-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 New Release.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pixie punk Posted - 09/09/2020 : 12:13:17
https://mainstvinyl.com/UPC/4050538606324

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 03/03/2022 : 06:05:02
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

I find the solo really really boring :(

What were you expecting, Dean Ween?
billgoodman Posted - 03/02/2022 : 23:49:40
As with BTE I totally dig all the stuff in the background

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
billgoodman Posted - 03/02/2022 : 23:34:12
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

I suspect it's not the lyrical simplicity or the saccharine chorus (made all-the-sweeter by those hand claps). No, I think the problem is Joey's absence during the verses and his artless chord progression during the chorus. He isn't bringing much to the table, except for the solo, which is fairly forgettable, by Pixies standards, but is nevertheless evocative, thanks to a fantastic guitar tone and the brief duelling guitars going on, which is cool. The verses are literally Paz's thudding bass, the Arcade Fire-sounding organ, and Charles' vocal hook at about halfway thru the verse (imo the best part of the song). There's not much and it's sort of mushed together in the mix. The verses need Joey doing something weird and the chords during the chorus should be replaced with a melody that better conveys some emotion.

Arcade Fire was also one of my first thoughts

Good review, man!

billgoodman Posted - 03/02/2022 : 23:32:13
I do love the key change
One of the very few suprises in the song

Troubles A Foot Posted - 03/02/2022 : 15:47:05
I find the solo really really boring :(
Bedbug Posted - 03/02/2022 : 13:39:31
Two thumbs up from me.

I felt like if someone said "here's a Catholics B-side you've never heard of" I would have believed them after the first listen.

Thanks Frank for another nice song.
oddball Posted - 03/02/2022 : 13:19:51
I really enjoy reading your takes, Brank Flack and tamefan. It's something I've missed on this board and I'm glad this new release has marked a return to some thoughtful and interesting discussion. Someone mentioned that this was a song Frank Black played solo at a benefit concert last year. I wonder when the song was written.
-oddball
Sprite Posted - 03/02/2022 : 13:01:50
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I'm not so sure I agree - many of his love/heartbreak songs are lyrically quite rich and inventing. I'm thinking, for example, of Selkie Bride, I Burn Today, Honeycomb, and Death Horizon. Even with those aside, I think it's worth distinguishing between lyrical simplicity (Hank Williams, Johnny Cash - this is the side he leans towards on many of the Americana Catholics albums, in particular Show Me Your Tears) on the one side, and vague and unevocative lyrics that are just place holders for a melody on the other (this and Hear Me Out).

On first listen I was definitely getting a Catholics vibe.
tamefan Posted - 03/02/2022 : 12:54:34
I suspect it's not the lyrical simplicity or the saccharine chorus (made all-the-sweeter by those hand claps). No, I think the problem is Joey's absence during the verses and his artless chord progression during the chorus. He isn't bringing much to the table, except for the solo, which is fairly forgettable, by Pixies standards, but is nevertheless evocative, thanks to a fantastic guitar tone and the brief duelling guitars going on, which is cool. The verses are literally Paz's thudding bass, the Arcade Fire-sounding organ, and Charles' vocal hook at about halfway thru the verse (imo the best part of the song). There's not much and it's sort of mushed together in the mix. The verses need Joey doing something weird and the chords during the chorus should be replaced with a melody that better conveys some emotion.
Brank_Flack Posted - 03/02/2022 : 12:34:52
I'm not so sure I agree - many of his love/heartbreak songs are lyrically quite rich and inventive. I'm thinking, for example, of Selkie Bride, I Burn Today, Honeycomb, and Death Horizon. Even with those aside, I think it's worth distinguishing between lyrical simplicity (Hank Williams, Johnny Cash - this is the side he leans towards on many of the Americana Catholics albums, in particular Show Me Your Tears) on the one hand, and vague and unevocative lyrics that are just place holders for a melody on the other (this and Hear Me Out).
oddball Posted - 03/02/2022 : 12:25:16
With each listen, I'm hearing new things. Structurally/sonically, I think the song is very rich, much richer that the lyrics. But maybe that's the point. Frank Black has a knack for writing seeming "love/heartbreak" songs where deliberate lyrical simplicity, after repeated listens, gives way to melodically rich structuring. That's his art and craft.
-oddball
Sprite Posted - 03/02/2022 : 12:07:36
Although it does remind my a tiny tiny bit of Dance with Me Tonight (Olly Murs - if you don't know, don't look it up...)
Sprite Posted - 03/02/2022 : 12:02:00
OK I take it back, 3 listens now and I am starting to buzz. Plus Paz looks like she throws amazing parties!
Brank_Flack Posted - 03/02/2022 : 11:57:29
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Sentences I never thought I'd write.

I prefer their version of Que Sera Sera

(Seriously it's very good)

Agreed!

In addition to finding Human Crime bland, I'm glad it's a one off, because unlike auxfnx (sorry!) I'm very unimpressed with that artwork, so am glad it's not going to be the aesthetic of the next album.
Brank_Flack Posted - 03/02/2022 : 11:54:23
I like the production, specifically in the verses - the solo is also good - but unfortunately I find it a bit bland, which I have to admit I was expecting after reading the lyrics yesterday.
picpic Posted - 03/02/2022 : 11:09:12
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

It’s good because it doesn’t sound like the Pixies trying to make a Pixies song for Pixies fans
I’m still hooked by those BTE demos for similar reasons probably
Human Crime sounds like the two previous records, and sadly next one is also the same producer ?
I think I already don’t care about the next album. But A lot of rough and lo-fi Bsides or nice side projects like this will definitely do it for me.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Troubles A Foot Posted - 03/02/2022 : 09:56:25
Hm, should this not be its own thread?

Anyway, the video is cool (except that they're not in it. If a rock band video doesn't have the band in it embarrassing themselves I'M NOT INTERESTED!) and the song is catchy, though like many new Pixies songs, it feels quite mainstream and accessible and easy to like in ways I feel weird about still.
Sprite Posted - 03/02/2022 : 08:52:42

oddball Posted - 03/02/2022 : 08:46:25
If this was recorded in LA last fall, it might very well just be a stand-alone single, since the most recent round of recording wasn't in LA. I personally like it a lot, but, as is so often the case with new material, some love it and some hate it. It has the quirkiness, layers, and chord changes that make me a Pixies fan. I just hope there's more on the way. Those 40 songs mentioned in an interview got my hopes up.
-oddball
auxfnx Posted - 03/02/2022 : 08:42:38
quote:
Originally posted by oddball

Really, really good single. Apparently a stand-alone recorded last fall. Just played on BBC6. I just wish this was part of an album.
-oddball

aw drat!! i thought this was the beginnings of an album roll-out... that's pretty disappointing.

but the song is nice! i particularly like the keyboards/organ in the second verse. but yes, i do really wish it was just a preview for an album rather than a once-off. but hey, there is still an album on the way, sometime...
tamefan Posted - 03/02/2022 : 08:37:25
Went back and relistened to Hear Me Out, just to make sure. Yup. Their last round of music was really good. I'm not sure what happened with this new song... hopefully it isn't an ill omen.
Sprite Posted - 03/02/2022 : 08:27:52
First play.....Well I don't know. But sometimes that can be a positive sign.

But Blimey Lamacq, call them The Pixies for God's sake, everybody has been since the 80's. 'Pixies' sounds naff!
oddball Posted - 03/02/2022 : 08:20:04
Really, really good single. Apparently a stand-alone recorded last fall. Just played on BBC6. I just wish this was part of an album.
-oddball
Active Duck Posted - 03/01/2022 : 07:22:31
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/pixies/humancrime.html

"Human Crime"

I'm sorry I missed you
I was already gone
No goodnight kiss
No one for me to lean on
Into the blue sky
Takes me far away
Into the sunset
Rising in from another day

Don't you be unkind
That's a human crime
Don't you be so bright
It'll come back to you sometime

I went round your place
There was nobody there
At the cocktail lounge
Someone else was in your chair
Now even the sunshine
Feels like misery
Even the blue skies
Are falling down on me

Don't you be unkind
That's a human crime
Don't you be so bright
Don't you be unkind
That's a human crime
Don't you be so bright

Don't you be unkind
That's a human crime
Don't you be so bright
Don't you be unkind
That's a human crime
Don't you be so bright

Come back to you sometime
Come back to you sometime
Active Duck Posted - 03/01/2022 : 07:17:51
quote:
Originally posted by auxfnx

Is that the artwork for the single, or album?! If so, I LOVE it. Such a change of pace for Pixies. Never seen them use artwork like this before.
If not, and it's some Lamacq or BBC6 thing, then uhh nevermind haha

I'm guessing Pixies rather than Lamacq. They posted this gif on their twitter account too. Looks like the same artist https://giphy.com/gifs/pixiesofficial-crime-pixies-human-2dam0IQq3QVykEymn3
auxfnx Posted - 03/01/2022 : 06:27:39
Is that the artwork for the single, or album?! If so, I LOVE it. Such a change of pace for Pixies. Never seen them use artwork like this before.
If not, and it's some Lamacq or BBC6 thing, then uhh nevermind haha
Stevio10 Posted - 03/01/2022 : 06:14:51
New single 'Human Crime' debut tomorrow on BBC6 music

https://www.instagram.com/p/CakL7mxMru1/?utm_medium=copy_link

Edit: just an observation but Charles has lost some serious weight
Bedbug Posted - 03/01/2022 : 05:20:57
If any of it ends up on You Tube please link
billgoodman Posted - 02/28/2022 : 21:59:25
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:

It's happening. Looks like something is going to drop next week:
https://twitter.com/PIXIES/status/1497337995577360384?s=20&t=PoLeUhIvL8fzewurrDX-Lg

Great!

Surfing beat!

Jamie Posted - 02/28/2022 : 11:46:25
Some more clips on their Tiktok.
https://www.tiktok.com/@pixiesmusic
matto Posted - 02/26/2022 : 17:09:34
That's a clip from the one new song BF played at that fundraiser for the Yard Theater.

--------
baby poop, curry
Bedbug Posted - 02/26/2022 : 09:49:00
quote:

https://twitter.com/PIXIES/status/1497337995577360384?s=20&t=PoLeUhIvL8fzewurrDX-Lg

Great!
oddball Posted - 02/25/2022 : 13:58:07
Jason Posted - 02/06/2022 : 12:59:16
I wouldn't read too much into the 40 songs thing. That's just how a lot of these seasoned guys work. If you look into the stories behind Bob Dylan and Tom Petty albums, they might start off with 30-50 songs and then that gets sanded down to the 12 or so that work best together. It's not all that crazy.

My only takeaway is "More music coming, yay!"
Sprite Posted - 02/04/2022 : 06:56:12
At least we know he wasn't faffing about during the pandemic, I was getting worried for a while watching these clips of him banging saucepans.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000