Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2019 :  00:55:12  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Looks like this is going to be the next single.
It's been used as the intro music for the podcast series and Apple Music (according to the Pixies facebook group) has it listed as a single.

So there you go! We've heard a lot of it already (both live and in the studio) and it's a lovely chorus. Classic Masher-quality. That's also a risk, because it's almost too sweet. Hope Joey will have some surprising lines, because I haven't heard any yet. Some nice classic work, but nothing remarkable.

The chords remind me of Jane The Queen of Love a bit.

I totally love the ending 'now she's known as Catefish Kate'. Very FBF, but still something I would not expect from a Pixies song.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?

Edited by - billgoodman on 07/26/2019 00:56:06

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2019 :  11:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqoc9TepEDQ

Yeah, this is indeed that song that opens the podcast. It's a little Frankenstein's monster for me, chorus and stanzas seem oddly paired, which is fine. I dig it, especially Joey's lament (Not to be confused with Gener's lament which is quite a different experience). I hope this sounds good on the album.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2019 :  11:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Very FBF, but still something I would not expect from a Pixies song.

There aint nothing wrong with that, it's like custom all the way.

It's the Holiday Song mixed with Custom All The Way mixed with Jane the Queen of Love. My kinda mix. But yeah, I hope they don't make the studio version a bit bland.

A lot of songs on IC, Head Carrier and now BTE continue to showcase Black's pop sensibilities. If he wrote more conventional lyrics (thank the lord he doesn't) then I think he'd be a lot richer than he is.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2019 :  02:43:26  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He's writing more pop and catchy stuff for sure. Indy Cindy is a great collection of tunes, I just don't think the arrangements and production is very suiting. What if they kept those songs shorter and played them faster?

And btw, it ís Holiday Song mixed with Custom All The Way mixed with Jane the Queen of Love!

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2019 :  05:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When is the single released?
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2019 :  11:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good question. Weren't there three singles released in advance of Head Carrier?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  07:03:49  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

When is the single released?

Next tuesday

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2019 :  01:10:27  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There are snippets of the animated video on Facebook

Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2019 :  17:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Song/video will be released to tomorrow (Tuesday) morning. Excited to hear the final version.
Go to Top of Page

rivum
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  06:46:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=DzMff4KMf88
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  08:05:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s great. Despite the production. Dreamy chorus sounding harsh.
BF ability to write catchy songs over and over is astonishing.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  08:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s great. Despite the production. Dreamy chorus sounding harsh.
BF ability to write catchy songs over and over is astonishing.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  09:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really enjoy the song, it's very much a popified Custom All The Way, a song I love (and feel is a tad underrated).

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  11:09:58  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is this where we talk about the video?

I'm never into when bands I like just get some people to make an animated video that the band is totally hands-off on. I loved that the Graveyard Hill video had all of them in it, I like when a band makes an effort and acts goofy in a music video. So I wasn't crazy about the video. I didn't like how it spelled out a lot of lyrics, the thing you should mostly never do in a music video.

The song is pretty great! It's so odd, for me this would be a solid Catholics song, but here we are with it as a Pixies single. What a strange time to be a Frank Black fan.

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  11:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Characters in the vid look a bit like some BF paintings ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  11:39:44  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This song is not exactly the direction I would like them to pursue
But it's so well crafted and I love the production
Poppy like Classic Masher

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  12:38:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really digging the full tune. The vocals and lyrics are better than Graveyard Hill which grated a bit for me.

Hear you Troubles a Foot on the Catholics thing, the bridge especially feels real Catholic. I don't have a problem with this. I like the way you can hear the acoustic guitar, much better than HC. I'd turn Joey's drone up a bit though..
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  13:47:42  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.nme.com/news/music/pixies-share-new-single-catfish-kate-along-with-its-surreal-animated-video-2535806

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  14:00:07  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.rawckus.com/pixies-drop-scrumptious-catfish-kate/ Good review!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  14:22:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“This is a story from my childhood that I inherited from my father,” Charles says of the album’s breezy, infectious track. “I told the same story to my kids when they were younger. Kate’s up there in the mountains of South Dakota or wherever in the 1800s, she’s living in the world of Native Americans and fur traders and soldiers and wanderers. She falls into the river one day, she’s taken into the river by a giant catfish, she wrestles with the catfish. There’s a gothic feel to that, this woman battling with a monster-sized catfish, emerging from the water wearing the skin of the catfish as her new robe with the blood dripping – ‘I am alive, I battled all night long with the catfish, and I won, I ripped him open.’ She’s victorious.”
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  20:23:47  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting! Haven't been paying attention to the story. I just told my son this story
After he complained about having this melody stuck in his head

Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2962 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  03:10:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the song. Doesn't really remind me of what it reminds you guys of (certainly not Custom All the Way, which I love). Just a good new Frank Black song which is all you could ask for in 2019.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  06:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now starting to hear some little extras, like how the bass line inverts on Bar 3 of each 2nd verse. Paz is quality!

Edited by - Sprite on 08/07/2019 06:54:13
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  06:45:58  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Now starting to hear some little extras, like how bass line inverts on Bar 3 of each 2nd verse. Paz is quality!

Totally! This is gonna be her record

Go to Top of Page

SmurfyX
- FB Fan -

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  19:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Now starting to hear some little extras, like how bass line inverts on Bar 3 of each 2nd verse. Paz is quality!

Totally! This is gonna be her record

Everything I've heard from her on the podcast makes me think they've really hit a creative strive together. Charles and her make a really good team and they have a healthy, positive dynamic.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  21:15:45  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
New episode is all about Paz and also points in that direction.
They are a team

Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  22:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For some strange reason I really dig the rather anti-climatic Catfish Kate bridge (the "whiskers for her catfish robe" part)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  02:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a lovely song. Some nice touches in the production.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  04:04:00  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

For some strange reason I really dig the rather anti-climatic Catfish Kate bridge (the "whiskers for her catfish robe" part)

___
"Service Unavailable"

It sounds so familiar. It's instant classic Frank. And it's glorious, Kate won the battle!

Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  04:39:11  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has it been mentioned that the album cover "fungus" is Catfish Kate? I could be wrong.Thought that when I first saw the animated cover image was first released.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  06:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Paz vocals on this song.
I've always been skeptical about her vocals, but she's on point on CK's chorus.
And the live versions on Youtube are sounding "better" to my ear now that I "know" the song.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Jason Bravo
- FB Fan -

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  16:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bass lines so far are absolutely awesome. Seems like more concentration has gone back into that, you can actually hear the chords. This is where the Pixies shine...bass and drums, just like the Ramones. When those are clicking everything else is gravy.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  10:51:05  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Which Aberdeen is he singing about then, the one in America or the one in Scotland? I'll assume the US one. I'm sure there's lots of black eyeliner wearing gothy girls from both coastal towns, but I don't know much about the marine life.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2019 :  02:24:44  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=secyOakvqpU Dalgety talks about the song.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2019 :  03:00:08  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Love those break downs

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2019 :  04:32:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Which Aberdeen is he singing about then, the one in America or the one in Scotland? I'll assume the US one. I'm sure there's lots of black eyeliner wearing gothy girls from both coastal towns, but I don't know much about the marine life.

I'd say the Scottish one. The one in Washington is where Kurt Cobain was from, I doubt he would intentionally plant a seed for another Nirvana reference.

Plus he's mentioned Ullapool in a song before (if that counts) and those selkies can be found north of Aberdeen.

Though 'Mutant Seagull Kate' might be more apt, size of those things there is unreal.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000