Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2020 :  13:39:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I can tell the only thing about this song that people have yet to complain about is Paz' vocals.
Go to Top of Page

Ecto
- FB Fan -

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2020 :  15:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here Me Out is up for sale on iTunes as a single for anyone that’s interested. No sign of Mambo Sun.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2020 :  21:12:59  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

From what I can tell the only thing about this song that people have yet to complain about is Paz' vocals.

She has a pretty voice. I can't imagine finding much to complain about. But her lyrics just really underwhelm me. They don't feel in line with the spirit of the Pixies, whatever that may mean. They are frankly pretty boring. And boring is not something I've ever imagined Pixies lyrics would be.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2020 :  23:49:36  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My favourite Pixies lyrics are from "Stormy Weather" and "La La Love You"
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  07:29:40  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sure pot, but I'd argue those aren't boring.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  11:13:35  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
True. Less is more.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
815 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  12:02:10  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah. There's a difference between oblique minimalism, and just plain bland lyrics.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  12:36:39  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I knew that. Just testing your loyalty to the Pixies 1.0 legacy.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  13:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like the music and Paz's singing, but I agree that the lyrics are bland.
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2020 :  11:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it. Best things about it are Joey (if he wasn't playing on it I wouldn't know for sure it was them) and the way the melody drops down in the chorus.

Looking at the comments on YouTube it was nice to see (when I looked anyway) the complete absence of 'no Kim no deal' type comments.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  04:29:25  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I knew that. Just testing your loyalty to the Pixies 1.0 legacy.

Very funny! Love it.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  04:31:03  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OLDMANOTY

I like it. Best things about it are Joey (if he wasn't playing on it I wouldn't know for sure it was them) and the way the melody drops down in the chorus.

Looking at the comments on YouTube it was nice to see (when I looked anyway) the complete absence of 'no Kim no deal' type comments.

I think Paz finally did it. She shushed the people who were living in the past.

Her vocal is great, love the melody, love Joeys work on it. Lyrics are not that good.

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  05:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I noticed that as well, very positive overall although were a few. When I see them a little voice in head goes 'No Kim no big Deal'. I would never post that though, I would not want to be mean to Kim.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  06:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:

I noticed that as well, very positive overall although were a few. When I see them a little voice in head goes 'No Kim no big Deal'. I would never post that though, I would not want to be mean to Kim.

That's funny that you guys are talking about this, because I listened to the song for the second time today, and for some reason it gave me a Breeders vibe, so I went and listened to Glorious.

Anyway, enjoying this song quite a bit, simplistic lyrics and all.
Go to Top of Page

QuaBear
- FB Fan -

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2020 :  17:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know...I really enjoy this song. Something about it catches me...Joey's guitar's are great as usual, and just the vibe of the song...

as far as the lyrics go, and perhaps this is just me, but what drew the Pixies to me in the first place was the sound...and this song just has the Pixies feel to it...there's something effortless about it as well...

I don't know, I enjoy it...
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2020 :  03:16:12  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I also really like it. Lyrics could have been better but the vocal itself and the phrasing (Frank gave her some direction here) is excellent.

Go to Top of Page

tamefan
- FB Fan -

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  14:06:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After 17 plays, I'm still a fan of this song.

Pixies 2.0. is starved for short, fast ones, so I was immediately favourable to it for that reason alone. That it's also successful on multiple levels (guitar work, quirkiness, some hard drumming) seals the deal for me. The lyrics are excusable because BTE has boat loads of fan-fucking-tastic lyrics.

I wish they kept the crazy guitar tone (or whatever's making the melody in the first clip) from the studio session.And Charles' total nuttiness. Must watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ7Rm13uBvM

Edited by - tamefan on 10/07/2020 14:18:38
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2020 :  21:08:21  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T72ximlWgQ Mambo Sun.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Edited by - pixie punk on 10/15/2020 21:09:07
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2020 :  02:21:49  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T72ximlWgQ Mambo Sun.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

I like it. I remember FB saying he decided to leave this track off the album because it wasn't great. But it's definitely worthy of a double AA side, and the best track IMO

I went looking for this yesterday and could only find the T-Rex version so thanks for uploading this.

Incidentally I watched a live version of T-Rex playing this on YouTube that was allegedly recorded 3 days after I was born. So when this song was originally out I would just have been a ickle baby.
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2020 :  08:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only listened once and was a bit meh. But I am sure it will be better by Mambo #5.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2020 :  10:23:43  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was expecting a bit of meh, so I wasn't necessarilly disappointed.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2020 :  17:53:22  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good stuff. Feels like a 2020 thing - dust off something that's been kicking around and finish it, because hey, nothing else going on - but it's great, and I love Paz getting some spotlight. I haven't heard the Mambo Sun yet - not sure if anyone else has. I haven't read back through the whole thread here yet. I love Mambo Sun though, and knowing that song, I suspect the Pixies treatment will serve it extremely well. Looking forward to the record showing up.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 10/16/2020 17:53:55
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2020 :  13:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn, they did a good job on Mambo Sun - love Frank's delivery, Paz's backing and Joey's lead. This double single should round out the bonus disc nicely.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2020 :  13:03:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't it Black himself on backing vocals? It's great.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2020 :  20:19:52  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally heard the Mambo Sun yesterday (or maybe the day before...? days all blend together). I didn't realize it was out, I'd only caught the Paz song. Mambo is pretty damn good. I don't think they topped the original, but that's a bold goal :P Nice bone to chew on though.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2020 :  07:18:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mambo is getting better after a few listens
Went back to Bolan's version... and I think the Pixies take is better.
A bit like for J&M Chain's Head On cover, the groove is stronger, the electricity is everywhere, and Charles' vocals are more interesting
Would have felt out of place on BTE though

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"

Edited by - sdon on 11/02/2020 07:18:10
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2020 :  11:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weird hearing it every day on 6music, sometimes twice a day. Maybe the bland lyrics help in that regard.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2020 :  12:31:18  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I heard it on 6 Music the other day, the Paz song. Expectations can often alter your perception, but hearing it come on randomly while I was in the kitchen allowed my fresh ears to experience it unbastardised by my preconceptions, and it came across a bit better and I didn't mind it. I mean, considering some of the tripe that gets playlisted to death on 6music during the day these days it's hard not to like it. I think it's better than the cheesy pop singles from BTE. Just has a nice somewhere in between jingly jangly indie pop music of the late 80's and the brit pop depression of the mid 90's.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  09:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.redbrick.me/single-review-pixies-hear-me-out-mambo-sun/
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2021 :  08:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Post from Paz on Instagram, the next Pixies video is done...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYI-Rhjrd-1/?utm_medium=copy_link
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2960 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2022 :  10:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm excited
Go to Top of Page

jake3
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2022 :  04:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2022 :  11:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like this Instagram post was removed again in the meantime. I hope this isn't indication that whatever was planned is now put on hold.
-oddball
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2022 :  12:22:33  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope it's not a Zoom collaboration recording
Go to Top of Page

Speedy Franky
- FB Fan -

France
45 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2022 :  00:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Paz instagram page (https://www.instagram.com/p/CZQAJWBLN6O/) and Tom Dalgety, they seem to be in Guilford Sound, a recording studio in Vermont. New album on the way ?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000