Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bonedry
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  19:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tiven, don' ask me why. i was reading the credits for spies like us. ring any bells?
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  23:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone been able to get any info re when BELLE ISLE was recorded and/or what session it was from?

(( I'm a Snake... cut in half 'cause I'm not the one you needed. ))
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  06:23:19  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shoot, I think I came across it but can't recall if it was for that or another song, much less when. Think it may have been as far back as DITS, but again, not sure if it was that song or even if I'm right re:DITS.

So, in short, no. :)

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  16:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Bonedry,

But of course, the film features the song "Rock The House Down" as performed by Peter Aykroyd, written by Peter and myself. Peter's brother Dan was an actor in the film, and he played the song for the director, John Landis.
What is this doing in a Frank Black thread? There is actually a connection, be it slightly remote. The pianist on the session for that song, recorded in Los Angeles in 1983 (my first L.A. session) was Mark T. Jordan, who plays keys on FastmanRaiderman.
Alright, six degrees of separation done in just two or three!

bye,
Jon Tiven
Go to Top of Page

bonedry
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  22:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
peter's brother dan? don't make stuff up. i know peter aykroyd, but a dan, that's just silly. no, 3/14/06, in the morning we watched spies like us and i watched the credits, and later that day frank hath wrought a flurry of perfectly composed rock n' roll upon mine ears. mr. tiven, be well and thank you.
Go to Top of Page

bonedry
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  22:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh yeah, what's this doing in a frank black thread? some guy named jon tiven produced some songs for him!
Go to Top of Page

Billy Radcliffe
- FB Fan -

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  19:50:20  Show Profile  Visit Billy Radcliffe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So who wrote Snake Oil then? When I do a search on it all i get is 'bunji garlin'

...And if I'm right, the urban plight is not the problem.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  00:11:22  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nope, I already downloaded the "bunji" song from soulseek and it's not that one. It's amazing that no one has found the name of the original band yet.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

houstonguthrie
- FB Fan -

187 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  16:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been rocking on Belle Isle lately - is this a great song or what?? I've heard some other versions - and none of them would have caught my ear had I not heard Frank's version.

I've not yet heard the original version of "Burnt out Rock and Roll" - but from what I've heard - it's the same kind of deal. In that people have been asking "How did Frank recognize this as a great tune?". same thought came to me when hearing other versions of Belle Isle

Well he's got the knack I guess. Same could be said for "Changing of the Guard" and "Going Down" - in my opinion given new life in Frank's renditions.

Best part of "Belle Isle" is when Frank sings the line "and go through my hardship and tooooooolllllllllll".

Best part of "Goin Down" is the breakdown when he's screaming "down down down down down down!!!" you know the one right?
Go to Top of Page

BenMumphrey
- FB Fan -

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  16:28:50  Show Profile  Visit BenMumphrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Belle Isle" was recorded by me during the Devil's Workshop sessions at 3rd Encore in North Hollywood. I believe Morris Tepper plays guitar in addition to the 4 core players (Boots/ D.Mac/ Davey P./ Chas.)

quote:
Originally posted by 1965

Has anyone been able to get any info re when BELLE ISLE was recorded and/or what session it was from?

(( I'm a Snake... cut in half 'cause I'm not the one you needed. ))

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  17:09:24  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ben! Welcome aboard!

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  23:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, thank you Ben! Nice to find out where BI fits in the picture now.

MCMLXV
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  00:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy Moly Ben! "The Breeders Engineer 2005-present" Please tell us more. Any news on the new Breeders album?
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  22:35:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great week...bought Christmass a few days ago, then just bought One More Road for the Hit and Snake Oil in the last 30 minutes off itunes. And I didn't buy them before why???? Living on Soul triggered the domino effect. God he is so great.

Actually the whole thing started thanks to Brian's podcast with Massif Centrale off of Christmass. Cannot wait until Bluefinger comes out in next few months since I have not heard it yet.

He really does sound like Springsteen when he sings "Down...down...down" early on in the song.

I'd rather be anywhere or doing anything
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  07:41:32  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by houstonguthrie

I've been rocking on Belle Isle lately - is this a great song or what?? I've heard some other versions - and none of them would have caught my ear had I not heard Frank's version.

I've not yet heard the original version of "Burnt out Rock and Roll" - but from what I've heard - it's the same kind of deal. In that people have been asking "How did Frank recognize this as a great tune?". same thought came to me when hearing other versions of Belle Isle

Well he's got the knack I guess. Same could be said for "Changing of the Guard" and "Going Down" - in my opinion given new life in Frank's renditions.

Best part of "Belle Isle" is when Frank sings the line "and go through my hardship and tooooooolllllllllll".

Best part of "Goin Down" is the breakdown when he's screaming "down down down down down down!!!" you know the one right?

changing of the guard toook forever for me to get into. i was wondering why out of so many dylan songs why this one. and then years later i fell in love. and i can't even tell you why.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  19:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so i bought OMRFTH and Snake Oil off iTunes ages ago and have switched laptops and had to re-install iTunes; i have the same user account so why aren't my old purchases there?

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  20:55:33  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They're not for sale Right now.

Do you have your old laptop? Are they on your iPod?
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2012 :  04:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
old ipod got stolen.

old laptop - i only have the hardrive so maybe need to have somemone lift the files. weird thing i sthey don't show up in my itunes account...there is a function there where you can d/l all your purchases..i dunno.

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2012 :  09:34:32  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can't download it because they don't have it.

You can get an external drive reader to plug in your old hard drive.

Is it SATA or mini-IDE?
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  02:44:33  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just looked at this in my account and I can download all the songs on OMRFTH and 1 song on Snake Oil in iTunes.

In the left margin, Store -> Purchases, then in the lower right corner Download Previous Purchases.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  04:39:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks hammer. i used that to get some other songs i realised that became unsynced but OMRFTH and Snkae Oil are not there. i wonder if its because i updated my e-mail, cc#, and address et cetera??? i know i didnt create a new account, unlesssssssssss i used my daughters account, that coulda been it.....ahhh shit

Go to Top of Page

Neptune
- FB Fan -

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2022 :  14:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So it's been another 10 years...anyone figure out who wrote "Snake Oil" yet??

Figured out the rest on my own, then found this thread and I was sure the answer would be here...but no!
Always thought this album was all covers, but couldn't find any info for an original for "Snake Oil" (the song)...but I've only put in about 45 minutes so far...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000