-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Song discussion: Catfish Kate
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1577 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2019 :  08:43:53  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aberdeen, WA wasn’t founded until 1888, only has 17,000 people. 4,000 in 1900, 22,000 in 1930.


Edited by - hammerhands on 08/21/2019 08:49:02
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2019 :  09:20:10  Show Profile  Click to see Brank_Flack's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Which Aberdeen is he singing about then, the one in America or the one in Scotland? I'll assume the US one. I'm sure there's lots of black eyeliner wearing gothy girls from both coastal towns, but I don't know much about the marine life.



I'd say the Scottish one. The one in Washington is where Kurt Cobain was from, I doubt he would intentionally plant a seed for another Nirvana reference.

Plus he's mentioned Ullapool in a song before (if that counts) and those selkies can be found north of Aberdeen.

Though 'Mutant Seagull Kate' might be more apt, size of those things there is unreal.



Where does he mention Ullapool?
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

2420 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2019 :  09:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Which Aberdeen is he singing about then, the one in America or the one in Scotland? I'll assume the US one. I'm sure there's lots of black eyeliner wearing gothy girls from both coastal towns, but I don't know much about the marine life.



I'd say the Scottish one. The one in Washington is where Kurt Cobain was from, I doubt he would intentionally plant a seed for another Nirvana reference.

Plus he's mentioned Ullapool in a song before (if that counts) and those selkies can be found north of Aberdeen.

Though 'Mutant Seagull Kate' might be more apt, size of those things there is unreal.



Where does he mention Ullapool?



Think fast
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
399 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2019 :  10:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from the recent Mojo article...

The new Pixies album has a shiny surface, but ghosts and arcane entities lurk within; the half-human half-seal “selkie bride”, and “Black Jack Hooligan”, who “came all the way from Aberdeen to live among the go-betweens”.

Those were stories that I heard when I was a kid from my father. I’m sure he made up a lot on the spot. Black Jack Hooligan, as in Black Jack Davey - I guess that betrays the pedigree of that. I told my own kids the same stories.

So your family has Scottish ancestry?


Supposedly, although the more my brother and I have looked into it, the more Irish we find.
So I think they talked up the Scottish bits because maybe the Irish were not so well accepted at a certain point. Early part of the 20th century in the United States, it was considered low class to be Irish.

The Scots and the Irish have a fairly entangled history.

My family’s history is fairly entangled as well. But supposedly there’s a bunch of them who came from Aberdeen, stone cutters. In fact, I’m going to visit an island off the coast of Maine, called Vinalhaven, there’s a big quarry there and that’s where supposedly Nellie Black from Aberdeen settled. And Black Francis - that’s where I got my name from, that part of the family.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2019 :  19:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Active Duck

from the recent Mojo article...

The new Pixies album has a shiny surface, but ghosts and arcane entities lurk within; the half-human half-seal “selkie bride”, and “Black Jack Hooligan”, who “came all the way from Aberdeen to live among the go-betweens”.

Those were stories that I heard when I was a kid from my father. I’m sure he made up a lot on the spot. Black Jack Hooligan, as in Black Jack Davey - I guess that betrays the pedigree of that. I told my own kids the same stories.

So your family has Scottish ancestry?


Supposedly, although the more my brother and I have looked into it, the more Irish we find.
So I think they talked up the Scottish bits because maybe the Irish were not so well accepted at a certain point. Early part of the 20th century in the United States, it was considered low class to be Irish.

The Scots and the Irish have a fairly entangled history.

My family’s history is fairly entangled as well. But supposedly there’s a bunch of them who came from Aberdeen, stone cutters. In fact, I’m going to visit an island off the coast of Maine, called Vinalhaven, there’s a big quarry there and that’s where supposedly Nellie Black from Aberdeen settled. And Black Francis - that’s where I got my name from, that part of the family.




Thanks for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5361 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2019 :  22:59:55  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The breakdown of Catefish Kate is very cool
Also in the last podcast you hear Joey play some great stuff on CK

Makes me wish the final mix was a bit more rough and raw
Like the intro of the podcast, Frank strumming the CK chords

They went for a more sleepy, under the blankets, mix
I can appreciate that on other days

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

879 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2019 :  03:33:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Active Duck

from the recent Mojo article...

The new Pixies album has a shiny surface, but ghosts and arcane entities lurk within; the half-human half-seal “selkie bride”, and “Black Jack Hooligan”, who “came all the way from Aberdeen to live among the go-betweens”.

Those were stories that I heard when I was a kid from my father. I’m sure he made up a lot on the spot. Black Jack Hooligan, as in Black Jack Davey - I guess that betrays the pedigree of that. I told my own kids the same stories.

So your family has Scottish ancestry?


Supposedly, although the more my brother and I have looked into it, the more Irish we find.
So I think they talked up the Scottish bits because maybe the Irish were not so well accepted at a certain point. Early part of the 20th century in the United States, it was considered low class to be Irish.

The Scots and the Irish have a fairly entangled history.

My family’s history is fairly entangled as well. But supposedly there’s a bunch of them who came from Aberdeen, stone cutters. In fact, I’m going to visit an island off the coast of Maine, called Vinalhaven, there’s a big quarry there and that’s where supposedly Nellie Black from Aberdeen settled. And Black Francis - that’s where I got my name from, that part of the family.




Nice. There was another Black Francis who lived in Donegal who was a raider man.

https://imgur.com/a/8kGLLxS
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2019 :  02:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have Frances Black as well! According to Google 'She came to prominence in the late 1980s when she began to play with her family's band, The Black Family'

Almost mirrors BF! The Black Family' sounds like a cool band name, though if the Pixies were to go by another name these days I'm sure it would be something to do with snakes.

Anyway, was listening to Catfish the other day and reminded me a little of Lonesome Fetter in a couple of places. Forgot what a cool wee tune that is.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

879 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2019 :  11:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few elderly people were expecting Frances Black when BF had booked Vicar Street many years ago (the day of the great precore)
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3279 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2019 :  08:50:40  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Which Aberdeen is he singing about then, the one in America or the one in Scotland? I'll assume the US one. I'm sure there's lots of black eyeliner wearing gothy girls from both coastal towns, but I don't know much about the marine life.



I'd say the Scottish one. The one in Washington is where Kurt Cobain was from, I doubt he would intentionally plant a seed for another Nirvana reference.

Plus he's mentioned Ullapool in a song before (if that counts) and those selkies can be found north of Aberdeen.

Though 'Mutant Seagull Kate' might be more apt, size of those things there is unreal.



Kurt Cobain is from Aberdeen (US version) I didn't know I just assumed he was from Seattle.

Whatever this song is about it's becoming increasingly evident that he has a penchant for gothy girls. (nothing wrong with that)

Edited by - pot on 08/30/2019 08:52:24
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2891 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  00:46:55  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL_kQ9DZZIE Live on The Late Show.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

2420 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  03:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL_kQ9DZZIE Live on The Late Show.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE



I LOVED this!

Frank looks great, and the band has a fun vibe. Man that was great.

The comments on YouTube are hilarious.

Having said all this, I cannot imagine a single solitary human being on earth watching this and saying, "Dang, I need to become a Pixies fan right now."
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

2420 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  03:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, I need to hear picpic and everyone else let me know if C&P were in harmony, and if Joey's guitar was in tune.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5361 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  03:44:36  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Someone and something was slightly off key
I think Frank's guitar

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  03:58:59  Show Profile  Click to see Brank_Flack's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good performance! I really like Frank's new look, the hair and shirt look great.
Go to Top of Page

rivum
- FB Fan -

Canada
223 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  03:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha some of my favorite comments on the youtube video:
"Good to see old people inspired enough to start a band. I bet these guys will go places."
"geezers: i get it. great music- but its wierd to see an elderly man singing youth crocus spring awakening."
"So Frank Black has evolved into my girlfriend's dad. Is this even his final form?"
"Everyone’s math teacher"

lol
Go to Top of Page

rivum
- FB Fan -

Canada
223 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  04:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
incidentally, I thought the guitars sounded fine - Paz always sounds a bit flat to me and she did here too.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
764 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  04:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hilarious looks
Charles is excellent at strumming and has found the right voice for this song (probably thanks to Dalgety)
Paz sounds too sugary-sweet (solid bass as always)
Joey too low in the mix, Dave too


More importantly, I agree with this comment : "I feel there's a really good song in there struggling to get out. I like it, but it's not quite ... something."

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5361 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  05:03:49  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rivum

incidentally, I thought the guitars sounded fine - Paz always sounds a bit flat to me and she did here too.




She was in some places, yes.

Joey hit some wrong notes too.

Nothing new...

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2256 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  05:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really nice performance!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

2420 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  05:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hoping the song will grow on me as many of his have.

I think his hair looks legit. Good for him.

If only he was my math teacher

Edited by - Bedbug on 09/05/2019 05:39:03
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  08:54:01  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Having said all this, I cannot imagine a single solitary human being on earth watching this and saying, "Dang, I need to become a Pixies fan right now."



This is what a friend of mine wrote in the Facebook fan page today:

My mom is a huge Colbert fan, so she got to hear her first Pixies since I booted her from the apartment in the early 90's. She "loved" their performance. So obviously, I am looking for a new band to obsess over. Any suggestions?

So they seem to be winning over moms with this performance!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
* Dog in the Sand *

2420 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  09:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see it now, Pixies 2.0 will become the sensation of the 2020s, Elvis or Barry Manilow level or something. BTE in the background while you get your cavities drilled. Baby boomers will say, "where have these guys been all my life."
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
764 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  10:20:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Active Duck

from the recent Mojo article...

The new Pixies album has a shiny surface, but ghosts and arcane entities lurk within; the half-human half-seal “selkie bride”, and “Black Jack Hooligan”, who “came all the way from Aberdeen to live among the go-betweens”.

Those were stories that I heard when I was a kid from my father. I’m sure he made up a lot on the spot. Black Jack Hooligan, as in Black Jack Davey - I guess that betrays the pedigree of that. I told my own kids the same stories.

So your family has Scottish ancestry?


Supposedly, although the more my brother and I have looked into it, the more Irish we find.
So I think they talked up the Scottish bits because maybe the Irish were not so well accepted at a certain point. Early part of the 20th century in the United States, it was considered low class to be Irish.

The Scots and the Irish have a fairly entangled history.

My family’s history is fairly entangled as well. But supposedly there’s a bunch of them who came from Aberdeen, stone cutters. In fact, I’m going to visit an island off the coast of Maine, called Vinalhaven, there’s a big quarry there and that’s where supposedly Nellie Black from Aberdeen settled. And Black Francis - that’s where I got my name from, that part of the family.




From the presser :

“This is a story from my childhood that I inherited from my father,” Charles says of the album’s breezy, infectious track. “I told the same story to my kids when they were younger. Kate’s up there in the mountains of South Dakota or wherever in the 1800s, she’s living in the world of Native Americans and fur traders and soldiers and wanderers. She falls into the river one day, she’s taken into the river by a giant catfish, she wrestles with the catfish. There’s a gothic feel to that, this woman battling with a monster-sized catfish, emerging from the water wearing the skin of the catfish as her new robe with the blood dripping – ‘I am alive, I battled all night long with the catfish, and I won, I ripped him open.’ She’s victorious.”

So it seems the story, though inspired by Scottish lore, takes place in the US

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  17:06:47  Show Profile  Click to see Brank_Flack's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I imagine the point of the performance is simply to draw the attention of Pixies/ classic alt/indie fans to the fact that they have new music coming out, and to intrigue lukewarm fans to give the new album a listen.

Reading the comments, I feel a bit sorry for them if they have to come across a lot of casual ageism. Hopefully it's something they have a sense of humour about it, but it's one of the last socially acceptable forms of discrimination. I'm not meaning to make a big deal about it, but I hope I'm not defined by my age as I get older (this may just be the narcissism of approaching 30...)
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5361 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  20:39:09  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I imagine the point of the performance is simply to draw the attention of Pixies/ classic alt/indie fans to the fact that they have new music coming out, and to intrigue lukewarm fans to give the new album a listen.

Reading the comments, I feel a bit sorry for them if they have to come across a lot of casual ageism. Hopefully it's something they have a sense of humour about it, but it's one of the last socially acceptable forms of discrimination. I'm not meaning to make a big deal about it, but I hope I'm not defined by my age as I get older (this may just be the narcissism of approaching 30...)



Food for thought

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1010 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2019 :  02:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I imagine the point of the performance is simply to draw the attention of Pixies/ classic alt/indie fans to the fact that they have new music coming out, and to intrigue lukewarm fans to give the new album a listen.

Reading the comments, I feel a bit sorry for them if they have to come across a lot of casual ageism. Hopefully it's something they have a sense of humour about it, but it's one of the last socially acceptable forms of discrimination. I'm not meaning to make a big deal about it, but I hope I'm not defined by my age as I get older (this may just be the narcissism of approaching 30...)



Agree with your point but 'people who commment on youtube videos' is kind of a self selecting set.

I expect a #NoKimNoDeal reprisal on Twitter when the album hype reaches a crescendo next week.
Go to Top of Page

Jason Bravo
- FB Fan -

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2019 :  14:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I imagine the point of the performance is simply to draw the attention of Pixies/ classic alt/indie fans to the fact that they have new music coming out, and to intrigue lukewarm fans to give the new album a listen.

Reading the comments, I feel a bit sorry for them if they have to come across a lot of casual ageism. Hopefully it's something they have a sense of humour about it, but it's one of the last socially acceptable forms of discrimination. I'm not meaning to make a big deal about it, but I hope I'm not defined by my age as I get older (this may just be the narcissism of approaching 30...)



Agree with your point but 'people who commment on youtube videos' is kind of a self selecting set.

I expect a #NoKimNoDeal reprisal on Twitter when the album hype reaches a crescendo next week.



Who is Kim Deal? Where is Kim Deal? Yes they put out a record a year ago and a little tour, but seriously I think that she has fallen into a bottomless pit at this point. Trolls and the like are the only one's even giving her any point of reference these days. She's an overweight women approaching 60 years old. She is not ambitious, and that's ok, just living her life in shitty ass Dayton, Ohio reeling in some royalties from years past. I don't really fault her for that, I might do the same thing if in the same position. The point is, she is not the Pixies, they have changed and transformed, which she was obviously unwilling to do. It is ok that they are not as hardcore or whatever that they used to be, and the legacy thing is so overrated. Forget about all that BS. Bottom line is that Pixies pull crowds to this day with Paz, and the music is great rock music. It still sounds like the Pixies to me, not like anything else out there at this time.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5361 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2019 :  20:13:53  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No need to trash Kim, cause people like her more than Pixies 2.0
We know that FBF is a hero

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  14:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad (72) loves Beneath the Eyrie. But he's no new convert -- I turned him on to Frank years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

quote:
Having said all this, I cannot imagine a single solitary human being on earth watching this and saying, "Dang, I need to become a Pixies fan right now."



This is what a friend of mine wrote in the Facebook fan page today:

My mom is a huge Colbert fan, so she got to hear her first Pixies since I booted her from the apartment in the early 90's. She "loved" their performance. So obviously, I am looking for a new band to obsess over. Any suggestions?

So they seem to be winning over moms with this performance!




__________________________________________________

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  14:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is great. I wish I could hear breakdowns of all my favorite music.

quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=secyOakvqpU Dalgety talks about the song.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE




__________________________________________________

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
Go to Top of Page

rivum
- FB Fan -

Canada
223 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2019 :  05:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

This is great. I wish I could hear breakdowns of all my favorite music.

quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=secyOakvqpU Dalgety talks about the song.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE




__________________________________________________

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.



awesome!

Edited by - rivum on 10/11/2019 05:06:42
Go to Top of Page

Jason Bravo
- FB Fan -

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2019 :  16:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

No need to trash Kim, cause people like her more than Pixies 2.0
We know that FBF is a hero

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?



I don't understand what you mean by "trashing Kim". I did not do that, in fact, I backed her up a little bit if you really read what I am saying. Fact is that she is not, and never was, the engine that folks think she is or was. I remember an old college buddy of mine back in '91 or somewhere close to that, who was a huge Pixes fan said that they would be nothing without Black Francis. We all know that now in hindsight, but it was kind of prolific at that point in time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000