pace of the room at the time, so generally we start off with some quieter stuff: Americana, Tom Waits, Vic Chesnutt, Will Oldham. And then we move into louder and faster stuff. The busier part of the night will get to Fugazi, The Minutemen, The Pixies, The Hold Steady, and such. Then we sort of wind back to mellower things like Andrew Bird and Tortoise," Habiger adds...

..."The bakers and a.m. sous are always listening to Buddy Holly and '50s and '60s doo-wop kind of stuff. We listen to that for about 20 more minutes, then it gets a lot more frantic," he says. Frantic in this case includes The Pixies, Sonic Youth, and The Clash during prep time, and more laid-back sounds from the likes of Supertramp, Cheap Trick and ELO during break down time...

So, with all this cross-creative love going on, who would our chefs most like to serve in their restaurant? Uhlhorn mentions The Pixies/Frank Black. Quick mentions Willie Nelson, Gillian Welch and Mozart ("Why not, right?") before saying he loves to cook for anybody. But most every restaurant in Nashville's seen at least a few celebrities, right?...

BBC Music Showcase - Just Added - Pixies - Archive Session (1988).

Boston.com.

Somerville (Curtatone) rides radio airwaves over Melrose (Dolan)

Posted by Matt Byrne March 22, 2012 10:20 AM

Somerville Mayor Joseph A. Curtatone has done it again.

Curtatone this morning bested Melrose Mayor Robert A. Dolan in the WFNX weekly contest, "My Song is Better Than Your Song," retaining his title with a song by U2.

The bout was a rematch for the civic leaders, who both counted seven previous wins in the musical showdown.

"The gloves are coming off and they're going bare-fisted today," said a WFNX host before the throw down.

Dolan's tune was up first, "U Mass," by The Pixies.

"Somerville, which is by far my favorite part of Cambridge," Dolan said. "It's where Peter Pan lived before he grew up and moved to Melrose."

Curtatone, who rarely shies from a contest for municipal pride, took his share of jabs at his city's suburban neighbor.

"Allow me to recite all the exciting things going on in Melrose," Curtatone said.

Beat.

"Thank you very much."

Curtatone bragged that his selected artist, U2, played a show in Somerville.

Votes cast by phone, text, and Facebook landed in Curtatone's favor, his eighth win and retention of his title. Next week the contest turns to the citizenry at large, who will attempt to unseat him.

"I can't even tell you the emotion I'm going through, knowing I will come back to win again," Curtatone said.

YouTube - U2 - Vertigo.

Youtube - The Pixies - U mass.

Edited by - Carl on 03/23/2012 01:57:20
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  08:47:32  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are the lifeblood of this site, Carl!
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  03:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heh... thanks!

This is interesting...

Boston Phoenix - On The Download.

March 21, 2012

T.T. The Bear's Place finds a goldmine of rock merchandise in attic, puts it on eBay

By Michael Marotta

T.T. THE BEAR'S PLACE has found a rock and roll goldmine… in its very own attic.

The Central Square rock club has unearthed a ton of vintage old band merchandise from over the years, some of it dating back to the 1970s but mainly from the ‘80s and ‘90s. And the club is putting them all up for individual auction through eBay (seller ID: jjckmgt1212) to help recent tornado victims in the midwest.

Phoenix New Times - Take Cover: Born Loser and The Hangers On Cover The Pixies.

Edited by - Carl on 03/27/2012 09:27:37
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  09:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
""[We decided] we'll just do whatever 'Where is my Mind?' is off of and it was that album [Doolittle], and it turned out to be the best album, ever," said guitarist Benny Miller."

Jesus wept. Don't think I'll bother checking out the cover.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  00:56:50  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
haha. at least he mention "best album ever" and "pixies" in the same sentence.

You can put your guitar down now, Billy.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  03:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Victoria Advocate - A lousy decade punctuated with greatness.

The Pixies: "Gigantic" (Aug. 22, 1988)

The Pixies were alternative before alternative became popular. "Gigantic" is a rare Pixies song in that bass player Kim Deal sings lead (which she would later do full time with the Breeders).

Written by Deal and usual lead singer Frank Black, "Gigantic" features, like all Pixies songs, an eclectic but hypnotic tune burnished with edgy and dark lyrics, made more disturbing by Deal's sweet voice.

YouTube - Pixies - Gigantic.

Death and Taxes - The Dust Bin: Pixies on '120 Minutes'.

The Guardian - Readers recommend: songs about speed – results.

...Perhaps it's those long, open roads, but could southern boogie be the perfect genre for accompanying ill-advisedly excessive motor speeds? Anyway, if it's the thumbs-in-the-belt-loops treatment you want, look no further than Molly Hatchett. Though no rock fan can say they haven't been warned about the dangers of driving too fast; the death crash is a recurring theme. Having said that, nothing prepared me for the experience of seeing the Pixies for the first time, and the stand-out song was Nimrod's Son, Black Francis's gothic horror about a motorcycle smash: "You are the son of a …"

TwinCities.com - Celebrity birthdays for April 6.

Country singer Merle Haggard is 75. Actor Billy Dee Williams is 75. Actor Roy Thinnes is 74. Actor John Ratzenberger ("Cheers") is 65. Actress Marilu Henner is 60. Singer-guitarist Frank Black of the Pixies is 47. Actor Paul Rudd is 43. Actor Jason Hervey ("The Wonder Years") is 40. Bassist Markku Lappalainen (Hoobastank) is 39. Actor Zach Braff ("Scrubs") is 37. Actress Candace Cameron Bure ("Full House") is 36.

- Associated Press

New London, CT Patch - Daily Five: Freeze Ray!

5. It’s the 47th birthday of Black Francis, aka Frank Black, a musician with The Pixies. Black embarked on a solo career following the band’s breakup in 1993, and continues to do some independent shows even after The Pixies got back together in 2004.

Edited by - Carl on 04/06/2012 03:39:08
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  05:19:49  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Less than one second of Pixies parody at the end of this pretty clever short - I won't assume it was recorded by "Weird" Al, but he's there nonetheless:
http://5secondfilms.com/watch/weird-owl-2

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  06:41:25  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Weird Al does the Pixies, joy in music.
Go to Top of Page

onyone
- FB Fan -

Yugoslavia
96 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  08:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

Weird Al does the Pixies, joy in music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXgxv9X19z0
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  08:11:55  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not whorth a topic but it's been bugging me for years, I don't understand what Kim is saying :
What is very popular after the first song ?

http://www.mediafire.com/?s0ruou5j411qz4h
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  08:46:59  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A monitor man?
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  10:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Our monitor man", ie. the sound guy.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  04:50:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sussex Countian - We Are The Weapons to debut at Mojo Main.

Q What are some of the songs you’re going to play at Mojo Main?

A We’re going to play “Where Is My Mind” by the Pixies. That’s like my favorite song. I go crazy, jumping all over the stage. That’s the only cover we play. We’re also going to play a song called “Less Than Three,” which is a love song; if you look at your keyboard you’ll know what that means when you send someone a heart. You can send someone a heart by pressing shift, [the less than sign] and three. It’s a love song and it’s really alternative. It’s not too loud or anything, but it’s got huge drum fills at the end and solos. The song we have on our Facebook page is called “As the Night Goes On,” and it’s about not wanting to go to sleep because you’re too busy doing something that you want to be doing and not wanting to be getting sleep to be going to school in the morning.

School of Rock Music Blog - COVER CORNER - April 6, 2012.

Posted by Blaise Dahl on Fri, Apr 06, 2012 @ 08:18 PM

HERE'S YOUR CLUE FROM OUR FACEBOOK PAGE: To continue our celebration of BLACK FRANCIS’ birthday, this weekend’s Cover Corner is done none other than by his influential alt-rock band PIXIES. This particular cover appears on a tribute album to a legendary artist recognized for his frequently cynical lyrics. Its concept is based upon seeing the entire world and ultimately ending up not really impressed with it. Can you guess the song's title and original artist? Find out the answer after the jump!

ROCK TRIVIA BATTLE - PIXIES

Posted by Michael Pallen on Fri, Apr 06, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

In honor of Black Francis' birthday today, we will be doing a Pixies Trivia Battle. Here are 5 questions about the Pixies. (answers below)

1. What is Black Francis' real name?

2. Where are the Pixies from?

3. On what album did the Pixies cover The Beatles' "Wild Honey Pie"?

4. Which of the Pixies' songs was in the movie "Fight Club"?

5. When did the Pixies play their first reunion show?

Quaker Oats rip off Pixies:

Vancouver Sun - “This commercial totally sounds like…” – Quaker vs. Pixies.

RITTER RECORDS - Whatever Happened To… Pixies?

Edited by - Carl on 04/10/2012 05:09:48
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  09:48:14  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DruggedBunny

"Our monitor man", ie. the sound guy.

Thanks !
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  11:41:44  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Black Francis is on Wikipedia's frontpage today !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  09:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Huffington Post - Green Songs: Tunes To Get You Pumped About Saving The Environment.

...Often associated with mid-20th century folk music and some of its later revivals, environmentally-themed topics have also been broached in genres not typically associated with green philosophies. Rock bands like the Talking Heads, The Pixies and even California punk bands Bad Religion and the Dead Kennedys have raised environmental awareness through their music...

Rolling Stone - Tune-Yards Compose Live Score for Buster Keaton Short Films.

...When Tune-Yards takes the stage with Mendoza later this month, it will become one of several bands that have imbued classic films with a modern sound as part of SFIFF's festivities. Previous acts include Deerhoof, who performed a soundtrack for Harry Smith's 1962 film Heaven and Earth Magic; Black Francis (a.k.a. Pixies frontman Frank Black), who scored The Golem, a 1920 film about a man-made beast in a Jewish ghetto; and Stephin Merritt, who re-imagined the music for the 1916 classic 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. This year, in addition to Tune-Yards, Yo La Tengo will perform alongside a documentary titled, The Love Song of R. Buckminster Fuller...

Edited by - Carl on 04/12/2012 10:03:56
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  03:06:54  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today in History…

1973 - Aladdin Sane (Album) from David Bowie was Released

1981 - "Kick In The Eye" from Bauhaus was Released

1983 - Murmur (Debut Album) from R.E.M. was Released

1984 - Suburbia (Movie) from was Movie Premiere

1990 - 39/Smooth (Debut Album) from Green Day was Released

1999 - Blue Skies, Broken Hearts...Next 12 Exits (Album) from The Ataris was Released

2004 - Fine Line Music Cafe/Minneapolis, MN from The Pixies was 1st Reunion Gig

2010 - Virtues from Amber Pacific was Released

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  02:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is Nottingham - Taking beatbox to another level.

...Your cover of the Pixies' Where Is My Mind? has had more than 1.8 million hits on YouTube. How did that happen?

I recorded my version of it at the start of last year not really thinking too much about it. Simon Ellis filmed it in his kitchen and I uploaded it thinking it might get a few views. I saw it as a one-off but then it went mega-viral and amassed half a million views in two weeks. A few famous people started posting about it, but the best thing that happened really was when the Pixies themselves posted in on Facebook, Twitter and their own their website. The thought that they've not only seen it but endorsed it blew my mind. The Pixies and Nirvana were the reason I started creating music. The success of the video sparked the whole idea to make a live, studio, video album...

The Current from Minnesota Public Radio - Today in Music History: The Pixies Reunite, Play The Fine Line.

CityBeat - This Date in Music History: April 13.

The Pixies never-ending reunion begins and Obama v. Romney: The Sing-Off, revisited

The Pixies in 2004 (Photo: FlickreviewR)

On this day in 2004, Frank Black, Kim Deal, Joey Santiago and David Lovering put their differences aside to honor their legacy and make a shit-ton of cash, reuniting for a Pixies reunion tour that recently completed its seventh year. The first show back was at Minneapolis' Fine Line Cafe, where they opened with "Bone Machine," the first song on the group's first full-length, Surfer Rosa. The band has mixed things up on their global tour by performing albums in full and, uh, mixing up the setlist (maybe?), but one thing they haven't done is record more than a smidgen of new music. On the other hand, it seems only fair that the group members reap some rewards from their influential work. It would just be interesting to hear what the four of them could come up with if they attempted a new album.

Here's "Bone Machine" performed live on a TV show in the Netherlands, "back in the day." Scrappy!

YouTube - Pixies - Bone Machine (live).

8tracks - 6,000+ mixes including “pixies”.

Consequence of Sound - Dusting ‘Em Off: The Wedding Present – Seamonsters.

...The following year, Gedge decided to re-record Bizarro’s opening track, “Brassneck”, with Steve Albini producing. The collaboration led to the Brassneck and 3 Songs EPs. When asked why Albini was his choice, Gedge said, “I heard Surfer Rosa by the Pixies, and that record just sounded so fantastic. I was interested in some of his [Albini’s] other stuff as well, but I think that was the first record where it was… a pop group as well as a rock band, and I thought it would actually work for us…”...

Edited by - Carl on 04/15/2012 03:24:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000